Would you purposely name your child with something exotic or from a video game etc?

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Depends on the name. I mean, I'm not going to name my kid Dovahkiin or whatever, but naming a kid Marcus after the Gears of War knucklehead (first thing that came to mind /shrug) is not inherently bad.

Now that I think about it a bit more, I'd probably use Ryan (after Jack/Andrew Ryan in Bioshock), Isaac (Dead Space), Jade (Beyond Good & Evil) or Faith (Mirror's Edge) as potential kid names. If I was feeling really adventurous I might even use Alcatraz (Crysis 2) as a name, though I doubt it.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Launcelot111 said:
I run into the same issue with boy's names- I'm not about to name my future son Agamemnon
Dude, why not? Best name ever. Instant +400 respect points just for having that as a name.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I might name a daughter "Trip", or at least grant it to her as a nickname. I'd be more sneaky about it, though, like slipping in a name as a middle name. "Firstname Aran Surname" kind of thing.

May 5, 2010
DarkishFriend said:
Would you puposely name your child with something exotic or from a videogame etc?
Uh...As opposed to accidentally doing that?

OT: No. Maybe with a dog that's OK, but we're talking about a human being, and what they're going to be called for the rest of their lives. It shouldn't be a reference to some random thing their parents happen to like.

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
would call a doughter zelda. not obnoxius, doesnt sound bad, works in both native language and english. and normal people would not turn heads at it.

Kotch

Aug 27, 2008
Launcelot111 said:
If I had a daughter, I'd name her after characters out of Greek mythology, like Calliope or Cassandra. I know Cassandra is a semi-common name, but I would name my kid with the Iliad in mind on this one. I dig Persephone too, but I can't think of a good way to shorten that. I run into the same issue with boy's names- I'm not about to name my future son Agamemnon
Had a Teacher once named Cato (Roman Empire 2nd punic war Cato the elder)

instant respect...

requisitename

Dec 29, 2011
Absolutely not.

I think people should have their breeding rights revoked for giving their kids stupid or stupidly spelled names. There are "normal" names that aren't "common".. two of my three nieces have them! (The other has a fairly popular name, spelled normally.) It's just flat out cruel to give your kid a name that's going to get them ridiculed.

As for stupid spellings, if someone is going to go with a traditional name, they should spell it the way people are going to think it's spelled to save confusion. People may think they're being creative or unconventional, but the kid is the one who has to live with the stupid name they're given for at least 18 years (unless the parents take pity and help them legally change it earlier). It's hard to take people with dumb names seriously.

The Thinker

Jan 22, 2011
My child(ren) will have (a) funny name(s). So... yeah.

Like, I might name my kid ~Albert, pronounced with a raspy throat A.

I might end up being a bad parent, by some definitions... (like the one of the guy above me.)

TheVioletBandit

Oct 2, 2011
Vault101 said:
probably not

I have thourght about Kaiden though

If I had a husky with blue eyes I would call him Garrus
If I had a dog I would call him waffles, because I like waffles. Feel like I should say something else, but can't think of anything sooooo bye.

madster11

Aug 17, 2010
I totally want to name a daughter Saria, just because i think it's a cool name on its own.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Terminate421 said:
I'll give the next 15 posts to guess where my first son will be named from, winner gets a cookie.

His name will be Grif.

On an unrelated note: I'm also thinking of naming other sons Isaac, Carmine, or Doug.
KOTOR. Mission's loser brother's name.

Its the only Grif (or Griff) I know.

Viral_Lola

Jul 13, 2009
I almost named my daughter Kara Grace after Kara Trace and Grace Park because she was almost born on the same day as the BSG finale. She was born the next morning but her middle name is after a Wagner opera.

Launcelot111 said:
If I had a daughter, I'd name her after characters out of Greek mythology, like Calliope or Cassandra. I know Cassandra is a semi-common name, but I would name my kid with the Iliad in mind on this one. I dig Persephone too, but I can't think of a good way to shorten that. I run into the same issue with boy's names- I'm not about to name my future son Agamemnon
You could do Jason and if he ever has a band, have him name it "Jason and the Argonauts.? I also thought Troy would be a cool name for a boy even though it is the name of a city.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
If I name my kid for a video game character, it would be something that I could easily hide and something that would not draw too much attention to the him or her.

I would not name my kid Kal El, Kratos, Tidus, Wakka, Vaan, or Penelo, but I would name them Athena, Kara, Clark, Link, Leon, Robin, or even Sora.

The more exotic sounding names, I would give those names to my pets.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
DarkishFriend said:
While it's beyond stupid for people to name their kids with something that doesn't even sound like a name, but if you got the final choice, would you name your kid after a character that has a normal sounding name?

I'd name a son Dante, Virgil, Judas, or Junus.
Dante. Virgil. From a video game.

I...

I'm gonna go scream now. Be back in a few hours.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Final First said:
I wouldn't name my child(ren) the name of any video game character unless it happened to be a coincidence. If I had a son I would either be a complete bastard and name them after myself or name them after someone great in the past, such as a general or philosopher; so long as the name wasn't weird enough to cause mockery.

Off Topic: I once heard of a girl named La-sha. It is suppose to be pronounced Ladasha. The mother who named her apparently gets upset when teachers and others fail to spell her name as intended, which is La-sha. I'll be laughing when I hear the story of a foreigner pronouncing the dash as it is called in their language. La-halbgeviertstrich-a?. Correct me if I'm wrong with that name, I just Googled the German name real quick.
Do you by chance live near Flint? I know a girl with the same name and it doesn't sound like that common of a name.

On Topic: I would name them after a character as long as it isn't ridiculous. My parents were debating naming me after a car (Shelby) or a character on Star Trek (Rayna). I wish I was called Rayna, that's a way cooler name.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
I've been considering that for a while, though in subtle way. Should I ever have a daughter, I would name her Karan. After Karan S'jet.
LOOK IT UP.