Women Troubles

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Well, its time for everyone's favorite topic again. I sure some of you are beside yourself with joy right now. However, this is something that has been bugging me for a while now, and I'm sure it it won't go away until I talk or post about it; since I probably won't get an answer from my cat, posting will have to do.

The problem I have is that I get this feeling that I'll never been able to actually acquire, maintain and develop a good, stable, personal and healthy relationship with a woman. As someone I knew once put it, the "40 Year Old Virgin" was actually just a future history version of my life, but they put in the happy ending because the original ending was too sad and depressing.

To start with, I never had an easy time with girls. In elementary/middle school I was the school punching bag, and was regularly teased and beat even by the girls. As a result of this and my living at the edge of the school district in an old farm zone, I spent the vast majority of my time alone. It was also when I learned to love video games and anime due to an accident one summer which broke my collar bone and made me unable to go to any kind of camps or summer activities for the entire season.

Then it got worse when I went to an all-boys private high-school where there simply were no girls around, and since I still lived so remotely I spent most of my time alone.

When I got to college, things didn't get much better. While there were women there obviously, there were very, very few of them - 7 men to every 1 woman was the conservative estimate the school put out. And as many of the men (and probably some of the women too) will tell you, they weren't very "high quality" - the saying around the school tended to go "A University 7 is a real-world 3". A lot of the women just had attitude problems too - a lot of them were just plain mean. Though its not like I didn't try outside of the college either - but none of those went very well either. I even tried dating sites and such.......but after two years not a single person has ever sent me a message or responded to me. Which is probably a bit more disheartening than anything else here when I think about it.

(To top it all off, my parents and family were never terribly good relationship examples either - though I suppose I learned what not to do...)

Personal issues cause problems too. Most people will tell you I'm quiet and reserved - I don't speak unless I feel its important, or its to question/investigate a topic at hand. My conversations with people whom I'm not on a name basis with tend to be punctuated with "Sir, Miss/Ma'am" or their title (Doctor, Professor, etc.). I don't ask and avoid talking to people about trivial things like music, sports and the like; and I avoid boring or making things awkward by talking about stuff I like or do. Nor am I a particularly attractive person - while I'm not ugly, I'm not going to be singled out for my looks either. I've never been a fan of crowded spaces, and I avoid making myself the center of any kind of attention unless I need to.

When I attempt to talk to women, my brain almost stops working. I have to fight for words, there are a lot of long, awkward pauses and me trying to end the conversation quickly because I'm obviously making them uncomfortable or I'm making a fool of myself. I guess that fortunately there isn't much for me to talk about usually.

Then there is the problem of the things I do like generally not being popular AT ALL with women; namely anime and video games. Video games are kind of a semi-problem I guess, since plenty of guys get along with women and play video games. The real sticking issue tends to be anime; because while I enjoy the normal assortment of perfectly explainable and anime that even women might/do like, such as say Ghost in the Shell, Witch Hunter Robin, Spice and Wolf etc., among my favorite anime are shows that are extremely difficult to explain to any potenial woman/girlfriend, and something that I've had more than a couple people tell me is the problem.

Because among my favorite anime are such things as:

Sekirei

Witchblade

and Cat Planet Cuties

and I like stuff like Manyuu Hikenchou too.

Those are kind of hard to explain away, no matter how you try to explain the story of Witchblade, or how funny CPC and Sekirei can be. And this is after you get over the whole "all anime is weird" issue that a lot of people to have.

But people have tried to tell me that other than this kind of stuff just being weird to most people, since I've been watching it for so long that its actually made me "desensitized" (their words, not mine) to real women, and that combined with my spending most of time alone both now and growing up has pretty much destroyed any chance of interacting or having any kind of personal relationship with women. A few have them have tried saying that I don't "act" right about women - that I don't get excited or even look interested in even attractive women, but I'll seem more interested in anime women and such. I never noticed this myself - I personally think they just might be misinterpreting me being polite or nervous around women as something else, but eh.

