Would Americans play a game in which the United States is the bad guy?

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
I haven't got a patriotic bone in my body; me and America have a strictly professional relationship, and a rocky one at that. I DO NOT approve of it's conduct either at home or on foreign soil. Hell, I think the concept of being loyal to any country beyond your connection to the people who happen to live there is a product of propaganda.

I live here, I pay my taxes, I obey the law, and in return America provides infrastructure, security, and leaves the fuck alone.

So no, I would have absolutely no problem with a game that portrayed the American government as the collection of tyrannical fuckwits - it's not far from the truth. It'd probably also piss a lot of my least favorite people off, so I would personally welcome it.

"Would any of you Americans play a game in which you are the evil ones and need to be stopped?"

A game about the American government being evil wouldn't be a game about me being evil; I'm not physically attached to the country I live in. The Holocaust wasn't the fault of the German citizens.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
WinterWyvern said:
Let me put it this way: loving your country is laughed at here, because everyone loves 'Murica instead and thinks our country is awful while America is awesome, and everyone eats at McDonald's, everyone watches American movies, if they're a teen they dress up like American rapper gangstas (really, do actual Americans even dress like that anymore), everyone knows more about American politics than our own politics, and everyone looks like they know more American words than Italian words.
And don't even let me tell you how it feels like to be a professional translator EN<IT here: we are NOT allowed to translate titles in our own language because "American sounds cooler".

It's why I always saw America as the enemy - I've literally seen it strip away my own country's culture over the years.
So, you're saying that the following has become a reality?

Then you get news about how Americans celebrate soldiers and war while us Italians hate war and soldiers, and it just makes things worse, you know.
A lot of us don't. And a lot of us celebrate our soldiers and hate war. We just often take pride in when we have to blow things up, we have people trained to hell and back to do it well. Celebration of the ability to thrive in chaos, if you will.
And then there's Trump, the cherry on the cake.
CAN'T STUMP THE TRUMP

Thatguyky

May 23, 2011
As an American and someone that has stayed in New England all his life for the most part, I can honestly say I'd gladly play a game that made "Murica" the bad guys. One reason is simply because it'd be a breath of fresh air, something different than every other game out there. A second reason is because it'd be interesting to see how other countries or the country that developed the game thinks of the U.S, and lastly, I'm not exactly patriotic. I definitely don't see America as the greatest country, and I don't think it ever really has been. Plus as of late things seem to be getting worse (that's a discussion for another thread though xD )

But yeah, in short I'd love to play a game like you described. I can think of plenty of times in history where the U.S wasn't really the "good" guys.

Feb 26, 2014
canadamus_prime said:
I'd play that, but then I'm Canadian and I usually see the US as bad guys anyway (no offence).
Oh, yeah, totally man. None taken. America loves Canada and we definitely aren't planning any sort of retaliation for our totally not hurt feelings.
[http://s438.photobucket.com/user/KnivesTJ/media/Nuked.gif.html]​

WinterWyvern said:

Honestly, it seems less like it's America's fault and more like it's your countries fault for so readily ditching it's cultural identity and replacing it with a terrible one like America's. You can't really blame America for it, unless we finally worked the kinks out of that mind control device.

WinterWyvern said:
...We're really sorry about him.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
Honestly, I'd love to see a game with the US firmly in the 'bad guy' role or if the US didn't play a role at all, particularly if it was a military-based FPS game since almost all of the ones I've played always had the US firmly in the driver's seat.

One of the reasons WW2 FPS games became stale so quickly for me was the fact that the focus on the US meant I was playing almost the same battles again and again in each game. World at War is still my favourite WW2 game purely for the Russian campaign.

Since the US is one of the biggest markets for games if not the biggest market, I can certainly understand why America or American characters are put in the limelight so often but something different would be nice at least for a change of pace.

Disclaimer: I am only half American and I have lived in Canada my entire life.

Edit: I feel I should make it clear that I'm not saying this because I have any anti-American sentiments. It's purely in the sense that I'm bored of seeing similar hero and villain types again and again.

9tailedflame

Oct 8, 2015
It's adorable how you think Americans are the only country that would make themselves the good guy in a game. Because who wants to see themselves as the good guys right? Also, if by "the united states" you mean "the united states government", then there's plenty of games where the US gov is the bad guy.

