Why Rewatch Movies?

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
The only movie I ever repeatedly watched in theaters was Kevin Smith's Dogma.

I remember that was when I discovered Kevin Smith: I'd read a movie review that ran through the basic plot and mentioned the characters meeting God Herself a.k.a. Alanis Morissette. I was intrigued and went to watch it--discovering that the movie theater was practically empty when I did (I think I saw it during its end run).

But I loved it and went back. And again. And again. Tickets were cheap, I was single and bored and enjoyed it immensely so I watched it a total of 6 or 7 times.

Most times I was the only one in the theater. I remember one viewing where a middle aged woman came in and sat down then left inside of the first 5 minutes...and didn't return.

I smoked cigarettes back then and having worked as a movie theater usher in my teens I knew the pattern of what to expect from ushers checking up so since I was alone they never checked up and I could sit back with a smuggled soft drink and smoke away while having the entire theater to myself. It was surprisingly liberating.

Aside from Dogma I don't think I've watched anything but a Star Wars movie and Avatar in the theater more than twice.

Ramdin44

Jul 29, 2017
Actually good movies need to watch again again because there have many more things which should to learn. Like 'The Life of PI' I have watched this movie more than 5 times. And I have learn how to survive even in danger situation.

vashthblackseed

Mar 31, 2011
I've only re-watched a movie at the theater once. Went and saw Men in Black with a group of friends at release. Latter that week the girl I had been interested in wanted to see it, so I went again with her.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I rarely ever go to see the same movie twice or multiple times at the theater. The only exceptions were The Dark Knight, Mad Max: Fury Road, Ninja Turtles (2014), and Deadpool. If some people want to see the same multiple times at the theaters, I'm not going to bother with;that's their choice

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
It's an extension of the mentality of a film being worth seeing on the big screen in the first place, I suppose. Combine that with the fact that seeing a film in the theatre is an experience only available for a limited time, and suddenly it doesn't sound so far fetched.

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
Yeah... I have a better experience with movies when I don't have to wear earplugs because of the head splitting volumes that they play movies at. I don't want to watch a movie in the theater the *first* time, let alone multiple times.
The only times I go to theaters at all is if my friends are really hyped about something.

And if I do rewatch a movie, it's usually one that I *really* like, and over a year since the previous viewing (usually several years)

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
*shrug* because it's enjoyable? It's not common, but I'll occasionally like a movie so much that I see it again, like Pacific Rim or Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Outside the cinema I tend to rewatch movies I enjoy a few times but... well, that's because I enjoy them. Then again, I've also re-watched Farscape about... 9 times, so... maybe it's just my thing to rewatch things.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Sometimes to rewatch it with someone... Sometimes it's just nice to see a movie again though, reminder of why I liked it I guess? I enjoy seeing some scenes again regardless of whether I've seen them before

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
I don't know about seeing films multiple times in theaters as these days the bigger theaters try to bleed you dry and unless you're single, that shit gets expensive but going to the theater just lends itself to a better experience with some films. Not many, mind, but some.

Anyway, I miss the days of the local repertory theater in Ottawa, the Bytown Cinema. Where else could you see a double bill of Double Impact and JCVD on the big screen for like ten bucks? Seeing old films on the big screen is quite the novelty.

All that said, I think the last time I saw a modern film more than once in theaters was, I'm a bit ashamed to admit, was Episode 1. Naturally this was back in the days of more disposable income and in my defense, I went once with friends and the second time was with this girl I was into.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I rewatch movies and shows again and again.
Mostly it's because of boredom, or I need to kill time while eating (for example).
Though I wouldn't watch them if they weren't also good.

There is also the slim chance that you can realize something you missed the first time around, because now you know the general gist of where the plot is going or that your mind-state is slightly different the Nth time around.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Mostly it's because of boredom, or I need to kill time while eating (for example).
Yeah I do this too, not shows though, just movies. It's really just to have some background "noise" when I'm doing stuff and I don't feel like listening to music. I've seen Commando 87344523 times this way.

Seeing stuff twice in theaters is kind of a waste of money. The last movie I saw twice in theaters was The Revenant because some friends wanted to see it, before that it was Gladiator in... 2000 I think? Gladiator was still awesome. The Revenant, though... I couldn't wait to leave, it was good once, but holy shit what a boring fucking movie the second time around.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Wintermute said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Yeah I do this too, not shows though, just movies. It's really just to have some background "noise" when I'm doing stuff and I don't feel like listening to music. I've seen Commando 87344523 times this way.
Let me start out by apologizing and saying that I'm terribly sorry..but you hit a nerve there with me..
I just can't stay quiet! It bugs the hell out of me!

