Worst game(s) you've ever completed

Johanthemonster666

May 25, 2010
Turok (latest incarnation). The gameplay is awful, a clumsy mish-mash of Gears of War type play: refrigerator-size manly men unloading their ammo from behind tree stumps/rocks on faceless goons, mixed with dinosaurs and other creatures. It reminded me that there has not been a single successful dino-adventure/shooter in this generation of games.

Johanthemonster666

May 25, 2010
Dutch 924 said:
Rage.

It was like a meal at an expensive French restaurant; it looked nice, but it was over far too quickly, and wasn't worth the money. I was expecting more when I got to what I learned was the end, but after the final cutscene I actually said to myself, "Is that it?"
Three disks, and it was over in six hours. And that was on Hard. It didn't even show me what the main villain looked like. Instead I was left deeply disappointed.
Yea I was pissed at the end also. I got the impression they had planned to do more, but got their funding cut halfway through development. I completed it in less than 6 hours stretched over a couple of weeks.

They may attempt to make a sequel or were just baiting us for DC patches with the abrupt ending...but it probably won't happen now.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Far Cry 2.

FC2 wasn't the worst game I've ever played, but it is the worst game that I found enjoyable enough to finish. FC2 isn't entirely bad - the graphics were, for the time, absolutely gorgeous. It had a genuinely impressive open world and some of the areas were interestingly designed. I disliked FC2 quite bit however, for the fact that it had a bare-bones plot and 3 or 4 very annoying game mechanics - such as:
1)All missions are secret mission so everyone will shoot at you all the time
2)You can only sprint for three seconds
3)This guard post you spent 5 minutes clearing? All the enemies have respawned literally only minutes since you were last here!
4)Oh, like that gun? Well it has inexplicably rusted after less than a day and all the enemies guns are also very rusty all the time, but they don't get nearly the same amount of jams as you're going to get!
5)Repeated mission types
6)Despite only wearing T-shirts, all our lowest level enemies can take 10 bullets to the gut! Fun stuff. I just love bullet-spongy enemies. That was Uncharted 1's greatest gameplay point! Everyone loves enemies that take 50% more bullets than they should to die!

I finished FC2, however. I finished it.

I will say, however, that I LOVED Far Cry 3. It had everything that was good about 2 and almost none of the bad stuff that was in 2.

Arkaijn

Apr 30, 2013
Call of Duty: MW 2

Most of the campaign felt phoned in, but every time I was about to turn it off, the game started to get just a little bit interesting but then failed at executing it. Worst was the missions where you play an American soldier that never speaks or has any meaningful interactions and then dies in what would have been a very emotional scene if you had given a damn about the character, but instead it was 3 minutes of awkwardness with me counting the seconds until it was over.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
I think we can all agree that Sonic 06 basically takes the cake in not only having really horrible gameplay, but an equally shitty and cringe worthy ending as well.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Dragon Age I. I beat something about half of it, got extremely bored with it, and I left it to be unfinished. Then my friends actually beat it, and they kept telling me it was awesome, so I picked it up again, finished it... And I still didn't like it. At all.

1) The story was bland, generic and every single plot point was just predictable.

Alistair: I have to tell you something.
Me: Oh God, please don't tell me you are the rightful king of this place, or something like that.
A: I'm a King's bastard.
M: Crap...

And many other examples including the final twist.

2) Characters (with exception of Zevran and maybe Morrigan) were so terrible, I would let them all go, if I didn't need a tank/mage/whatever in my team. I'm still baffled that so many people like Alistair (Swooping is bad? Really? You're laughing at that stuff?), Leliana lacked any interesting charcter trait, I cannot even remember anything about Oghren at the moment, Sten's saving grace was his Polish voice actor, who's talent helped me bear with him, Dog's potential as a companion was wasted, and in my books, Wynne kicked out G0-T0 from KotOR 2 from "worst companion in a western RPG game" throne.

3) Gameplay was meh at best. People praised challenging combat, but my mage turned out to learn the most broken spells in game (Cone of Cold was seriously OP. I don't know if it was a glitch or something, but I'm pretty sure at one point I managed to hold Archdemon in place with it), so I breezed through it. The like/dislike system basically forced you into certain squadmates composition depending on personality you used in dialogs (this thing was solved later in DA II, so at least they learned a bit), and anything else just didn't really stand out in any way, positively or negatively.

I remember the favorite part of the game for me was the Sloth Demon dream prison. I thought that was FINALLY something fresh and interesting, changing forms to open up new areas made me feel a little bit like in a Castlevania game, and the companions dreams were a nice way to actually give them at least some life. Then I heard that one of the most popular DA mods let's you skip it. Yeah, either I'm just from the bizzaro world, or this game just wasn't meant for me.

yentass

Jul 16, 2012
Alan Wake. I physically felt myself aging while playing it, and it only lasted 16 hours. Probably one of the most tedious games I've played.