Don't get me wrong, i personally don't care whatsoever for call of duty or any of those kinds of games, I like a bit more high fantasy/scifi in my games, but this "hur dur america is super evil gaiz! I'm gonna go on about how evil it is while also benefiting from it's existence greatly" just reeks of pre-pubescent angst more than anything, it just comes off as bratty. America ain't perfect, one look at our current election will tell you that much, but it's not this big monolithic evil that so many of you think it is. It's imperfect people in an imperfect system. It has it's flaws and it's benefits like any other country.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
WinterWyvern said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
So, you're saying that the following has become a reality?
Aha, what anime is that?

But yeah, there's a reason why that kind of joke gets made. It's because it's real.
Check out the music video "America" by Rammstein, because it's really spot on.

To be honest, I also like America, because I can't help it if I am fascinated by all foreign cultures. Besides, what other country sells guns on supermarkets and is so crazy that not even Japan could compete?

I also know on a rational point of view that it happened to be America but it might have been any other country that happened to rule (see how they're starting to put Chinese stuff everywhere now). Hey, in the past it was MY country, Italy, that ruled everything and had everyone dress like them and talk like them and like the things they liked. And that was many, many centuries before the globalization.
Yugioh Abridged. The characters name is Bandit Keith and his catchphrase is "in America" which he ends nearly everything he says ("hahaha...in america!" "you cant ask for help, that is against the rules....in america!") even though he is actually Canadian.

Also its a bit weird to complain about our country exporting culture considering that basically every country in the world exports their culture to us (that is what the American culture is, nearly everything we have came from somewhere else) especially considering Italy gave the US the Italian Mafia. Im pretty sure exporting a major crime syndicate is much worse than exporting a culture (in which the Italian culture is a major component in it), but we dont hold that against Italy.

Also, if you talk to almost any American, they will tell you that life is worse now than it ever has been and that the end times are almost upon our country, and that sentiment has been pretty consistent for awhile now.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
WinterWyvern said:
But, on a purely emotional point of view, it always bothers me to see modern movies and tv series with their titles in American. Not even twenty years ago we used to translate titles at least. Especially since most people don't even know English well enough to translate the titles by themselves.... and yet they still want American titles because it's "so cool".
On this I completely agree with you. I despise the Finnish language getting more and more English influences that won't get translations. I really wish they'd fine whatever publication lets their people speak or write (thank goodness this is still very rare) that way. Though of course the fault lies mainly here. Nobody officially translated Angry Birds or Clash of Clans for example. Most American blockbusters go untranslated nowadays. The title is in Finnish usually only if they're based on a book.

I'm just sad that it looks like the predictions are coming true and Finnish will be reduced to a pidgin in a couple of generations. Damn globalization.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
WinterWyvern said:
Aha, what anime is that?
Yu-Gi-Oh, but as said just above me, the lines are from the Abridged version.
But yeah, there's a reason why that kind of joke gets made. It's because it's real.
Check out the music video "America" by Rammstein, because it's really spot on.
Coca-Cola, sometimes war.
To be honest, I also like America, because I can't help it if I am fascinated by all foreign cultures. Besides, what other country sells guns on supermarkets
Funnily enough, describing Wal-Mart as a supermarket has always felt odd to me.
and is so crazy that not even Japan could compete?
There's a joke here about us making them crazy in the first place.
I also know on a rational point of view that it happened to be America but it might have been any other country that happened to rule (see how they're starting to put Chinese stuff everywhere now). Hey, in the past it was MY country, Italy, that ruled everything and had everyone dress like them and talk like them and like the things they liked. And that was many, many centuries before the globalization.
You can possibly blame Japan for getting us riled up and deciding to get pissed to bother doing anything we've done in the first place.
But, on a purely emotional point of view, it always bothers me to see modern movies and tv series with their titles in American.
... You mean English, right?
Not even twenty years ago we used to translate titles at least. Especially since most people don't even know English well enough to translate the titles by themselves.... and yet they still want American titles because it's "so cool".
Same for Anime series all over in a lot of cases or various films where the name just fits to the character of what it is.
Ryotknife said:
even though he is actually Canadian.
SPOILERS MAN

irish286

Mar 17, 2012
WinterWyvern said:
irish286 said:
WinterWyvern said:
I bet they don't. They live in a culture that teaches them since an early age that 'Murica is the best country and is never wrong and their soldiers are good guys.

I would play the heck out of such game, tho.
Actually no, we're taught the exact opposite. Hell, some schools even ban the wearing of American flags because that's "divisive"...
Also, your enthusiasm at making us out to be villains is a bit ridiculous.
I'm sorry, but I've always seen Americans as the villains.

