Worst Cartoon Currently on Air

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
-Drifter- said:
It's all there in the title. What do you think is the worst cartoon currently airing on television?

Max and Ruby AKA the show that prompted this thread.

My dad's girlfriend has a three year old son who likes to watch it when he's over here. It may seem like cheating to pick a toddler's cartoon, but believe me when I say that Max and Ruby is inane, cheaply animated and badly acted even by those low, low standards. The only explanation I can think of for why a show this terrible exists is that the creator wants to punish any parents being forced to watch this crap with their kids.

[sub]PS: Before anyone says My Little Pony This Title Should Really Have a Colon, please save it for another thread. I'd rather this one not devolve into yet another pointless internet slap-fight.[/sub]

[sub]PPS: There seems to be a misunderstanding with a few people. I'm asking you not to say MLP, not as a fan of the show (although I am,) but as someone who would rather avoid the inevitable shit-storm that it always kicks-up. If I didn't think it'd result flame-war, I'd have no issue with people saying MLP. Hard as it may be to believe, I myself can in fact cope with the knowledge that not everyone likes what I like.[/sub]

[sub]PPPS: Just to be clear, it doesn't have to be a kid's show.[/sub]
Might I suggest another question to add here?

Why is their no new GOOD animated Batman series out?!

We have the great movies with one last one on the way, an awesome game series started with another one on the way, and Batman has always been awesome!

Why no cartoon like we use to have?!

Caboose671

Dec 27, 2008
The worst cartoons on air in my opinion right now would be,

Sidekicks- It's padding. If they where really trying on this show they would have given it a better spot then 4:00 PM. I could see something in this If they tried a little harder and stop recycling plots from old cartoons.

Almost Naked Animals- One, why. The writing is bland and the jokes are horrible. It feels like a clone of Ed, Edd, n Eddy with all the memorable and good parts taken out mixed with Chowder and every thing that is bland. It recycled and doesn't try.

Problem Solvers - OK, I could see what Cartoon Network was trying to go for, the Retro 32 bit look, but It doesn't work. The writing is bland, and so the hummer. The older crowd is out because of that, and the younger kid wouldn't get the Retro video game look. It's just bad.

Fan boy and Chum Chum- Look I have had a lot of respect for Frederator Studios, they putout mostly good cartoons, but this has to their worst. I tried to sit though one of the episodes, but I couldn't do it. The two main characters make you want to punch them in the face so much.

I think a show is good when I can sit down and watch it now and still laugh my ass off like if I was younger again or it would make me think. Ed Edd n Eddy still can make me do that. Shows are good when a teen, a dad, and a kid can sit down and all of them could enjoy themselves.

Let's make a thread for the best shows so we could cool off and not be in a mood to punch everything in the face.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
I don't often post but this one was hard to resist. First off, those of you who keep saying 1990s, 1980s, and early 2000s cartoons are better. Remember that nostalgia is like having a mouth full of cocaine coated marbles; it makes you feel good, and say stupid things. I had a lot of nostalgia for Dragon Ball Z but watching it now it's just stupid, drawn out, and boring. I think too many people are letting nostalgia poison them. Seriously go back and watch some of them. I have in the past. I loved Rocco's Modern Life, Invader Zim and Angry Beavers to name a couple. Now seem like crap to me now. Although some, like Rugrats(the original only), Transformers G1/G2, and Doug are timeless to me. Yes it's subjective, but you can't say everything new sucks because your nostalgia gets in the way. Seems like a lot of people watch 5 minutes of a new show, and then deem it crap, because they remember their childhood shows as better then they actually were.

Second, I don't understand the Ben 10/Alien Force/Ultimate Alien hate. ButI can identify with Ben, having had permissive parents,(Though mine never insisted I use their first names. Being transgendered(though not to the point of wanting a sex change), the freedom they gave meant a lot.) and a doting grandfather. Sure he comes off as a bit of a over confident jerk. Then again who wouldn't? Being a normal, if slightly nerdy kid/teen. Then boom getting super powers. That would make anyone into a bit of a jerk. That's like saying SpiderMan sucks because he's a mopey nerdy dork, who sometimes gets overconfident, and is sometimes a jerk. Heck that's what made him identifiable with his target audience. Both characters use their flaws to grow, and the whole complaint smacks of someone who watched a few episodes of something that's better as a series. Which in my opinion invalidates the Ben 10 vs later series(Alien Force and Ultimate Alien) complaint, because you have to see all of each previous series for the next one to make sense. I will say the tie in movies, and the live action alternate time line movie were pure crap imho.

On topic: Pretty much most of the current generation of cartoons are passable, and they'll be the nostalgia fodder for the next up coming generation. I have to say most of the newer toddler/preschool shows are mindless dribble, especially Dora. But they always are, Dora gets my goat for forcing political correctness on children too young to understand it.

