Xbox One Won't Support SDTVs

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
CardinalPiggles said:
If you can afford a £200+ console and £40+ games then I'm sure you can afford a TV like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL20S2030-Widescreen-Bravia-Freeview/dp/B000IB59BQ/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1369264909&sr=8-12&keywords=18+inch+hdtv
I heard it was $500 or $300 plus two years live payments. Normally they just convert dollars to pounds so fuck if im spending £500 on a console. Minimum £300 and thats it. Not that im going to buy it, i rent most of my games, so unless they make retals fee free then im not interested.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Seriously, does anybody even make or sell SDTVS anymore?

It's been little over three years since I got my 32 inch HDTV, because my SD finally died, plus it was crappy playing my 360 on it anyway, even though it was 27 inches, I was out of luck reading text in most games. And since my TV was the last SD to bite the dust in my family, there really wasn't any point because it was the sound decision to upgrade to HD, considering even then, in 2010, it was pretty much impossible in my area to get another SDTV that was priced low enough to warrant not moving up to HD.

I would say that within a couple years, people truly are going to have to switch and be left behind. With the way technology is now, and how the vast majority have moved on to HD, I think this was the right and easy decision on Microsoft's part. This won't hurt their sales of the XBox One enough to matter, because considering how many gamers are, when they have no choice but to upgrade most will upgrade with in at the most short term in two years.

Even if my SDTV hadn't died, I still would have upgraded to HD, the death of the thing just bumped that time up a few months from when I had planned to upgrade.

Really, with the play, Microsoft could be a key player and finally killing off SD.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
thethird0611 said:
Oh lord, please dont be apart of that 'Xbone' group. Every time I see a post with that word in it, I immediately throw out all credibility of that post and stop reading. This also include M$ and the such. It feels sooooooooooooo immature.

But about the original topic... I cant specifically say anything good or bad about this. Many people are using Neilson ratings as their go to stat, but we also dont see how many of those people who use SD TV's actually connect an Xbox to it. With the current population, we have a LARGE amount of older adults compared to younger, and they are the most likely to have those older SD TV's.
How can you say anything about the topic if you immediately stopped reading?

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
So lets count the Market Share MS is excluding:

12% of people said no Backwards compatibility is a turn off.
However many people don't have Inet access available regularly.
Anyone who doesn't have an HDMI ready TV.
Anyone to whom Used Games are important.

Um... Microsoft, you do realize the reason the Wii won the last generation was because EVERYONE wanted and could get one, right?

It just confirms what I've already said (and Jim Sterling said it too), the Demographic for the Xbone is upper-middle and upper class families. Not gamers.

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:
If you can afford a £200+ console and £40+ games then I'm sure you can afford a TV like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL20S2030-Widescreen-Bravia-Freeview/dp/B000IB59BQ/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1369264909&sr=8-12&keywords=18+inch+hdtv
Sure they might be able to afford that too. But really, why go with a Sony HDTV? You are pointing at the high end TV market when a person can most likely get an off brand HDTV and end up paying 100 less or and it will still work just as good as the Sony.

Heck, when I got my 32 inch Insignia HDTV a little over three years ago, I payed 400 dollars then. That was only a month after my dad got a 32 inch Sony, and I would say he got robbed because he paid close to 600, because as I said my cheaper TV works just as good. Plus, my Insignia has gone through it's paces because it doesn't just get used as a TV for console gaming and watching cable, I also use it as my main PC monitor.

Adam Jensen said:
This is a bad call. A lot of people still don't have an HDTV. And if they do it's not really a good one. I have an HDTV that I bought just last year, although I'm not fuckin' interested in Xbox One. But a lot of people I know don't have an HDTV and they don't want one. They just don't see the purpose yet and it's too expensive for them. Jim Sterling is right. This console is for the rich and privileged.
It really isn't. As people in this thread have been pointing out the statistics, at least in the US, only 30% haven't moved to HD. That means Microsoft has 70% of the country to potentially have as customers. Yeah, maybe not a lot of people in the rest of the world has moved on to HD like most of the US, but the thing is that the US is the vast majority of Microsoft's market share for their consoles.

Really, if they let this new console have SD support, they would be giving people just a short lived crutch to stand in the way of progress. Not supporting SD will end up boosting the sale of HDTVs because there will be people that will not stand missing out, and that will end up making the SD percentage even smaller.

I would say if those people you are talking about that don't see a need to upgrade, don't within the next three to four years, they will be left out in the cold in the entertainment department.

People can cry rich and privileged all they want, but it means nothing, because such things have never been a thing for the masses. They are luxuries and that point can't be argued. And as with luxuries, if people want them, they have to make the decision to save and buy them.

Where you and Jim see rich and privilege, I see people that are of a group that think that they should be able to have it all and have to pay hardly anything. People need to learn to live within their means, if they can't afford it, they can't afford it. They have to do like everybody else in the same situation that know how to live in such a way, wait until you've saved to buy it.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
thethird0611 said:
Oh lord, please dont be apart of that 'Xbone' group. Every time I see a post with that word in it, I immediately throw out all credibility of that post and stop reading. This also include M$ and the such. It feels sooooooooooooo immature.
Grey is the one who actually coined the name. So technically, he's the leader of the group.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
More appealing by the second, this console! Why do I get the feeling that if they were in charge of cloning, Microsoft would make it so their clones didn't support oxygen as a breathing medium?

