Wii U to be quickly outdated?

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
Vault101 said:
DigitalAtlas said:
I have all three consoles. I'm pretty safe in the fanboy department.

I personally think Wii has the most fun exclusives. I think Sony has the most exclusives. And I think MS is great for social networking and downloading. Simple as really.
which is fine

my point is I don't hate on the Wii because I'm some COD obsessed dumbass

I hate on it because it does absolutly nothing for me in terms of what I want out of a platform and my gaming tastes
Well, then don't go saying it'll be outdated if it doesn't serve your tastes. That's just stupid. Don't say it has bad games if they're just not what you want in games. That's even more stupid. The stupidest thing possible (I really hope you haven't done any of these things...) here is to say the Wii doesn't have ANYTHING for you, it's either limited or in great amount and you haven't found it. Go rent Fragile Dreams for a week. Trust me.

Bassik

Jun 15, 2011
Don't we have this thread everytime Nintendo brings out something new, or a competitor of Nintendo brings out a similair product?

Not every gamer wants a system with the latest graphics and the latest grey shooter that they then can play against assholes on the internet. A lot of people want exactly what Nintendo has to offer, and has always offered.

Vault101 said:
my point is I don't hate on the Wii because I'm some COD obsessed dumbass

I hate on it because it does absolutly nothing for me in terms of what I want out of a platform and my gaming tastes
What a silly thing to say; you hate a toy because the toy does not do the exact same thing as your other toy? The whole reason Nintendo does it's own thing is because it knows it can't compete with Microsoft and Sony in the "hardcore" game departement, but has a tremendous advantage when it comes to platformers, party games and casual games.

A lot of people don't want a console that has mostly shooters on it, a lot of people want to gather their mates and play a Mario game, or get stoned and play Mario Party, etcetera.
The way you game is not the only way people game, you know.

EDIT:
I wish the internet was around a bit longer, it would have been great to go back in time and check out posts like: "No joystick on the controller: nintendo lost it's mind!!1", "Rumble pack is just another gimmick", "Mario is so lame, he has no attitude like Sonic. He will dissapear while the culturally relevant sonic remains supreme 4 ever!!!"

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
DigitalAtlas said:
Well, then don't go saying it'll be outdated if it doesn't serve your tastes.
its just an observation alot of people are saying, mabye some people are coming from a less than level headed place, but its nothing to get worked up over

because I am geniounly curious as too whats going on with the Wii U...[quote/]That's just stupid. Don't say it has bad games if they're just not what you want in games. That's even more stupid. The stupidest thing possible (I really hope you haven't done any of these things...) here is to say the Wii doesn't have ANYTHING for you, it's either limited or in great amount and you haven't found it. Go rent Fragile Dreams for a week. Trust me.[/quote]

aside from the usual Nintedo titles the Wii had a fuck ton of shovel ware, very off putting

[b/]that said[/b] however I havnt heard of thease games before, and mabye thats the other problem, for whatever reason if thease games are any good they got pushed out of the limelight in favor of the other stuff..who's fault is that? Nintendo? the geneal gaming public?

looking at fragile dreams release date it seems by then most "core" gamers had given up on the Wii (pure speculation)

anyway, by the time I got my decent laptop I was more focused on multiplatform releases, and genrally I still am so I don't really care about "console wars" I just care about the stuff I can play

I mean alot of people have more than one platform, you could get by one just an xbox, on just a PS3 or just a PC

personally though a Wii by itsel;f I still don't think offers much...

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Bassik said:
I don;t think much of the Wii but if some peopel truly are happy with it then good for them

I just find it cathartic to say not nice things about it

Bassik

Jun 15, 2011
Vault101 said:
Bassik said:
I don;t think much of the Wii but if some peopel truly are happy with it then good for them
I'm very happy with the Wii, some of my favorite games came out for it. My friends and I play with it all the time.

Well that's a bit peculiar, isn't it?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Bassik said:
not really...we are on the internet, and I do have some issues with the Wii, so I just let it be known

kind of like Skyrim as well

Bassik

Jun 15, 2011
Vault101 said:
Bassik said:
not really...we are on the internet, and I do have some issues with the Wii, so I just let it be known

kind of like Skyrim as well
You do realise that those avatars and posts represent real people, right? Not some computer generated personalities for you to lock horns with.
Debate and opinion are fine, but you don't do any of those things, you just ***** about a toy that a lot of people happen to like.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Bassik said:
You do realise that those avatars and posts represent real people, right? Not some computer generated personalities for you to lock horns with.
Debate and opinion are fine, but you don't do any of those things, you just ***** about a toy that a lot of people happen to like.
I don't ***** about (or troll..trollings for scum), I just say why I don't like things...mabye somtimes with a ltitle more agression thats needed but we all get emotional somtimes

and I'll alway provide reasons

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
dragongit said:
I've been keeping track of much of E3s coverage this year, as much as I can find at least. Honestly on that subject it's been a rather lack luster year with only a few promising titles.