You haven't really "seen" Commando that many times. Watching a movie means Watching IT!
I could never have something like a movie/show/TV/Radio talk on in the background, nor live with one who does.
It would become a major distraction and rope me in. Some people even fall asleep to such things!
Why not just music? It's meant for ears only, and some can melt into the background.
Movies/etc are meant to be watched and it just seems such a waste to have something on, that you aren't even paying attention to.

Again, sorry..It's a major bugbear of mine.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Wintermute said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Let me start out by apologizing and saying that I'm terribly sorry..but you hit a nerve there with me..
I just can't stay quiet! It bugs the hell out of me!

You haven't really "seen" Commando that many times. Watching a movie means Watching IT!
I could never have something like a movie/show/TV/Radio talk on in the background, nor live with one who does.
It would become a major distraction and rope me in. Some people even fall asleep to such things!
Why not just music? It's meant for ears only, and some can melt into the background.
Movies/etc are meant to be watched and it just seems such a waste to have something on, that you aren't even paying attention to.

Again, sorry..It's a major bugbear of mine.
YOU'RE WRONG, BRO.

No but seriously, yeah I know I haven't seen Commando 98732476345 times, but what I mean is I'm familiar enough with the movie that I don't have to watch WATCH it, you know? Just hearing it in the background is enough when I'm doing chores around the house. And I can't stand it when I'm alone at home and it's all quiet, I have to have some "noise" if there's no one else. Sometimes it's movies, sometimes it's youtube, or music, news, etc. I love "watching" movies when I'm cleaning the house.

Also, I have some movies that work like "time machines" for me, and I don't have to actually re-watch them, just having them in the background is enough for me to "travel" back to happier times, and for the duration of the movie, it feels like I'm in a different period of my life. With songs it's a little different, some songs take me back to particular moments, instead of different year/years.

I'm not even sure I'm making any sense right now.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
I forget what happens in them. Plus some movies beg to be rewatched again and again. A Bridge Too Far, for example. The best war movie of all time and I will fight you if you disagree.

Plus rewatching colourful tv shows makes me feel happy. It's why I buy boxsets to begin with, not just rent or just watch them on Netflix.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
The city I live in has a "second run" theater. When tickets are only $3 (US) I've seen some movies dozens of times there. Its usually an event. Like "Rocky Horror" several movies they show there every so often and several people make an event of it. Or my university's yearly showing of Jaws... with the screen set up at the pool. Sometimes the spectacle makes it worth it, especially if the price is low enough. $3 for a couple of hours with friends and a good crowd watching Army of Darkness or The Thing or Big Trouble in Little China... its easily worth it.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I rarely do it if we're talking about multiple viewings in theaters. I don't go to movie theaters all that often to begin with, as I don't really enjoy the experience that much. I'm not a fan of being constantly bombarded by ads and trailers leading up to the show time. Then there's the wild card that is the audience; you never know whether they're going to behave themselves or not.

If we're talking about home viewings then I do it quite often. I have a small stable of favorite films that I'll pick from to watch every few months or so.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Hawki said:
Why Rewatch Movies?
Why not? You enjoyed it once. Instead of wasting time and money in other movies you enjoy less, why not to watch something you know you enjoy again?

Apr 5, 2008
I have a theory that enjoyment of rewatching media, replaying (story driven) games and rereading books aligns itself generally with people who don't give much of a damn about spoilers. A lot of people I know have a fear of spoilers so profound that even mentioning the name of a show will send them into a tizz. These are not the folks who rewatch things.

I can rewatch things I've enjoyed in the past. In part because most of it is better than what we have now (case in point, Star Wars), but also I don't particularly care about spoilers. In some cases I will actively seek discussions, speculations, theorising, leaks, rumours and whispers of rumours before a thing is out.

I think it comes down to enjoying the journey more than the destination. It doesn't matter about knowing the end or how things turn out, because it's still a joy to immerse oneself in the world, characters and situations. I also liken it to watching shows like Dexter or Smallville; going into either, you know (since these things do not exist in a vacuum) that the main character will never be in any actual danger. Yet I can still enjoy them all the same.

Most apt example: Have played Mass Effect trilogy in pretty much every configuration of sex, paragon/renegade, romance and choices....but always Vanguard, because that's how it is. Once SKSE64 is out, I'll probably have another Skyrim playthru too. My record for movies in the cinema was The Fugitive with Harrison Ford, about 25 years ago, when I watched it in the cinema four times, including once in french.