I'd also mention Bioshock 1, but that one has the caveat of me playing it on hard right off the bat, something that has tipped the scale towards "frustrating" instead of simply "unremarkable".

mrscott137

Apr 8, 2010
Homefront, my god was that thing a pile of shit. I let my two friends talk me into buying it, and it was singlehandedly one of the worst games I have ever played, I even remember one time biching about the multiplayer on and on and on with my first game, realised I was 2nd from top and wondered 'If I'm having such a bad time, what is it like for the poor sods at the bottom of the table?'

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
mrscott137 said:
Homefront, my god was that thing a pile of shit. I let my two friends talk me into buying it, and it was singlehandedly one of the worst games I have ever played, I even remember one time biching about the multiplayer on and on and on with my first game, realised I was 2nd from top and wondered 'If I'm having such a bad time, what is it like for the poor sods at the bottom of the table?'
Had the same thing with Dead Island. Im not prone to peer pressure but somebody I respect got peer pressured and then I somehow got caught up in it out of respect for him. It didn't take long to realize how awful that game is. I couldn't even get a third of the way I was so damn bored so I had a friend slog through it while I watched, poor chap. Damn that final level was boring, I could SEE how dumb t was.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Starke said:
Skoldpadda said:
Dragon Age. Yeah, the first one. Didn't bother with the second. Look, I'm what you spotty snotheads call an "oldfag", okay? You claim your game to be the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, you better come up with something better than this endlessly padded out and shallow exercise in patience. It had some qualities, enough for me to persevere with it, but at the end it really shits in your face for your trouble. First a laughable excuse for an endboss (*click click click click click click...*), then, as a reward, the worst thing you can afflict me with: 30 Seconds To Mars. I'd say "Fuck this game", but that sounds a bit hollow when you've actually completed it, n'est-ce pas? Oh, and I actually also beat the expansion Awakening (in less than a day)! And that was even more crap. What can I say, I was unemployed and had time.
Oh god, fucking Dragon Age. There was a decent turn based combat system buried under that game, that they then slapped their trademark "Balder's Gate" real-time with pausing system over, and the whole thing degenerated into one never ending, tactically oversensitive clusterfuck.

There was that turn based flash game they released as a teaser that gave me a lot of hope for the game... and then... ugh.

I don't get to actually claim DAO, though, because I never bothered to finish it.

Then they dusted off the plot and reused it for ME3... lovely. :|

I had no intention of even looking at DA2 until I played the demo on a lark, and discovered Hawke had the option of smarting off without provocation, which was enough to get me to take a look... and what do you know? It's actually more entertaining, and less bullshity. The story is almost as dumb as DAO's, but the ability to mouth off constantly, made it vastly more entertaining.
DA2's superior to DA:O in my eyes because Origins on console was a bastard to play, and when I'm on my PC I get distracted too quickly to commit to a game.
I spent the pre-Bartrand sidequests and such saying the Good Guy thing all the time.
Then I discovered the Sarcastic Twat option.

Guess who the least popular Champion in the world is.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Halo 3. I was so relieved when my brother and I finished that in co-op.

HellbirdIV

May 21, 2009
I'm going to have to go with Spec Ops: The Line again.

After seeing reviewers on the internet singing its praises I gave it a shot (I think it was on Steam sale anyway) to find a boring modern military shooter with bad controls and repetetive environments (aside from a few setpieces like the Stadium and the final Compound assault).

And yet, despite tearing out my hair at the horrible design of some of the encounters, I powered on through because the story was supposed to be really good. It wasn't. The reveal at the end made no sense to me, being one of those "It's a TWIST! Twists are cool! Sixth Sense had a twist ending!" things that just throw you a curveball at the very end and thinks that makes it clever. No, it's not. Anyone can write a story where you reveal that the viewer was misled from the very start by withholding information and providing false input.

The much-tauted "exploration of player interactions with a game" and "morality of war" was generally poorly thought out and executed, as well. Whenever the player does something bad, it is not by their own choice. You do the only thing the game will permit you to do in order to advance the story, and that's not morality, that's just lazy modern military shooter cutscene bullshit. Modern Warfare 2 did it way, WAY better by having you partake in the massacre willfully - with the option to refuse. Refusing wouldn't change what happened, but you could still refuse, and thus the game says SOMETHING about morality.

mrscott137 said:
Homefront, my god was that thing a pile of shit.
Oh christ, thanks for reminding me of fucking Homefront. Maybe next you can jam a rusty nail into my eyeball!

