Worst Story in a game Ever

Professor James

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2010
Greatjusticeman said:
Crackdown.

I don't even know if that should count. There wasn't even a story.

"You have super abilities, go kill thugs."
Actually
The whole story is a master plan of the pacific city government to use fear to control it's citizens

OT:Super Mario Brothers

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
Brombaq said:
Black Ops Story was actually interesting and enjoyable...
I bet you guys have never really tryed to play black ops only focusing on the singleplayer especially the twist in that story is nice. I know that there are better games out there but I cant stand people that say that the story sucks.
You're gonna hate this forum then, 'cause nearly everyone hates that series with a passion. Me including, the story just consisted out of random things they had came up with (Glass-Jaw, Vietnam Crossfire-Nova-Gass, etc etc) and build some gameplay about it. Nevermind that almost nothing makes sense, actually happened, could have happened or will ever happened. Multiplayer wise, if you want to play CoD go play CoD4 last good game Activison made (apart from Guitar here stuff, but that not good, that's just personal preference)

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
The worst story ever is the kind of story that not only sucks in and of itself, but also ruins well over a decade of continuity and discredits all of its superior preceding games.

That's why I'd have to give the award to Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight. A game whose story was so bad that it not only failed in itself, but it also went out of its way to ensure that the 3 preceding games and all of their spin-offs were completely pointless and nonsensical.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Half Life 2. I really like the whole mystery and no one knowing what was going on in the first one. I thought the second one missed the mark though, as if everyone knew more than you, but they were keeping it a secret. I really wanted there to be a "Pummel NPC until they tell you what they know about the situation" button.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
There are two contenders

-Fallout 3
This plot started out pretty decent, but just after the halfway point (done via a surprisingly creative sequence; the standout of the game, IMO) it goes completely fucking bananas.

But there is one so much worse than Fallout 3 in recent memory
-Final Fantasy 7: Dirge of Cerberus

I'm not even going to try to sort this shit out for you. This is character-driven narrative where nothing even tries to make sense. Deus Ex Machina runs rampant from the very first scene of the game, all the way to the end (even in the sequel-bait "secret ending" that thankfully went nowhere).

This is a train wreck of narrative form within a travesty of a game starring comically retarded characters (including an antagonist who wears what can only be described as a jock-strap, on his face).

scott91575

Jun 8, 2009
Bionic Commando. Spoilers (not that is matters at this point since I am sure everyone already knows)....your arm is your wife.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
The Sorrow said:
Am I the only one in the world who LIKED Dragon Age II's story?

To me, it seemed like it treated Kirkwall itself as the main character and explored how it evolved in response to your actions. I really enjoyed it.

And yes, I've played Dragon Age I and beaten it twice. Combat in the first was certainly better but the stories were equally fun to me.
If Kirkwall was a character, it was the most boring character in the history of boring characters. The city didn't develop over time, and everything was the same in each act, the only difference being what skybox was used.

I would have liked it much more if we saw the city expand, or have new areas open up as the game progressed. But every single area was exactly the same. Hell, even the endgame zone was ripped from the Fade section and given a palette swap.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
Games like Heavy Rain and Modern Warfare 2, to me, seem to get undue criticism of their stories. There are initial complaints about story that are invalid, and in fact have completely logical explanations. Then, delving further finds other issues; it takes some arguing back and forth before any such discussion reaches a point where I can only throw up my hands and say "You're right, that doesn't make much sense." But at that point it really doesn't matter, because that level of analysis is so far removed from what makes the game enjoyable that it doesn't affect the game itself. All games break lots of elements of realism, even in terms of people's motivations and how far they're willing to go, so I don't think it's unreasonable that Call of Duty brings about World War 3, and Heavy Rain has incompetent police officers (MANY real-life police stations have completely incompetent homicide squads!!!)

