World Health Organization Blames Games for Childhood Obesity

Jibblejab

Apr 14, 2009
Was this just a study of America?

No I kid the states, but seriously. Well if every child read a book for the same time instead of gaming then would we be saying reading is the issue? Its not what kids do which is causing obesity, its what they arent doing

And correct me if im wrong but isn't food the primary cause of obesity?

Goldeneye1989

Deathwalker
Mar 9, 2009
asinann said:
Goldeneye1989 said:
Problem with that overweight is selected by the BMI a terribad way and not accurate.
According to their BMI's nearly every NFL player, MMA fighter, professional "wrestler," body builder, and construction worker are morbidly obese. Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime was morbidly obese according to the BMI scale. The BMI scale doesn't take anything into accound other than height and weight, and that's why reputable doctors only use it in conjunction with other tests to measure obesity.
Stolen from wiki
It was invented between 1830 and 1850 by the Belgian polymath Adolphe Quetelet during the course of developing "social physics".

The medical establishment has generally acknowledged some shortcomings of BMI.[19] Because the BMI is dependent only upon weight and height, it makes simplistic assumptions about distribution of muscle and bone mass, and thus may overestimate adiposity on those with more lean body mass (e.g. athletes) while underestimating adiposity on those with less lean body mass (e.g. the elderly).

A 2005 study in America showed that overweight people had a similar relative risk of mortality to normal weight people as defined by BMI.

So it was developed by a 19th C, and was never intended to measure health...... yeah nice going WHO

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
I blame humanity's presense on earth as a major cause of all of our problems. Now where's my grant money?!?

ottenni

Aug 13, 2009
I would have thought food and a lack of exercise would cause obesity, but what the hell would i know.

And heres a funny fact, the healthiest people i know are those that where allowed to do almost whatever they wanted as a child. They just went outside and did stuff, theres a funny fact. Let kids be kids.

Grounogeos

Mar 20, 2009
Foggy_Fishburne said:
I'm not saying that parents are the only factor here, I'm saying a big one.
Actually, if you really think about it, parents ARE the only factor.

For obesity, who buys the foods (or gives the kid money to buy them) and lets the kids sit around doing nothing all day? The parents.

For violent behavior, who doesn't teach the kid not to act that way? The parents.

For everything else, who doesn't do the f***ing obvious things that would prevent the f***ing problem in the first place? The parents.

And if you're a parent and you're not trying to keep your kids safe and under control, you have nobody to blame but yourself.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
...and now, from the same people who brought to you "If you have underage sex, you will get pregnant, and you will die!!", now introducing "If you buy play videogames, you will get fat, and you will die!!"

[small]Disclaimer: We base our helpful lifestyle advice on the most reputable of scientific research sources, and totally not uninformed frauds expressing their own unfounded opinions.[/small]

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
I don't think videgames should get all the blame, I mean if you sit anywhere for to long for any reason then your not getting exercise.

I think its down to Parents being to scared to let their kids out to play like I did as a kid and that its just easier to let the TV/game babysit them.

The fact is that child abductions have not increased at all, in fact your just as safe as you were in the 70's if not safer. The media likes to create moral panics because it sells papers, If you believed the media you would be convinced a Peadophile lurks around every corner, the fact is your child is propbably most at threat from a Peadophile that is a family friend or relative not some stranger on the street.

So kids should be allowed to go out and play and get some decent exercise.

dusk storm momma

Apr 3, 2010
Hmmm, have to disagree with WHO on this one. For one slight reason. Only 25% boy and 15% girls get enough exercise? Yet gender ratios in gaming are 60:40, so shouldn't it be a lower level for boys than girls. Just a thought. I totally agree that whether a child is obess or not falls to the parents. I am not a total dictator to my girls, but I make sure that they eat right, play outside, get homework done, then they can watch tv, get on the computer, or turn games on. Its all this easitiest way, fastest way of thinking that leads to childhood obessity. Like it is easier and faster to pick up fast food than cook you family a meal. It is easier and faster to let them sit in front to the tv or computer then take the time to keep an eye out for them outside, get to know their friends, or check their homework.

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
If growing up in a poor country doesn't mean kids get any less exercise than if they were in an affluent country, then they're obviously just spending this "lazy-time" doing different things. Therefore gaming is filling the lazy time. Maybe they should look into what causes this instead.