Would you purposely name your child with something exotic or from a video game etc?

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Personally, I'm thoroughly disinclined to name any of my kids with a name I've encountered in real life at least once. My fiancée and I agree that if we have a daughter, we want to name her Kolinka. One name we've decided on for a son is Tobias.

Although there's a character from Freelancer with that name, I wouldn't use it because of that. I just like the name and haven't met anyone with it.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
No, I wouldn't.

Call me old fashioned, but I like to keep my hobbies seperate from naming my offspring.
Old fashioned...

But to be honest I am actually with you there... My local paper does a spread on the middle pages each week called 'School in Focus'. It pics a local pre school/ primary school or secondary school, a different one each week, and puts a small fact file and a photo montage of the school kids there... it then names all the kids in the photos... each week me and my mum go through and look at how many ridiculous names appear across the pages... like Angel, Princess and Aimee (it's the spelling that is ridiculous!)... Or Jaziaah, Alfred (seriously... in the 00's?) and Liat... BTW, those names are all English white kids... (As in I am not ethnically judging names... Jaziaah was a white boys name!?)

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
I'd name my son Gordon. Common enough name, but also epic.
Guess he'd have to become a physicist, though...

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
If I ever do have a son, I will name him Nathan Zachary.
It's an awesome name, and I think it sounds normal enough for it not to cause any problems later in life.

If I have a daughter, I have no idea what to call her.

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
Awesome scenario:
I name my son Raistlin.
He would then be Raistlin Majere!
/)^3^(\

Oh, and Lyra if it's a girl.

gyroc1

Nov 26, 2011
If I had the opportunity to do so, which I probably won't, I would come up with a human name by altering the fictional name.
So Cloud (FF7) = Claud
Dovakiin (Elderscrolls 5) = Donovan or David
Amatarasu = Amy
and so forth. I'd also attempt to mock-proof the names I come up with.

If you want, we can play a game. Come up with a weird name and I'll try to normalize it. (Is this what romanizing is?) (Ok I'm not an expert at this, but I'll try)

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
No, I would not.

I already know what I'd like to name a potential daughter, so if I do have children someday, I'd rather name them what I (and the mother) would like to.

But I know I'd end up breaking my back bending over backwards so she could name them what she likes.

rje5

Apr 27, 2011
No, just for the fact that they have to live with it, not me. I wouldn't have a problem naming my pet something like that, but not a child.

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
If it's a reasonable name I could definitely go with a reference, yeah. But I draw the line at 'Chell' for what I consider reasonable

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
The only names I ever considered for a child's name were Zoe from Left 4 Dead (but then again I liked the name Zoe before I even played L4D) and Zelda,.... from guess where. But neither of the names I picked sound particularly exotic or super crazy.

Hafnium

Jun 15, 2009
I won't have kids, but if I did it would certainly be considered. Wouldn't go with Dogmeat or something lame or obvious, it would be unnoticable for most people, like Andrew (Ryan) or Garrus.

Loner Jo Jo

Jul 22, 2011
I can't think of any names from video games that I would want to name my children after, but I don't see anything wrong with it. I always plan on naming my first son Atticus after Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird, but I think naming children after characters from books is pretty common.

But the thing about "exotic" names is I find a lot of what we consider odd now are really just old names. I know my friend is thinking about naming her daughter Imogen, which a lot of people would find weird today, but really, it's a name that was fairly common in the South a long while ago.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
I've already (kind of) done it. Tried to get my sister-in-law to give her son the middle name Soap, but that failed miserably. She settled for Price, though.

And yes, I would give my child a video game character's name if it was a good name.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
mysecondlife said:
Terminate421 said:
I'll give the next 15 posts to guess where my first son will be named from, winner gets a cookie.

His name will be Grif.

On an unrelated note: I'm also thinking of naming other sons Isaac, Carmine, or Doug.
KOTOR. Mission's loser brother's name.

Its the only Grif (or Griff) I know.
Grif from red vs. blue

It's a hilarious web show, of you have not heard of it, watch it, though you may want to start from episode 1. It's hard for new comers to jump in at this point.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
My step daughter is called Kayleigh.

The song by Marillion was playing just before she gave birth.