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
What!?
No punch card support? Then how are we supposed to save!? These newfangled so called "hard disks" might be hard, but I refuse to believe it could possibly store a whole save on it.

I'm sorry, but this is a complete dealbreaker for me.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Every article is about something this system doesn't do.... telling people what an item can't do is probably not the best sales tactic. Especially since they haven't shown anything that is unique that only the system itself can do. We know it comes with a newer Kinect, but how is it going to be utilized? So far as a really advanced remote control. How is that system storage going to be used? Why, to make game install mandatory so no one can buy used games without paying a fee, of course. It's not always on, but it will require a connection every 24 hours to verify... well just to verify for the sake of verification. But it's a "feature" that does... well, probably not a whole lot for the consumer. It just doesn't seem to be any use to the consumer. It does was TV's do! I just... wow. It's like Micro$hit doesn't even have a clue to what a consumer actually wants or even desires. In the modified words of John Mulaney, "Oh, well, this should be a very interesting system".

taciturnCandid

Dec 1, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
Sonic Doctor said:
CardinalPiggles said:

Sure they might be able to afford that too. But really, why go with a Sony HDTV? You are pointing at the high end TV market when a person can most likely get an off brand HDTV and end up paying 100 less or and it will still work just as good as the Sony.

Heck, when I got my 32 inch Insignia HDTV a little over three years ago, I payed 400 dollars then. That was only a month after my dad got a 32 inch Sony, and I would say he got robbed because he paid close to 600, because as I said my cheaper TV works just as good. Plus, my Insignia has gone through it's paces because it doesn't just get used as a TV for console gaming and watching cable, I also use it as my main PC monitor.

Adam Jensen said:
This is a bad call. A lot of people still don't have an HDTV. And if they do it's not really a good one. I have an HDTV that I bought just last year, although I'm not fuckin' interested in Xbox One. But a lot of people I know don't have an HDTV and they don't want one. They just don't see the purpose yet and it's too expensive for them. Jim Sterling is right. This console is for the rich and privileged.
It really isn't. As people in this thread have been pointing out the statistics, at least in the US, only 30% haven't moved to HD. That means Microsoft has 70% of the country to potentially have as customers. Yeah, maybe not a lot of people in the rest of the world has moved on to HD like most of the US, but the thing is that the US is the vast majority of Microsoft's market share for their consoles.

Really, if they let this new console have SD support, they would be giving people just a short lived crutch to stand in the way of progress. Not supporting SD will end up boosting the sale of HDTVs because there will be people that will not stand missing out, and that will end up making the SD percentage even smaller.

I would say if those people you are talking about that don't see a need to upgrade, don't within the next three to four years, they will be left out in the cold in the entertainment department.

People can cry rich and privileged all they want, but it means nothing, because such things have never been a thing for the masses. They are luxuries and that point can't be argued. And as with luxuries, if people want them, they have to make the decision to save and buy them.

Where you and Jim see rich and privilege, I see people that are of a group that think that they should be able to have it all and have to pay hardly anything. People need to learn to live within their means, if they can't afford it, they can't afford it. They have to do like everybody else in the same situation that know how to live in such a way, wait until you've saved to buy it.
Consoles were the poor man's gaming before this gen.

Anyone remember that? When you DIDN'T need to spend that much money to game? And how the pc was "1,000$ dollars?"

Now PC gaming is now cheap, and consoles are expensive paperweights that don't even play games anymore.

Consoles are for the rich and privileged. There is no other way about it.
Maybe dem newfangled consoles, but mah ps2 and xbox 360 work just fine with great libraries. I'm having a hard time being convinced that I need to upgrade as things like splitscreen and lan are being phased out.

You can game on the cheap due to yard sales to find cheap consoles and places like goodwill sell last generation games. I've picked up when i was much worse off things like gta vice city, sly cooper and some ps1 games.

Staying on the cutting edge will always be expensive. Buying old consoles will always be a cheap way to play games and usually is less expensive than buying a computer.

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
Sonic Doctor said:
Consoles were the poor man's gaming before this gen.

Anyone remember that? When you DIDN'T need to spend that much money to game? And how the pc was "1,000$ dollars?"

Now PC gaming is now cheap, and consoles are expensive paperweights that don't even play games anymore.

Consoles are for the rich and privileged. There is no other way about it.
Hell no they weren't. At the lowest, they were the middle class's gaming.

If you look at inflation and tech costs. Consoles are still hovering around the same prices with each generation.

Plus the thing is, game prices have stayed relatively the same in price over years on consoles(50 to 70 dollars). Considering inflation, console games are actually cheaper these days, because 50 to 70 dollars then, would be a good bit more than the 50 to 70 dollars of today.

