Xbox 720 is another iPhone 4S!!

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Wolfram01 said:
Ah... a 6670. Good to see them stepping up to the plate...

That means my CF 5850s will only be about 6x more powerful.

Also, as for "better hardware will drive up production costs" I actually think that's totally wrong. Studios have to spend a LOT of time and resources on optimizing for a console. Yes, they can squeeze a lot of performance out of it because they have low level access, but all that tweaking takes time. Lots and lots of time. Higher end hardware = less tweaking needed to get the same experience, and any time available for tweaking is just gravy sauce.
um. No. Do some research.

"It took between $5 to $10 million to develop a PS2 game versus $800,000 to $1.7 million for the original PlayStation." -[a href="http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Video_game_costs"]Source[/a]

"dev costs have probably doubled or tripled in the console transition.? -[a href="http://www.develop-online.net/news/33625/Study-Average-dev-cost-as-high-as-28m"]Link[/a]

Bottom line is that new system entail a higher price tag on development. One of the biggest time (and therefore money) sinks is HD graphics. As the expected visual resolution increases, so does the cost to make the game.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Krantos said:
Wolfram01 said:
Ah... a 6670. Good to see them stepping up to the plate...

That means my CF 5850s will only be about 6x more powerful.

Also, as for "better hardware will drive up production costs" I actually think that's totally wrong. Studios have to spend a LOT of time and resources on optimizing for a console. Yes, they can squeeze a lot of performance out of it because they have low level access, but all that tweaking takes time. Lots and lots of time. Higher end hardware = less tweaking needed to get the same experience, and any time available for tweaking is just gravy sauce.
um. No. Do some research.

"It took between $5 to $10 million to develop a PS2 game versus $800,000 to $1.7 million for the original PlayStation." -[a href="http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Video_game_costs"]Source[/a]

"dev costs have probably doubled or tripled in the console transition.? -[a href="http://www.develop-online.net/news/33625/Study-Average-dev-cost-as-high-as-28m"]Link[/a]

Bottom line is that new system entail a higher price tag on development. One of the biggest time (and therefore money) sinks is HD graphics. As the expected visual resolution increases, so does the cost to make the game.
PS1 to PS2 was a huge step and everything had to be started over from scratch. This console jump is not a big deal. Yeah, there's more horsepower in the system, but they already make PC ports for high end hardware. It's not really much different from that, except their bottom line has gone up which means less screwing around taking shit out so that it doesn't run at 4 frames per second.

It's not like they need to increase the size and scope of games, or create new graphic engines like they did before. I'd be surprised to find out budgets change at all. And let's not forget that modern games are also throwing a ton of money at advertising and DRM schemes.

Also, I'm not going to do research because that's, like, my opinion, man.*

*lol

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
boag said:
after the launch of the 360, I cant put enough trust in console makers to make a machine that is out the door without problems on their first edition.
Or their third edition since the Xbox 360 Elite had all the same problems as the launch ones.
I have never had a problem with mine even after I left it on for a week by accident.

OT:I think they should wait, I'll be happy with my Xbox for a while yet.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Echer123 said:
That's good, it means PC gamers won't have to do too much upgrading for multiplatform releases.
Or...any at all. As you can build a machine with a better card for what I can imagine is cheaper than the 720 will be, right now.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Joshimodo said:
lacktheknack said:
Joshimodo said:
lacktheknack said:
Um, midrange tech from several months ago can still do anti-aliased 1080p. What's the problem here?
Not universally. Most recent mid-high end titles (BF3, Skyrim etc.) won't even hit 40+FPS on that when on high settings.

My 5870 is significantly better, and that's getting on in hardware age. They would be better off using either a better 6-series or 5-series.
You forget that consoles do miraculous things with their hardware due to specialization. Don't forget that Skyrim is running on mid-upper range specs from 2005...
Skyrim is very well optimised and not really that visually special (in regards to fidelity - It's a triumph of design). Plus, it's running on 720, not 1080, and has no AA/ASF on consoles, and seems to be at less than 60FPS.
...Running on 2005 hardware. If it was equally compatible and took equal advantage of the next Xbox's hardware, it would run at 1080 with features effortlessly.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Purtabo said:
viranimus said:
Perhaps if people had shown a little restraint instead of bellowing out new console generation before the current one had hit 4 years, the developers would not have been in such a rush to get new hardware, and thus have to pick from what is still in essence last generation parts.
sorry, four years? have you been living in the year 2010? it's been six years since the 360 launched; the technology has grown exponentially, if we just keep waiting for tomorrow tomorrow, we'll be stuck in the past
/facepalm.