My personal shit list of adult and teen-adult cartoons: Problem Solverz, Gumball, Johnny Test, Fan Boy and Chum Chum, Sidekicks, Ugly Americans(objectively not too bad but I personally hate it), Planet Sheen, Family Guy, The Cleveland Show, American Dad, Drawn Together, Squidbillies, Bakugan, Beyblade(those two are 22 minute long commercials, worse then Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! ever were), Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Aqua Unit Patrol Squad 1, The Loony Toons Show and Spongebob Squarepants(I like the older stuff, but now it's mostly crap, but sometimes has a good episode.)

I excluded the few I can't remember the name of.

My list ones I like and watch: Ben 10/Alien Force/Ultimate Alien, Adventure Time(disturbing but fun), MPL: FiM(not a bronie! it appeals to my girly side, being MtF TG), King of The Hill, Bleach, Phineas and Ferb(always the same, with different Mcguffins, but still fun), South Park(say what you will, but it makes any stereotype look ridiculous, and that's why it's funny), Fairly Odd Parents, Danny Phantom(haven't seen it recently though), T.U.F.F. Puppy, Classic Loony Toons(airs at 6am and Noon on CN), Tom and Jerry(airs after Classic Loony Toons), Symbiotic Titan(did this get canceled?), Young Justice, Clone Wars(though I consider it non-canon, I still like it), and the new Thundercats.

I couldn't list Regular Show or Generator Rex, since I neither hate or like them. It's entertaining if absolutely nothing else is on, but usually I can jump to the History Channel, Discovery, Animal Planet, TCM, or AMC in that case and find something better to watch.

Edit: Didn't mean to offend anyone who has a lot of nostalgia or just genuinely likes old cartoons. Just saying don't count out the new if/because you remember older cartoons as better then they might be. Also just stating my opinion, don't want a flame war my self.

Edit two: Whoops misstated the last edit.

LuckyClover95

Jun 7, 2010
How about those whiny emo anime cartoons
Not saying all anime is whiny emo, but a lot of it is and it's reeeeaaal annoying.

Sean Renaud

Apr 12, 2011
No, that's just you being crazy. The simple fact that they haven't let Snarf talk yet makes the remake 150% better than the original. Us 90's kids have got to get rid of these nostalgia glasses. Either that or go back and watch pretty much any 90's cartoon that wasn't a. Batman the Animated series (and I'll still if only for lack of episodes in Btas call you one Batman the Brave and the Bold for similar quality and WAY more quantity) and b) you don't get to summon the Steven Speilberg toons. Other than that while yes you can find some gems I'll argue that kids today don't know how damn good they have it.

Tommeh Brownleh

May 26, 2011
King of the Hill, mostly for the whole cast being stereotypical southerners. WE'RE NOT ALL LIKE THAT.

Any reboot of a ten year old show that was crap even back then. Eg: Voltron Force, Thundercats.

SPONGEBOB. Nuff said

Misadventures of Flapjack. Just... just NO

Adventure Time. It's practically advertising crack.

Any Disney cartoon series. The live action ones can die in a hole as well.

I know its been said, but my little pony FIM. I've listed all of my reasons in different threads, hunt it down if you must.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Tommeh Brownleh said:
King of the Hill, mostly for the whole cast being stereotypical southerners. WE'RE NOT ALL LIKE THAT.
Texans count as southerners!? ...Because according to any Texan I know they don't.

Tommeh Brownleh said:
Any reboot of a ten year old show that was crap even back then. Eg: Voltron Force, Thundercats.
That's a bit harsh IMO. Sweeping generalization and all. I know it's your own opinion, but the new Thundercats seems pretty good. Have you given it a chance?

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Ziadaine said:
So. Many. Shows.

Kid's shows were alot better back in the early 90's, grew up on DBZ, BeyBlades, Digimon, Thomas The Tank Engine, Sam and Max. (I did anyway.)

Now its all this educational crap like Dora The Explorer and shit.
Can't say I enjoyed Beyblade. It was just a bit too stupid for me. Underground dreidel competitions with monsters?

But the rest of those, definitely. I loved the Sam and Max cartoon. And Thomas was great. Oh how I hate what it has become though. Remember how Thomas used to be extensive model trains that looked really impressive? This is what modern thomas looks like.

It is truly horrific.
It does kind of rip the heart out of the show, but I bet it tens more cheaper to make and animate then the old school way.

I will say it is annoying seeing their faces animate most of all.

hotsauceman

Jun 23, 2011
The new star wars cartoon. What they did to the battle droids is just horrible. And giving personlities to the clones? They are supposed to be faceless souless soldiers. Thats the whole point of a "Clone army"

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Not "exactly" a cartoon but Rasta Mouse is a personal hate. My youngest sings the theme tune and it makes my ears bleed.

Judge for yourselves people.

