Xbox One Sells a Million Units In 24 Hours

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
GoaThief said:
Firstly, congratulations Microsoft!

Sorry, but not at all. This really requires an edit of the article as it's simply not true. I'm guessing it was just a simple misunderstanding of numbers but the Xbone launch was global and the PS4 has not launched everywhere yet, with NA the only territory.

Doesn't look so good on the Escapist with mistakes like the above going unedited.
It pretty clearly isn't an error. The fact that Sony chose to limit their initial launch to North America doesn't change that both companies sold 1 million consoles in the first 24 hours of their respective launches.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
thepyrethatburns said:
2) Nintendo is the only one that has shown any consumer respect in the last generation but who in their right mind is going to buy a Wii U?
I disagree with this. Nintendo is one of the least consumer friendly companies of the three, pulling shit like that whole "lets play" youtube fiasco and then the Evo Smash Bros Melee stream. On top of that: REGION LOCKING. Region locking is the one and ONLY thing that is stopping me from going out right now and buying a Wii U.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Guys? Can we chill? I'm not the biggest fan of Microsoft either, but good lord we need to keep things in perspective here. Microsoft backpedaled on most of the crappy decisions that they made regarding DRM and other crap, and it's after THAT that these sales happened. Shouldn't that set a good precedent? And please stop treating every last person who buys an Xbox one as a moron, I really hate it when people get upset that people didn't make the "right" choice when it came to a gaming platform.

Besides, if you really want the PS4 to sell better, it's sold just as much as the Xbox One, and it's only been released in a fraction of as many countries.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
nevarran said:
Because that would definitely improve your experience with your platform of choice...
You're right, as a PC gamer console sales numbers don't affect me at all.

That being said, I still have a grudge against M$ for their awful policies and I feel that the PS4 is objectively the superior console for what it is.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
munx13 said:
Gonna say the same thing I said about the PS4 launch: one million people aren't responsible with their money and are suckers for being early adopters.
And if they never bought the console, nobody would get the console when it's so much better two years later because, like the Dreamcast, it will be dead.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Yopaz said:
Quantum Glass said:
Baresark said:
I honestly would have been more surprised if it didn't do just as well. Most people hold the systems themselves in equal regard. I mean, if I were looking at which one to buy based on launch lineup... Xbone would have have gotten my money, if for no other reason than I would love to play Dead Rising 3. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to see this thing crash and burn as much as the next guy because of all that PR bullshit they pulled. A part of me always knew that would never happen though.
Wait, why do we want it to crash and burn again?

I get that their policies when Xbox One was first announced were pretty undesirable, but from what I can tell they've changed most of them at this point.
It's the principle! They hurt my feelings and I want them to fail! It's mainly things like that. It's in part because of the DRM thing, but it's also because of the way they acted towards those who didn't like it. Telling people who were concerned abot the DRM to buy an Xbox 360, saying people who don't have a stable internet connection to "deal with it", the refusal to confirm any details. Personally I want this console to be successful, but their PR has turned me off getting it for myself.

OT: Oh, so my prediction that they would do well seems to be more accurate than all those saying it would crash and burn. I'm quite happy to see it selling this much if only to shut those people up.
Don't forget that people who want backwards compatability are backwards. That was a mean one.

I was kind of suprised to hear they matched the PS4 sales until I saw the part about it being the sales figures for their entire launch compared to just the North American PS4 numbers. Which kind of shows the Xbone didn't do so well. Just wait until Sony get one million day one sales in Europe, then another million in Japan next year.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
Well at least there's some competition this gen. Lord knows giving either Sony or Microsoft free reign to do as they please is a fucking terrible idea. While I'm still not interested in the X1 due to their awful reveal and subsequent five lane pile-up of a PR disaster, I'm sorta relieved to see it not crash and burn. I'm not all that fussed. I won't be getting either since the PS4 doesn't seem to have any games worth a damn coming out in the foreseeable future. I'll just save my money for a new PC in a couple of years.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
CriticKitten said:
Good lord, this thread.

"It's not like Microsoft murdered your family or anything."

Can we be a tad more tasteful, please?
Strazdas said:
If i murdered somone and then said im sorry i changed and i wont do it again you would just forgive me and let me go? i doubt it. Saying you wont do it does not wash away the previuos crimes.
Oh god I need some popcorn. These posts are getting entertaining.

OT: Good for microsoft. Maybe this news will help show people the games are what matter, not the political piss fight called the console wars.

munx13

Some guy on the internet
Dec 17, 2008
Evonisia said:
munx13 said:
Gonna say the same thing I said about the PS4 launch: one million people aren't responsible with their money and are suckers for being early adopters.
And if they never bought the console, nobody would get the console when it's so much better two years later because, like the Dreamcast, it will be dead.
Doesn't change anything - buying on launch is playing a lottery without a prize.

Besides, keeping a console alive is not up to consumers - it's a product that's supposed to give you entertainment, not an obligation to risk your money so some company can stay profitable.

If a console maker wants me to buy on launch - give me proper incentives (more launch games, discounts, etc.)

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
erttheking said:
Guys? Can we chill? I'm not the biggest fan of Microsoft either, but good lord we need to keep things in perspective here. Microsoft backpedaled on most of the crappy decisions that they made regarding DRM and other crap, and it's after THAT that these sales happened. Shouldn't that set a good precedent? And please stop treating every last person who buys an Xbox one as a moron, I really hate it when people get upset that people didn't make the "right" choice when it came to a gaming platform.