Watching the Wii U and seeing what it's capable of, I begin to wonder how long it'll be relevant if Sony and Microsoft's technology completely outdates Nintendo's. Right now from news reports it's "on par" or even slightly better then the current generation. I wouldn't doubt that either, concidering the Wii U's hardware isn't 6+ years old. With Sony and Microsoft still developing their next gen, and the Unreal 4 engine in the works, will Wii U have a place with third party developers for long? Or will it simply become the family oriented, gimicy system that the Wii turned out to be.

Granted, the Wii thrived on the Casual audience for years topping the system sales charts. It might have an initial push being the first out the door Granted.Though it feels as soon as the other two compeditors get their new systems out there, third party developers will drop support for the WiiU save for a few gimicy games they produce from time to time.
Damn I thought there was news that this was just a facelifted/performance boost for the Wii to give it more life, and that a real proper new Nintendo console was actually coming.

But yeah what you say is (no offence) kinda obvious, even though its true, I always thought this, so not entirely news imo, just a solid opinion that likely be true.

Bassik

Jun 15, 2011
Vault101 said:
Bassik said:
I don't ***** about (or troll..trollings for scum), I just say why I don't like things...mabye somtimes with a ltitle more agression thats needed but we all get emotional somtimes
What, about a videogame machine that you don't even own or want to own? Can't you just accept that it's not made for people like you, it's made for people like me.
The wii-U is going to do fine, I'll probably get it as soon as I can. (With the new Mario and Rayman. Seriously, off topic here, how cool is it that Rayman is back for reals?)

It's like people are judging the Wii and Wii-U based on standards that they would like in a console. But we already have consoles you like: the Xbox and Playstations. Do we honestly need three of the same consoles, where the only difference is in it's first party games?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Bassik said:
What, about a videogame machine that you don't even own or want to own? Can't you just accept that it's not made for people like you, it's made for people like me.
my problem with the Wii doesnt really extend beyond the effort it takes to type this, and I do

catering to a different audience is a good thing, I still think it was hurt by lack luster 3rd party suport but thats another thing

it doesnt matter..it sold well enough

[quote/]The wii-U is going to do fine, I'll probably get it as soon as I can. (With the new Mario and Rayman. Seriously, off topic here, how cool is it that Rayman is back for reals?)

It's like people are judging the Wii and Wii-U based on standards that they would like in a console. But we already have consoles you like: the Xbox and Playstations. Do we honestly need three of the same consoles, where the only difference is in it's first party games?[/quote]

I'm judging the Wii U because "who" its ment to apeal to exactally is kind of confusing, I guess if your a nintendo fan and have the money for another console...

I dont care if the Wii U succeeds or fails, I'm just geniounly curious...I also dotn know enough to make a prediction

Bassik

Jun 15, 2011
Vault101 said:
my problem with the Wii doesnt really extend beyond the effort it takes to type this, and I do
Well that's kind of weird, maybe I misunderstood you, but it sounded like you sayd you don't really hate the Wii, you just type like that. Sorry if I didn't understand.

catering to a different audience is a good thing, I still think it was hurt by lack luster 3rd party suport but thats another thing

it doesnt matter..it sold well enough
Yeah. The seal of quality never ment much anyway, and now it's a complete joke. But I know we can always count on first and second party games to be the best at what they do.
(Seriously, Rayman origins, Seriously. Best platformer since Mario 3)

I'm judging the Wii U because "who" its ment to apeal to exactally is kind of confusing, I guess if your a nintendo fan and have the money for another console...
I don't have the money for another console, by the way. But gaming isn't my hobby, really, it's kind of watching the telly, something fun to do to pass the time.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Vault101 said:
Gotta agree with you there, I have no idea who this console is even aimed at. Are they going after the 'hardcore' crowd or the 'casual' crowd? I really can't tell, and ATM it seems like Nintendo are trying to be a jack of all trades but not really pulling it off on either front.

Supertegwyn

Oct 7, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
Baldr said:
At the least, it going to get at least 1 year of being the rich kid on the block. We don't know any of the price structures yet. New Xbox and PS could be $600 which is killer in a bad economy, which means only new games will come out on the affordable WiiU(Assuming the low specs makes it affordable.) verses them not coming out on the Xbox360 and PS3.
There is no way in hell the next xbox and ps4 will be anywhere near $600. After the PS3's launch all the console developers know that the vast majority of consumers won't touch a console that costs over $400 with a ten foot pole.
The Wii U has a retail price of $598 in Australia.

