Xbox One Sells a Million Units In 24 Hours

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
LOL at all the Sony fanboys in heavy denial right now. Yes these are probably international figures, however that doesn't mean this isn't selling well. It's doing well here in Australia at any rate
Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go back to true next gen gaming on my PC.

Also Sony fan-boys need to remember that a monopoly is never a good thing.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
SirDeadly said:
I've been to midnight launches where it's taken hours to get out, and the store I go to is a small one. That is why I reckon it's a good idea to get there early. Two hours early to be home playing while everyone else is still in line, I know what I'd prefer.

They wouldn't make games if the system didn't sell would they?
Was the staff so imcompetent or the buyers so willing to waste their time and stand in line for 2 hours+?
And yes, they would. They would make them for a system that sold.

loa said:
Well it didn't tank then.
That's good because the wiiu isn't really competition for the ps4.
it kinda did. It sold less on its own territory than PS4. When PS4 launches everywhere else where historically they have always been a much better seller the real difference will be seen.

AgentLampshade said:
How many were returned after finding out you had to be online to use the thing for the first time?

Same question for Sony.
Same question does not apply to sony since you can play games without downloading the patch with PS4.

nevarran said:
Because that would definitely improve your experience with your platform of choice...
Of course it would. My system of choice being more popular would mean more developers would develop for it, maybe even primarily for it, which would mean much more optimize games and choice.

Demandred20 said:
Has this forum been taken over by the SonyDefenceForce or somethimg? As an outsider with no horse in this race I think that people owning PS4s should welcome a successful Xbox one because can anyone ever think when a monopoly was responsible for making things better for the consumer? At least with this both companies are forced to be on their feet a bit.
What system do you use to play games? You claim you use neither of the two, so i assume WiiU or PC. im sure by now you see that PS4 wouldnt have monopoly if Xbox wouldnt sell any units at all.
And even if theoretically it did, that does not mean it would be bad for a consumer.
Actually having two companies is a bad situation if only for exclusives alone. instead of being able to chose games freely you aren ow stuck with having to chose between one exclusives or other exclusives or pay double for the console.

Twenty Ninjas said:
It's weird how much people here want Sony to gain monopoly on this console generation. Because monopoly is good and Sony can do no wrong, apparently.

No competition has never served the consumer.
Its wierd how many people here does not udnerstand that xbox failing does not leave sony alone.

nickpy

Oct 9, 2010
I find this slightly depressing, but after working in retail I have come to understand that the majority of people simply don't understand what they're buying. Also, some people (apparently) like the metro interface so what do I know?

Still, as others have said, it is probably just as well - if sony had had no credible competition whatsoever, they would probably have just reverted to evil (or more evil - almost-compulsory day-one patch, anyone?)

For my own part, I don't particularly intend to ever buy a home console again. I increasingly find myself disusing my PS3, and now that I am in to computer gaming, I find the lack of mods and backups etc horribley limiting for my own tastes. I only kept it around for the odd game not available on computer... I suppose in a few years I might take the dive on an 8th gen console once the price is lower, for the sake of a couple of exclusives, though I'm hoping that the new ease of porting will mean that many more games will be cross-platform.

However, I do definitely intend to keep my Wii and PS2 because holy f... the nintendo games and PS2 era games... *drools over Timesplitters box*. I also had a PSP and now a Vita because mobile-phone games and DS games are, for the most part, not for me, and I still want some portable gaming for long trips... so in that respect, I'll remain a sony customer for a while yet.

heroicbob

Aug 25, 2010
Twenty Ninjas said:
It's weird how much people here want Sony to gain monopoly on this console generation. Because monopoly is good and Sony can do no wrong, apparently.

No competition has never served the consumer.
sony has almost always had universally better messaging than microsoft, or more accurately Microsoft is terrible at it(need i point out that stupid surface advertisement)
I'm pretty sure that if sony and microsoft had their e3 events at the same time they would have been exactly the same

Jun 20, 2013
To everyone defending MS with the "but they reversed it" deal:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-on-xbox-one-our-long-term-vision-hasnt-changed-at-all/1100-6414877/

If it isn't the One, it'll be the next console. They truly see always online this as their future. Yeah, Sony isn't perfect either, but they're not the fucking monster MS has become.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Considering the amount of shit flung at the console, a million is quite good. Yes, I am aware that it's worldwide as opposed to three countries.

I'll keep reading this thread, the amount of tears and begging for Sony to have billions of dollars and complete and utter dominance over the console market is so delicious. Keep 'em coming, guys.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
smithy_2045 said:
AgentLampshade said:
How many were returned after finding out you had to be online to use the thing for the first time?

