Why you shouldn't hate XB1:

freedash22

Jun 7, 2013
Another Xbox One apologist. We seem to be getting more and more of them these days.

Look, I dislike Xbox One because Microsoft attempted to control consumers using some really bad business practices and DRM. Okay, so they ditched it, but the fact that they ATTEMPTED it means that they cannot be trusted and they do not have the consumer's best interests in mind. And I will not entrust my treasured gaming life to such an entity.

Ever heard of "attempted murder"? You get the point.

I saw everything that Microsoft did. It disappoints me that the XBOX One tried all that crap. But if you want to go ahead and support anti-consumer business practices in gaming, who am I to stop you?

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
theuprising said:
-Because the original policy wasn't anti-consumer at all... MS didn't NEED to add more DRM; the piracy rates on consoles are relatively low thanks to physical DRM on discs, they were planning to make everything digital, and thus required digital DRM similar to Steam's check-in. Of course Steam's check-in is something like once every 2 weeks, but Steam doesn't let you sell your games or share them with your friends.
Steam...doesn't check in...?

-How is no one excited about having modding on a console?
I...wait...what? Modding? Since when was that a feature?

-Most ppl see the Kinect 2 as a selling point, since multimedia features are cool for ppl who do things outside of game, and I can't be the only one who wants to see motion controlled hardcore games, which the K2 is capable of delivering. It can even read your emotions and change gameplay according to that...
Hardcore kinect have mostly been fairly naff (Steel Batallion anyone?). Hardcore games want either a controller or KBM because they give DEFINITE input (as Kevin butler said, they have buttons)

-MS has invested in cloud computing, which may not be a HUGE thing at the present moment, though it was important enough for Titanfall to be a Microsoft exclusive, but in years to come it will pay off and help future proof the console. Yes Sony also has some form of cloud storage but nothing close to the scale of Windows Azure.
'The power of the cloud' is largely a buzz word, cloud computing likely won't have much effect on real-time calculation (physics, graphics obviously) they'll likely calculating something separate when it's not actively being used(such as the 'Drivatar', which will mostly likely be 'made' in the cloud, but will only run locally or will only be a CPU AI in the same way that any AI in an online game is)

-Also, I work for Microsoft, because ppl who disagree with the internet hivemind don't exist.
You remind me of my old housemate who would get angry when I would dissect any of his arguments about Halo, Gears or the Xbox One

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
dumbseizure said:
Why is it that the only xbone threads I've seen in the last couple of days have been "Don't hate Xbone" threads?

No one was talking about the xbone until you say stop hating it.
Yeah. I don't like to wear a tinfoil hat all the often but these posts out of nowhere are really starting to look like an engineered attempt to keep the Xbox one relevant.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
launchpadmcqwak said:
theuprising said:
ShinyCharizard said:
Disagree on the Kinect. I'd say most people see it as a useless peripheral that achieves nothing but to increase the price of the console.
"Hardcore" gamers, yes, though they make a small percentage of the audience and don't even account for all "hardcore" gamers. And no one likes change in general even if its good for them. "What's this thumbstick good for? You can go all useful directions with a thumbpad, end of argument. Ew a rumble pack? A short-lived gimmick."
you say that only hardcore gamers would be annoyed, then say that one of the main attractions to the new system would be modding?.
This. You can have one, or the other... not both.

OT: What a useless thread. It gives us literally nothing that we haven't overdiscussed, and has the opposite effect of what is intended.

I mean, I didn't even harbor any explicitly angry feelings to the XB1 for a few weeks now, and now someone's gone and mentioned "sharing with your friends" and now I'm full of hate all over again.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
dumbseizure said:
Why is it that the only xbone threads I've seen in the last couple of days have been "Don't hate Xbone" threads?

No one was talking about the xbone until you say stop hating it.
This, but imma humour them.

theuprising said:
-Because the original policy wasn't anti-consumer at all... MS didn't NEED to add more DRM; the piracy rates on consoles are relatively low thanks to physical DRM on discs, they were planning to make everything digital, and thus required digital DRM similar to Steam's check-in. Of course Steam's check-in is something like once every 2 weeks, but Steam doesn't let you sell your games or share them with your friends.
But they did add more DRM. In shitty inconvenient ways. Which is stupid because as you said, it wasn't needed. Also, Steam has offline mode.

You really think Microsoft are into supporting a modding community. letmelaughevenharder.gif

-Most ppl see the Kinect 2 as a selling point, since multimedia features are cool for ppl who do things outside of game, and I can't be the only one who wants to see motion controlled hardcore games, which the K2 is capable of delivering. It can even read your emotions and change gameplay according to that...
Well most people didn't say much when what you suggest is the minority decided they didn't want a mandatory gimmick or for the console to be focussed on anything other than games. Basically, people generally don't prefer motion controls because they're worse than buttons for most things. The only things about the Kinect people like generally are voice control, and that's it.