Besides, if you really want the PS4 to sell better, it's sold just as much as the Xbox One, and it's only been released in a fraction of as many countries.
No, not really. There is no reason to chill when the worst option out there is selling a million on first day.
Microsoft backpedaled on some of the crappy decisions which still does not magically remove the fact that they ever though such decisions were a good idea and defended them with ferocity (to the point of telling you to move house to pay xbox). So no, selling a console from people like them is not a good precedent. it is a predecent of showing that gamers have short memory spans and forgive everything as long as you give them shiny toys.

Saucycarpdog said:
OT: Good for microsoft. Maybe this news will help show people the games are what matter, not the political piss fight called the console wars.
Which games would that be? The ones that are are out on PC as well or the ones that are touted to be so bad its amazing those people are not fired yet?
Not to even mention the fact that exclusivity is a bad thing to begin with.

munx13 said:
Doesn't change anything - buying on launch is playing a lottery without a prize.

Besides, keeping a console alive is not up to consumers - it's a product that's supposed to give you entertainment, not an obligation to risk your money so some company can stay profitable.

If a console maker wants me to buy on launch - give me proper incentives (more launch games, discounts, etc.)
There is a prize, its called being able to use the product, and 99% are winners.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
I'm getting neither at the moment but if i had to it would probably be the Xbone, i think the PS4 is the better console hardware and system software, but the Xbone has the games.

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
ProtoChimp said:
I'm sad. They're getting away with it, even that fucking price. How the hell can 1 million people worldwide even afford that? I won't be able to afford that for a long time. This is just fucking... how? Who goes along with this shit? I'm befuddled at just how willing people are to be bent over and arse raped to death by Microsoft because they simply don't know any better.

Forgive me for being massively over the top I'm just sad that they look like they're winning, despite being evil.
Wow, how quickly we forget that the ps3 was $800 when it launched...

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
I hope they enjoy their system. I just know that I personally will never buy an Xbox One - especially not after all that shit they pulled.

And no amount of backpedaling and "we changed our mind guys" can eliminate the fact that they were, no more than half a year ago, ready to fuck you in every single way you could be fucked in regards to gaming.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
That doesn't surprise me. The internet is often very loud, and can become very one-sided on certain issues, but I've seen it countless times where it turns out that the world outside of the internet doesn't, surprisingly, follow the same thinking as the internet. I know a lot of people who were super excited for the Xbox One launch, and with something this big, there was no way that everyone shared the same feelings as the apparent majority of people shouting on the internet.

I'm personally still waiting for either system to have a game library I'm excited to play before getting either one.
Agreed. People buy the console with the games they want. If they love Halo and Forza then they will buy the XB1. Same with GT on the PS4 and like wise for Mario games on the Nintendo. People moaning about it are getting as annoying as those still moaning about the ME3 ending. Seriously, if the XB1 and ME3 really effected them that badly then these people should just kill themselves because its obvious they have nothing else left in their lives. If people want to buy an XB1 then whats the big deal? I think spending money on the PS4, aka a slightly more powerful PS3, is a worse buy judging by all the things it lacks.....things that the PS3 did. But again.....its down to the games only and then you accept the negatives of that console.

For me, i agree with you, neither of the new consoles have anything worth buying. Even if a person loves Forza, its still the same tracks we have raced before so no real reason to buy a new console to play it. So i guess its a wait till next year to see whats being released or people could buy a 360/PS3 just for the huge back catalogue. So i might buy a PS3 and maybe look to next gen (current gen?) in the future.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
FriesWithThat said:
Well at least there's some competition this gen. Lord knows giving either Sony or Microsoft free reign to do as they please is a fucking terrible idea. While I'm still not interested in the X1 due to their awful reveal and subsequent five lane pile-up of a PR disaster, I'm sorta relieved to see it not crash and burn. I'm not all that fussed. I won't be getting either since the PS4 doesn't seem to have any games worth a damn coming out in the foreseeable future. I'll just save my money for a new PC in a couple of years.
Thing about sonys reveal of PS4, they had nothing to say apart from poking fun at MS mistakes. So what was their original reveal going to be? They have nothing worth saying about their console outside of graphic increase and power. But i am glad the PS4 is doing well, especially as they said if it didnt there would be no PS5. After all, sony has a bit of money problems at the moment. An we all know you cant just have one dominant console. I dont include Nintendo as they do their own thing and their 1st party titles are what sell that console.

Sidmen

Jul 3, 2012
cikame said:
I'm getting neither at the moment but if i had to it would probably be the Xbone, i think the PS4 is the better console hardware and system software, but the Xbone has the games.
What games are those? Neither console seems to have anything worth playing.

Dec 16, 2009
whats the point in these or Sony's boasts? havent these things been pre-ordered for 6 months now, how is the fact this many units shifted, news?

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
The XBox was never going to crash and burn. It has way to established a branding and a social network. It will do well. What this shows is the XBox brand while strong has lost its position of total dominance. Market anaylists predict that PS4 will win this console generation by about 15-20% in the first year. In no way a crushing defeat of MS. Simply a minor shakeup of the status quo. These launch numbers seem to be in line with those predictions.