Worst ending in a game.

Brown_Coat117

Oct 22, 2010
Borderlands. You worked the whole game to find the vault, then after taking out the final boss you can't enter it.

ZahariasX

Jun 25, 2008
SwimmingRock said:
Zaharias said:
Has no one here played Clive Barker's Jericho? That is easily the worst ending ever...if you can even call it that.
Crap. I'd actually blocked that out. I don't get how a game can spend so much time building up backstory only to then drop it all down a well and just end. You would think sequel bait, but there was obviously not going to be one. Baffling.
The only reason I kept playing the game was that I actually wanted to know what was gonna happen. I don't know why but I was a little interested in it so I pushed on. Only to the have the ending slap me in the face, answer nothing and leave me sitting there wondering why I just wasted those hours of my life.

BioHazardMan

Sep 22, 2009
Grathius22 said:
Modern Warfare 2.
Are you shitting me? MW2 had an AMAZING ending, awesome boat chase then you throw a knife through a guys eye. Doesn't get much better.

My most disappointing ending would probably be Bioshock 2. I was kind of bummed that
Delta dies
Great game, just a bad ending.

And Fable 2/ Borderlands were really awful.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
Don't know if it's been said, (and it probably should have) but I'd say Saint's Row 1.
The protagonist and some fat politician prick are on a boat (I won't ever forget) and he has two goons pointing guns at the protagonist.
Fat Jerk: "You see my boy, at the end of the day, there are winners and there are losers, and-" *BOAT EXPLODES* Credits roll, the words "now wait for the next game" are silently shouted at the player.

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
PinochetIsMyBro said:
Going with Fallout 3 as well. Worst. Ending. Ever.

Lyons: One of us must enter and die via massive radiation poisoning to save the day.
Me: Well, let Fawkes do it - he's immune to radiation.
Fawkes: Not my destiny, bro.
Me: I saved your life. Multiple times. I single-handedly cleared a vault full of super mutants just to get to you. You are literally condemning me or Lyons to death for something that wouldn't take you more than five seconds to do, and would not harm you in any way whatsoever.
Fawkes: Your destiny, not mine.
Me: /quitgame

I SAVED YOU FROM GETTING EATEN ALIVE BY OTHER SUPER MUTANTS FAWKES, YOU UNGRATEFUL SOB.
Am I the only one in the world who had Fawkes go in?

DVS Storm

Jul 13, 2009
Halo 2's cliffhanger and KOTOR 2's ending. Kotors 2's ebding was just so...I don't even have words for how horrible it was. And yeah I know that Obsidian didn't have time to finish it properly and blaa blaa I still hate the ending.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
My name is Fiction said:
Troublesome Lagomorph said:
Kotor 2.... It's so bad I don't even want to explain, man... UGH.
I remember KOTOR 2, I did not under stand it.
The first was better, while in the second the left they ending so unpolished because of money issues or laziness.
KoTOR II is pretty easy to understand if you actually understand Star Wars.

Basically, "The Force" is this transcendant thing (whether it works through micro organisms itself) that guides the universe through cycles. Good and Evil both get their times to reign and in between them is a very short period of balance as they transition from one to the other. The Force Users (Jedi and whomever) are it's tools to making sure the universe follows the intended path. The Star Wars movie series is pretty much the tale of an era of good coming to an end, which is why the Sith are so powerful, and The Force is cloudy for the good guys. This is why Anakin is "bringing balance" by doing all the stuff he does, with the good guys in charge and peace in the galaxy the only place to go is down.

At any rate Kreia in KoTOR II has figured all of this out, and she pretty much wants to free humanity from the grips of The Force and pretty much give everyone free will. She is very much a child of the Sith mentality, but she's operating for the greater good as she sees it (and really I can't fault her motives). She sees the first step as pretty much getting rid of all the Jedi and Sith who are the major "tools" The Force uses. Then she plans to destroy The Force itself. You step in and stop her from doing this, and pretty much keep the universal Status Quo intact.

The plotline and the ending are pretty straightforward, but the game was cut to death, and certain aspects of the storyline like "how does she plan to destroy The Force itself? she's not an idiot and obviously has a plan" are sort of cut out since it goes from "killing the Jedi" pretty much to the climax without introducing the nessicary macguffins. One can only assume that the answer to questions like this were intended to be found on the droid planet or HK factory which were cut.

What's more being a prequel, we know that obviously "The Last Jedi" has to prevent the destruction of The Force and be convinced that keeping it is for the best. There was very little about this, as the game presented it, I had a hard time not waving a "go Kreia" flag, but there was obviously intended to be another part of the story that would make stopping her the sensible thing to do.

I mean it makes sense, the set up for it all is consistant, it's just that key plot elements that explain why it has the resolution it does is missing.

I sort of suspect the final conflict was more or less going to come down to something like Kreia deciding to destroy the universe and ignite another "Big Bang" to cause a universal reboot. Yes, all current lifeforms end, but The Force dies, and when beings re-evolve later they have free will, and your character decides to stop this on the "that's horrible, there must be another way if we wait to find it", especially seeing as a cycle of good is apparently starting or whatever.

