Witcher 2 Dev Defends Asking €1000 From Pirates

minus_273c

Knackered Old Shit
Nov 21, 2009
Crono1973 said:
They are squandering the good will they have gained for themselves.
Err, how does this make sense? They are not going to squandering the goodwill of those who bought it, and I suspect they really don't care if they squander the 'goodwill' of those who pirated it. And exactly what goodwill would those who pirated it have - "Oh, they're good guys, they made it easy for me to pirate"?

SmilingWorlock

Knowledge is power.
Oct 22, 2010
It does not matter if they had DRM or not. Pirating is illegal and that's it. How is this case any different from any other company going against pirates - except CD Projekt went exclusivly againt pirates and not paying customers by enforcing shitty DRM.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Baresark said:
I actually mess up the quoting on the message you quoted, how embarrassing. I look like I am having a fight with myself. I fixed it in both instances.

Your point 1 isn't in context of what is being said here. I figure you are making an argument for DRM, which is fine. I am more than happy to rebut things such as that. I had a room mate one time who hated gay people. He thought it was sick and disgusting and unnatural. I would point out that there are instances of it happening in the animal kingdom, outside Homo Sapien Sapiens (He sure did love science). To which he would respond, some animals eat their young, so should we do that as well? Of course we should not I would say, but that is a red herring and doesn't prove your one attempted factual statement, that it's unnatural.

Your point 2 is quite correct. But they cannot prove what they are saying is true, that these instances are definitively responsible for pirating their game. But, they would need to have a legal investigation started, seize the property of the guilty and prove they indeed had pirated copies of their software in their possession at some point.

The discussion was very much about money. They are charging a fee to these people for having pirated copies of the game, something they cannot prove at this point. You can't just declare a money reward you want to declare. If they can prove that they had pirated copies of the game, they are due the cost of the game and whatever legal consequences for this is outside the scope of what CDPR has anything to do with.

Addendum: I hate getting caught in this corner. I am not defending piracy but I even sound like I am to myself sometimes. I am always defending due process though, and the validity of charges and allegations. In America, we are supposed to be considered innocent until proven guilty (I know this isn't happening in America, but part of me thinks that is the best thing for any society). CDPR, who I fully support in the majority of things they do, are claiming to know to a 100% certain degree that these people are guilty of stealing from them. They cannot know, and if they did, they would have to show people how they know this, and not cite some secret agency.
My point was that the people who whine that fighting Piracy "is pointless because they'll just find a way round." are suddenly a lot more fond of said fights when it's one that effects them, a bit of hypocrisy you have just demonstrated quite nicely by going "oh but THEIR unwinnable fight against an ever-adapting foe is completely different (because I benefit from that one) honest."

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
I don't think anyone likes pirates except other pirates. Its not like they do anything good for the industry anyways. Good on CD Projekt though, since they are trying to be selfless.

Yellowbeard

Nov 2, 2010
Yellowbeard said:
shaboinkin said:
Here's my question:

If none of your pirated the game, why would you care?
Because sometimes people care about things that don't directly affect them.

I care.
It directly affects anyone who plays video games, because the net sum of information about DLC and piracy, is what businesses look at when they are deciding how to release new games.[/quote]

Compared to getting a letter in the mail demanding 1300 euros, that's actually pretty damn indirect.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Tubez said:
Yeah its very hard to prove that a company made a malware installed on a computer and suddenly they got shitload of cash from the owners computer.. Yeah there are no proof at all. And how do you suggest that Witcher 2 devs plant the malware on the computer?
Malware is very easy to get hold of and reverse engineer, planting it is very easy, you write it into a complete 'pre-gold' build which you leave sitting around for either hackers or a thief to steal, which they will, because every release of the last five years or so has been stolen and leaked before release. Planting it is a job for one person to do in an afternoon.

To get it onto the computers, millions will download and install it blithely ignoring whatever malware warnings come up, then they will act surprised when bad stuff happens.

As for legal repurcusions, either claim the stolen build was not for public consumption (which it wasn't) or that the thief who set it loose online created the malware, which would be impossible to disprove as the retail version won't have it.

Regarding the money, who says it has to go directly to CD projekt? The same way movie studios never seem to make a penny on anything, all the money needs to do is disappear to some previously unheard of holding company in Bolivia (or another small unregulated country of choice) that has no provable link to CD Projekt and isn't keen on international co-operation.

