Xbox One Could Be Microsoft's Last Console

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
ZippyDSMlee said:
There are 2 problems with the PC a high customizable OS which can become unstable, many different types of hardware and various issues with different builds and drivers. You boil all that down to one setup with its own security system.The
games are almost identical to the PC but will not work on a PC,ect,ect.
You're exaggerating the problems.

Windows a highly customizable OS? You mean Linux right? Hardware development right now is slowing down. With streamlined gaming clients like Steam, origin and arguably gog games are easier to install with less problems.

Not even to mention that most schools in the western world are now teaching computer science at a young age, the next generation will be computer literate.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Microsoft can "either" continue making business software or keep making stuff like the Surface and the Xbox? Based on the direction they've been heading lately, it seems more likely they'll go with the latter. Especially given that businesses are not happy with Windows 8 and have, for the most part, refused to upgrade.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Vivi22 said:
lovest harding said:
Is there a reason I'm supposed to care about analysts?
Not trying to be offensive, but every time I hear about an analyst predicting doom and destruction it's accompanied by another analyst saying the opposite.
Being an analyst is probably a great gig. Aside from becoming a politician or an investment banker, few other jobs will reward you for being consistently wrong.
Like weather forecaster?

OT: I wouldn't care too much if Microsoft goes under, but what I'd be interested to see if who, if any, would take their place. Sony's on pace to see a fair amount of success with the PS4, and with the PS2's history they know they can manage to attain that level of success. Nintendo's still holding strong and has been a steady force in the gaming industry. I'm pretty sure that if the Ouya doesn't pick up steam, that'll be a failure.

Just makes me wonder who'll be next to attempt to wade into the industry and with what.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
roseofbattle said:
Independent analyst Billy Pidgeon
Ah, this idiot again.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.404400-Analyst-Square-Enix-Faces-Tough-Year-With-Single-Player-Games

Yeah, nothing to see here, people. Move along.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
IshimaruHayato said:
I wonder what roosterteeth would do if companies stopped making games for Xbox one.
Absolutely nothing, since Achievement Hunter has become increasingly more involved in PC and Play Station exclusive gaming, and since Microsoft would probably sell off the Halo IP (probably to Sony), they'd just move over there instead.

Honestly, RvB isn't their chief source of income anymore. Little people know that they make commercials for games. Also, they have evolved past Red vs Blue being the only content they offer.

nodlimax

Feb 8, 2012
I've said something similar months ago. If you have some deeper understanding of technology, then it's pretty easy to see where the whole home entertainment will most likely go within the next 10-20 years.

The consoles will sooner or later die out. Their stiff architecture is actually becoming a major problem for them as mobile devices for example become more and more powerful. At the same time the PC not only as a Windows but also as a Linux machine can easily dominate the consoles in terms of versatility and raw power.

In 10-20 years though I don't see the standard desktop or mobile computer in peoples homes anymore. If we haven't blown ourselves up by that time we'll probably have more centralized units in our homes (or in the cloud if that really goes well - I hope not) which will feed all of the devices we have ("TV", Displays, Gamecontrollers and so on). They will act like servers and wherever you are at home you'll have access to your stuff. If you're not at home you can still access your stuff with your mobile device.

Trust me, there won't be a real war between consoles and the PC or mobile devices. Those thing are going to grow together.

The first step is already done. Consoles in their architecture alone have moved closer to PCs. They basically are PCs just with a very specific hardware and locked up software configuration you can't change. And this is one reason why they will fail on the long run....

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Of course it is.

The whole goal has been an integrated system in the middle of the living room which has been unwanted by the gaming community. Their next "console" won't be considered a gaming system and probably won't use the Xbox moniker.

Mar 26, 2008
I think Microsoft are fairly positive about the Xbox 360. It's still turning a profit. It took at least seven years before the PS3 outsold the Xbox 360 and this is in the twighlight years of this console generation, and also the 360 is still selling more software than the PS3 given that a lot of people simply bought it as a cheap Blu-Ray player.