It's hard to understand and to explain unless you are not American, like me.

Rejoice in the fact that as time goes on I'm starting to see the Chinese ready to replace you Americans as the evil overlords, in the near future.

Let me put it this way: loving your country is laughed at here, because everyone loves 'Murica instead and thinks our country is awful while America is awesome, and everyone eats at McDonald's, everyone watches American movies, if they're a teen they dress up like American rapper gangstas (really, do actual Americans even dress like that anymore), everyone knows more about American politics than our own politics, and everyone looks like they know more American words than Italian words.
And don't even let me tell you how it feels like to be a professional translator EN<IT here: we are NOT allowed to translate titles in our own language because "American sounds cooler".

It's why I always saw America as the enemy - I've literally seen it strip away my own country's culture over the years.

Then you get news about how Americans celebrate soldiers and war while us Italians hate war and soldiers, and it just makes things worse, you know.

First off, we don't celebrate war. And second, whats wrong with supporting the people who dedicate their lives to defending your nation and it's interests?
Loving your country is laughed at here as well. A large portion think our country is awful while Europe is awesome. Teens have a problem with dressing like morons here as well. Thug culture is popularized and pressured on kids by their peers. The Thug culture you see isn't our overarching culture. It's just what is being push by the young and stupid right now. If you want to see what our general culture looks like go watch American sitcoms in the 90s and early 2000s. With particular emphasis on Everybody Loves Raymond, Friends, and Home Improvement.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Where "America" is the bad guy? No, because that's terrible writing stereotyping 300 million+ people. Where "America's governments or a group of Americans" are the "bad guy"? Sure.

ZinWolfe

Apr 25, 2016
I'm an American and I would gladly play a game where the United States is the bad guy (note, you could just make a WWII game from the viewpoint of a German soldier). Also, I'm not getting where "Americans are taught they are the best" thing is coming from. When I was in grade school we were taught that we were no better or worse than any other country, just that we should consider ourselves lucky to be in a country that has an plenty of food and water. Second, in America today students are taught that either the US Government is evil or that Americans are bad people. So given that, a game in which the Americans are the bad guys would probably do really well here.

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
ravenshrike said:
I wouldn't be so sure about that
http://www.vice.com/read/nazis-chic-is-asias-offensive-fashion-craze-456
Asia in general has a weird obsession with Nazi Germany.

Of course, the one thing the Nazis had was good fashion sense.

To be fair, Asia has always been predispotioned towards despotism. Sure Asia isn't as bad in Middle East in terms of having only autocracies as the only government but countries like Japan never had a true civilian revolution with the sole exception of China. Japanese government has maintained a monarchy with an military autocrat to maintain their power. Hell even their democratic government is effectively an one party government that ruled Japan for 70 years.

So not surprised to see them worship far right ideologies.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Splinter Cell, Final Fantasy VII, Civilization, The Escapists, Destroy All Humans!...

Yeah. I'd say so.

Julianos_Valentinus

Mar 23, 2013
As a European I'd love to play a game set in a parallel universe where America is some sort of fascist country and thereby the enemy of the main character, but our America in this universe? They're pretty good guys IMO. The anti-America sentiment needs to die down already. We weren't hating them when they saved us during WW1, we weren't hating them when they saved us during WW2. Hell, we took that money they gave us for rebuilding everything destroy because of OUR war with a big smile and said "Thanks!".

So yeah, they've made mistakes. So did we. I'm Dutch and I love how people tend to rant on WW2, but always seem to forget to mention that right after the oppression by the Nazis we went to Indonesia and committed war crimes until we finally gave up in 1949. I mean, it only took 45000 to 100000 victims. That's nothing compared to what the evil Nazis did, right? Then there's Belgium and its actions in the Congo under King Leopold. The Spanish, the French, the Germans, the Italians, all of them have their own gritty violent history.

So let's stop this entire "America is evil! They made this mistake and this mistake, aaaggh" and just accept that every nation in the world has its flaws. Please. Besides, I like to think of America as family. Sort of the rebellious child who kicked their parent out of the house and ended up becoming a respectable adult. And just like family, we point fingers at each other, gossip about each other and complain about each other.

Because that's what family's all about!

Level 7 Dragon

Typo Kign
Mar 29, 2011
WinterWyvern said:
irish286 said:
WinterWyvern said:
I bet they don't. They live in a culture that teaches them since an early age that 'Murica is the best country and is never wrong and their soldiers are good guys.