Works for plenty torrent creators now, don't see why it shouldn't be made to work in favour of the good guys for once.

Then leave it alone a few years, quietly siphon the money into whatever the next project is as funding from a private investor, give it out as a pay rise.

Fleischer

Jan 8, 2011
Monoochrom said:
Game developers should stop whinning and complaining until they let customers that legitmately are not happy with the product return it. Until then, all I have to say to them is ''Fuck you''. I didn't like Witcher 2 but I gave it a shot because of all the hub-bub about it at the time, after pulling this kind of shit, they have lost all hope for a second chance from me.
I disagree strongly. If you buy a DVD, bring it home and open it up, then most stores won't allow you to return it. In the same way, a computer game should not be returnable due to how easy it is to copy/pirate the media once you open the packaging.

My suggestion to you: read reviews, watch playthroughs/video demos and ask for feedback from people who play the game.

If you don't want to "waste money" by the risk of buying a game you might not like, then don't play computer games. There are plenty of other hobbies available.

Fleischer

Jan 8, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
Malware is very easy to get hold of and reverse engineer, planting it is very easy, you write it into a complete 'pre-gold' build which you leave sitting around for either hackers or a thief to steal, which they will, because every release of the last five years or so has been stolen and leaked before release. Planting it is a job for one person to do in an afternoon.

To get it onto the computers, millions will download and install it blithely ignoring whatever malware warnings come up, then they will act surprised when bad stuff happens.
Your scenario smells of entrapment.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Kwil said:
Crono1973 said:
Good will from who? The pirates? I'm sure they're all choked up about that.
Good will from pirates is exactly what game companies should be going for, actually. I've known more than a few pirates in my time, but every one of them also spent the vast majority of their spending money on video-games. I'm not making any argument regarding the morality of their piracy, but in my experience the vast majority of gamers are pirates, and yet they still buy tons of games.

I'm under the impression that "Gamers" (the paying kind) and "Pirates" are almost entirely the same demographic, so it would be in gaming companies' best interests to have good-will from them.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
LavaLampBamboo said:
then when they realised that they were losing literally MILLIONS of dollars,
Which they're not. I know, I know, the cool kids are all kicking logic to the curb, putting on their derp hats, and saying "but piracy is stealing!" and "1 pirated copy=1 lost sale," but if they jumped off a bridge, would you?

They may feel they would have got more money, but the likelihood is really low.

On the topic, it really looked like CD Projekt was going to take the high road. There goes that.

Also kind of tangential to the topic, I love how people keep running with the "Witcher 2 was pirated 4.5 million times" story without looking at how the estimate was arrived at, which is total nonsense.

I also love how Mike links to the Escpaist article that actually quotes Iwin saying this is not a "bad ratio," then proposes the question of "but what are you gonna do when over 80% of the people 'stole' your game?"

Ignore where the numbers came from , report number as fact, then ask what the alternative is. All the while, Iwin himself was saying it wasn't a bad ratio, but CD Projekt then starts in here. And that "not bad" ratio is used to justify it.

Seems pretty dishonest here.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Fleischer said:
Your scenario smells of entrapment.
Not really, entrapment requires some kind of encouragement to steal or provision of equipment, the theft is a statistical certainty already and the security would be identical to normal.
Except that the target's booby trapped of course.

Think of it as like banks putting paint bombs and tear gas in their security vans, if nobody commits a crime there will be no issue, but if someone does go to the effort of defeating your security the stolen items are detrimental to them regardless.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
The only good will they've squandered is that of the pirates. Which I don't think matters very much to them.

PH3NOmenon

Oct 23, 2009
I bought The Witcher 2 on a 66% off steam sale not too long ago. I ran into a snag and the developer customer service actually went through the trouble of checking my save files and getting me over the problem. As far as I care, CD projekt is good people.

There's no mention of what kind of proof they're bringing to the table. IP addresses may be dynamic and Wi-Fi may be stolen, but who knows if they caught some geniuses who actually posted "LOL I MAEDE A TORRENT OF WITCHER 2 ILLEGALLY LOL" on facebook, or something equally moronic.

If I have to chose between heavy handed and restrictive DRM, or heavy handed lawsuits aimed at suspected pirates, I'll choose the latter. Why? Because I don't pirate.

maxmanrules

Mar 30, 2011
LavaLampBamboo said:
It's a tricky one. On one hand, yes, DRM probably is bad and does often punish the honest buyers.

