World Health Organization Blames Games for Childhood Obesity

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
WHO doesnt have a leg to stand on...

The true cause of obesity is this rat race we live in, parents dont have time to educate/encourage/participate in thier childrens lives... too busy trying to keep up with the ever increasing costs of living, and ever decreasing value of thier salaries.

People dont have time to properly prepare meals, instant or delivered food is more prevalant and as parent dont have time to properly chaperone thier kids in these more dangerous times ( least in the UK, law is too soft on criminals and more concerned of the criminals rights than the victims trauma)... result is these kids are not encouraged to go out.

Kids as a norm prefer outdoors and running about, they have execess energy to burn but todays lifestyles discourage unchaperoned excursions outside, indeed parents often rely on games and TV to basically bribe thier kids to remain safe inside, where its easier to keep an eye on them.

Sort out the law, make it safe outside and provide nearby fields for sports and general running about and you will see less kids indoors.
Games are cool and all, but no normal kid cant sit still for very long...

I bet Macdonalds or KFC is paying bribes to try shift the blame off thier products :O

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Know what's to blame for anyone getting fat?

[HEADING=2]FOOD.[/HEADING]

Christ.

Crayzor

Aug 16, 2009
Yeah, it must be videogames. It couldn't possibly be the bombardment of adverts for fast food and sweets that children are submitted to. And it's definately not irresponsible parents letting their kids do whatever the hell they want. No no, as they say, it must be videogames.

/sarcasm

Normalgamer

Dec 21, 2009
oppp7 said:
I'd give my opinion, but I have a feeling I'd be flamed...
*Sigh* Here goes...
There are many reasons for obesity. Food is a big one. But sitting around for entertainment, such as TV and video games, is contributing to it. Luckily, the Wii and DDR are saving video games.
It's not the video games fault, I myself and many others such as my friends play video games and we are all healthy physically and Mentally. The real problem is the parents who don't limit what their children do and frankly probably shouldn't be parents in the first place.

Arawn.Chernobog

Nov 17, 2009
Yeah sure it's video games, not the fact that the soccer moms of the little fat bastards failed to realize their children kept going to a fast food joint over 4 times a week...

Stop trying to blame the media people, start blaming the incompetent parents.

clankwise

Sep 27, 2009
Theyve been doing these things for years. They've blamed McDonalds, Advertisement,arcades, T.V.,computers, parents, junk foods, and now they are blaming video games! Sure any of these things can make a child obese but not one of these things is the reason for child obesity.

baboon 101

Jun 11, 2009
Crayzor said:
Yeah, it must be videogames. It couldn't possibly be the bombardment of adverts for fast food and sweets that children are submitted to. And it's definately not irresponsible parents letting their kids do whatever the hell they want. No no, as they say, it must be videogames.

/sarcasm
But didn't you watch the commercials during the Olympics?!

All the athletes eat McDonald's, so that clearly has nothing to do with it.

Nibiru

Apr 5, 2010
Of course they are right! Just look at a Video Game Disc! Don't you feel getting fatter? (sarcasm)

I could seriously write a long paragraph about all the different things that Video Games supposedly cause, but simply put :"Not the games make you fatter, but your own behavior of sitting 20 hours in front of the TV while only eating chips". Same thing goes with MC Donalds in my opinion. The food there is not in any way special, but if you eat too much of it, of course you'll get fat. You can get fat eating bananas (easily)

Just leave video games and fast food alone and try teaching people not to eat more then they should instead. =(

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Obviously it is the fault of games and not shitty parenting, over eating and a lack of exercise. I am officially opposed to the WHO after they didn't reply to my email about fire exit signs being dangerous. Arses.

I imagine that one day, after video games get banned due to their obvious health risks, all the fat little kiddies will suddenly become the pinnacle of physical fitness, malaria will be cured, cancer will taste twice as good and HIV will vanish from the face of the Earth.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Didn't a different organization say that it wasn't that bad because you can't eat while doing it? Make up your minds people!

Lunther

Aug 2, 2008
Here's a study for the WHO. Poor Parenting and a society afraid of letting kids run around the block with pop guns contributes to obesity. Seriously, you give a kid a popcap gun these days and you'll have the neighbors screaming and calling the cops.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
The conclusion here is false...it is a factor in the overall situation not the actual problem the real problem is parents who don't be a parents. This argument is just as stupid as this one group trying to get Ronald McDonald dropped as the spokesperson for McDonalds because of the same reasons.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I am surprised it has taken em this long to come on and start targetting games...I mean been around for a fair while now and someone just flipped the light on?

Typical, self-selection here...although I cant deny it is "part" of it...but not all of it

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
We have it pretty good right now. We don't have to run to find a mate, run to avoid predators, or run to catch food.

Video games? Just something for kids to do while they DON'T have to run.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
The problem is too much food. Elect me as global dictator and everyone will be living on a starvation diet in no time at all. Right after I destroy these meddling institutions like the United Nations.

OmegaXIII

Jun 26, 2009
Well they should make real-life more interesting then. Life could do with being a tad more epic.

In all seriousness though i can kind of see their point, gaming is a hobby, something that should be used to kill a few hours and blow off steam. I have quite a lot to say against power-gaming or marathon WOW sessions or the like and the almost inevitable health detriments that come with them. I game, i love gaming and it's escapism, but i don't let it control my life - i still study hard and go to the gym regularly because i'd hate to end up a hopeless slob with nothing else to do than electronic entrtainment.

Moviebob says this better anyway

http://screwattack.com/videos/TGO-Episode-33-Building-A-Better-Gamer