Xbox One Designed "With Advertising in Mind"

kongajinken

Mar 24, 2012
canadamus_prime said:
And Microsoft keeps pushing me further and further away. If there is one thing I HATE it's having advertising shoved down my throat. Fuck off Microsoft.
You took the words right out of my mouth, was browsing the xbox dashboard earlier wondering when they put those forsaken things in.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
How has Microsoft not set off a new volcano yet? Seriously, how much deeper can they make the hole?

Solvemedia: live long + prosper
I doubt Microsoft will be doing that.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
I... What the Fuck are they Even thinking? I understand they might want to do this, I get that they could actually do it, but jesus, don't say it like that! What will be the next headline?
'Microsoft announces new controller design: this one will not explode, we swear. To alleviate [explosive] battery problems, we constructed the new controller out of wasps.'

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
"On Xbox [One], the ad is part of the actual experience, it's not something that is outside. The only difference is that the advertisement we have is quite small and not disruptive so people are not aware of clicking on the banners because they know this is a part of the whole experience on the dash."
Goodness, they're really milking that "experience" buzzword for all its worth, aren't they?
It's so overused and meaningless that it's become a sort of lingual fragrance: A word that's used to try and cover up the stench of something else, something unpleasant.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Microsoft seriously needs to do something about their PR. Out of the frying pan and into the fire I guess? except they started the fire themselves?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I'd like to get more and more ads of Doritos and Mountain Dew please!, there's never enough of them!

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I wonder what happens if you use the Xbone to play a CD that just has a loop of someone saying 'Sony Playstation 4' over and over. Will it show PS4 ads?

Captcha: it happens. Confirmed! Captcha is never wrong.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
So first the Xbone was designed with developers in mind and now it is developed with advertisements in mind. Where does the consumer fall into this list? Or perhaps the better question, DOES the consumer fall into this list?

loa

Jan 28, 2012
It keeps getting better and better.
Next thing we know is, the thing has been designed by satan out of the bones of orphans.
Mr.K. said:
I'm really starting to wonder what parallel universe Xbox designers came from where all that looked like a really great idea, before it was scary now it's turning into hilarious.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Sorry, I think they're missing a step where they explain why the console I've paid £459 is running any ads at all?

I am so sick and tired of Microsoft's fucking sinister bullshit. Ten, fifteen years ago you bought a new computer, it came with an OS disc and you got a full suite of Microsoft Office. Now, you can build a recovery disc, meaning you can only install the OS you've paid for onto one computer in your house, you get a 30 day trial version of Office, and Microsoft Works now has a massive ad bar up the side unless you pay to remove it.

If they'd done it from the start I'd say, 'fine, fuck you and have a nice day' but charging money for shit that used to be free is the kind of anti-consumer bollocks that justifies all the hate Microsoft receive and proves that they are either completely blind to public opinion or just don't give a shit about anything other than their profits.

Desert Punk said:
Simalacrum said:
Microsoft seriously needs to do something about their PR. Out of the frying pan and into the fire I guess? except they started the fire themselves?
You know...I am starting to think that #dealwithit retard is about as PR smart as Microsoft gets...

Perhaps I should send them my Resume... I have never worked in PR before, but even I could do better than they are.
I already offered my PR services to Microsoft. I said I'd accept payment in the form of a Playstation Plus subscription.

They're yet to take me up on my offer, but I'm feeling pretty confident about it.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
You pay for the console, you pay for the games. But it's not enough! They want ad revenue. & if they had their way, it would be 100% not used games. So I could only see down the line they'd planned to offer a subscription to turn off the ads. I guess the guy who designs an Adblocker that works on a console would become a national hero.

Ads in games are only acceptable if the game is free & the developers make their money from ad revenue.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
There's already plenty of ads on the PS3 and 360.
I see no reason to get upset by this non-specific information.

If they start creating loading screens in games that play 30 second t.v commercials then we'll have a problem.

HellbirdIV

May 21, 2009
At this point, it feels like Microsoft should just toss the whole thing. All of it. The whole console, the whole marketing - everything. Toss it in a barrel, and light it on fire.

Then start over from scratch, beginning with a better name than "Xbox One". You're not gonna compete with the PS4 with this... abomination, so you might as well start over from scratch and release a better, more advanced console. You know, just like the orginal Xbox was to the PS2?

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Dear Microsoft,

Sincerely,

CCM

P.S. If you record whatever it is that you'll do to heed said advice, that'd be wonderful.

sapphireofthesea

Jul 18, 2010
RatherDull said:

Seriously, we pay 500 dollars and pay for Xbox Live and you're STILL charging us out the asshole. This cannot end well.

I have the same pic ^^

As for the new, it is very very sad. They only just got out of a shit storm and now they start it again. Advertizing is legit on completely 100% free things, and even then there are limits to how much people put up with. They are charging full price and still pushing it on people. This is just getting to silly levels now.