And in a way, its hard not agree. Where I live and the places I could live all are pretty bad in terms of population of females my age, the things I like and like to do aren't popular with women, and I'm not very good at social interactions with women. Nor am I swimming in money or have other things. Pretty much on the short end of the socially acceptable relationship scale - the only way I could probably go lower is if I was sick or a criminal.

So there, thats my rant/tirade. Congrats, you made it through.

Here, have this as a reward.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Well, I can't offer any kind of help or advice.

However, by way of comfort, consider this:

The fact that you are alive to type this means that every single one of your thousands upon thousands of ancestors managed to get lucky at least once. Now that's pedigree.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Zhukov said:
Well, I can't offer any kind of help or advice.

However, by way of comfort, consider this:

The fact that you are alive to type this means that every single one of your thousands upon thousands of ancestors managed to get lucky at least once. Now that's pedigree.
Actually, if science is any measure, most of the men in one person's line failed - only the women were successful.

xDarc

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Sometimes I wish I was still single. I'm 30 and I've got a 25 year old girlfriend. We've been together about a year and a half, of that she's worked maybe 5 months. Today I asked her when she planned on getting a job, she lives with me and I pay all of the bills, pay for cigarettes, gas, car insurance, give her spending money, etc. Her reponse? Why do you ask that? That's so random.

I wanted to say, ***** I need fucking help. I wanted to say here's 500 dollars, that ought get you back to the east coast so you can go live with your mother. I just said, do I need a reason? I would like you to get a job.

So she huffed and puffed and went into the office, and I could hear her ***** about me turning off her computer. I went in there and said I'm sorry did you say something? She just said to leave me alone. I said well when you pay the electric bill, you can leave everything on if you want.

My point is, do you really want to be in a relationship? You do everything for these women and then they don't appreciate shit. Aim low, set your sights on female company first. Let it evolve.

I rush into shit constantly because I'm watching all my friends get married, have children, etc. Fuck, I don't have any friends left. I have one guy that I meet up at Dennys sometimes. The rest are married and do not call anymore. If I tell my girlfriend to hit the road, I plan on being single for a looooong time. I just bought my first house this month. There are so many other enjoyable things I could be doing besides being in a strained realtionship. It's hard because I care for her, but she is constantly testing my patience.

I've dated a lot of women. A lot, dozens. I've never managed to be in a relationship longer than 2 years. I consider myself pretty reasonable; but every woman has been more trouble than she has been worth for me so far. I hope if you do find somoene, you find someone worth it.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
ProTip: Open Google. Type in your location, and then the words "anime convention". If your town is too small, pick the closest major city. You'll find people just like you, some of them even girls. If you don't go to SuperUltraGiganto-Con, most of them will probably be local.

I used to live in Florida. There was an anime con seemingly ever month. Every other week in the summer. Sure, there were huge cons like MegaCon, but a lot of them were tiny, and thus people didn't drive far for them. If you can find ones like that, go to them. Con people are usually very open. As long as you're not a total creep, you'll be able to slide right into conversations with people just standing in lines.

I'm awful at making friends. Absolutely awful at it. Talking to people I don't know is only moderately less terrifying then petting a spider the size of my face. But everyone at a convention is there because they're a fan of something. Something you're also a fan of. That's your foot in the door. Just go. Go in costume! People love to talk to cosplayers. Don't go looking to find a girlfriend, just go make friends, and see what develops from there.

theLadyBugg

May 24, 2010
First off, just getting this out there -- I think this post is probably better suited for the Advice forum. Other than that... I know this is a frustrating problem, and there's no easy fix.

But if the community in your area isn't yielding any results for you, maybe it's time to give the online thing another try? And as far as the online thing goes -- which dating sites were you on? How honest were you with your profile? How often did you actually reach out to women on the site? (Just things to be aware of.) There are some really specialized dating sites out there now, including (if I'm not mistaken) one specifically for geeks.

