X-Men Destiny Review

Ponch

Mar 31, 2010
I had really high hopes for this game, but reminds me too much of Ultimate Alliance 2.
Which I did not enjoy.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Shoggoth2588 said:
Right! This one is bad. I didn't think it would be that bad but it is what it is...It's too bad there hasn't been a third Ultimate Alliance.

Say, when it's time to review Spider-Man: Edge of Time, could there be a secondary review or, second look for that one of the 3DS version? It's been next to impossible to find images or, gameplay footage of the 3DS version of that one other than shaky-cam footage on youtube of random people playing it...2 random people as of yesterday.
You can only capture footage from a DS (or 3DS) using Nintendo's own tech, which they lend out in extremely limited numbers and actually bolt to the table in your office, I kid you not. We've been "on the list" to get one for some time, but don't hold your breath.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
You can only capture footage from a DS (or 3DS) using Nintendo's own tech, which they lend out in extremely limited numbers and actually bolt to the table in your office, I kid you not. We've been "on the list" to get one for some time, but don't hold your breath.
Do you have to put up your firstborn as collateral, too? Perhaps sign a contract in an ancient tongue--with blood?

Lrbearclaw

May 19, 2009
I rented "X-Men Destiny" last night.... exchanged it 2 hours later for "Spider-Man: Edge of Time" and was VERY happy. Kinda off...X-Men have acrap game out and Spider-Man has a great one out.

Who woulda thunk?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Zachary Amaranth said:
Susan Arendt said:
Do you have to put up your firstborn as collateral, too? Perhaps sign a contract in an ancient tongue--with blood?
I've yet to figure out the magic mojo necessary. Sacrificing goats, chickens, and interns seems to have had no effect.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Susan Arendt said:
I've yet to figure out the magic mojo necessary. Sacrificing goats, chickens, and interns seems to have had no effect.
Well, that's your problem right there. Chickens won't work, you need black-feathered roosters.

Xenominim

Jan 11, 2011
You've missed the point of the game. The X-Men have been battling tyranny for 40-50 years without earning acceptance, all while dealing with messy, confusing storylines and character arcs. Here you have a game that perfectly captures that same degree of hopelessness in its gameplay augmented by confusing design decisions meant to mimic those very same plotlines. It's a perfect thematic capsule!

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
No_Remainders said:
The game sounds like a good concept done badly.

Also, why can't we pronounce "Xavier" properly?

It's pronounced "zavier", people; not "ex-avier"
That is how you pronounce his name.

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
Xenominim said:
You've missed the point of the game. The X-Men have been battling tyranny for 40-50 years without earning acceptance, all while dealing with messy, confusing storylines and character arcs. Here you have a game that perfectly captures that same degree of hopelessness in its gameplay augmented by confusing design decisions meant to mimic those very same plotlines. It's a perfect thematic capsule!
LOL

Still, sad to hear this... It could've been a great game. Maybe the publisher and or Marvel set an unrealistic timeline and even if the developers hadn't reached their goals, it was decided it was 'good enough' and shipped it?

The studios behind Saints Row or Infamous could've done a much better job. Feels like Marvel-Disney values quantity over quality on their licensed videogame .

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
And to think Silicon Knights actually made legacy of kain, a game that will always have a place in my heart.

I wish they would just let us make a new character with complete customization like the sims, and let us choose the core powers and level up with a talent tree or something.

At the moment the game is just plain bad, too cartoonish, too shallow. It really made me wonder what was their target audience. There are mature guys that grew up with comic books too. Can't they make something for us? something darker, more poetic and more mature?

Movie Bob would be piss at this game.

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
This is disappointing. I was actually hoping for a somewhat deep game with a branching storyline and strong RPG elements. Ah, well.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I gotta say that I love the video supplements. Often times I just watch those. If the game doesn't look even a little interesting, I won't bother actually reading the review. This is one of those times. I think we had games on the last console generation, and even the one before, that looked more engaging and polished.

Susan Arendt said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Susan Arendt said:
First, wow, I can't believe that Nintendo is so controlling. You have to bolt the device down? That's psycho girlfriend levels of crazy.

I do believe that you need the help of Billy Witchdoctor. Just don't let him summon Mega Ultra Chicken. That would be a heck of a mess.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
My first guess was a star and a half, and I was right. After all that anticipation many months ago, I was hoping this game would fun. That is until every reviewer I've seen so far stated that this game is a big fat lie.

What the hell, Activision and Silicon Knights? Why must you make this game so bad? Especially for $59.99, I would feel ripped off and would want to play X-Men Origins: Wolverine again. At least I had fun slicing enemies as Wolverine.

Adam Goetz

Oct 8, 2011
Aisaku said:
Xenominim said:
LOL

Still, sad to hear this... It could've been a great game. Maybe the publisher and or Marvel set an unrealistic timeline and even if the developers hadn't reached their goals, it was decided it was 'good enough' and shipped it?

The studios behind Saints Row or Infamous could've done a much better job. Feels like Marvel-Disney values quantity over quality on their licensed videogame .
I think it is more about the time than anything, but not the dev team. I think the thought was "Hey X-men are getting another movie next summer so here is your timeline it must be out by then."
The team has done good work, it is just that when you put things on a timeline they kinda die bit by bit.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Oh... my... God... seriously?, this... thing is developed by Silicon Knights?, the Silicon Kgnights that made one of my favorite games of last gen, being Eternal Darkness and also the amazing remake of Metal Gear: The Twin Snakes?. That Silicon Knights?.

I think I just died a little inside...

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
No_Remainders said:
The game sounds like a good concept done badly.

Also, why can't we pronounce "Xavier" properly?

It's pronounced "zavier", people; not "ex-avier"
Probably because they call him "Ex-Avier" in every film and cartoon ever made.