Ok, You completely misread that. Four years as in people were crying out for a new console generation when the current one was not even 4 years old yet. It was about 2009/10 that you started seeing the first sizable collective of people agree that a new generation was in order. Though arguably you could claim it happened in as little as 1 year considering Crysis was released in 2007 and that was about the time the first bit of bellyaching regarding the consoles power started.

The technology most certainly has not increased exponentially. Its increased incrementally and those increments have been surprisingly small all things considered.

Oblivion:
2ghz single core
1gb system ram
128 VC ram

Skyrim

2ghz dual core
2gb system ram
512mb VC ram.

So... processor + System ram is doubled, and the VC ram is quadrupled in a span of 6 years. Thats about as far from exponential increase as you can get, and really thats a pretty light increase considering thats a swath of 6 years. Exponential would represent greater increases than that per year. Yes we have had more sizable hardware increases, but just as is seen with PCs just because you can have hardware that exceeds the system specs of a game, does not mean that game is going to utilize any more of those resources. If were not using it on PCs... then it is insane to think we need the same equivalent on a console knowing full well the consoles dont have to run a proprietary OS that instantaneously eats resourses, and can better utilize every element of the hardware than a PC will ever be capable of.
Ive really got to ask, what is all this about really? I mean it just cannot be as simple as it seems. Cause honestly, this whole "WE NEED A NEW CONSOLE GENERATION" talk really REALLY sounds like Hardcore FPS fanboys getting uncomfortable because they think if they do not have bleeding edge graphics to wow n00bs and the uninitiated people might realize just how shallow, uninteresting and practically devoid of innovation the competitive multiplayer shooter genre actually is today. I really do not want to think that, but really what other genre of game seems so singularly focused on increasing visual fidelity?

Oddly enough the Competitive online FPS genre is the one that least needs higher graphical fidelity. Seriously, if you have time in between dodging suppressive fire and snipers to get offended over such inane distinctions as seen here...

in a gametype that is supposed to be focused in twitch gaming and surviving other people trying to "kill" you then youve seriously got bigger problems than what a new console generation could ever hope to fix.

Jimbo1212

Aug 13, 2009
LilithSlave said:
Jimbo1212 said:
Also, who wants flamboyant colouring besides little girls? Clearly not the main market which is 14-26 year old guys.
Everyone who bought Super Mario Galaxy. Which is over 8 million. And Mario Kart Wii sold several times as much as Skyrim.

Super Mario Galaxy sold about 1 million more copies more than Skyrim has. And Mario Kart Wii sold over 4 times the amount. And Skyrim is one of the best selling games of all time.

And sorry, I could really just care less about graphics for the sake of graphics.
Again, I say you need to ask yourself and be honest as to why you and those people play those games.
New graphics & power can create new game mechanics, game features, and become incredibly immersive. To ignore this is to be ignorant at gaming potential.

Popeman said:
Jimbo1212 said:
Popeman said:
Jimbo1212 said:
Popeman said:
I think the current X box looks fine so whatever.
Really?
People said that about Doom, then Halo, and Halo 4...when you could be having this (actual in game footage):

Now tell me what gamer does not want that OR better?
I simply don't care. Great you are driving the industry I just can't find myself to care. My favorite games of all time are less graphically demanding then half life 2.
Well I think you need to ask yourself then why are you playing those games. I have a feeling nostalgia might crop up in your answer.
No I just have more fun. Why is that so hard to believe? My favorite games are older games. Big deal. Hell my favorite game of this year didn't use half of what a PS3 could do graphically.

Edit. Wow I just noticed I use way to many periods.
I like the part in your answer where you avoid answering my question and give no explanation besides " 'cause!".

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
Remember that old thread that said there aren't a lot of PC elitists on the escapists? I wonder if they've seen this thread?

