Xbone Week #3

Oskuro

Nov 18, 2009
Hmmm, that last panel reminds me of something....

Is gaming coming full circle?

(That's all the relevance I could muster out of an Xbone related topic....)

Dec 14, 2009
Man, I can't wait until the season finale of Halo, where some guy shoots some guys in the face.

It's going to be awesome.

UrinalDook

Jan 7, 2013
Sometimes, Grey, I have to wonder if you actually know your audience at all. I know that the Escapist likes to pride itself as something of a hangout for more 'high brow' gamers, but I'm sure there's still a lot of posters and visitors here who, like me, are big fans of Halo, for it's setting and universe as much as its solid gameplay.

I was fully expecting the Forward Unto Dawn web mini series to be crap, but found myself enjoying it quite a bit. Because of that, and the Neil Blomkamp directed shorts advertising Halo 3, the Halo TV series was pretty much the only thing in the Xbone reveal that caught my attention. I know I'm not alone. Done right, there's a lot of potential in it. And with no Star Trek, BSG, SG-1, Firefly or Farscape anymore and none of these rumoured Star Wars shows materialising any time soon, aren't we kind of crying out for a new action-y sci-fi show on TV?

Don't get me wrong, I love Critcal Miss and this still got a laugh out of me. Kind of felt like a bit of a cheap laugh, though. Taking the mick out of Halo feels a little harsh when there's so much juicer material in the Xbone's reveal.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Man, I can't wait until the season finale of Halo, where some guy shoots some guys in the face.

It's going to be awesome.
Until...

[HEADING=1]SHOCKING PLOT TWIST[/HEADING]

They're not shooting. They're stabbing them with the sword instead!

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
UrinalDook said:
Sometimes, Grey, I have to wonder if you actually know your audience at all. I know that the Escapist likes to pride itself as something of a hangout for more 'high brow' gamers, but I'm sure there's still a lot of posters and visitors here who, like me, are big fans of Halo, for it's setting and universe as much as its solid gameplay.

I was fully expecting the Forward Unto Dawn web mini series to be crap, but found myself enjoying it quite a bit. Because of that, and the Neil Blomkamp directed shorts advertising Halo 3, the Halo TV series was pretty much the only thing in the Xbone reveal that caught my attention. I know I'm not alone. Done right, there's a lot of potential in it. And with no Star Trek, BSG, SG-1, Firefly or Farscape anymore and none of these rumoured Star Wars shows materialising any time soon, aren't we kind of crying out for a new action-y sci-fi show on TV?

Don't get me wrong, I love Critcal Miss and this still got a laugh out of me. Kind of felt like a bit of a cheap laugh, though. Taking the mick out of Halo feels a little harsh when there's so much juicer material in the Xbone's reveal.
Just because some people like a thing, does not mean that thing is exempt from mockery. Grey could himself be a fan of Halo and still perfectly able to take the piss out of it; I take the piss out of things I like all the time. I'm not sure this really translates into a failure to know/understand the audience.

You could well be right that there's juicier stuff to skewer from the Xbone's reveal than this, but that could well be why we're getting a full week of Critical Miss - so that they can cover all they wish to cover, with that leaving space for some Halo mockery. I just think you're taking it a little personally when really if Halo is as good as you think, it shouldn't need defending?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Hmmm...soft target there. Not that you shouldn't make fun of Halo, but not really a masterful joke this time.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
So far we had Halo books, a anime-shortmovies-collection (Halo Legends), a short Halo live-action internet-series for Halo 4 and "Red VS Blue" just announced their 11th Season (granted, RvB is not canon for Halo, but still worth mentioning in this case)
Is a full Live-Action TV-Show really that far of a stretch? Don't think so.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
CrazyGirl17 said:
Meh, I'm more of a fan of Red VS Blue than I am a fan of Halo...
Sad thing is that's the same for me. I just like the characters so much more than Master Chief. Plus, how could one hate characters like Caboose? Well, maybe if you were on his team or were a baby perhaps.

OT: Ah nothing like taking the piss out of a favorite franchise of many. Can't wait to read the the one.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
I'm sorry, but it's a pretty weak joke when the game already beat you to it.

"I thought I'd shoot my way out. Mix things up a little."
-Master Chief

UrinalDook

Jan 7, 2013
Teoes said:
Just because some people like a thing, does not mean that thing is exempt from mockery. Grey could himself be a fan of Halo and still perfectly able to take the piss out of it; I take the piss out of things I like all the time. I'm not sure this really translates into a failure to know/understand the audience.

You could well be right that there's juicier stuff to skewer from the Xbone's reveal than this, but that could well be why we're getting a full week of Critical Miss - so that they can cover all they wish to cover, with that leaving space for some Halo mockery. I just think you're taking it a little personally when really if Halo is as good as you think, it shouldn't need defending?
No, that's fair. I probably do seem a little too defensive, and it's not really my intent. Like I said, I still laughed at this strip. I have no problem taking the piss. But at the same time, no one likes to feel belittled for liking something, you know? It's a fine line between snark and condescension. The Escapist is an undeniably geeky community, and sometimes it's nice to know that the people behind it are able to suspend pride and, to an extent, 'integrity' long enough to actually enjoy a bit of a geek out that potentially enters that dreaded 'mainstream'.

I appreciate Critical Miss is probably not the place to look for that, but still.

I don't really think Grey has issues identifying the target of his material, but it made for a bold opening statement, no? It was meant as something like a more verbose eyeroll; "taking the mick out of Halo, how original". I'd have made a crack about 'low hanging fruit', but people have already done that in the past and Grey and Cory skewered them in return. I'd hate to be accused of dragging a gag out.

Captcha: Sonic Srewdriver. Gee, thanks captcha. Reminding me of the one 'sci-fi' show on TV and how bloody awful its got. Seriously, does it even matter at this point if its Halo flavoured? WE NEED MORE ALIEN SHOOTING SCI-FI ON TV!

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
CrazyGirl17 said:
Meh, I'm more of a fan of Red VS Blue than I am a fan of Halo...
Agreed. Halo has always seem meh to me. RvB is funny, most of the time and far more entertaining.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
Just shows how much of a joke the Xbone really is. Instead of announcing a new Halo game they announce a Halo TV-show. Maybe the fans wanted that, but still, normally it seems like they would have announced a game.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
TBH thats probably the best videogame to TV adaptation if they actually did what you suggested in the panel :p

Add in some First Person perspective shooting = Awesome. Shoot its the only reason i saw the DOOM movie XD

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Ronack said:
YOU LIE. Wasn't there also a fishing game? I seem to recall there being a fishing game with spectacular A.I. ...
You mean the advanced A.I. system that has fish [HEADING=1]move out of the way[/HEADING] when you swim close to them?

OMG next gen!