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
EClaris said:
max and ruby is for super young kids. So your criticisms are based on he fact you're way too old to be watching.
To be fair, that's not entirely true. I've never seen Max and Ruby so I wouldn't know, but it is completely possible to think a cartoon for super young kids would be awesome so it stands to reason one could also suck.
For instance, 'Peep and the Big Wide World' is awesome!
http://www.nhptv.org/rtl/images/peep.jpg

snowfi6916

Nov 22, 2010
Jack the Potato said:
By the way, I can name several excellent cartoons that are airing right now or will be soon, and as I've said, I don't watch many cartoons.

Symbionic Titan
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Young Justice
The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra
Batman: Brave and the Bold
Generator Rex (I honestly thought it would be terrible when I first saw it, but it's really not)
The New Thundercats show looks pretty good.
Ben 10 (I friggin' hate it, but I recognize that it isn't that bad of a show)
The latest Scooby-doo show is apparently pretty good, though I have yet to watch it because I hate Scooby-doo.

Cartoon Network is apparently doing a whole series of shows based on DC heroes for it's new "DC Nation" block, starting with Green Lantern and produced by Bruce Timm. I don't really know much else about it, but it sounds pretty freaking cool.

So if you ask me there's plenty of good shows on right now (at least on Cartoon Network) and a few great looking ones coming out soon. And this is from a guy who rarely watches cartoons anymore. And I didn't even touch Adult cartoons either.
Wait...they are making a new avatar series? This is news to me.

FuzzyRaccoon

Sep 4, 2010
neonsword13-ops said:
Rin Little said:
This is a hard question just because there are so many that are so damn bad >.> Fanboy and Chum Chum is probably the stupidest one I've seen >.< I could swear I've lost brain cells just from hearing the intro.
Isn't the show MEANT to make you stupid? If so, I should be mentally handicapped.

My money is on squidbillies. TEheheERRIBLE SHOW. I know it's meant to look poor quality but I don't think that's an excuse for over-used character animations. The jokes are pretty half-assed too.
UGH, SQUIDBILLIES. I actually don't like half the stuff on adult swim. It's just weird, and annoying. Nothing about it is interesting! Though I will say I like Superjail (ocassionally) and Venture Brothers.

Ahhh...What else? I don't like Fanboy and Chumchum either. That show is so STUPID.

There are a lot of live action shows I hate too, especially on the disney channel, some on cartoon network. But those don't count for this discussion. Hng.

FuzzyRaccoon

Sep 4, 2010
Jack the Potato said:
By the way, I can name several excellent cartoons that are airing right now or will be soon, and as I've said, I don't watch many cartoons.

Symbionic Titan
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Young Justice
The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra
Batman: Brave and the Bold
Generator Rex (I honestly thought it would be terrible when I first saw it, but it's really not)
The New Thundercats show looks pretty good.
Ben 10 (I friggin' hate it, but I recognize that it isn't that bad of a show)
The latest Scooby-doo show is apparently pretty good, though I have yet to watch it because I hate Scooby-doo.

Cartoon Network is apparently doing a whole series of shows based on DC heroes for it's new "DC Nation" block, starting with Green Lantern and produced by Bruce Timm. I don't really know much else about it, but it sounds pretty freaking cool.

So if you ask me there's plenty of good shows on right now (at least on Cartoon Network) and a few great looking ones coming out soon. And this is from a guy who rarely watches cartoons anymore. And I didn't even touch Adult cartoons either.

Actually... I disagree with you on Symbionic Titan and Ben 10.
But I don't like the former on a conceptual level. And I don't like Ben 10 because it's crap compared to the original.

dark king 1525

Nov 9, 2010
There are a lot of bad ones on tv right now, but if I had to pick one it would have to be that new version of looney toons. They have essentially taken all that the old cartoons were and turned them into a dull sitcomish show. They even change some of the characters into shadows of their former selves loosing the personallity that made people like them in the first place. And don't get me started on how ugly I think the cg work for the roadrunner and coyote segments are.

Condor219

Sep 14, 2010
Shoggoth2588 said:
This is a stupid-difficult question...There are a ton of cartoons currently on the air that I hate that have already been mentioned. So I'll just list cartoons I dislike:

Max & Ruby (Remember when Nick Jr had Busy World of Richard Scary? That was a good family show, not just crap for small children)

Iron Man: Armored Adventures

Problem Solvers

Johnny Test (seriously, my hatred for this show is unspeakable)

Mongo Wrestling Alliance

I know there are others but I can't think of any at that moment...the big one though is Johnny Test. Seriously, fuck that kid. And his dog. And his parents. And his sisters.
And right when I was about to post, this guy comes up and says everything I was going to say.

People actively lose IQ while watching those shows. Seriously, do you have to use the whip cracking sound effect every time anyone moves at all?

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
Kalith said:
The worst cartoon to me is George the Cowardly Dog. I can't stand that utter shit.
Umm... I think you mean Courage the Cowardly Dog. And... little surprised to see someone that hates the show.