Anyway, Just Cause 2 has some pretty horrible reasoning in its story. In an effort to take out the violent, controlling government, you help some violent, controlling gangs to cause an uprising, and destroy government property that makes people's lives bearable, like bringing heat and electricity to their homes. Some games like Brink, Crackdown, and APB have you doing the exact opposite.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
Force unleashed 2. I stood up for Lucas Arts until I played that fucking waste of a- There is no logic to most anything that happens!
Why does the Gorog have natural holes in it's fucking arms? I've heard of creatures warped by the Dark Side, but why the fuck would it result in comparitively scrawny limbs? Why did those people build a city hanging from fucking archways? Were they worried about local wildlife? Did fucking laser guns not work on them? What did that planet have that was worth the massive safety risk of one too many drunken pilots crashing into the thing and bringing it all crashing down as opposed to a fucking space station? Why did any of those bullshit droids the empire sent after you even exist? I thought the Ice Bot was a Kamino-only thing, meant to capture renegade clones alive, freeze them to keep their precious DNA or some shit, but we see them in Arch-city too. The Fire Bots (a fucking palette swap) have absolutely no right to exist, what happened to the fire troopers from the last game? Come to think of it, where did most of the old enemies go? Why the fuck did Kota have his lightsaber handle slung over his back like one might a real sword?! You'd look like a fucking moron, like when a wizard character carries his/her staff on their back, it's a walking stick, you tool! You can carry it as you go and not look hostile as you might if carrying a sword or something. Two Worlds 2 got this right, and as far as I know, it's the only one.

Also, at one point, they say cloning jedi is completely impossible. (they do it just fine in the expanded universe, but here they never go back and explain why "impossible" was wrong.

Furthermore, was everything that happened in these games just ignored by everyone? Are we honestly to think there were bullshit droids, ridiculous force power, Darth Vader being captured alive like some common fucking cartoon villian, his dialogue equally worthy of a kidney punch to the writer, and the fucking ending(s), I can't even, [sub]motherfucking, sone og a, garfle[/sub]

[sub]Phew. I feel pretty good now.[/sub]...And that no one ever spoke of any of it as they do other things in the series?

My only explanation for that twisted mess was that it was some alternate universe where jedi are ridiculous and everyone's a colossal moron.

Harkonnen64

Jul 14, 2010
silverleaf81 said:
Minecraft and Terraria. Why? Because they have no story.
Can you really say a story is bad if there isn't one? One of those deep, esoteric questions I guess...

silverleaf81

Oct 2, 2009
Harkonnen64 said:
silverleaf81 said:
Minecraft and Terraria. Why? Because they have no story.
Can you really say a story is bad if there isn't one? One of those deep, esoteric questions I guess...
If i had to choose games that do have storys, i would choose COD Black Ops for its cr*ppy and weird story.

Even though i loved this game, Just Cause 2 had bad story and bad voice actors. But other than that, one of the best sandbox games i have ever played.

Whoatemysupper

Aug 20, 2010
Raskolnikov34 said:
Modern Warfare 2.

I could right pages on the amount of plot holes in that game.
Also, anything involving "space marines" (with the exception of Mass Effect).

Most game stories are generally shit though, so a better question would be to ask about the good stories.
While Starcraft (and the sequel) don't have the most complex stories, they are delivered very well and do not entirely emulate Star Wars.

ChickenZombie

May 25, 2011
SNIPERFOX ft. Harry P.Ness said:
Call of duty modern warfare. all of them
call of duty black-ops.
Battlefield bad company 1 & 2
Battlefield 3.

reason: All together now kids!
COLD WAR FANTASIST WANK GAMES!
Battlefield 3 isnt even out yet? Bad Company 1 & 2 had bad stories, along with the cod games mentioned, but battlefield 3 isnt even out. How will you know what it's about?

I would have to say for STORY (not gameplay/fun related at all) the worst I have played would be Mirrors Edge. It was really short, and was an excuse to run. I hope they focus on the plot more for the second one. I loved the game, just the story was too flimsy.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
Sensenmann said:
Borderlands must be mentioned as the biggest let down.

Mirrors Edge was about clearing your sister's name and killing lots of policemen though.
But I never killed them just knocked them out.

Metal Arms Glitch in the System has a pretty bad story. But the sexual references were hilarious.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Enslaved. The characters were fine, but the story itself was bad, mostly because of that retarded ending that was completely out of left field.

cdstephens

Apr 5, 2010
Anyone else think the Covenant was so much more interesting than the humans?

OT: Red Alert 3 was so bad it was hilarious. Though it would have been funny if they went back to kill Einstein before he killed Hitler in the timestream so that Germany became a playable race as the Nazis.