-MS has invested in cloud computing, which may not be a HUGE thing at the present moment, though it was important enough for Titanfall to be a Microsoft exclusive, but in years to come it will pay off and help future proof the console. Yes Sony also has some form of cloud storage but nothing close to the scale of Windows Azure.
I don't care, and also someone at some point said it was probably bullshit. EDIT: Ok, serious answer, I'd rather my console could play games itself than be able to access a service that plays games. Years to come will not come if Microsoft keeps handling its new features so poorly.

-Also, I work for Microsoft, because ppl who disagree with the internet hivemind don't exist.
They certainly exist, they just all work for Microsoft, as you apparently know.

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
I read an article on BBC today stating that a premium membership is needed to use netflix and skype which is absolute horse shit. Fine I get the whole xbox membership fee to play multiplayer because hey, someone needs to pay for the servers right? What I don't understand is why netflix and browsing the internet via your xbox should cost anything. They should really stop shooting themselves in the foot. So while I don't hate it (nor will I have reason to because I just won't purchase it being a PC gamer), I do feel sorry for the people who won't read the fine print and go out and buy it and expect to use web services without paying a premium.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
theuprising said:
-Of course Steam's check-in is something like once every 2 weeks, but Steam doesn't let you sell your games or share them with your friends.
Steam doesn't have checkins at all. As a matter of fact I run Steam in mostly offline mode.

theuprising said:
xBone had modding? That's news to me, that is something that they should have marketed better.

theuprising said:
-Most ppl see the Kinect 2 as a selling point, since multimedia features are cool for ppl who do things outside of game,
Hmm, what other console made by a certain rival company focused primarily on multimedia and was easily outsold? (Hint: It begins with a "P" and ends with a "3")

theuprising said:
and I can't be the only one who wants to see motion controlled hardcore games, which the K2 is capable of delivering. It can even read your emotions and change gameplay according to that...
We will never have hardcore games with motion controls. They just don't work. You can't play an FPS without a controller/KB+M or atleast a means of actually moving your fucking character.

theuprising said:
You know, it would be nice if they actually explain to us how this works instead of just promising us it'll be great. Until I know how it works and can see a noticeable difference I'm just going to assume it's more "blast processing" bullshit.

theuprising said:
I don't see who you work for as being relevant.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
theuprising said:
"Steam is bad therefore the Xbone should be bad as well."
This is your argument? Really? Also, Steam has a "once every 30 days" check-in. Steam has insane sales, steam WILL allow you to sell your games soon or they will lose the European market, which is a huge part of their market.
Steam is on a PC, a device that is almost 100% of the times connected on the internet unless you have a limit on your internet, in which case you shouldn't be getting digital games at all.
And most importantly, Steam isn't the only store. You have Amazon, GoG, GMG, Impulse... On the xbone you would ONLY have the MS store.

theuprising said:
Because I already have my PC and I don't need crippled "modding" on a console. And they will never allow you mods that you could find on the PC because you will never have much freedom. At best you will be able to change skins. New content is probably a huge NO in MS eyes.

theuprising said:
The Kinect 2 increases the price of the consoles without giving any benefits for me, same as many other "features" that are US only. The console will be heavily crippled in my region after release, yet I would have to pay the full price.
Also, I don't want to use motion controls. The Wii had enough motion controls for my taste and even then only in games with swords or CoD (which was the best version of CoD of the last gen).

theuprising said:
Titanfall is an MS exclusive because MS payed for it, like pretty much every single exclusive the Xbox had minus Halo and Forza. Cloud computing had absolutely nothing to do with it.
And how the fuck do you know about the "scale" of Azura? We have some minimum info, not even enough for proper speculation.

theuprising said:
Was kinda obvious. But hey, people don't accuse you of that because you disagree with the internet hivemind. They just accuse of it because you defend the biggest abomination and most anti-consumer console in gaming history.

Jun 16, 2010
theuprising said:
Well, when you join this site in the midst of the controversy, and 90% of your posts are either about or in defence of the XBone, what are we supposed to think?
You're a regular, totally unbiased guy who's just trying to have a down-to-earth discussion about videogames?

Orthodox_Reality

May 28, 2013
May or may not have been mentioned before... but take a look at OP's previous posts: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/posts/theuprising?f_sort=datestamp+desc&f_page=2.

There are exactly two topics commented on that don't have a close relationship with Microsoft/Xbone/PS4. I would say draw your own conclusions, but I smell a shill.