I can only dream of what the PS4 and Xbox 3 will cost.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Bassik said:
[
Well that's kind of weird, maybe I misunderstood you, but it sounded like you sayd you don't really hate the Wii, you just type like that. Sorry if I didn't understand.
I don't like it but I don't "hate" it..I don;t think anyone activly "hates" random things onthe internet

[quote/]I don't have the money for another console, by the way. But gaming isn't my hobby, really, it's kind of watching the telly, something fun to do to pass the time.[/quote]

that doesn't neccecaryly imply having a certain kind of taste in games/platforms

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Supertegwyn said:
The Wii U has a retail price of $598 in Australia.

I can only dream of what the PS4 and Xbox 3 will cost.
might as well get a gaming PC/laptop :p

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Supertegwyn said:
I do, but those prices are ridiculous.
that's my point, if I'm going to spend that kind of money on a console then why not just drop the extra few hundred for something supperior? and I think its probably best to wait and see anyway (when buying a console)

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
DigitalAtlas said:
The Heik said:
Hi there... You DOOOO know the very definition you posted for innovation lacks anything towards "quality of the idea," correct? So, by your definition. Nintendo is VERY innovative

Pikmin created a genre, all their franchise releases try something different if their isn't a number in the title (introducing something different to something already exist....), and now let's go into the Wii-U controller.

It's very innovative, by your own definition. Don't remember? Let's requote it:

"From the Now Oxford American Dictionary:
innovate
verb [ intrans. ]
make changes in something established, esp. by introducing new methods, ideas, or products."

Okay so, let's break this down...

>... in something established

Okay, gaming. There's something established. As well as basic controllers and convention of play.

>make changes...

Hm, I see no tablet controllers anywhere else that interact as a separate screen entirely as well as a portable controller.... I also don't see a console that allows old controllers to work on new games. Hm.

>...by introducing new methods, ideas, or products."

Well, it's certainly a new product that's launching a whole line of new products. It's a completely new idea, especially on the social side of things, and it's a new method entirely.

By the very definition you went out of your way to quote, you literally proved Nintendo is probably is most innovative company alive. Good job.
Ugh.....

Never in my life have I had someone actually miss the point of my post so hard. You should have read through my post a bit more thoroughly because at no point did I say that "Nintendo was not innovative". They've pushed a lot of changes and developments in gaming throughout the years, though they have pretty much BEEN gaming for it's first few years, so whatever they did early could have been seen as an innovation whether it was or not. All I stated was that the Wii specifically was not innovative, as all of it's supposed features had already existed in the same format for years, if not decades.

Which makes me wonder how in the name of my giddy green aunt you got onto the Wii U from my post when I was talking about the Wii in that context. However for debate's sake let me mention that the concept of a touchscreen combined with button controls has already existed for years, ironically from the very company who's selling the Wii U as innovative aka the Nintendo DS. So really the Wii U is just a rehash of one of the company's older products. As such there is not a bit of innovation to been seen within miles of it. It's the same damn gimmick with a different paint job. That's it

Now lets go on to the issue of semantics. Now when you say "new" for all these things, you should really say "latest installment" within the context of innovation as when the dictionary uses the word new, it means it in the sense of "never before seen" such as 3D when it was first introduced to film in the 1910s. However in this context of the games industry most (if not all) of the things you've mentioned as new from Nintendo have been further installments of older products. While they do (hopefully) improve a product, the term "new" in it's original meaning (rather than the more recent slang of it) doesn't effectively describe them because while they may be chronologically "new", they are refinements of previously existing things, so the term "latest installment" is a more accurate description of the whole dynamic of the situation. If we used "new" your way then every last single thing that has ever been made has been an innovation, and to misquote Syndrome from the Incredibles here "when everything's innovative, nothing is". The word loses all meaning.

So please good sir, for my sake, your sake, and for the sake of energy conservation, don't go off half-cocked before you've properly analyzed the data. It'll save every involved a lot of needless hassle.

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
People who compare this launch to the Wii clearly do too much acid to remember anything before 2008. The circumstance is totally different, the 360 came out ages before either Wii or PS3, which came out just a few months apart. The Wii was simply developed without graphical capabilities in mind, which is why it underperformed so much in that area. The Wii U is releasing with more or less modern technology and in a generation that won't see as much improvement graphics wise from the last. Ports to Wii U and launch titles are going to mostly be the system's weakest titles, after all Wii didn't have No More Heroes, Mario Galaxy or even Twilight Princess at launch. 360 had no Halo 3, no Skyrim. PS3 had no Uncharted or MGS4. They had shitty thrown together ports and a few decent originals that can't yet take full advantage of the hardware.

PS4 and XBOX3 will probably get a lot of hate at launch but short of the Nintendo hatewank that's kind of inevitable around here.