Same question for Sony.
I'd be immensely surprised if it was more than 100. You'd have to be a special kind of stupid to buy at launch and be completely unaware of what's needed for the console to work, not to mention the fact that you'd be returning it instead of contacting customer support for a workaround.
Except there is no other way around for the Xbox (in fact you have to contact customer support to even get the patch correctly installed), while the PS4 has one that doesn't require the console to ever be online.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
People are surprised by this? It's 1 million units in 13 countries. The PS4 sold that much in the US. So don't worry, the Xbone didn't beat the PS4. Just wait for the European and Australian sales numbers. That's gonna be hilarious.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
josemlopes said:
Did someone really got suspended for telling someone else to calm down?

What the fuck, moderators?
I'm guessing it was for calling the other user a crying baby, by using a picture.

Vault101 got banned for making a post just like that.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Gearhead mk2 said:
GoaThief said:
Actually it says in the article that this was across all 13 countries. And on paper, right now the PS4 and the Xbone are tied. This is certainly gonna change when the PS4 comes out in Europe and Japan though.
So you're suggesting that the author has deliberately misrepresented the facts to make it seem like parity when the PS4 has not even completed release yet? Interesting.

On paper, it isn't like for like.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
KarmaTheAlligator said:
smithy_2045 said:
AgentLampshade said:

Same question for Sony.
I'd be immensely surprised if it was more than 100. You'd have to be a special kind of stupid to buy at launch and be completely unaware of what's needed for the console to work, not to mention the fact that you'd be returning it instead of contacting customer support for a workaround.
Except there is no other way around for the Xbox (in fact you have to contact customer support to even get the patch correctly installed), while the PS4 has one that doesn't require the console to ever be online.
The PS4 does not require a day one patch to play games. That's a fact.

Also, as above there are various user friendly methods of install such as a pen drive should you choose to update it.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Revolutionary said:
Also Sony fan-boys need to remember that a monopoly is never a good thing.
Would you please stop calling every anti-Microsoft person on the internet a Sony fanboy?

Not liking one company doesn't mean you're blind to the faults of the other by principle.

josemlopes said:
Did someone really got suspended for telling someone else to calm down?

What the fuck, moderators?
Actually, if I were to hazard a guess, they were suspended for the condescending and insulting picture of a crying child, implying that the person quoted was being a little baby.

OT: I'd be interested in seeing those numbers if Microsoft hadn't reversed their policies.

As it stands, I figured the Xbox One would sell gangbusters even with the 24-hour check-in, because it's an Xbox console, so how surprising is it really that it would sell out the door?

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
I'm sad. They're getting away with it, even that fucking price. How the hell can 1 million people worldwide even afford that? I won't be able to afford that for a long time. This is just fucking... how? Who goes along with this shit? I'm befuddled at just how willing people are to be bent over and arse raped to death by Microsoft because they simply don't know any better.

Forgive me for being massively over the top I'm just sad that they look like they're winning, despite being evil.

General Winter

Sep 13, 2013
This is really simple, guys. Hardcore Xbox fans are going to buy their systems on the first day, same with PS4. The Xbox One still has at least a million people willing to defend it. That doesn't mean they can sustain the pace, because it's only the hardcore people who would still buy the Xbox One after everything that has happened. I think that the sales figures going forward will be a lot more telling than the launch stats.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
GoaThief said:
So you're suggesting that the author has deliberately misrepresented the facts to make it seem like parity when the PS4 has not even completed release yet? Interesting.

On paper, it isn't like for like.
Actually I was saying that, right now at least, one could argue that the PS4 and the Xbone have equal sales. It'd be twisting the figures a bit and PR speak worthy of Mattick himself, but it wouldn't be a lie.

BernardoOne

Jun 7, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
People are surprised by this? It's 1 million units in 13 countries. The PS4 sold that much in the US. So don't worry, the Xbone didn't beat the PS4. Just wait for the European and Australian sales numbers. That's gonna be hilarious.
Yep. They will sell at least 1.5 millions on release on Europe.

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
To those who claim monopoly is bad: Absolutely true. However, alot of people who want to see MS fall flat on their face here is less due to "Sony fanboyism" and more for the desire that stupid, anti-consumer antics get punished hard enough to discourage it in the future. Sony isn't perfect in this regard, by any stretch, but the sheer concentrated mass of bad ideas in the original Xbox One design deserves ire drawn to it.

That, and PC and Wii U still serve as a form of competition to some degree. I believe Steam is also releasing something (although I'm not well informed on the subject).

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Well the public have spoken $60 games filled with microtransactions is now completely acceptable "sigh"
I know, Steam sure is popular these days!

OT: Can people seriously stop saying people buying this are the uninformed people? It's really fucking annoying because at this stage I prefer the Xbox One and do you want to know why? The games! You know, the things the consoles are made to play? None of the PS4 exclusive games appeal to me while Killer Instinct and Forza 5 are games I want to play. And before I'm accused of being a fan boy, I want to eventually get both consoles but it will be a long time before that happens unfortunately.