Yahtzee Answers Your Questions About Mogworld

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
the bit at 5:06 made me laugh really hard. Im intresting in this book, for the concept behind it alone.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
As far as I can tell, this is going to be like a cross between Articulate Jim and ZP. Sucks that I have a wait an extra month to get it though, just because I'm living in the UK. I would have thought Yahtzee would understand how much of a pain that is, considering the release of games in Australia.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
If I can get it over here I will. If not, well... I won't. Mwah, I'll get it eventually. Hoorah, ABC has it.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
"...That's not really a spoiler."

:( YES IT IS. Okay, I kinda caught that from the sample chapters.
How does a person half-a-globe away from Australia and that doesn't buy from the internet get the book? Huh? HUH?

...I'll work something out.

jords

Once mauled a bear
Oct 20, 2008
Preordered from amazon. Book: 8 dollars. Shipping: 10 dollars. NZ sucks sometimes :(

Proarcher

Jan 24, 2010
Daemascus said:
Its weird, even though I know Yahtzee is a real person I always think of him as the amnimation from ZP. And I am so ordering his book.
I used to think the same way, however since now I've met him in person once or twice at the Mana Bar I know him as his awesome self. But to me, still, some part of him will always be the animation. XD

Betancore

Apr 23, 2010
Wasn't going to get this since I didn't want to order online, but it turns out Melbourne's dear pop culture store, Minotaur, will be stocking this. Awesome. Now to sit around twiddling my thumbs for the next few weeks until it comes out.

ucciolord1

Mar 26, 2009
I totally agree on the sex crime thing.
Good thing you're not a close relative LOLJK I would never... ha...
hahaha...

Smallells

Feb 18, 2010
So we're going to read a paper version of a World of Warcraft Zero Punctuation review? That's going to be hard trying to read the book with Yahtzee's voice.

Anacortian

May 19, 2009
Spot1990 said:
Anacortian said:
DPutna17 said:
Anacortian said:
MMORPG (pronounced emmemmoharpeegee) is not an acronym.

Yahtzee usual treatment (pronounced memmorpegga) is.

To use another example: FBI (effbee-aye) is merely an abbreviation, but FBI (fbee) would be an acronym.
Nope. MMORPG is in fact an acronym which is a type of abbreviation. Memmorpegga is simply the phonetic way to pronounce the acronym and is not an abbreviation or acronym.
Incorrect, please read a dictionary.

"a word formed from the initial letters or groups of letters of words in a set phrase or series of words"

Thus, when saying MMORPG as Yahtzee usually says it (as if it was one word), MMORPG is an acronym; when stating each letter in the series, it is but an abbreviation. If you are not pronouncing it the letters as if they were parts of a single word, it is not an acronym.

As pronounced
not pronounced asacronym---pronounced as acronym---abbreviation in question
effbee aye-----------------fby---------------------FBI
emmemmoharpeegee-----------memmorpegga-------------MMORPG
enayessay------------------nasa--------------------NASA
yewessay-------------------oosah-------------------USA
yewen----------------------un----------------------UN
araydee ayar---------------raydar------------------RADAR
see aye a------------------see a-------------------CIA
dee you eye----------------dooy--------------------DUI
emmayedeedee---------------mad---------------------MADD

(The above table looked better on the edit screen, but I cannot make it look good post post. Just assume that the hyphens separate columns and that the columns actually line-up with one another.)

So we see that (conventionally) NASA, RADAR, and MADD are acronyms; FBI, USA, UN, and CIA are not. DUI is often used both as an acronym and not. MMORPG is often used as an acronym by Yahtzee, but is not in the above-mentioned case, and is conventionally not.
Would it not just be easier to say that an abbreviation is when the initials are pronounced individually and an acronym is when the initials are pronounced as a word?

With WWF you say each letter individually whereas with RADAR you just pronounce it as a word.
Yes, yes it would, but I rarely find that it gets the point across.