OT:
Here's what I wanna know. What games are going to come out for it? I mean, I remember when the PS3 was set to release and they'd tease us with glimpses of new games such as Oblivion or metal gear solid 4 WAY before it was coming out. So if everyone is clamouring for a new console, What games are going to come out for it?

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Joshimodo said:
lacktheknack said:
Joshimodo said:
lacktheknack said:
Um, midrange tech from several months ago can still do anti-aliased 1080p. What's the problem here?
Not universally. Most recent mid-high end titles (BF3, Skyrim etc.) won't even hit 40+FPS on that when on high settings.

My 5870 is significantly better, and that's getting on in hardware age. They would be better off using either a better 6-series or 5-series.
You forget that consoles do miraculous things with their hardware due to specialization. Don't forget that Skyrim is running on mid-upper range specs from 2005...
Skyrim is very well optimised and not really that visually special (in regards to fidelity - It's a triumph of design). Plus, it's running on 720, not 1080, and has no AA/ASF on consoles, and seems to be at less than 60FPS.
...Running on 2005 hardware. If it was equally compatible and took equal advantage of the next Xbox's hardware, it would run at 1080 with features effortlessly.
Running on modified version of an archaic engine.

Take an actual modern game (I.E: BF3), and you see it chug. Yes, it's running, but it's scaled back in every way. Using an already outdated card before the console even hits proper development is ridiculous. Instead of bringing things up to date and allowing for an extended lifespan and for the game developers to have some breathing room, it'll be a very slight step up from what we already have, quality wise.

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
Jimbo1212 said:
LilithSlave said:
Jimbo1212 said:
Also, who wants flamboyant colouring besides little girls? Clearly not the main market which is 14-26 year old guys.
Everyone who bought Super Mario Galaxy. Which is over 8 million. And Mario Kart Wii sold several times as much as Skyrim.

Super Mario Galaxy sold about 1 million more copies more than Skyrim has. And Mario Kart Wii sold over 4 times the amount. And Skyrim is one of the best selling games of all time.

And sorry, I could really just care less about graphics for the sake of graphics.
Again, I say you need to ask yourself and be honest as to why you and those people play those games.
Because they have good gameplay, have amazing scenery, are very colourful and are a whole lot of fun? That thing people feel when they punched out aliens in halo or play guitar hero with friends or get into a shoot out with super mutants in fallout and in general, when playing a fairly good game?
Jimbo1212 said:
Popeman said:
Jimbo1212 said:
Popeman said:
Jimbo1212 said:
Popeman said:
Really?
People said that about Doom, then Halo, and Halo 4...when you could be having this (actual in game footage):

I simply don't care. Great you are driving the industry I just can't find myself to care. My favorite games of all time are less graphically demanding then half life 2.
Well I think you need to ask yourself then why are you playing those games. I have a feeling nostalgia might crop up in your answer.
No I just have more fun. Why is that so hard to believe? My favorite games are older games. Big deal. Hell my favorite game of this year didn't use half of what a PS3 could do graphically.

I like the part in your answer where you avoid answering my question and give no explanation besides " 'cause!".
I like that you ignored his answer. It isn't pure nostalgia. He already said it's because it's fun. And some people's definition of fun differs from one another, so what?
And really? The nostalgia cop out? Nostalgia can ADD to the fun but I've played old games I liked as a kid and found them dull save for a few gems . It doesn't matter. If a game is fun to a person, then it shouldn't matter to anyone but that person.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
I understood nothing of this specs- talk... But in my opinion we already have perfect graphics and games that run well on Xbox 360, so couldn't we jsut finally focus on things like narrative, awesome mechanics and shit like that?

Jimbo1212

Aug 13, 2009
M0rp43vs said:
Jimbo1212 said:
LilithSlave said:
Jimbo1212 said:

Because they have good gameplay, have amazing scenery, are very colourful and are a whole lot of fun? That thing people feel when they punched out aliens in halo or play guitar hero with friends or get into a shoot out with super mutants in fallout and in general, when playing a fairly good game?
Jimbo1212 said:
Popeman said:
Jimbo1212 said:
Popeman said:
Jimbo1212 said:
Popeman said:
Really?