If your interests in gaming and anime are something you think is keeping you from getting along with women, then the likely problem is that you aren't interacting with the right women. I grew up loving Sailor Moon and Gundam Wing from the time I was in the fourth grade, and even as my interests expanded to other anime and manga over time, and I made friends who shared my interests, I never met a boy who liked any of it before my senior year of high school. There are lots, and I mean lots of girls out there who love anime. As well as gamer girls. Occasionally, you'll even find a lady who's into both.

I don't know anything about the specific shows that you're into, or how if at all they have affected your ability to respond to women in reality. But you might want to try seeking out other anime fans and just making friendships, because there's bound to be a woman in the bunch eventually. You can try to find the nearest local fanbase, and participate in or organize watch parties or skype discussions or ...something. None of this is going to land you a girlfriend immediately, but if your main concern is that your interests are driving women away, then dude, you need to find some women who share those interests.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
you know your almost giving Zelda2fanboy a run for his money

[small/](if you read that I don't mean to be mean...we all have to vent somtimes)[/small]

you really have to get over this "omg girls are different!!" mentality....and with that not put any woman who is nice to you on a pedastool

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
White Lightning said:
Why do you even want a Girlfriend? I mean, Girls are dumb and have cooties.
Oh you XD

On topic though stop seeing women as a "thing" that you must claim to be awesome, why do you want a girlfriend? they're basically your best friend with benefits, if you want a girlfriend just for the sake of having one I'm afraid you may be an asshole :L
Just look for a friend, if she likes you she'll give hints, maybe sitting a tad too close or hands brushing each other that kinda thing. Also being shy and reserved isn't the best way to get girls, get some confidence in you man!

But seriously stop scouting out girls just to be girlfriends.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Don't even get me started on this.
I have an ongoing series about mah troubles with the female gender. We're like at part 9 with last post.
It's a reacurring thing for me.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Women are just people.

The only person making you mess up when you talk to them is you. You need to chill the fuck out about it. Women are just PEOPLE. There's no reason to be worked up.
You're also a bit contradictory- you say you don't talk about trivial things, why the hell not? That's what small talk was invented for! You cant jump in at the deep end of a conversation straight away or that will be creepy.

And at the risk of getting my hand bitten off, if you suspect your choice of anime is making you look like a creeper... change it?
But Phasmal, cry the dudes, why should I change for a lady I don't even know?
Good bloody question, in theory you shouldn't have to change yourself, but if you're doing something that actively puts people off, maybe you should wonder how important it is to you.

Why do you even want a girlfriend?
You haven't written anything about that.

Oh and `I'm not drowning in money so` *smack*.
Don't be silly. Women are people. Some care about money, some don't. Don't pre-emptively judge people.

If you are seriously serious about getting a girlfriend, look at yourself, try and figure out where you go wrong and change it.

feeback06

Sep 14, 2010
Phasmal said:
Women are just people.
That right there is the best advice you can get. Try not to think about it too much when talking to them and just talk and treat them like you would any other person.

Mr. GameBrain

Aug 10, 2009
Phasmal said:
Women are just people.
Yup. Thats the truth. Right there.

Aaaand, my relationship problems (or lack of problems since I've never actually been in one! XD (despite being like 21 years old. (Most people don't believe it when I tell them that)), stem from that fact.

(I'm actually afraid of people. Can't even look most people in the eye. When I try I have to look away as if its burning/straining my vision)

But yeah. From my reading up on Cognitive behaviour therapy, one needs to slowly but surely expose themselves to their fears.

Just try to talk to people a little more, try going to a public place like a library or even as some suggested, a convention.

