Would you give up your name?

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
A couple of days ago I was hanging out with my boyfriend and a few of his friends and marriage came up as a general conversation topic. I was the only girl in the room and I asked everyone whether they would expect their future spouse to take their surname or if they would ever consider taking their spouse's second name instead of their own.

None of them said that they would be willing to give up their own name but that they wouldn't expect their spouse to give up her surname either. Only one said that he would like his family to have the same second name, so he would prefer if his future wife to take his surname but would be open to taking hers if she really pushed the subject.

So, regardless of your gender, would you be open to the idea of changing your second name after marriage? Are you a traditionalist who would expect your wife to take your surname and would never consider giving up your own? Or, would you want both parties to keep their birth names?

Personally, I don't think I could ever give up my name, it's very important to me. Of course, I wouldn't expect my spouse to give his up either.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
As a woman, I don't think I would, as there is only my sister and I left in the family to carry on our last name. No one else has it anymore, and I would feel terrible letting it die out. It's not too common of a name.

Also, these days, your name is everywhere - it's not easy career-wise to change you name especially when you have a lot of contacts and such. The amount of legwork you have to do to inform everyone just strikes me as way too difficult.

Plus all those extra fees to update everything else with a name-change. Not worth it.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
No I would not take my spouse's name but I would not expect her to take mine either.If she wanted to then fine but there would be absolutely no pressure from my side

As for kids then,I don't know,maybe a compromise where male kids would take my name and female kids hers.No double-barrelled names thank you

Of course all this is hypothetical as I really can't see myself ever getting married

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
I couldn't care much either way really, would give it up if said spouse wanted me to enough, my name is boring and shit.

Not literally.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
I wouldn't mind giving up my last name, my parents got divorced a while back and due to legal reasons I have to keep my father's surname and lets just say i'm not that fond of him at the moment. Thus explaining why I wouldn't mind giving it up.

I wouldn't expect my spouse to give up her name, that's would be entirly up to her.

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
I really don't know, it's not something that i've ever given much thought to. I suppose that i'd quite like my other half to take my last name as it's just traditional. I'd be open to having a double barrel surname too, as i quite like them for some strange reason. Saying that all though if she really wanted to keep her last name then i wouldn't have a problem with that.

Jan 27, 2011
Hmm.....

I think we should both keep our default last names.

But considering she has a totally badass last name, I wouldn't mind taking that as my own last name either. XD

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
I really don't care either way. I'm not particularly attached to my name other than because I'm used to it.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
On one hand, I have no great attachment to my surname, so I wouldn't particularly care about giving it up. On the other hand, my initials are ECW, so as a wrestling fan, maintaining that appeals to me. So consider it a toss-up.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I don't know.

I have little attatchment to my name. But it is my name and I'm not sure if I want to change it. (As for the people who say `No, it's not. It's your dad's` those people suck).

I still haven't made up my mind about what I will do when I get married. I may change my name, I may not. My boyfriend wants to keep his name, but he's mixed on the idea of double-barrelling or me keeping mine. I know he'll support what I do, I just dont know what I will do yet.

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
I can't pronounce my second name (bloody Yorkshire Accent) so I'd be in favor of changing it from Northing to Norving, which is what it my family name was until my Grandad had his name spelled wrong on his birth certificate.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I am not into too much stuff at the moment, also considering that I want to change my name anyway I would do it.

By "into too much stuff" I mean stuff like I don't have any contracts or loans in my name, I do live by myself so I would have to inform tax, water, electric and gas companies etc.

Captcha: smell that ... fucking really?

WhyBotherToTry

Jun 22, 2011
As a guy I wouldn't expect my wife to take my last name but at the same time I don't think I'd take hers either. Though I've always wondered in that situation whose name would the children take?

Vuliev

Jul 19, 2011
I won't give up mine, but I won't expect my wife give up hers for mine.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
I wouldn?t give up my own name, nor expect a potential future spouse to do so merely out of ?traditional values?. She can do what she likes; it?s her name that she?ll have to live with for the rest of her life, so why should I have any say in the matter?

I have little to no desire to get married or have children anyway.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
I'm pretty sure gay people don't do that, ever. It makes you look like brothers/sisters instead of a couple.

So no.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I would, I don't particularly care about my name, it's not part of who I think I am, I mean it doesn't really matter what name I have I'd still be me, so sure I would change my name if that's what my partner required, though I'm not too sure if I'd ever bother getting a partner.