I like that you ignored his answer. It isn't pure nostalgia. He already said it's because it's fun. And some people's definition of fun differs from one another, so what?
And really? The nostalgia cop out? Nostalgia can ADD to the fun but I've played old games I liked as a kid and found them dull save for a few gems . It doesn't matter. If a game is fun to a person, then it shouldn't matter to anyone but that person.
Damn this forum needs a facepalm smiley.

Their gameplay is poor compared to modern Indie platform games.
The scenery is horrible and dated.
Very colourful? Why is that a good thing?
That thing people feel? What? Sorry, either get a dictionary or give up as I need actually adjectives.

As for his answer; "it is fun" is not an explanation and is intrinsic. You don't play a game because it is boring. Now explaining why it is fun is an answer.

No - nostalgia does not make a game more fun. It merely makes it nostalgic. Again, if you don't see how they differ then just google a free dictionary.
When we are discussing graphics and what makes a game fun, it really does matter why he finds it fun.

OniaPL said:
I understood nothing of this specs- talk... But in my opinion we already have perfect graphics and games that run well on Xbox 360, so couldn't we jsut finally focus on things like narrative, awesome mechanics and shit like that?
....and you sir need to see what modern graphics look like as the 360 and PS3 look like garbage.

viranimus said:
Purtabo said:
viranimus said:
Perhaps if people had shown a little restraint instead of bellowing out new console generation before the current one had hit 4 years, the developers would not have been in such a rush to get new hardware, and thus have to pick from what is still in essence last generation parts.
sorry, four years? have you been living in the year 2010? it's been six years since the 360 launched; the technology has grown exponentially, if we just keep waiting for tomorrow tomorrow, we'll be stuck in the past
/facepalm.

Ok, You completely misread that. Four years as in people were crying out for a new console generation when the current one was not even 4 years old yet. It was about 2009/10 that you started seeing the first sizable collective of people agree that a new generation was in order. Though arguably you could claim it happened in as little as 1 year considering Crysis was released in 2007 and that was about the time the first bit of bellyaching regarding the consoles power started.

The technology most certainly has not increased exponentially. Its increased incrementally and those increments have been surprisingly small all things considered.

Oblivion:
2ghz single core
1gb system ram
128 VC ram

Skyrim

2ghz dual core
2gb system ram
512mb VC ram.

So... processor + System ram is doubled, and the VC ram is quadrupled in a span of 6 years. Thats about as far from exponential increase as you can get, and really thats a pretty light increase considering thats a swath of 6 years. Exponential would represent greater increases than that per year. Yes we have had more sizable hardware increases, but just as is seen with PCs just because you can have hardware that exceeds the system specs of a game, does not mean that game is going to utilize any more of those resources. If were not using it on PCs... then it is insane to think we need the same equivalent on a console knowing full well the consoles dont have to run a proprietary OS that instantaneously eats resourses, and can better utilize every element of the hardware than a PC will ever be capable of.
Ive really got to ask, what is all this about really? I mean it just cannot be as simple as it seems. Cause honestly, this whole "WE NEED A NEW CONSOLE GENERATION" talk really REALLY sounds like Hardcore FPS fanboys getting uncomfortable because they think if they do not have bleeding edge graphics to wow n00bs and the uninitiated people might realize just how shallow, uninteresting and practically devoid of innovation the competitive multiplayer shooter genre actually is today. I really do not want to think that, but really what other genre of game seems so singularly focused on increasing visual fidelity?

Oddly enough the Competitive online FPS genre is the one that least needs higher graphical fidelity. Seriously, if you have time in between dodging suppressive fire and snipers to get offended over such inane distinctions as seen here...

in a gametype that is supposed to be focused in twitch gaming and surviving other people trying to "kill" you then youve seriously got bigger problems than what a new console generation could ever hope to fix.
Ooh, sorry but you could not be more wrong.

CPU and GPU power has doubled each year per year since they were made.
HOWEVER, because 99% of games nowadays are multi-platform and have lazy devs, the games released on PC are always low spec. This is why many people were pissed off at the awful optimisation of Skyrim as their beastly rigs should have been hitting 100+ fps on full, yet struggled to hit 30 due to terrible coding from Bethesda.

