World's First Cyborg Speaks Out

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
romanator0 said:
I want to know why this guy needs special rights. It's not like he's being discriminated against because of what he has attached to his head is he? He's just a regular guy with some computer parts attached to him.
He said in the video he's not allowed into cinemas and he gets kicked out of some shops. It's sort of understandable, what with that thing of his beeping away, but still.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Smilomaniac said:
Doom972 said:
She seems more like a cyborg than that guy, since her arm actually interfaces with her brain in both directions, while the Eyeborg seems to only be sending information to the guy's brain and not the other way around. I don't exactly get why he's the first to get recognized as a cyborg and what that recognition means.
I know, right?

It seems like they're branding themselves and making a fuss about it, unlike the team that was on TED, which is actually working to better human lives and not focusing on PR as much.
I understand his point about cyborg rights. While the woman with the cyborg arm is seen by others as just having an advanced prosthetic arm, people confuse that guy's device with a camera, which is harming his daily life. While not many people with this problem exist, which makes it a relatively minor problem now, it'll likely become a problem in the future.

Black_Reaper

Feb 11, 2013
Cyrromatic said:
He did not ask for this.
That, is gold! Hahahaha

Anywho, I'm just wondering what rights he advocating for ? Who is keeping the cyborgs down, better question who knows that their are cyborgs around. I don't see the point organization, but he is super damn cool. I want bionic body parts toooooo !

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Awesome. I want some more senses. Magnetoception could mean I'd never get lost again. Seeing in thermal would be kinda boss, if I could turn it off. Hmm... what else?

jamesbrown

Apr 18, 2011
amiran123 said:
Using technology to make up for handicaps? Sure!

Using technology to replace working bodyparts? Not so much...
"lets become robots" "that sounds like a good idea"

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
That is amazing.

Just trying to imagine how that guy sees the world around him. Soon we are stepping into a world were technology won't just make up for what is missing, but improve what we already have.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
This guy is just a self publicist. There are about 250000 people world wide that have cochlear implants. Cochlear implants are electronic devices that convert sound into electrical impulses which in turn used to stimulate the nerves in the cochlear. This allows deaf people to hear. It is also a direct connection between an electronic device an the nervous system, you can't get much more Cyborg than that.

roman gnome

Feb 1, 2009
This guy isn't a cyborg at all, and I'm pretty sure he knows that. He's just using that term because "fighting for cyborg rights" sounds better than "trying to convince people I should be allowed to wear my computerized camera-headphone gadget anywhere I want including places that expressly prohibit cameras because I can't see colors without it... or with it, but at least it makes beeping sounds to tell me what colors I'm not seeing."

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
roman gnome said:
This guy isn't a cyborg at all, and I'm pretty sure he knows that. He's just using that term because "fighting for cyborg rights" sounds better than "trying to convince people I should be allowed to wear my computerized camera-headphone gadget anywhere I want including places that expressly prohibit cameras because I can't see colors without it... or with it, but at least it makes beeping sounds to tell me what colors I'm not seeing."
This ^

He isn't any more than a cyborg than a caveman who wears deer-skins to keep warm or me whenever i wear glasses so i can see like a normal person.

Humans have been "augmenting" themselves since we learnt to make fire, it's hardly a new thing. All that's happened is he's wearing an unusual, unrecognised piece of technology which has given him problems in cinemas and supermarkets, so he's come up with this "cyborg discrimination" idea as a means of responding to this discrimination he faces.

Gerwich

Nov 18, 2009
Because pacemakers and cochlear implants totally don't make you a cyborg, but wearing a headset does. [/sarcasm]

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
I for one am less concerned about cyborg rights, and more concerned that the theoretically first cyborg has a bowl cut.

EtherealBeaver

Apr 26, 2011
I have a disorder which makes me have no depth perception at all and I can really connect with him having to memorize stuff which seems so obvious to others. If they make something wich makes me able to detect distances, I would 100% be up for becoming a cyborg. It would be so amazing to be able to play tennis or football just once.