But when there's no DRM at all on your game, it's inevitably going to be pirated. The DLC and stuff is surely DRM-free as well, so that'll just be pirated in as well.

It seems to me that CD Projekt had this "no-DRM" idea, then when they realised that they were losing literally MILLIONS of dollars, suddenly they need to start threatening people. I'm not saying that DRM is good by any means, but I think this specific approach is a tad short sighted.

I say that immortal, pink machine-gun death-scorpions should be the de-facto copy protection.
But every game that comes with DRM is also broken. Always. The most severe anti-piracy was from Ubisoft I think, when they released a game that, in SINGLE-PLAYER, the levels were downloaded off a secure Ubisoft server on access. And it was broken.
CD Projekt has the right idea I think. Carrot and the hefty lawyers fees.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
LavaLampBamboo said:
then when they realised that they were losing literally MILLIONS of dollars,
Which they're not. I know, I know, the cool kids are all kicking logic to the curb, putting on their derp hats, and saying "but piracy is stealing!" and "1 pirated copy=1 lost sale," but if they jumped off a bridge, would you?

They may feel they would have got more money, but the likelihood is really low.

On the topic, it really looked like CD Projekt was going to take the high road. There goes that.

Also kind of tangential to the topic, I love how people keep running with the "Witcher 2 was pirated 4.5 million times" story without looking at how the estimate was arrived at, which is total nonsense.

I also love how Mike links to the Escpaist article that actually quotes Iwin saying this is not a "bad ratio," then proposes the question of "but what are you gonna do when over 80% of the people 'stole' your game?"

Ignore where the numbers came from , report number as fact, then ask what the alternative is. All the while, Iwin himself was saying it wasn't a bad ratio, but CD Projekt then starts in here. And that "not bad" ratio is used to justify it.

Seems pretty dishonest here.
Well you "can't prove" that the amount of pirated copies isn't 4.5 million (see we can draw the "You can't prove X therefor X is 100% true" card too!)

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
Crono1973 said:
What's the point of taking off the DRM if you are just going to turn around and ask for 20 times the price of the game from pirates?
The point of taking off the DRM wasn't to go easy on pirates, it was to avoid punishing the people who DON'T pirate with invasive software like SecuROM.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Crono1973 said:
Kwil said:
Crono1973 said:
Good will from who? The pirates? I'm sure they're all choked up about that.
The problem with fighting piracy is that you can't win and you will ultimately become like EA or Ubisoft. Ignore the pirates, that is the only way.

It sounds like a pathetic solution and it is but if you can't beat the pirates, why are you wasting money, time and the good will of honest customers? Honest customers look down on heavy handed tactics like this.

I don't know what else to say on this matter.
Honest customers shouldn't give a fuck about company's way of fighting pirates as long, as it doesn't hurt them (and in this case - it doesn't). Why? Because they're honest customers, so all those possible lawsuits/fines/whatever doesn't involve them in any way. They paid for the game, and CD Projekt doesn't interfere with it. Simple as that.

My opinion on this? I don't give a fuck. I payed for the game, it's awesome, no bullshit DRM. It's CD Projekt's potential lost money, and it's pirates who potentially stole the money from them. Therefore - it's their problem, not ours. End of story.

snfonseka

Oct 13, 2010
LavaLampBamboo said:
It's a tricky one. On one hand, yes, DRM probably is bad and does often punish the honest buyers.

But when there's no DRM at all on your game, it's inevitably going to be pirated. The DLC and stuff is surely DRM-free as well, so that'll just be pirated in as well.

It seems to me that CD Projekt had this "no-DRM" idea, then when they realised that they were losing literally MILLIONS of dollars, suddenly they need to start threatening people. I'm not saying that DRM is good by any means, but I think this specific approach is a tad short sighted.

I say that immortal, pink machine-gun death-scorpions should be the de-facto copy protection.
Even with a DRM the game will "inevitably" going to be pirated. DLC with DRM will also surely get pirated. Before the launch of Wither 2, they have mentioned they will use "other methods" to deal with piracy.

Even though it is funny and interesting idea, even "immortal, pink machine-gun death-scorpions" cannot last long if we talk about this realistically. But I really love that idea.