If state of the art hardware was taken and put into a console, that would be immensely powerful and be rending near photorealistic graphics and this would mean the games would also be optimised for PC's better as they would push for DX11 and higher.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Zeh Don said:
This is why you fail to grasp anything and why you're making a fool of yourself: my PC has to run everything while my 360 only has to run games.
There is no bloated OS, background tasks, Digitial Distribution services, DRM, driver issues, or whatever other bullshit publishers and developers deem necessary to straddle the PC Platform with (we're running AAA games in browsers now?).
The Xbox 360 hardware stretched further than comparable PC hardware by a solid seven years fucking years. This is why the industry shifted to the consoles - there's more money to be made, less fucking around in terms of making it, and you don't have to accommodate that kid who didn't upgrade their machine last year. You just make your game and sell it.
-Bloated OS: More HD useage, 0.5% of my CPU useage, 1Gb RAM useage and 0% GPU useage (That is what my GPU monitor is telling me). So... A little extra CPU and RAM useage. Sure, more RAM than a console has in total, but RAM is the cheapest piece of PC equipment out there. 12Gb for $50. That 1Gb is nothing.
-Digital Distribution services: What, like XBL and PSN? Umm. You're point is?
-DRM: Yes, 'cause Skyrim had intense DRM that I can't play the game with. The worst DRM is often on the worst console ports. It is a problem of devs frankly not giving a shit nor knowing anything about the PC market. Out of all my games, most of them have the only form of DRM as Steam - similar to XBL or PSN - or please insert your disk. Most of the exceptions have an 'offline mode' after first install, and few games are as draconic and stupid as Ubisoft's.
-Driver issues: Never had one. Keep it up to date, and there is a 1 in a million chance you'll get one. Besides, there are plenty of stories about PS/Xbx firmware updates breaking consoles for people too.
-Browsers: We are not playing them in browsers, we are launching them off browsers. What is sad is that consoles still launch primarily off CD/DVD or bluray. HDDs are much faster, and SSDs are even better still. Browsers are a streamlined way to launch a game on slow PCs: You don't have to wait for the whole game to loadup and run and then make your way through menus to get anything done. You just load up a browser, make a few selections, then boot straight into that selection.
The Xbox 360 hardware stretched further than comparable PC hardware by a solid seven years fucking years. This is why the industry shifted to the consoles - there's more money to be made, less fucking around in terms of making it, and you don't have to accommodate that kid who didn't upgrade their machine last year. You just make your game and sell it.
Comparable PC hardware? Or Compatible PC hardware for its time? My PC from seven years back ran BF3 at a mix of Ultra (Textures) High and Medium settings (Medium for most, High for about 2). It cost me $1000 AU, buying from Australia. Hardware prices have gone down, and I could get a rig with more power than a XB720 or W/E for a comparable rate, especially when game pricing s are taken into account.
Yes, a PC with console specs would fail. That's why PCs have good specs.
Might I also point out that PC games are, by default, better than console games. Higher native resolution than most, and extra post processing effects added in by the GPU itself mean even a PC game on lowest settings will often look better than a console game. And when it doesn't, you just broke you're "and you don't have to accommodate that kid who didn't upgrade their machine last year" argument, as apparently they still are. Take into account also wider FoV, longer view distances, higher FPS - you're seven year console/PC gap is based off console settings compared to highest settings. If you want Raw FPS, I could quite easily put on a game like Skyrim on lowest settings and get 250+FPS. That's more than seven times a 30FPS console.
The industry shifted to consoles because they sold well to the general public. They were a 'cool' and cheap way to game. Now that is becoming less true. If you know what you're doing, or know someone who knows what they're doing, you can get a PC for a comparable price to a console that will run games far better than it, with games that can be bought for a cheaper price, and the option to cheaply upgrade the PC modularly instead of buying an entirely new model. MS and Sony are going to keep pushing their consoles to the public though, as they don't know any better. After seeing what my PC can do now, and hearing about how little comparatively it cost me, people I know are starting to ask me to design rigs for them that will get them max settings in most games for a cheap price. Know what? Even going Nvidia and Intel, the two more expensive options, I have not yet designed one rig over $1200 - at that high because I used SLI graphics as opposed to just moving up to a better chip for better cost efficiency.
And the whole 'and you don't have to accommodate that kid who didn't upgrade their machine last year' argument is entirely bull. In fact, you are ONLY catering to the kid who didn't upgrade his machine last year by designing for console.