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
Well there are a bunch of obvious ones that got mentioned a million times already, like Bioshock, Assassin's Creed 1, KOTOR 2, Fable 2, etc.
BUT.
Among these games, by far the worst offender was Call of Duty: Black Ops.
So there you are, in the secret Russian submarine base, when you finally come across the big bad Russian. Mason yells at him about how he tried to get him to kill JFK, and Dragovich practically twists his twirly Russian mustache and says "TRIED?" Then you strangle him, and slowly walk out of the sinking submarine or whatever. Then the screen turns white.
Suddenly you're swimming upwards, and Reznov (who you already got rid of, don't forget) is super proud of you. Once you reach the surface, you are greeted with the most bullshit I have ever seen. The U.S. navy is just chilling up there, and a bunch of jets fly by. The whole time, a giant American flag is covering like half of the screen. Here are some examples of some endings that would have had the exact same effect:
1) A giant football field filled with naked cheerleaders cheering "U.S.A is the best!"
2) Mason gives a thumbs up and fireworks and the American flag pops out of his thumbs.
3) An image of Uncle Sam fucking Stalin in the butt.

killcheese

May 18, 2009
Bioshock and mass effect 2 suffer the same fate. The endings are not BAD, just average. However when compared to the rest of the game it feels very unsatisfying.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Troublesome Lagomorph said:
Kotor 2.... It's so bad I don't even want to explain, man... UGH.
I second this.

I loved Kotor and I was really getting into Kotor 2. I loved the change in the equipment system that Kotor 2 had, as well as I was interested in the story. It built up, and up, and up(granted it didn't take me long into the game to figure out who the final boss was going to be), but the ending was utter bull crap.

With the end of the first Kotor you get action packed space battle scenes and see what your character has truly become. But with Kotor 2, you get talked at by the final boss. Just a voice, text, and stagnant cinematics, if you can even call them cinematics. No action, or excitement, or exciting music, it is completely dry and flat.

After playing this fun and intriguing game, I get to see it all thrown in a gutter.

I understand that Lucas Arts rushed Obsidian into completing it for the holidays, but they seriously could have come up with a better ending even with a crap deadline.

blind_dead_mcjones

Oct 16, 2010
armored core 4, the ending makes zero sense, your fighting some ubermech that came out of nowhere for no reason at all*

rainbow six vegas 2, turns out the whole reason for the badguys defection and stuff was a giant hissyfit over not being considered good enough by his colleagues

* this isn't entirely true, i later found out that the original pilot of white glint had been stuck inside it or something, but for some reason the editors decided to leave that bit of dialogue out when the time came for editiing the game for its english release

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Anyone posting Persona 3 in this thread deserves to be slapped upside the head.

That ending is beautiful, damn it. I've never felt closer to a fictional robot.

OT:

Pariah: it's been mentioned before but the ending is just terrible. No idea what they were thinking. Or what was going on.

MAUSZX

May 7, 2009
Mar451 said:
Bioshock, after a great boss fight and build up it just kind of ended...very disappointing. It was very abrupt, so I did not care for it.
I did the good ending and I like it. But I have see the other endings and those are pretty bad

MAUSZX

May 7, 2009
gauntletrunner said:
MAUSZX said:
this was the worst ending I have ever see on a game and I have played halo 2.
wait, what was wrong with halo 2's ending?
Well in my opinion there was no ending, it almost said TO BE CONTINUED or something.
After playing the first halo every other halo is a dissapointment in the story telling or campaign.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
Majora's Mask. the game itself was meh but the ending was crappy. decent tune after would though

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
Vault101 said:
I would have to say the orgininal Fallout 3 ending, they way I see it it went somthing like this:

Sara lyons: "one of us must scrifice ourselves!...I'd do it but its more dramitic if you do"
Lone wanderer: "wait..die?? Look Im all for doing whats right, but dying?....I didn't sign up for that!"
Sara lyons: "fine I'll do it! but threedog's gonna be real pissed at you....selfish *****"
Lone wanderer: "what about fawkes? can't he do it?"
Fawkes: "No freind, it is your DESTINY!"
Lone wanderer: "to die just like dad? thats so stupid, he got himself killed for no reason!"
Fawkes: "YOUR DESTINY!!!"
Lone Wanderer: "but...but after all the good I did? after everything Ive been through? "
Sara lyons: "seriously we'll all remeber you forever...or we won't whatever Just do it already Im getting bored here"
Lone wanderer: "*sigh* alright Im doing it...you know being good really sucks...I wish I nuked magaton"
LOL true!

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
blind_dead_mcjones said:
armored core 4, the ending makes zero sense, your fighting some ubermech that came out of nowhere for no reason at all*

rainbow six vegas 2, turns out the whole reason for the badguys defection and stuff was a giant hissyfit over not being considered good enough by his colleagues
Yea, when i finished that i was like wtf sissy *****, then proceeded to unload an entire clip of Glock ammo into his stupid face