XBL Indie Dev Clones Minecraft With FortressCraft

samwise970

May 2, 2010
A crappy, unoriginal version of minecraft that takes away the charming pixel graphics and replaces them with a load of generic hd shit, then charges you for every piece of content? Hell yes!

The3rdEye

Mar 19, 2009
Gotta love fanrage. (See below and above)

It's how the industry works people, you get a good idea, people like your good idea, other people do more with your idea. In the end that's all Minecraft is, the idea that the player can collect randomly generated resources to make shit in an open world environment. At least there is some levelheadedness to be had:
manythings said:
It's not like he invented blocks or block based gaming and, like the article said, Infiniminer inspired minecraft.
What would have been the point of bitching when there was Wolfenstein 3D and Doom, which spawned Hexen and Quake, which spawned...

You can't copyright ideas, and honestly that's all Minecraft is, so be glad it's being picked up by other people rather than just fizzling out after everyone has run out of personal projects du jour.

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
RAGE!RAGE!MINECRAFT!MINECRAFT!RAGE?MINECRAFT!

Some of the reactions here are really laughable. One game ripping off another, successful, one? Unheard of in gaming industry!

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
no, thank you, i dont care if its just "based off", and "INFINIMINER" was nowere near minecraft, you could say they are two completelly different games

i think this game is latching into the fame of MC, and trying to sell a rather slim version of it, considering it will be sold in chapters i can only laugh at the attempt before i move on to something else.

EDIT: oh! right, i forgot something

*ejem* *cough* hahahahahaha *moves on*

Lance Arrow

Apr 7, 2010
Karilas said:
Kayar13 said:
Oh, come on Goldman. Minecraft fans should look FORWARD to someone ripping off the game we already love? They're just jumping on the Minecraft bandwagon for the money. I suppose you'd support Microsoft making a game titled "Legend of Belda" in which a pointy-eared kid in a green tunic slew a pig and saved a princess and found four golden glowing squares of power too, right? This greed in the industry is exactly what we should be ignoring and not buying into. Indie developers should focus on making new, creative, innovative game experiences like Notch already did with Minecraft, not blatantly copying each other for profit.
Yeah, but if Legend of Belda turned out to be a really good game, with fluid, intuitive controls and brilliantly designed dungeons, would it not be completely retarded to dismiss such a game just because it was a Zelda knockoff?

Aiish.

Also, go and have a look at the inspiration for minecraft before you decide Notch has the monopoly on creativity.

[a href="http://thesiteformerlyknownas.zachtronicsindustries.com/?p=713" popup=1]Infiniminer[/a]
Listen to this man, people. Be a hedonist when it comes to these things. If this game turns out to be good fun, why would you have to miss out on it?

In any case, play it before you hate it. It's only $1 anyway.

samwise970

May 2, 2010
The3rdEye said:
Gotta love fanrage. (See below and above)

It's how the industry works people, you get a good idea, people like your good idea, other people do more with your idea. In the end that's all Minecraft is, the idea that the player can collect randomly generated resources to make shit in an open world environment. At least there is some levelheadedness to be had:
manythings said:
It's not like he invented blocks or block based gaming and, like the article said, Infiniminer inspired minecraft.
What would have been the point of bitching when there was Wolfenstein 3D and Doom, which spawned Hexen and Quake, which spawned...

You can't copyright ideas, and honestly that's all Minecraft is, so be glad it's being picked up by other people rather than just fizzling out after everyone has run out of personal projects du jour.
Sooo many things wrong in here.

First of all, Infiniminer inspired minecraft, yes. But minecraft took the very basic formula and expanded on it in a hundred ways. This is simply taking those ideas from minecraft, and charging us for each one, without really adding anything new.

And yes, you CAN copyright ideas. Thats what a copyright is. By definition.

And Hexen and Quake were made by id (well Hexen was developed by raven but published by id), so why would anyone be pissed at id for 'copying' their OWN games?! Not to mention that Quake was FAR from a Doom copy, the technical advancements that came with the Quake engine were nothing short of groundbreaking.