Cronq said:
Here is why you are absolutely and utterly wrong: [words]
Basically everything you said was wrong. Not only was it poorly informed and thus incorrect, it was poorly worded and made little to no sense. You're grasping at concepts you clearly fail to comprehend.

Firstly: games are made for consoles. So, you're expensive PC hardware is used... to run console ports. Or MMOs, where the graphical presentation is the equivalent to an iPhone game. Or Facebook games, but I don't think you're that far down the food chain, so I'll leave it there. The biggest games of the year were all console games, champ.

Secondly: due to the fact that developers get more out of a console in terms of sheer performance and performance value, the comparable PC hardware required to run console titles is around the 400-600% mark. So, if your current PC hardware is twice as powerful in terms of performance as the Xbox 360 (you get 60FPS in Battlefield 3 at Max settings, 60 FPS in Skyrim at max settings, etc.) you'll need to upgrade your current PC hardware to around four times it's current power to even run the next generation of games that the consoles usher in.[/quote]
Firstly: BF3. Designed for PC, not an MMO with Iphone graphics, nor a facebook game. Shogun 2: Total War. Try getting a console to run a 20000 soldier battle with the graphics in that game and a comparable framerate. Crysis 1. Better graphics on everything by default, not even including graphical options. Might I also point out Blizzard would like a word with you. SC2's graphics weren't bad, and a console couldn't run them on max settings (My friend tried with an equivilent card. <10FPS).

Secondly: Wrong. You are comparing below lowest settings to highest settings. Show me an Xbox that runs BF3 at max settings, then I'll give your comparison some credence. Until then, wrong due to an uneven comparison. There will be no need for new hardware to play games that the 720 will run, only to deal with the increased PC advanced offering even higher graphical fidelity than we have now, with more effects and more everything.

Cronq said:
But at least you have your friendly $300 price point and motion controllers.
AU$600.00 once every seven years. Grants me access to every major game released, exactly as it was designed and intended.
AU$3,000.00 once every year (AU$21,000.00 every seven years). Grants me access to... the same games. And driver issues, hardware compatibility issues, online only DRMs, etc.[/quote]
$3000.00AU? You were MAJORLY ripped off. I am not even joking here, if you paid that for your rig, shoot yourself. That is like paying 2,000 for a 360. That is just... Wow. Whoever sold you that, never go back there. Ever.
Also note: Not the same games. The same gameplay wise, but smoother play thanks to higher FPS, better looking thanks to better graphics, and faster loading thanks to the HDD/SSD you are using. Not to mention cheaper by $10. Per game. 10 games, that's an extra $100 for using a console.
Also note, a PC isn't like a console. You don't need a new one every 7 years. Lets just pretend you did buy your PC for $3,000.00. Know what you need to spend every seven years from now on to upgrade it? $250 max, if you're going for high end. This is what consoles cause, low system requirements and slow advancement end with PC gamers getting cheap upgrades by only buying a graphics card every seven years. Hell, sometimes you don't need a graphics card even. These days, not even the full 4 cores of most modern CPUs are being used by most programs. Rather than upgrade CPU, you just wait for them to figure out that there are 4 cores being used these days. If they don't, then you don't need to upgrade either as nothing more is going to be being used. And this is for max settings BTW. Lower settings, no need for an upgrade at all.

By listing Motion Controls, you're showing your bias. If you think consoles are for the "weaker gamers" ask yourself: what games are you currently playing?

My Quad Core, 4gb DDR2 and ATI Radeon 5770 1gb system is able to run every game on the market on max settings, no questions asked. It's three years old - save for the card. Skyrim, LOTRO, Deus Ex: HR, Terraria, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Quake Live - handles everything and anything without a problem.

My Xbox 360 runs everything else I care to play - Dark Souls, Super Street Fighter IV, Halo Reach, Mass Effect 1/2, Gears of War, Alan Wake, XBLA titles, etc.
The motion controls argument is old and stupid, and I'll agree with you there. You're handheld controllers though are less precise than KB+M, so we've got you there.