That said they seem to be keen on blowing all that goodwill with the Xbox One and I can't see it shifting nearly enough numbers to justify their hardware division. The PS4 is off to a flying start and that lead will be even harder, if not impossible, to peg back than the 360-PS3 one. When Sega realised they couldn't make that kind of traction with the Dreamcast against the PS2 they ended up pulling the pin.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
Since the original plan of the Xbox One was a long-term future-proof system.

I don't think it matters much as long as the support for the Xbox One remains active like it has with the 360.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
ZippyDSMlee said:
Good the sooner we get to a universal gaming hardware environment the better....
We already got. PC. gamers however seems to be dead lockedo n boxes under TV. so now they made PCs that sit under TV. because both Xbone and PS4 are basically small costum PCs anyway.

Shadow-Phoenix said:
Even if they pulled out I still can't see PC "dominating" or "winning" over everything else since we'd still have Sony and Nintendo like we've had over the past 2 decades.

Though it seems to be a pipe dream many PC only people dream about, god knows why they do when some people just don't want to game on a PC.
Back in the late 90s early 00s PC was on top till the new wave of consoles came and swept that away. the world didnt end.
Why dont you want to game on PC? do you have actual arguments, or just conspiracy theories and legends? Because whenever i see somone tell me how they cant game on PC because X its almost always that the X is not even true or hasnt been for a decade.

Glaice said:
So this means the PC market will totally dominate gaming in due time? If I'm correct, it has been for the past 5 years being ahead in terms of hardware innovations with faster CPUs, video cards and RAM.
PCs were always ahead as far as raw speed is concerned, because consoles were never meant to be a competition in hardware perspective. they were supposed to be a service-superior. but Console service has gone more complicated, while PC has ran out the weeds, and now we see a them standing very close.

SkarKrow said:
It was however, eclipsed, by the PS2. But everything was that generation. The current gen I think worldwide it has come last though, but I'd have to check the PS3 figures.
It was in the lead at start but PS3 outsold it in recent years.

ZippyDSMlee said:
There are 2 problems with the PC a high customizable OS which can become unstable, many different types of hardware and various issues with different builds and drivers. You boil all that down to one setup with its own security system.The games are almost identical to the PC but will not work on a PC,ect,ect.
Well, not anymore. The highly customizable OS doesn't work once you get win 8. and MS can lock anything it wants there anyway. Hardware variation exists, however hardware generations have goon way more stable and generalized now. also we got drivers and other proxies to deal with that and game designer doesn't got need to account that a person may have overclocked and burned one of his gpu cores. Besides, the hardware is going so standard now that we often see same hardware re-released as a different name. for example 750 is just a slightly tweaked 660. sometimes they dont even tweak it.

nodlimax said:
In 10-20 years though I don't see the standard desktop or mobile computer in peoples homes anymore. If we haven't blown ourselves up by that time we'll probably have more centralized units in our homes (or in the cloud if that really goes well - I hope not) which will feed all of the devices we have ("TV", Displays, Gamecontrollers and so on). They will act like servers and wherever you are at home you'll have access to your stuff. If you're not at home you can still access your stuff with your mobile device.
You underestimate peoples conservatism. There are many people who still think PCs radiate radiation. like actual cancer inducing radiation. "Because it has many wires". maybe in 100 years we will ahve centralized units everywhere, in 10 - hardly. i mean just look at the outcry of no dialup and SDTV in Xbone recieved. apperently A LOT of gamers still use both. and they are both obsolete technology now. Though i still saw SDTVs for sale.... seriuosly....

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Is this really a surprise though?