Homefront is a lot like Spec Ops for me, being a shitty military shooter with a bad story. Homefront did a bit better in the gameplay department though, and had a similar instance where you misuse White Phosphorous and everything goes to shit, but actually handled it much better than Spec Ops.

On the plus side for Spec Ops, though, it had much, MUCH better characters than the horrible, one-dimensional stereotypes of Homefront - Spec Ops certainly succeeded at making me care about your squadmates. I guess it's almost a wash, but Spec Ops just insulted me more deeply.

Termagent

Sep 5, 2011
Tomb raider 6: The angel of darkness.

I bought this game with the entire collection when it was up on steam, and I knew it was going to be the worst one in the series. But I didn't realize just how bad it would be. It's so bad I don't even know where to begin *enter rant mode* HERE WE GO. The graphics are terrible. I nearly felt ill trying to go through water areas because the reflections weren't transparent and made everything nauseating. The controls are terrible, different jumps and stuff would be painful and led to me saving repeatedly.

The storyline is complete, utter garbage (even for a tomb raider game) and makes absolutely no sense. There were also unneeded RPG mechanics, which involves Lara yelling I've gotten stronger or something when she does something completely irrelevant that then allows her to jump a little further allowing you to progress.

This entire game just pissed me the right off, but I'll be damned if I wasn't going to complete it after having completed every single other one. Oh and I ended up having to use a file save editor to move myself 3 feet to bypass a fatal directX error everytime I'd enter a single pipe and it had no fix.

Fuck that game.

Schmeiser

Nov 21, 2011
The first darksiders, even though the games combat system is so boring and shallow and it's a clear dmc/GoW w/e ripoff i still finished it because i like those type of games. The only cool part was how the demons looked i found that pretty cool. But my god it's an awful game

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
Zhukov said:
What time is it? It's bitchin' time!

Witcher 2. Sluggish controls, dull setting, boring characters (except Iorveth!), messy interface, lousy dialogue, iffy voice acting. Nice implementation of story choices though. And it did look rather pretty.

Completed it because I actually enjoyed the first half and kept hoping against hope that it would somehow improve.

Knights of the Old Republic. Ugly to look at, dull characters, dull dialogue, dull setting, laughable combat, nothing else of note. The absolute nadir was those two sequences where you wear a space/diving suit Twist and walk very, very, veeeeeeery slowly down empty corridors for absolutely no reason. Twist was kinda cool though.

Completed it because I'd been told it was some kind of wonderful gem from "the golden age of Bioware". No gold was forthcoming.
ON KOTOR:
Its more of a nostalgia game, yeah now its shite but back in the day it WAS the shit, innovative and challenging with a good story and great voice acting

But now it would be considered a terrible game.

OT: ALWAYS when I do not like I game i quit out of it, so none sorry.

Malkav

Jan 17, 2012
Chaos Break

This is a really old and obscure Resident Evil ripoff. As a kid, I got stuck at the sudoku riddle (I was little and the instructions were nonsensically translated, I really tried!).

As a kid, I always imagined what the rest would be like. When you took the lift as deep as it would go, there would be an infested, incredibly creepy corridor with the worst monster yet, but after it, there would be a door you needed a higher level keycard for. So I always imagined this would be just a prelude of the horrors deep inside the research facility, and couldn't stand not getting further. I imagined walking through the tunnels of the giant mutant worm, finding a gigantic breeding cave far down there, planting bombs while being chased by the "real" monster worms. So 8 years later, I solved the puzzles and found out.
What a letdown. The rest of the game was just more of the same, just with stronger monsters you could easily avoid (they're just a waste of ammo). The later riddles were just as contrived and nonsensical as the first ones. There was NOTHING about the story that wasn't clear since the first portion.
To be fair, a few parts were very atmospheric and there was some diversity going on, but my version was a million times cooler.

Kurtoise

Jun 29, 2013
Yoshi's Island
I hate how convoluted and patched together the levels are, and didn't find much enjoyment in the mechanics either. I stuck it out for the rare good level, the final boss which I'd heard was pretty good, and just to judge the full experience. It really was insufferable.

pat34us

Sep 18, 2010
BigMack70 said:
Diablo 3

Completed Inferno solo just after patch 1.0.3 dropped. Hated that stupid Auction House simulator, and have no idea why I bothered spending a couple months finishing it.
I stopped at the brick wall called inferno.

Can I vote Final Fantasy 13? That game is beyond terrible, walk down hallway - fight boss - Watch 30 min cut scene that made no sense. The first 20 hours were a fricken tutorial for crying out loud, I only beat it to see how they would get out of the corner they were painted into, don't worry a deus ex machine ending was there to teach me a lesson.