Xbox One Could Be Microsoft's Last Console

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Xbox One Could Be Microsoft's Last Console

With Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer's exit, the company could either focus on hardware or business software.

Depending on the Xbox One's performance and the new direction Microsoft takes under a new CEO, the console could be the company's last attempt at gaming hardware. "I think this is a possibility," DFC Intelligence analyst David Cole told GamesIndustry International. "We have always wondered how long Microsoft would stay with the game hardware business. Their strategy for Xbox One clearly looks like it will not be a success on a grand scale."

Independent analyst Billy Pidgeon disagreed, saying, "Those looking at Microsoft with a high level perspective as part of the general technology ecosystem have a tendency to think of Xbox strictly as hardware business."

Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft have all had -- and still have -- trouble marketing their game hardware. Regardless of the success or lack of success for the Xbox One, Microsoft's consoles add to a market in consumer software. In addition, Microsoft is ahead of other companies such as Apple and Google in the games market, and leaving that market could harm Microsoft. However, with a new CEO, it's possible Microsoft would compete these two companies more in the mobile games market.

Asif Khan, CEO of Panoptic Management Consultants, pointed out that the Xbox is "not what brings home the donuts for Microsoft." The Xbox One may be a tricky move for Microsoft to profit on long-run, but completely leaving the gaming business would be a strange move.

Source: GamesIndustry International [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-08-28-xbox-one-the-last-microsoft-console]

lovest harding

Dec 6, 2009
Is there a reason I'm supposed to care about analysts?
Not trying to be offensive, but every time I hear about an analyst predicting doom and destruction it's accompanied by another analyst saying the opposite.
So either Microsoft will no longer make consoles or they will? Did we need a couple of analysts to tell us that? Aren't those the only two options for Microsoft when it comes to consoles? Either they make them or don't?

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
I've been saying this for a while. Coming in last for console sales in 2 generations in a row can't be good for investors. Neither is making very little profit of the 360 after losing billions on the original Xbox.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
ZippyDSMlee said:
Good the sooner we get to a universal gaming hardware environment the better....
Yeah! Cause monopolies always work out in the end right guys?

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Saviordd1 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Good the sooner we get to a universal gaming hardware environment the better....
If you see a crappy game, don't buy it. Sounds simple enough.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
This is not News in any way:

If Company X' new Y proves to be unsuccessful then that new Y might just be X' last Y!

Is that this news boils down to. And it is not new in any ways, that is just how good business works. If you waste Billions of Dollars on something, you don't repeat it.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Well that article was uncertain.

"they might, but might not, get out of the console business. It could, or could not, be a good thing for them"

We've all learned something today.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Saviordd1 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
VHS,DVD,Blu ray are all universal formats IE they get together design the hardware sub out the work to vendors who build the units. It seems to work well for for the video industry......

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I'd go so far as to say that if XBone goes the way of the Dreamcast, then it's the beginning of the end for console gaming as a whole. Annnnnnnnd at the moment, due to all the blunders they've made with the XBone, it certainly seems like that's going to be the case.

Not that Microsoft is some kind of major support for gaming that the industry couldn't stand to lose, but more just as a sign of the times. With MS out of the way, it'll be down to just Nintendo (which has been in a slump) and Sony. More and more people are signing up for the genetic enhancements necessary to join the PC Master Race (especially with the lack-luster showcasing of this coming generation). I dunno, just seems to me that it is time for us console gamers to repent, for the end is nigh.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
lovest harding said:
Is there a reason I'm supposed to care about analysts?
Not trying to be offensive, but every time I hear about an analyst predicting doom and destruction it's accompanied by another analyst saying the opposite.
Being an analyst is probably a great gig. Aside from becoming a politician or an investment banker, few other jobs will reward you for being consistently wrong.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
One main point of contention here: all these analysts are totally missing what Microsoft is doing right now. They are trying to bring a unified experience to PCs, tablets, phones, and game consoles. Even if the Xbox One is only a moderate success, it's serving the dual purpose of advertising for Windows 8. If they even break even on it, that's still better for them than spending a fortune on an ad campaign. If it works in that regard, they'll continue to produce games consoles in the future just for that.

P.S. Thanks

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
Saviordd1 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
VHS,DVD,Blu ray are all universal formats IE they get together design the hardware sub out the work to vendors who build the units. It seems to work well for for the video industry......
Oh goody, so instead of 3 Consoles made by 3 different companies, we can have One console made by about 80 or 90 different companies, with some versions of the Console better then the other. Just like the Philip's CD-i! And that was a huge success!

You have to understand, that the Video Industry is nothing like the Video Game industry. Plus, there was competition between VHS's (Beta max's and laser discs come to mind), DVD's (With VHS's), and Blu-Ray (DVD and HD=DVD's, as well as MP3's, MP4's and other digital formats). A Universal Console would simply create a Monopoly the likes we haven't seen since the Windows based-PC domination of the Computer Market in the 90's, which ended so well for Microsoft. Point is, Monopolies are never a good thing, and they are always challenged; even in the Video Industry.

OT: It would suck if they do leave, but if they do, I hope Nintendo can re-buy RareWare. I need my fix of Banjo-Kazooie!

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Saviordd1 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
One universal gaming hardware doesn't have to come from one house. PC is a prime example - there are quite a few you can choose from, even single pieces of it can come from different companies. Something similar can also happen for console - or they become the same as a PC in the first place.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Saviordd1 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
I think he was talking more along the lines of VCR and DVD players, and not monopolies. Sure the formats could be called "monopolistic", but what it will come down to is being able to buy a license for that format and then creating your own form of console that interacts with that format.

Oskuro

Nov 18, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
You mean like the PC?

Not trying to be a PC-elitist or anything. The move towards consoles has always been about creating strictly controlled markets, hence the lack of compatibility. Beneath the logo and proprietary software, consoles are just gaming-oriented PC boxes, and it'd be a boon to developers and consumers alike if the software (operating system) on these boxes was an open one, without gatekeepers controlling the content. It would also be great to have hardware manufacturers focus on creating the best hardware, rather than rely on software exclusives.

Unfortunately, regardless of industry, it is often easier to lock down a market than to compete fairly, so it is very unlikely to happen soon.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Mr.Mattress said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Saviordd1 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Oh goody, so instead of 3 Consoles made by 3 different companies, we can have One console made by about 80 or 90 different companies, with some versions of the Console better then the other. Just like the Philip's CD-i! And that was a huge success!

You have to understand, that the Video Industry is nothing like the Video Game industry. Plus, there was competition between VHS's (Beta max's and laser discs come to mind), DVD's (With VHS's), and Blu-Ray (DVD and HD=DVD's, as well as MP3's, MP4's and other digital formats). A Universal Console would simply create a Monopoly the likes we haven't seen since the Windows based-PC domination of the Computer Market in the 90's, which ended so well for Microsoft. Point is, Monopolies are never a good thing, and they are always challenged; even in the Video Industry.

OT: It would suck if they do leave, but if they do, I hope Nintendo can re-buy RareWare. I need my fix of Banjo-Kazooie!
Not really as with the cost of games you get basically 1 go I doubt there will be many if any Beta/VHS or HDVD-Blu ray battles. Hell if I can build it for under 500 they can build it for under 300. You can also limit console versions in the licensing so that's no big deal. As for monopolies ,we have them now only you as the consumer have to shell out 3X the cost of what it would be with a universal format. We are worse off with exclusives and multi consoles that if you are a mediocre gamer or better you kinda must buy them all. So meh.