World of Warcraft Loses 1.3 Million Subscribers in 3 Months

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
VoidWanderer said:
MetalMagpie said:
VoidWanderer said:
I wonder how many of those subscribers are actually active? I for one know that I haven't touched the game since

*Looks at calendar*

January / February this year...
Are you still paying the subscription? Because it sounds like you're not getting your money's worth!
I wasn't getting my money's worth when I was playing the game.
Defect to Guild Wars 2! No subscription fee! Fun gameplay! Cat people!

(Disclaimer: MetalMagpie has recently started playing Guild Wars 2 and may be very slightly smitten. Do not trust the above to be a balanced review.)

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
KeyMaster45 said:
Decline isn't really unexpected. It's still a good, solid game but it's getting old and people are just getting burnt out on it. In my personal opinion I would put Wrath of the Lich King as WoW's peak; everything after has just felt "meh".
There's actually a reason for that. Simply put: Cataclysm and MoP were "keep this baby alive!" stretches...at least as far as the story is concerned. Once Arthas has been killed off, that's the last of the easily recognizeable main baddies in the WC universe. Who came up next? Deathwing? Didn't he die back in Beyond the Dark Portal? Plus I heard his final boss fight was an absolute joke (since I stopped playing after Burning Crusade I wouldn't know from first-hand experience). And what came after Cataclysm? They turned what was once an April Fools joke into the basis of their next expansion. If that doesn't show at least some hints of desperation and stretching then I don't know what would.

OT: I'm honestly very surprised that WoW has lasted as long as it did. I knew it had a VERY robust fan-base from it's RTS games to get a fantastic start, and I was with it from the beginning until the end of Burning Crusade. At that point I graduated from college and got a job in the real world and no longer had the time necessary to play the game as a functional member of a guild. That and it was becoming harder and harder to justify paying a monthly subscription fee to play fantasy dress-up.

What struck me was the notion that I'm paying a subscription so that each month I can go on 8 to 12 raids. On those raids, there was a slim chance that an item I would need would drop. Should the item I need drop, there was only a chance that I'd get it as I'd be competing with the rest of my class for it. Didn't get anything this time? Well better luck next-week. This caused me to get VERY disillusioned with the game and, having defeated Kil'Jaeden, I thought it was about time to bring a close to my years-long adventure in Azeroth. I've got good memories and had a lot of fun with that game, but ultimately I felt it was time to move on.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
piinyouri said:
Seeing Bobby Kotick speak for Blizzard reminds of just where this company is now.

Made me feel a touch ill in my stomach honestly.
Seriously. It's like it's there for the people who still had hope that Blizzard were NOT corporate sell-outs.

VoidWanderer said:
I wasn't getting my money's worth when I was playing the game.
OH BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRN

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Meh.

I've gone though the treadmill too many times to pick up WoW again. I remember playing in Burning Crusade, grinding rep, gearing up, leveling my crafting- then Wrath comes along and basically hits the reset button. Then Cataclysm does it again. Now it's kind of hard to see why I should bother spending hundreds of hours grinding on a toon when there's another reset inc next year.

Leveling through the old expansions also kind of sucks now. They were all designed as near-endgame content, all focused around stuff the player was building himself up to do after hitting level cap. Now they're just pass-through areas, and they're pretty weak for it. I remember playing a new character in Cataclysm, and having a ton of fun with the redesigned 1-60, only to hit outlands and see the game become kind of a slog. Cataclysm's leveling content wasn't any better, weirdly, despite being as new as the 1-60. I think the past-60 leveling areas just feel too disconnected from the Azeroth I was playing in, and most of the plots are too far gone down the "EPIC FANTASY STUFF THAT WE KIND OF EXPLAIN, BUT ALSO IT HELPS IF YOU READ THE BOOKS" route to seriously care about.

MetalMonkey74

Jul 24, 2009
Other pay monthly MMOs dont even have 1.5 million subscribers, so its not such a big deal for Blizzard.

The game IS nearly 10 years old now!

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
It's a cool game. I started playing in the Beta before the launch of the original game and played until I reached the top levels and then got tired of it. I'd rejoin with new expansions but then would quickly get to the top and have nothing more to do on a daily basis than grind daily quests for no good reason for a game I was paying $15/month for in addition to the original expansion price. So we're talking about three/four months of gaming and then being completely done. I imagine a significant number of other players also get bored around the top and give it a rest once they're there and this is about the right time for them to start dropping off after Mists of Pandaria, I guess.

Wow is a good game, you get the money's worth. But it isn't worth spending a year of gaming on just one expansion.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
viranimus said:
It is just a part of the normal MMO end cycle.

As new expansions are released you see people return to burn through the new content in 1-6 months. Then once up to date again grow bored and head back out to greener pastures.
Basically what this man said. People came back to play the xpac, burned through it as people tend to do with WoW content, and then left again. This is the kind of drop I'd expect a few months after an expansion's release.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I haven't played since vanilla WoW. I was thinking of going back to it, then realized that with every expansion the game would cost $100. Maybe it's time for an updated Battle Chest, Blizzard?

rednose1

Oct 11, 2009
I wont be too sad to see it go, the things that held me steadily dwindled to the point all I enjoy is PvP, and with the upcoming change, that'll be gone too. As that goes, so do I

Zac Jovanovic

Jan 5, 2012
They are still running on the good faith Blizzard has accumulated over the years.
When I tell someone playing WoW Activision's running things now they are usually like "Holy crap, that explains everything!"

Props to them for not placing the Activision logo on anything WoW related, that was very well played.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
My experience with WOW is very short (I was playing it on my ex's comp about 4-5 years ago), but I remembered it being pretty good, so I sincerely doubt WOW will be going away anytime soon if it's gone strong for this long. I do, however, see a new game coming in and taking their MMO crown. It's bound to happen at some point.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Eh...
When you take into account that MoP brought back another million, the net loss of three hundred thousand is on par with what, the last six or so quarters of losses?
Still making obscene amounts of millions.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
MMOs that achieve critical mass never die:

(1997) Ultima Online - http://www.uo.com/
(1999) Everquest - https://www.everquest.com/
(2001) Dark Age Of Camelot - http://www.darkageofcamelot.com/
(2001) Anarchy Online - http://www.anarchy-online.com/

All more than 10 years old, all still playable.

The MUD that I played on in college in 1994 (dark castle - http://www.dcastle.org/ ) is still running, more than 20 years after it started.

Barring something like an asteroid strike wiping out civilization I expect WoW to by playable 20 years from now.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Of course it's an expected decline, it's easy to see that the decline is inevitable.

But come on people, the game is almost 10 years old. I know some people on the internet have made hating WoW into a sport (just look at this thread), and the headline should cater to these people, but the headline really should read "WoW is still the market leader and has more than 8 million subscribers", this is the really impressive part.

I stopped playing years ago, I have absolutely no will to come back, but that's because I played it a lot before and had lots of fun going to raids with friends. I still think it's a fine game and that it manages to keep as big an audience as this is amazing.

HellbirdIV

May 21, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
Incoming doomsayers who think WoW is dying.
WoW has been dying a slow death ever since Wrath of the Lich King, because of an increasingly botched creative direction.

That said, I agree with ActiBlizzard's assesment: There's enough mileage to be had in the property to remain profitable for a while yet - that's the benefit of a game that dies slowly.