X-Men Destiny Review

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
theultimateend said:
No_Remainders said:
The game sounds like a good concept done badly.

Also, why can't we pronounce "Xavier" properly?

It's pronounced "zavier", people; not "ex-avier"
Probably because they call him "Ex-Avier" in every film and cartoon ever made.
You don't seem to realise that it's still a stupid American bastardisation of an actual name regardless.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
I've yet to figure out the magic mojo necessary. Sacrificing goats, chickens, and interns seems to have had no effect.
I wouldn't waste my time with interns. Not only do they tend to be less effective than the goats, who's left to clean up the altar?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Zachary Amaranth said:
Susan Arendt said:
I've yet to figure out the magic mojo necessary. Sacrificing goats, chickens, and interns seems to have had no effect.
I wouldn't waste my time with interns. Not only do they tend to be less effective than the goats, who's left to clean up the altar?
...oh, NOW you tell me.

Sooooo...anyone looking for an intern position at a high-profile online publisher?

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Words do not describe how disapointing this is. I mean, I already knew this was gonna be rubbish, the screens, footage, even the tremendously lazy cover art said it would be, but this was, from those stupid teaser trailers, supposed to finally be the x-men game we all wanted. Become mutant, learn to use abilities, do whatever the hell you want, get cape, wear cape, fly, and then they give us this? I mean seriously, how much do you have to be not listening to what everyone wants. It took them this long to get what kind of concept we actually wanted, and then it took them an age to get it wrong.

In fact, I'm calling it. For some reason, the makers of this game want us to be angry at them. Why? The hell if I know, but this is too much of a catastrohpic misfire to be a mistake, surely.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
No_Remainders said:

I don't know why people would think the name of Professor EX of the EX-Men would be pronounced EXavier.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Nice (or terrible, for the rest of us) to see that the voice actress from Metroid: Other M isn't alone in her endeavor to make people want to stop hearing game characters speak.

Also, did Silicon Knights pull an Ion Storm after Eternal Darkness, split into two groups, but the awesome, better half "fell down some stairs" and hasn't been seen since, but the other half has taken over it's identity? What the hell, SK? Blood Omen, Eternal Darkness, and Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes were all good--but what happened, guys?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
This game sounded awesome, and I pre-ordered it given that I was a fan of the last X-men games (which I felt were better than the "Marvel: Ultimate Alliace" games actually). The way you selected powers and such sounded like it was going to be awesome and.... this was the result. I kind of want my $60 back, but I bought the game from Amazon. :/

Ah well, usually I have decent luck in picking games, but this time was a failure. I just hope "Skyrim" isn't a disappointment.

I think 2011 will be remembered as a year with a lot of promise, and tons of awesome seeming games all slated for release, with almost all of them being mediocre in their actual delivery. This game was the first one I paid money for this year that actually blew chips, but to be honest I don't think there has been a single game that has had me going "OMG, that's awesome". "Rage", "Red Faction", "Dungeon Siege III", "Darkspore" and others have all left me going "meh" and left me thinking that they should have been more.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Could've seen this one coming. I had a problem with it all the way back when they revealed that you weren't going to make your own character, but take on one of three pre-made ones.

It's not totally necessary, but in this day and age, for a game like this that was touted to be all about choice, it seems like a step backwards not to allow you to make your own character.
Granted, that's far from this game's biggest problems but it's the one that pisses me off the most.

It's a shame too because this idea has so much potential and it's one I'd like to see explored, just with a different developer.

OrokuSaki

Nov 15, 2010
Okay, maybe I'm weird, but I really liked X-Men Destiny. I gave up on the plot 3 minutes in because I tried to compare it to the comics and said "Oh, it went the movie route of being entirely wrong. Ok.

But overall I found it amusing if slightly easy. But that just might be me. I thought Assassins Creed 2 was garbage and Arkham Asylum was dull. Maybe I'm just backwards.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I would have liked a more InFamous style game with an X-Men setting... I've really become fixated on open-world games and I would love to see more super-powered versions of that style. While I loved InFamous, I wished that there was a game with more power options...
I was looking forward to this game, but after reading the review and going with the gut feeling, I decided not to pursue this in favor of putting money on the Saints Row the 3rd pre-order. While not having super-powers, its still my money's bet for one of the best games of the year. Provided they don't change it too much from the previous games.

Voxgizer

Jan 12, 2011
Lance Axel said:
Like I've said before, Marvel should just go the Star Wars route and have BioWare make an X-Men RPG.
I think I just felt my brain tear in half over how great this could be.

OT: I didn't have high hopes for this game to begin with. I was slightly interested and that was about it; looks like that's all I'll ever be.

JoelChenFA

Play Minecraft. Watch Top Gear.
Nov 24, 2010
No_Remainders said:

Its X-men because he's Ex-zavier.
If it was Zavier, it would be ZavMen.
Also character created by American, Americans pronounce nothing right.

They Could Care less that is why.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
You know, I can ignore every single issue of this game that has been listed, except the combat. That combat just looks..Oh god, so bland.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
It's a shame we can't have a good X-men game where you create your own character, their costume and their abilities.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
No_Remainders said:
theultimateend said:
No_Remainders said:

Probably because they call him "Ex-Avier" in every film and cartoon ever made.
You don't seem to realise that it's still a stupid American bastardisation of an actual name regardless.
You don't seem to realize that nearly all names are bastardisations localizations of other names. For instance, my daughter's name is Caitlin. By your logic, I should feel ashamed that I didn't name her Catherine.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Thinking back, there is one design flaw I like to point out with solution.

Character customization.

At the moment they only allow you to pick 3 premade ones. But wouldn't it been alot better if they allow you to make your character from scratch?

Just allow us to make our own character then make us choose one of those premade character story line as a character background. It would've been much much better that way.

Rpgs with premade characters are rare these days for a reason: because player made toons are far superior where the rpg experience are concern.

Needless to say the flaws of this game are many but this one just stand out for me since the solution seems so apparent.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
Thedek said:
Yeah I think I figured out what the reviewer's problem is with the idiotic plot here. It's a freaking Mary Sue fan fiction made into a freaking video game. Only without the author self insert sexing up their favorite established character.
from what i heard that sounds right. by the reviews description the does seem to be at least a few Mary sue traits. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CommonMarySueTraits