I would play the heck out of such game, tho.
Actually no, we're taught the exact opposite. Hell, some schools even ban the wearing of American flags because that's "divisive"...
Also, your enthusiasm at making us out to be villains is a bit ridiculous.
I'm sorry, but I've always seen Americans as the villains.

It's hard to understand and to explain unless you are not American, like me.

Rejoice in the fact that as time goes on I'm starting to see the Chinese ready to replace you Americans as the evil overlords, in the near future.

As a Russian bloke, I get from where you are comming from. Though Id argue that this is part of a larger problem. Many minority groups here are forced to abandon their languages and cultures because they are no longer viable in the outside world.

Great nations are gangsters, small nations are prostitutes.

Also, I doubt that the Chinese would be great sentinels of civilization IMHO.

And Trump is.. well, I agree with you on that one.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Julianos_Valentinus said:
As a European I'd love to play a game set in a parallel universe where America is some sort of fascist country and thereby the enemy of the main character, but our America in this universe? They're pretty good guys IMO. The anti-America sentiment needs to die down already. We weren't hating them when they saved us during WW1, we weren't hating them when they saved us during WW2. Hell, we took that money they gave us for rebuilding everything destroy because of OUR war with a big smile and said "Thanks!".

So yeah, they've made mistakes. So did we. I'm Dutch and I love how people tend to rant on WW2, but always seem to forget to mention that right after the oppression by the Nazis we went to Indonesia and committed war crimes until we finally gave up in 1949. I mean, it only took 45000 to 100000 victims. That's nothing compared to what the evil Nazis did, right? Then there's Belgium and its actions in the Congo under King Leopold. The Spanish, the French, the Germans, the Italians, all of them have their own gritty violent history.

So let's stop this entire "America is evil! They made this mistake and this mistake, aaaggh" and just accept that every nation in the world has its flaws. Please. Besides, I like to think of America as family. Sort of the rebellious child who kicked their parent out of the house and ended up becoming a respectable adult. And just like family, we point fingers at each other, gossip about each other and complain about each other.

Because that's what family's all about!
I don't think there was any ''saving'' required in World War one. Firstly because the Germans didn't want to conquer all of Europe, the war wasn't like that and Americans really didn't contribute enough to be considered as them ''saving'' the allies who were most likely always going to win.

In the second war...yes America saved the day but only AFTER they desperately tried to stay out of things. And even then I'd say Russia did much more.

But I would like to see a game with America as the villains. Not because I'm particularly anti America but because its boring to see Russia, China or Arabs repeatedly returning to the villain role for the noble Americans to fight, its boring to see American Marines take the hero role by default.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I feel like all the games listed in the thread miss the point of OP. I don't think I've played a game where the USA is portrayed as the real evil. Even long before the enemy is shown to be american, the game keeps hammering the no true Scotsman fallacy into our skull.

Just think about it.
When Germany is portrayed as the evil, the county is pure evil. It's fine freedom loving democrat American soldier that are saving the whole world from the pure evil, irredeemable freedom hating nazi pigs.
When Russia is portrayed as the evil, the country is pure evil. It's fine freedom loving democrat American soldier that are saving the whole world from the pure evil, irredeemable freedom hating communist pigs. Copy past the same for China and any other country besides the USA.

But when the USA is portrayed as evil, it actually isn't. It's always a rogue agency, lone traitor or a single faction. And even then the REAL American, the freedom loving, all loving REAL American soldier will fight the FAKE evil "American" and save the day and bring peace to everyone besides no other country can do anything, but that lone soldier will win the fight because he's a walking God. He is God because he is a REAL American that loves freedom and democracy! And loves true American family values.

Even when the USA is portrayed as evil, they are also portrayed as the good guys saving the day. You will absolutely always have a moral lecture about how the evil guys aren't real Americans, because real Americans are always the good guys. And it's getting annoying. It's not getting annoying because the USA is portrayed as the good guys. It's getting annoying because games are equating MURICA FUCK YEAH! with being good. They are sending a message that everything good is American. And everything bad is non-American. Even if a person from the bad nation is portrayed as good, he's Americanized. He values the TRUE American values. Because only American values can be good. It got to a point where even in fiction where you don't have any real country you can safely say "Yup, this is the US and those people are Americans". But that evil guy will have a strong British/German/Russian accent.