I'm trying to do that, and I've made a little progress. Normally once I get talking I don't shut up really, and I think people find me a bit interesting.
(Though most people literally do not understand me. I talk video games and they scratch their heads in complete confusion! XD)

I guess what I really crave is just companionship really.
Someone I can just go to and hang out with.
(I got my best friend, but he's busy with fulltime work. I love the fact he does spend his time off to hang out with me. Truly a great guy. Best friend anyone could ever have. :') )

At uni, the only person I felt relatively close to, was this fantastic Swedish girl, who was just great to talk to. Beautiful smile. She actually wanted to listen to me rant on about myself.
Shame she had to leave though. It was great working with her on the project, and it actually motivated me to actually work hard on uni work.
(Was pretty depressed when she left though. I just never could connect to anyone there... :( )

Sexy Devil

Jul 12, 2010
White Lightning said:
Why do you even want a Girlfriend? I mean, Girls are dumb and have cooties.
Yeah man, if there's anything 500 Days of Summer taught us it's that vaginas are black abysses of heartbreak and despair. Better off just going gay! I mean if Joseph Gordon-Levitt didn't get the girl then how can we?!

Being serious though, you know that little feeling in your head telling you that talking to randoms is a bad idea? Tell that feeling to go right to hell (not out loud or everyone will think you're crazy). Say the first things that come to mind (provided it's not overly stupid or offensive because most people don't like that) and you'll start clicking with people.

MasochisticAvenger

Nov 7, 2011
Alright, I want you to do something for me. Stand up, and smack yourself across the face. I'm not joking, do it right now.

You done? Good, now ask yourself honestly why you want a girlfriend. Don't just say the first thing that comes to your mind either. Really REALLY think about it. I was just like you were not that long ago. I kept bitching how I would never get a girlfriend until one day I just stopped and said "Wait... why do I want a girlfriend?" I honestly couldn't come up with a legitimate answer.

There is nothing wrong with not wanting a girlfriend. Those people who tell you otherwise just have different needs. Honestly, it sounds like you're far more comfortable in your own company. There is nothing special about a girlfriend; it doesn't magically just make your entire life better.

Also, are you actually trying to talk to girls? Because you can't really complain about not having a girlfriend if you're not trying to get one.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Stop thinking about it so intensely. If you're wanting to meet girls but the local bar scene isn't your thing then check out local events in your area, even perhaps get involved in charity work or events. Basically do things where "getting a girlfriend" isnt the focus, but its at least putting you in proximity with other girls while you strive to a common goal (be that at an anime convention, helping out at a convention, doing charity work, organising something, whatever).

Even if you aren't successful you'll have still done something worthwhile with your time beyond sitting in your room panicking about not meeting girls.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
First off, I saw those animes and thought "boobs, boobs, boobs, grossly oversized boobs". To be honest, the scene with the "small" boobed chick was far more "interesting" to me than the rest. Not to generalize anime, but would it kill them to make most girls with normal-sized knockers?

Second, I think you're trying too hard. If it's gonna happen, it'll happen. The more you worry about it, the less successful you'll be when the time comes. Not really useful, I know. In the meantime, I suggest "practicing" by talking with more women, and hanging out with them in a non-sexual manner. Then, if you feel up to it, attempt to casually pursue a few women, at bars/clubs/parties, whatever. Anywhere with liquid courage and horny women. Not for everyone, but the practice is invaluable, I find.

Captcha: "creative vision" Thanks captcha, I always thought of myself as a visionary...

tlgAlaska

Dec 6, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
What I don't get is why you care so much that you get a girlfriend. Is that SO important in your life? I can understand meeting someone and wanting to be in a relationship with them. What I don't get is such an urgent desire to have a girlfriend in and of itself. Some desire sure. But that people make it sound like it's ruining their lives that they don't? Seems very unreasonable.
It's social pressure. Look at almost anything in TV, movies, novels - everywhere you are shown, that being single is just this undesireable, temporary phase until the next wild romance. And if you are single, you better do something about it quick or you end as the pathetic loser.
Couple that with the social "stigma" you get for being a virgin after a certain age, especially man, and you see why so many are desperate for a girlfriend.