What's the problem, elitist? Worried your 1337 Rig won't get you the "cred" you deserve once we're playing games on a new console?
Nope. Worried my rig won't bust a sweat thanks to having to wait for consoles to catch up. By your posts you have shown you know little about PCs or hardware, that you can't hold a fair comparison and that you are what most would call a 'console elitist' - often just as hated as PC ones, if not more so. Deal with the fact that consoles are old tech, are releasing more old tech, and quite simply can't compare to PCs in terms of power.
Hahaha, honestly man. Take a step back and look at your bullshit.
Take a step back and look at your own. Seriously. I'm calling troll. Either you are purposefully trying to annoy PC gamers with your misinformation and false 'facts', or you know nothing about what you are talking about, yet are trying to prove a point for the fanboy in you. Either way, troll.

And for the record:
The PC crowd will be spending hundreds of thousands of dollars
Wrong, but used sarcastically so somewhat right (In the sense we won't be spending hundreds of thousands).
just so they can keep up with the superior technology and specialization of an econo-box gaming machine
Wrong, but sarcastic so also right (In the sense we won't need to keep up with consoles, they need to keep up with us)

.....built from PC parts.
True of Microsoft. Sony made their own, but rumour is they've learned from that mistake due to poorer returns than they had hoped, meaning PC parts for Sony too... if they end up announcing another console.

Xbox 360 was significantly more powerful (when compared to PC's)back when it was announced
True. In terms of what it could do vs what a PC could do at the time of its announcement, it wasn't too bad. It wasn't equal, but it wasn't that far behind.

and PC's were well past performing it before the thing released.
True, as they built the Xbox 360, more PC hardware became available and cheaper, and when it was finally released, it was far behind PCs. Not as far as it is now, and not as far as the 720 will be if this rumour is true, but still far behind.

By the time 2014 rolls around, and people are just opening up their Xmas Xbox 720's, the PC crowd will be opening their Haswell/Maxwell platform PC's and laptops.
You're right. This is wrong. No self respecting PC player would purchase a prebuilt rig. DIY or GTFO /sarcasm (Seriously though, many people will be doing DIY rather than prebuilt as it is SOOOOO much cheaper).
Consoles will be back in the position of being utterly destroyed in performance and visuals over consoles.
True, though somewhat poorly worded. Thankfully PCs will experience a brief portion of accelerated development, where not hitting the barriers of the console means more money can be put in to make the overall multiplatform game better. As soon as they start optimising though, we'll be in trouble. The money that was being spent on making the game better will start getting spent on making it run better on consoles. Thankfully we still have modders, who will improve the graphics of a game for the devs - seeing as they were more worried about Optimisation than how it looked.

Rasmus Emilsson

Jun 22, 2010
LiquidSolstice said:
Rasmus Emilsson said:
Baby Tea said:
Rasmus Emilsson said:
Tell me, what games play 1080p? some may have been upscaled to 1080p, but none play at 1080p native which is a MAJOR difference.
Well...
Fifa Street 3
Full Auto 2 (demo)
God of War: Origins Collection
God of War Collection Volume II
Ico
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
MLB09: The Show
NBA07 (demo)
NBA08 (demo)
Ridge Racer 7 (demo)
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel
Virtua Tennis 3
World Series Of Poker 2008

1942: Joint Strike
Blast Factor
Commando 3
Echochrome
Elefunk
Fat Princess
Go Puzzle
High Velocity Bowling
Locoroco Cocoreccho
Pixel Junk Monsters/Racers/Eden
Rocketmen
Stardust HD
Sudoku
Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3

Fifa Street 3
NBA Street Home court (demo)
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel
Virtua Tennis 3

Not to mention all the games that are native 720p. And with this new hardware being 6x more powerful, that's looking great for consoles and this '1080p' thing that everyone finds so important. I personally think my current 360 games look and run awesome on my HDTV, so 6x more powerful is pretty awesome. Given the age of the current console tech, I think the devs have been doing flat-out amazing things. Watching what could be done with the 360 and PS3 from launch until now has been very fascinating to behold. So I can't wait for the next generation!
Yeah, i'm with you, SOME games do 1080p, but it's not friggin acceptable that SOME games can do 1080p in 2012! and hell, the games you picked were mostly old games or games that isn't on the very top shelf of graphics.
1080p is not optimal for action-oriented games. 720p is far better suited for that.
You have no idea what you're talking about right?

