Wonder Woman and Justice League films are said to be disasters. Is this the end of the DCEU?

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Basement Cat said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Basement Cat said:
I think that people are so accustomed to condemning DC movies, even when they make profits
Well I guess Transfromers and Twilight are fucking Citizen Kane by that logic.

Just because a movie makes money doesn't mean it's good.
Obviously millions of others around the globe don't agree with you on that score.

Especially about the Twilight series. Hoo-boy that's one where countless girls definitely don't agree with you. Maybe it's a young girl thing. <_<
But look at critics and audience scores on pretty much every movie review website. Those movies and countless others that turned a profit are poorly reviewed by audiences and critics.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Kenbo Slice said:
But look at critics and audience scores on pretty much every movie review website. Those movies and countless others that turned a profit are poorly reviewed by audiences and critics.
I like plenty of movies that were savaged by critics and websites like Rotten Tomatoes. Do you only enjoy movies approved of by critics and Rotten Tomatoes? Of course not. Unless you do which--no offense--would be pretty weird.

It's a matter of personal preference.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Kyrian007 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
But what makes you think Zod won't want to conquer Earth after he Terraforms Mars?

I mean he still needs the Codex from Superman. And the thing is inside him so they have to lethally surgically remove it from Superman.
I don't think that way. The question is why WOULD he? Any rational attempt to maximize the chances of his species survival would involve avoiding conflict or war. And why not just ask Kal for the codex? Without holding anything hostage. How does Zod know that Clark won't hand it over or won't negotiate in good faith for it? Why is evil his first option when the obviously better and easier and less dangerous path is the less evil way? Even if you plan to conquer Earth eventually, why not secure the codex while pretending friendship and cooperation with earth. Even sneaky evil is a better bet than "YAAARRRRRR, Ima going a murderin" They made Zod out to be totally irrational, and why would any of the others follow an irrational leader?
Regardless the point I was trying to make about Movie Zod is that despite his flaws he's a much more better villain than Lex Luthor.

And why are you holding Zod to such a high standard anyway?

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Samtemdo8 said:
Kyrian007 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
But what makes you think Zod won't want to conquer Earth after he Terraforms Mars?

I mean he still needs the Codex from Superman. And the thing is inside him so they have to lethally surgically remove it from Superman.
I don't think that way. The question is why WOULD he? Any rational attempt to maximize the chances of his species survival would involve avoiding conflict or war. And why not just ask Kal for the codex? Without holding anything hostage. How does Zod know that Clark won't hand it over or won't negotiate in good faith for it? Why is evil his first option when the obviously better and easier and less dangerous path is the less evil way? Even if you plan to conquer Earth eventually, why not secure the codex while pretending friendship and cooperation with earth. Even sneaky evil is a better bet than "YAAARRRRRR, Ima going a murderin" They made Zod out to be totally irrational, and why would any of the others follow an irrational leader?
Regardless the point I was trying to make about Movie Zod is that despite his flaws he's a much more better villain than Lex Luthor.

And why are you holding Zod to such a high standard anyway?
Actually just in the most recent movies... well I didn't like either villain all that much story wise. But performance I think Michael Shannon did do a better job working with the material he was given. Looking at the characters across medium though I prefer Lex. Just the idea that a normal human with no superpowers is THE iconic Superman villain, that he could be enough of a legitimate threat that he is the arch-nemesis of Superman... that's way more impressive than just being born with the same superhero genetics.

And I don't consider basic logic and common sense reason a particularly high standard to hold a leader to. It does seem like recent events do suggest that's more than a lot of people expect.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
The entire DCEU has been a shitshow and it won't stop being a shitshow as long as people keep paying to watch these movies.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
DarthCoercis said:
Kenbo Slice said:
I for one would be down for a reboot of this whole DCEU and have them give Zack "the hack" Snyder and David S. Goyer the boot and bring in some competent people who respect these characters and source material.
`

I'd actually like to see Kevin Smith direct them. He's a big dc fanboy, has already done a lot of great movie directorial work, and his episodes of dc's tv shows were fantastic.
I'm with you, I say give guys like Kevin a shot. I've enjoyed following his Superhero fanboyism since I learned about his Fatman on Batman podcast, and if nothing else the guy is passionate about the source material. If WB would just be more hands-off and let people who are actually invested in and appreciate the characters maybe their movies would have some soul to them.

We'll see how this shakes out but I'll be pretty upset if WW is a flop. My girlfriend is really looking forward to it as she became of a fan of the character and even picked up the first couple trades of the New 52 reboot. The Justice League I already had doubts about anyway based on the trailer. Honestly I gave up most of my hope on the DCEU after BvS. No movie had ever made me feel the way that one did.

minkus_draconus

Sep 8, 2011
Man I hope it isn't so. My wife and I are fans of Wonder Woman. We grew up with the Linda Carter TV series and comic books.