The Xbox chain has been losing Microsoft millions to billions since it's inception.
Yeah, it out beat the Gamecube, but Nintendo makes money saving consoles, so despite the GC being third, Nintendo never reported a loss for the system.
Microsoft on the other hand still lost money, even though it was in 2nd place (by 2 million)

Even the Xbox 360 was losing them money up until a couple years back.
And with the botched Xbox One PR, and the lack of launch releases in various countries when the new console goes live- something tells me, someone higher up wants this console to fail just to give out the excuse to pull out of the console race.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
mad825 said:
Not even to mention that most schools in the western world are now teaching computer science at a young age, the next generation will be computer literate.
Got to make a point on that. Computer literacy is going the exact opposite direction. Logging onto facebook and amazon is not computer literacy. What is worse is that there is an increasing push by apple to use schools as marketing dumps (at least in the US). They know they have hit mass market saturation so the only way to increase consumers is to indoctrinate a new generation of them. Educating a generation on a locked up proprietary niche operating system is perhaps the most effective way of ensuring that the next generation will be even less computer literate than the previous one.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Strazdas said:
Back in the late 90s early 00s PC was on top till the new wave of consoles came and swept that away. the world didnt end.

Why dont you want to game on PC? do you have actual arguments, or just conspiracy theories and legends? Because whenever i see somone tell me how they cant game on PC because X its almost always that the X is not even true or hasnt been for a decade.
I do game on PC, I've got my very own custom built rig complete with gamepad.

I never said I didn't game on PC but I also didn't say I was PC only either.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Strazdas said:

Fair enough, its just too often i hear "i cant game on PC" for reasons that dont actually exist.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
viranimus said:
Got to make a point on that. Computer literacy is going the exact opposite direction. Logging onto facebook and amazon is not computer literacy. What is worse is that there is an increasing push by apple to use schools as marketing dumps (at least in the US). They know they have hit mass market saturation so the only way to increase consumers is to indoctrinate a new generation of them. Educating a generation on a locked up proprietary niche operating system is perhaps the most effective way of ensuring that the next generation will be even less computer literate than the previous one.
Here in the UK, the majority of them are teaching programming languages hence why I specifically mentioned computer science...If you can't guess from the name, it is a scientific course and no mickey mouse qualification by far.

I agree, most general IT courses can do more harm than good.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Strazdas said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Strazdas said:

Fair enough, its just too often i hear "i cant game on PC" for reasons that dont actually exist.
No problems, I'm fine with gaming on PC, I just can't stand when people limit themselves to a single platform and then have some sort of gall to place the blame on the creators of other software/hardware when really it's their job to make you want to buy into what they have to sell.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
ZippyDSMlee said:
Saviordd1 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Good the sooner we get to a universal gaming hardware environment the better....
Yeah! Cause monopolies always work out in the end right guys?
VHS,DVD,Blu ray are all universal formats IE they get together design the hardware sub out the work to vendors who build the units. It seems to work well for for the video industry......
I don't know if you knew this, but you can't put play a VHS cassette on a DVD player, a blu-ray disc on a VHS or a DVD, or a DVD on a VHS.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
AzrealMaximillion said:
Also, Steam's library lack titles from Japanese developers and Japanese developers develop games in a completely different way than Western devs do. Japanese games are built on the console for the console. Western games are built on the PC then put onto the console. The Steam Box will be at a major disadvantage by not having those titles as well as not having any exclusive games that wouldn't be on the PC anyways.
I seriously doubt that would be a major disadvantage at this point.
Japanese games don't carry nearly the same clout they did 10 years ago, as their relevancy has eroded away with Japan's waning interest in western gaming markets and increased focus on their domestic market (thank the recession for slashing the value of western currencies, and with it, Japan's export yields).

Sony may act as the best "bridge" for western markets; lightyears ahead of Nintendo, but it was Nintendo who made the biggest pile of money last generation, not Sony. While I don't see Nintendo repeating their accidental success with the WiiU, the success of the Wii and why it succeeded financially says an awful lot about the reduced relevance of Japanese games to mainstream western gaming.

More bluntly: Shitty, cheap Wii gimmick games made Nintendo more money than Sony's (generally) higher quality ports.

(thankfully, that success wasn't foolproof; when the Wii fell, it fell HARD. Check out Nintendo's losses from currency exchange and overproduction. Over production of, yup, Wii-crap and 3DS units.)

Summarily: I think you overestimate the value of Japanese games to the global market.

Apart from that, I don't see a "Steambox" filling any void left by Microsoft, since it would still have to reconcile the problems that M$'s initial Xbone offer had while competing with Steam.