the difference in 1080p and 720p is the resolution, while 720p is 1280x720 and 1080p is 1920x1080, there is no difference in anything but the resolution. And resolution determines how many pixels are drawn.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
viranimus said:

Oblivion:
2ghz single core
1gb system ram
128 VC ram

Skyrim

2ghz dual core
2gb system ram
512mb VC ram.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLrpBLDWyCI
You are comparing SYTEM REQUIREMENTS of games DESIGNED PRIMARILY FOR CONSOLES and saying that is as far as technology has taken us? REALLY?
I'm sorry, but you could not be more wrong. Ever heard of Moore's law? It states that every 18 months, computing power doubles. This is true, and is still holding true. Just because system requirements on a console designed game don't improve doesn't mean hardware doesn't.
BF2 requiremets:
-2.4Ghz Single Core Processor
-1 Gb RAM
-At least 256 Mb VRAM.

BF3 requirements:
-64 bit operating system
-Quad Core CPU
-4Gb RAM
-GTX 560 or ATI 6950 or higher, with at least 1Gb RAM

that is using you're method for a game that pushes to try and use 100% of my mid range graphics cards, or 30% of my high end mid range CPU, or even 30% of my RAM. System requirements tell you nothing about what hardware can do, only about how much a game utilises it. Note the larger increments than Oblivion to Skyrim - these are PC releases, not console ones - and note that this is really only mid range specs.

That's not entirely true.
What it is is people playing all games wanting their games to look better, have wider FoVs, better Frames Per Second, more things going on at once - better everything. A new console generation offers this.
Its also not just First Person Shooter fanboys asking for this. Did you ever notice how crap Skyrim looked? The vistas, amazing, but the textures, lighting - everything just looked like crap. That is a game where you look around a lot, yet the textures are god awful, the lighting is meh, the view distance isn't too great (You can see the terrain, but its so blurred and missing so many features.. GRAHH!) - the aesthetic is good, the graphics are bad. Edit it with fanmade mods and such, and tweak the .ini with Nvidia's help, and it looks 10X better. That is what people want from a new console generation: That sort of stuff for console, and even better stuff for PC.
I'd also argue there is nothing inherently wrong with the competitive online FPS genre. If anything, there is something inherently right about it ATM. It is fulfilling its purpose brilliantly, and attracting the most people of any entertainment released ever, and really, what should they do? Un-innovate and go back on old ideas? Yeah, lose you're audience and make a game that everyone will tell you should have been released last century. Add in elements from other genres? RPGs called, they want their unlock and level systems back. Drastically change how your game plays? See Dragon Age Origins to Dragon Age 2. There is little left that can be done with the simple concept that is competitive online FPS gaming without alienating your audience, as such they sink more money into making it look better.
And for not getting to appreciate that, you are wrong. You appreciate it every time you walk outside and see the brilliant lighting in BF3, you appreciate it every time you die into a bush for cover and get it all up in your face. You appreciate it every time something blows up, and you see the awesome effect. You appreciate it when you go underground and see the lights on cars and trams. You appreciate it all the time. Yes, you are playing a fast paced game, but you aren't playing with your eyes closed. If you are, you're playing it wrong.

The_Merchant

Nov 9, 2011
i could care less about graphics and visuals
gothic is a somewhat 10-year old game and soa re its graphics and yet delivered a better atmosphere and immersion than skyrim did with its all-shiny gfx did for me
srsly all i want is better perfomance,screw the visuals if you must,because i am a guy who does not freak out when he sees blurry stitches on a virtual jacket.

all i want is 60 fps,with anti-screen tearing measures

seriously friggin good for you if that water splash looks sooooo awesome,but that doesnt redeem the fact that the GAME plays like crap because devs were to focused to simlulate that water splash

you know what,forget it,script everything in the next games,make the game shoot people for you,we just enjoy the sweet effects

-.-

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
LilithSlave said:
Things like this are why I hate graphics and don't have that much energy to pick up and become good at Blender.
Don't blame the tech for what people do with it. That demo, regardless of your taste in games, shows some awesome technical potential. Now it's up to the developers to do stuff with it, but that doesn't make the tech any less impressive. Just look at those clothing physics, those fluid physics, that lighting engine. Imagine what you can do with it.

Imagine.