Xbox One's Reputation System Locks Harassers Into Their Own Hell

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
Oooh sounds like a good improvement to the general multiplayer experience. Good show - finally have something nice to say about this whole system rollout.

Arif_Sohaib

Jan 16, 2011
This looks like a really good idea, the first good idea from Microsoft since the Xbox One reveal. And the people aren't even being banned, they are just put into servers with people who think like them, I think even they will have more fun like that.
Why hasn't this problem been seen on PS3, is it because of its focus on single-player content?
By the way, I am a PC exclusive gamer but would buy the PS3 and 4 for the exclusives if I could afford it.

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
Jandau said:
Is this going to be one of those systems where arseholes can gang up on people and mass report/downvote/whatever them into oblivion, with next to no oversight? It is, isn't it...
Reddit suffers the problem as you describe it. Microsoft would be wise to look at them and consider how they avoid that pitfall.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
Microsoft has a good idea regarding the XBone?!?

WHAT'S HAPPENING!?!?

Seriously, though...this is good to hear. It's not enough to make me reverse my decision that buying a PS4 is the better option, but at least they're releasing information on policies that are good for the players instead of just continuing their bad PR/marketing streak.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
Is anyone actually going to read that it isnt an automated system? It probably works that when a Xbox Live mod investigates you, they can drop you down a level if they see something wrong.

Seriously, all the freaking Microsoft haters on this freakin site.

And no, I dont intend to get an X1, but fucking seriously, please read and say "Oh, thats a good thing, except for the rest of your console."

EDIT: Only read the first page, mah bad awesome people at the top of Page 2. Just got off my run and feel exhausted.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
southparkdudz said:
They do realize they are making an Xbox right? Jesus Christ the moment you buy an Xbox you tell the store clerk that he is a camping Twat for staying behind the counter for to many seconds. I'm sorry but 90% of the people who are going to buy a xbox one swear like a sailor.
As fun as overgeneralizations are, my experience has been that most people don't talk at all. And the ones that do are promptly muted if they're annoying/blasting crappy music.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
How dare they... griefing is a legitimate recreational activity!

That and think of how many people are going to abuse the system to take down anyone who beats them, really good players could get in hot water fast for "cheating".

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
I would hope that reputation also affects ones ability to judge the reputation of others. I can see a lot of assholes just throwing out negative points everywhere. I'd be more comfortable knowing they can't do a whole lot of damage.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Like everyone else I think it sounds nice, but can't function without alot of man power and moderation on MS's part. I recall playing a FPS for the first time, I think it was a F2P game or something, and I sucked at it. No, I was getting my butt kicked left and right for nearly an hour. From match to match I slowly got better. Fast forward and I got into a match where I hit my stride. I started getting more kills than deaths. When the match ended I got message from a player on the opposite team "You're a hacker, I'm going to report you." I tried to respond, but he had blocked me. Seems I had killed him more than 4 times in the previous match. I do well in one match out of six (or eight) and I'm suddenly a hacker? Nothing came of it, but just sore losers or jerks might abuse such a system. Is MS going to investigate each claim? Maybe they're going to use the Kinetic 2.0 to confirm things. That would make sense. Playback of the incident through their all seeing eye.

BlackMageBob

Nov 28, 2009
Hah. This sounds great. You mean I'll have to abuse a few casuals before I'm shunted into a hardcore-only bracket?

Fuck yes.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Suave Charlie said:
Oh good, so when I consistently win in multi I'll have sour kids downvote/rep/whatever me. Great system, can't be abused at all.
On gears 3 I'd have a rage message at least once a day, never did anything to provoke, just played the game. But I can guarantee that people who enjoyed playing with me didn't upvote me, so as far as this sort of system is concerned I'm just a raging asshole who a lot of people hate.

Brilliant.
You are assuming that it will work through votes. If that is true then Microsoft's new system is a failure before it even begins. I don't think they are taking such a simple approach though. Either way it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Angelous Wang said:
Except assholes are assholes and will happily abuse the system to Reputation down all the non-assholes too, just so they can continue to be assholes to them.

Especially since they do like to work in packs on the 360, like Hyenas. Means they can ruin your rep allot easier than your one vote against them.
Most of my negative feedback on the 360 is due to "trash talking," which is funny considering I rarely use a mic outside of parties with my friends. Several of my friends have this as well. So yeah, I can imagine this will be a clusterfuck once people decide to start abusing it.

Also, I'm yet to see a single person get so much as a suspension for sexual/racial/sexuality base harassment. Including this one dude who kept stalking me and sending me messages calling me a ****** (and telling me to kill myself or die or whatever else he could come up with). They say they take this seriously, but...I don't believe them.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Sounds a good idea to me, something MS have done right! However it will really be Call of Duty: Ghosts - as there will be no one on it!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Amir Kondori said:
You are assuming that it will work through votes.
Because they're naming it after their current system that relies on user feedback (votes).

Even the statements seem to imply this. The only exception is the bit about it not being automatic, and that is proceeded by a statement that makes it look less than reviewed.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
lacktheknack said:
**snip**

It's non-automated, so it can't be abused from the player-end. It's based on "offenses", so it's reviewed by a moderator.

There's a terrible plague circulating these forums, and its main symptom is "inability to read the OP". Keep yourself safe, folks: Don't just skim the first post before offering your stance.
I see this a lot on this forum. Especially when it has to do with the XBone. I get it, people here don't like microsoft and are happy to bash it every chance they get. It doesn't matter what the OP says, they'll ignore it anyway or read what they want out of it. Sad really because to hate something at all takes an amount of caring and that takes energy. Energy best spent on something else.
OT: I've read the numerous responses on the XBL's current rep system... I have played since 2007 online, many different MP matches and styles and have yet to dip below 5 stars, even when I was running the maps in FFA/TD Modern Warfare 2. It makes me wonder what games these low rep "great people" played and how. Mass rep reporting just seems like something the XBLPET would catch on to and adjust accordingly.

actar411

Apr 14, 2010
The only thing that I don't like about this is that occasionally, especially when I'm playing SWAT, I get frustrated and swear complaining of my own skill level. I don't want to end up with the people that would call me a "******" or any other derogatory word. I think that swearing should just be looked at as normal. It's the insults that matter.

Subscriptism

May 5, 2012
I can't imagine anything better than throwing all the vulgar twelve year old in one eternal gaming pit of hell.