Really, the price of games staying steady, has offset the price of consoles going up slightly. And considering the whole 500 to 600 dollar fiasco that Sony had with the PS3, I doubt Sony or Microsoft is going to price their consoles any higher than that this time around, which will by looking at inflation, make them cheaper to buy compared to several years ago.

You can't look straight at the price of each gaming generation and compare and say for sure one was cheaper or one is just too expensive compared to what it use to be. Inflation his key when trying to argue pricing.

And this case, your poor man analogy doesn't work. If consoles were the poor man's gaming, every kid in my school back in the day would have had a NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, Playstation, and so on in their respective eras. When I was a kid, I had many other kids in my class during the NES era asking to come over, because I was one of about three kids that actually had a gaming console, all he other kids didn't have one because their parents couldn't afford one.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
So, Microsoft just literally lost a sale, here. I have no HD TVs in my house, because I am a poor student, so there is literally no reason for me to buy a brick that I cannot use. Good going Microsoft. Way to alienate a huge number of potential customers. -_-

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
They keep losing customers who I know are Xbox 360 fans. So many people here in Australia have no internet and no HDTV... and yet are insanely huge fans of Xbox and the brand. These are people who could be customers. They're becoming collateral. That's... first of all, it's a shame for them, and it's a massive mistake on Xbox's part.

This thing is gonna crash and burn if it keeps going in this direction. No lie.

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
BreakfastMan said:
So, Microsoft just literally lost a sale, here. I have no HD TVs in my house, because I am a poor student, so there is literally no reason for me to buy a brick that I cannot use. Good going Microsoft. Way to alienate a huge number of potential customers. -_-
Here is something I don't get:

If you are a poor student, why would you even be considering to buy an expensive new console?

If you can't afford an HDTV, which will cost less then said new console, you shouldn't be complaining that said console needs said TV.

By pointing out that you can't afford the TV, you have rendered your point against Microsoft Invalid. Besides, just do what every other poor person I know does. If they want something that is expensive, they wait till they have saved enough, then they buy it. I did that with my 360, and then I did that with my HDTV(because I couldn't stand playing my 360 on my SDTV because it didn't work all that well with it).

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
No Dial-up? Guess they're letting the PS4 have Seattle then :p
Well they did say it wasn't backwards compatible.
Wait, what? Explain the Seattle and dial-up thing. If Seattle doesn't have decent internet options, I'm going to be pissed.

Xan Krieger said:
I can't see the difference between HDTV and SDTV so I have my SDTV and enjoy it. Just another reason I'm glad I'm upgrading my PC this year.
My mind. It is blown. When I got my first HDTV it was when I was playing Homefront. On my SDTV I could tell I was killing some sort of humanoid-like figure that was lighting sparklers off in its hand. Got the HDTV and everything was several times better.

OT: I'll admit, I don't have too much feeling about this or the lack of backwards compatibility. I always considered those types of things as nice bonuses that I will never use. I might actually be a little pissed if I ever found out it took more than minimal effort to implement either one.

Hero in a half shell said:
Also am I the only one who thinks Xbox Bum is a better degradation of Xbox One than Xbone?
I liked Xbox Done, but far be it for me to fight the winds of change.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Sonic Doctor said:
CardinalPiggles said:

When I first linked that TV it was actually still on sale for £50.

Even so I found several others that were £70-£80.

If you shopped around long enough I'm sure you could knock the price down even further. Point is, HDTV's are relatively (compared to consoles anyway) cheap these days, and you don't need a 50 inch 1080p monster for HD.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Sonic Doctor said:
BreakfastMan said:
Here is something I don't get:

If you are a poor student, why would you even be considering to buy an expensive new console?
Because I can save my pennies until I can afford to purchase it, maybe? Just like I did with literally every other console I own?
If you can't afford an HDTV, which will cost less then said new console, you shouldn't be complaining that said console needs said TV.
All of my lols. All the HDTVs of decent size I have ever seen are at least $500 or more. I don't want an HDTV, I am just fine with my SDTV, and I don't want to spend another $500 dollars at least plus whatever the XBone costs when I buy it. You are also assuming that I plan to buy it launch day. I don't, I plan to buy consoles down the line when the hardware kinks are worked out and they are cheaper (again, like I did with all my consoles), like closer to $300 or less. So, in order to actually play the damn thing, I would have to spend more than the value of the console on a TV I don't want or need. You see where the problems come in? Because there are a hell of a lot of problems with cutting out the poor and working class from buying your product, especially when you had previously made that product easily available to them.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Jesus Christ. Has it occurred to them that they'd get more sales by not putting so many arbitrary restrictions on this thing? You already can't play Xbox 360 games and now indies, rentals, SD TVs and offline are all getting the shaft as well.

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
thethird0611 said:
But that's why it is funny. Most funny things are very immature, inappropriate, blunt and sometimes offensive. Xbone it is.

And you don't really want to know how this thing is gonna be called in Brazil, because the logo places the "one" too close to the word "xbox", it reads like one weird nonsensical one word XBOXONE! Ans we pronounce the "X" more or less like you guys pronounce the "ch" in cheese.