Will Top Gear survive?

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
JoJo said:
Top Gear was around before Jeremy Clarkson, given the show's popularity I don't doubt the BBC would at-least try to keep it around even if all three current presenters left. Whether it would survive for much longer or quickly lose it's audience is anyone's guess, depends on who they would hire as a replacement really.
Top gear was barely around before Clarkson, he started working on the show in 1988, well before it was a popular show, and he has always been a host in the current top gear (considered a reboot starting in 2000).

If BBC do fire him, they will likely attempt to cast someone else, but I do see Richard and James both leaving along with Clarkson and it would take them all but 3 seconds to be receive hundreds of big money offers to do a top gear-like show.

Even if Top gear dies with Clarkson, there will no doubt be a Top gear 2.0 featuring Clarkson just around the corner.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Not to worry. If it's crashed, eco-feminist Top Gear [http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2015/mar/11/jeremy-clarkson-suspended-eco-feminist-top-gear] is ready to take the wheel.

But no, given the value of the series to the BBC [http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/16/bbc-top-gear-jeremy-clarkson-suspension], and that it would be required to compensate all the TV stations it's presumably already sold the remaining programs to, I'm guessing it'll survive more or less in its current form.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
inu-kun said:
Imperator_DK said:
Not to worry. If it's crashed, eco-feminist Top Gear [http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2015/mar/11/jeremy-clarkson-suspended-eco-feminist-top-gear] is ready to take the wheel.

But no, given the value of the series to the BBC [http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/16/bbc-top-gear-jeremy-clarkson-suspension], and that it would be required to compensate all the TV stations it's presumably already sold the remaining programs to, I'm guessing it'll survive more or less in its current form.
I really really hope the first one is a joke, otherwise I fear for the future of the human race with so much stupid crammed in one article.

I think that even if the show gets dropped now, there is some chance for it to get eventually, it's a massive franchise and after enough time the parties involved can reconcile.
She's messing about because from her past articles, she has that kind of tone when she writes.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
inu-kun said:
I really really hope the first one is a joke, otherwise I fear for the future of the human race with so much stupid crammed in one article.
I don't think so. She's doing reviews of eco-friendly cars, such as the Skoda Yeti [http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/feb/28/skoda-yeti-black-edition-car-review] or Renault All-New Twingo Dynamique [http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/feb/21/renault-all-new-twingo-dynamique-review].

And I mean, who wouldn't want to come home after a long day at work, turn on the TV, and watch those sexy beasts of tomorrow race against each other?! Over some light conversation on structural barriers to a better balance between work and family life?

And so, Stop Tear was born, and there was much rejoicing.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Jeremy Clarkson will likely have to deal with a hefty fine and maybe a pay reduction, but I expect Top Gear will continue.

Which is good because I for one love Top Gear and contrary to some people in this topic have greatly enjoyed the newer episodes as well. The cinematography is top notch as are the production qualities, their travel episodes are almost without fail amazing, and most important of all it's entertaining. If you want an in-depth serious car review there are hundreds of places to find them after all, whereas something quite like Top Gear is difficult to replicate... as the other American/Australian versions of Top Gear have proven.

It would be a real shame to see the show go away. I always figured it would end when one of the three hosts inevitably seriously injured or killed themselves during on of the shows insane stunts, not with a whimper like this.

Arshaq13

Jun 9, 2012
They cannot end the show until they put the McLaren P1, LaFerrari and the Porsche 918 in a race like they say they're trying to put.
It's the one thing I'm actually looking forward to.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
So Jeremy Clarkson has been fired, and it looks like James May and Richard Hammond will leave. I doubt Top Gear can survive without them.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
I highly doubt Top Gear can survive this.

The departure of May, Hammond and Clarkson is basically the death of the show.

It may "Return" however, the format would have to be significantly different, and I doubt people would actually want to watch it.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
I think the BBC could take a leaf out of Marvel's book and dress some woman up in a curly wig and whatever clothes Jeremy left in his dressing room, and announce they've got a new female Jeremy Clarkson to take over Top Gear.

Imagine the progressiveness of such a move!

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
As a wise man once said "Oh Cock!".

Welp, looks like I was wrong when I said earlier I didn't think Jeremy would face actually being fired. Looks like the rest of the cast wont be returning to Top Gear either without Jeremy so this is in all likelihood the end of Top Gear. Shame, I always pictured the show ending a bit more dramatically, but ah well. It was bound to be ended either by scandal or tragedy sooner or later I suppose.

Guess I'll just have to watch American Top Ge... hah, no, I couldn't finish writing that sentence even. The thought is laughable.

RIP Top Gear, ye shall be missed.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
TopazFusion said:
So they're all going to start their own show? With blackjack and hookers?

They could call it "High Gear" or something.
I hear netflix jangling its purse already. It worked for Trailer Park Boys.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
There are rumours flying around the British press that Chris Evans would be brought in to replace him, I think it could be okay with him. Hes crazy about cars (more so than Clarkson in some respects), a well accomplished presenter and is pretty funny in his own right and wouldn't try to "fill Clarksons shoes".

As for the BBS decision? I agree with it, when his attempts at humour go to far or don't stick that's one issue and I would defend him on that as he isn't the only that makes the show and its up to the producers and editors to reign it in or cut it. Fisting people in the face is another, just because he makes bucket loads of cash for the BBC doesn't mean they should allow him to assault other BBC staff.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
Well, Top Gear is dead.

However, whatever-replaces-it Gear shall be great! And I shall watch that.

I've also heard that both Sky, HBO and Netflix are all circling him and the others already.

And I've heard that Clarkson wants to do a show about a novice trying to run a farm, which I'm curious about.

Not worried.

natenate95

Invalid CD key
Nov 5, 2008
TBH, motortrend's youtube channel has been producing better content than anything shown on Top Gear for a while. Roadkill/Ignition shame anything car related currently.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
From a morale perspective it's the right decision. From a viewing and financial point of view it's pretty much suicide on the part of the BBC.

I doubt Clarkson, James and Hammond are overly worried about their futures. They've probably got companies lining up to sign them up and probably with a bigger budget too. If anything this whole incident has made Clarkson more popular. As they say, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
It may survive in the same way American Idol survived Simon leaving--it will stay for a good while and still get decent ratings, but the general opinion will be that the show went passed its prime when they left. Since it is their most profitable show, I wouldn't be surprised if at some point they buried the hatchet and brought him back, especially if ratings drop beyond an acceptable point.

As for Clarkson, I doubt he'll have trouble finding other work. I actually don't mind him too much, but I am genuinely surprised they went this far. I feel like this is more symbolic than anything else--they just wanted to demonstrate they won't be held hostage by anybody's popularity or value.

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
Top gear in its current form is done. Hamster and slow have stated numerous times that they wont do the show without him. Theyll still be on the BBC ofcourse but Top gear UK is done.