Feylynn

Feb 16, 2010
If you want my personal opinions to gain insight on why someone might not like the same things as you I have a handful of points.
-No backwards compatibility to my knowledge.
-No portability (A personal preference in how I play games that are not on my PC but a personal preference is a solid personal reason).
-No launch titles I'm interested in.
-Absolutely zero interest in one hundred percent of what the Kinect could, can, and will be able to deliver in my lifetime.
-Don't watch TV.
-Don't have any friends that use any xBox based services.
-Can already mod on my PC, likely much easier, and with more freedom.
-It was rumored that the game sharing was very limited in the content that was shared. Let's pretend it was not, and that I had friends that used Microsoft consoles to share with. I would still not be that interested in the feature until it allowed equivalent freedom to the local multiplayer days of old where one copy let four people play.

I hate the PS3, and PS4 for many of the same reasons but Sony gets exclusives I'm more interested in and my friends occasionally use their PS3.

If you want my guess as to why people in general still hate on the XB1 outside of that then I have four.
-Personal preference means even with a positive light the XB1 isn't all that impressive to many.
-Microsoft has been comically ham handed with marketing and PR.
-Sony is pretty much the best at marketing and PR.
-First impressions are important.

kurokotetsu

Proud Master
Sep 17, 2008
theuprising said:
I just have a question. Why would you want to point this out? First, people might think this regardless. It doesn't make you sound less biased. You don't share any new information (well maybe the modding, but meh). You just bring a point that undermines your statement even further.

ALso, yes, the internet is a hivemind. We all have the same opinions and we all share them in peace all the time, except for "mavericks" like yourself.

AS for the Xbone hate, I will keep it up thank you. Nothing you said makes me change my mind. ANd I would like to point you to Kim Sterling's very fun series Jimquisition about the Used games and PC and XBone to explain my hate in a more eloquent matter.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
It's not like bloody steam! Does everyone who says this insanity only use consoles and have never actually used steam?
24 hour checks and $65 price tags are not like steam at all. You can share your games with friends, give them your login info, let them get the game, turn on offline mode, then you log in. And that amazing sharing option for xbox one? It was heavily understated but the publishers controlled how you shared, it could be a demo, or a limited play time or full share. So there's no telling how it would have actually been.
There's an offline mode for steam, yes which you stated and I've not heard of an actual limit to how long it goes but when you can get games on Xbox from 15%-95% off THEN you can say it's like steam. That's why people tolerate the DRM, it's noninvasive, easy to use and they have daily sales and monster sales.

Xbox Ones DRM is nothing like steam, it doesn't compare to even Origin or Uplay or gamestops digital service. The PSN has better DRM, buy Final Fantasy VII on PS3? Want to install it to your PSP and PSV too? Play them all at the same time you say? Go ahead! Online check ins? what's that? Shut up with the questions and play FFVII....Oh you're playing Tomba now, on all 3. Good on ya.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
I don't hate the xbone. I just don't care. It doesn't offer anything I want. What bothers me is the people who feel like they need to buy at least one of the consoles. It's sad.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I don't hate the Xbox One, I just really dislike it, there's a big difference. I don't think I need to explain why, there are about three pages worth of criticism on this thread that will speak for me.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Mid Boss said:
That being said, I don't beleive our OP, theuprising, is a paid shill. If you look at his profile, he's posted 41 times and his "health bar" is already in the red. Companies don't want their defense associated with someone who's known around the forums to be an ass hole. So, this man is blatantly not a paid shill.
Fair enough. That makes sense.

Still though, it's quite telling how the OP seems to have disappeared, and hasn't responded to the counter arguments people have presented here.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I just don't see anything good in it or at least anything better than i already have. And kinect a selling point? Hardcore games controlled with kinect? Are you kidding me? The best it can do is dance central or some overly simplistic mini game.

Sep 24, 2008
I put all of my furor and feelings in the first few weeks that the Xbox One in may. It's now past May.

I'm left with this feeling, and this directly goes to the OP Hivemind comment:

I dislike the Xbox One because of it doing things I dislike. I will not go buy if it everyone tells me it's great. I will not prevent myself from buying it if everyone says it sucks but I like it.

You have not convinced me that I should change my mind. No poster can, no greatly drawn argument can. Only Microsoft can. They haven't. Hate remains.

IceForce said:
Still though, it's quite telling how the OP seems to have disappeared, and hasn't responded to the counter arguments people have presented here.
I think it's more telling that he spouts off 'hip and trendy lingo' like 'internet hivemind'... and the only reason for this thread is to change everyone's minds to a position he thinks is acceptable.

Mid Boss

Aug 20, 2012
IceForce said:
Mid Boss said:
That being said, I don't beleive our OP, theuprising, is a paid shill. If you look at his profile, he's posted 41 times and his "health bar" is already in the red. Companies don't want their defense associated with someone who's known around the forums to be an ass hole. So, this man is blatantly not a paid shill.
Fair enough. That makes sense.

LOL! You know, maybe he got fired! That would be hilarious.