No, Notch did not invent the idea of this kind of sandbox, nor does he own a copyright of it. This Fortress craft game isn't illegal, but by so far adding nothing original to the mix, this is a lazy copy of a better game, and people should not accept that.

slipknot4

Feb 19, 2009
Ehrm... looks like a flop imo.
And whats up with those graphics? If they are going clone MC, why not do it right at least... Sheesh.

Aug 26, 2008
GLo Jones said:
Wow, the amount of illogical anger and ignorance here is ridiculous.

This game has done nothing to Minecraft that Minecraft didn't do to Infiniminer.

Notch didn't do anything original with Minecraft, he simply reworked an already old formula, exactly as has been done here. I personally look forward to being able to play something like this on console.
It is different though isnt it? After all Infiniminer stopped being developed a month after it's release. So it made sense that someone picked it up and made a better version. What Microsoft is doing is a cheap shitty cash in that hopefully nobody will buy.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
As someone who can barely get their head around modern microsoft word's needlessly complex set up (or at least I think it's word) I welcome a minecraft substitute that I won't run into any computer issues with. I have already invested in a kind of Ipod version with "eden world builder" which is pretty enjoyable but lacks the enemies or resource gathering something which many people say makes up half the appeal.

Gotta say though, love the action movie music for the trailer. I can imagine the overly masculine announcer "Minecraft, now on your xbox! Awesome! Now you can mine for stuff and build stuff with an extra manly control pad! YEAH!"

Any word on exactly when this will be coming out? I'm ashamed to say I lack even the microsoft points for one chapter.

thegermanguy

Jul 17, 2009
well, I hope sues the guys who made this game.
I mean, it is not a game that took some elements from the original game and made something new out of it (like minecraft did with infiniminer or whatever its called), it's an obvious clone.

It may be great for people who can't play minecraft, but come on!

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
BrokenBoySoldier said:
Can anyone say breach of copyright?
The lawsuits that will accompany this particular game will be quite interesting to see.

I suspect that this could get fun and nasty!

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
Am I the only one who dislikes the graphics in this? They don't fit the blocky nature of the world at all..

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
henritje said:
if MC was Copyright notched could sue their asses!
this is just a MC ripoff and nothing more!
also MC,s relativly bad graphics gave it charm this just looks too realistic
Minecraft is copyrighted to notch.
It is under name "MoJang AB" ...
But I don't think he going to sue, he has made hes millions already and I am sure since hes idea wasn't original either (Just the execution was) he will be content to see what others can do. I know for sure that the people buying that game knows what minecraft is and will accept the fact that this is copy of it.

noble cookie

Aug 6, 2010
InsanityBaronOfAtrocity said:
What Microsoft is doing is a cheap shitty cash in that hopefully nobody will buy.
If one more person says that Microsoft is doing it i will emit rage from every orifice.
It is being made by an indie developer who apparently has done some good stuff before.

Samechiel

Nov 4, 2009
Any word on exactly when this will be coming out? I'm ashamed to say I lack even the microsoft points for one chapter.
Rumor is Chapter One should hit LIVE around March 4th. Chapter Two, which will put FC about on par with Minecraft in terms of content, will come out four to six weeks after that.

You've got plenty of time to scrape together 80 MSP. :)

Drentics

Apr 3, 2010
I think clone is a good word to describe this thing.

Legal or not, this is completely tasteless.

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
I swear to God, gamers are the worst consumers in history.

You people do realize that competition in the industry is a good thing?
The more competition, the better.
If there is a "rip-off" that's serious competition to Minecraft, Notch will have to make Minecraft even better to survive.
So no matter which game you favor, thanks to competition it will get better.
This goes for everything, since when are monopolies a good thing (for the consumer)?

The fervor with which gamers defend the maker of their console, their favorite dev, publisher and whatnot... did you all miss basic education [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_education]?