You Are Probably Not Using Internet Explorer to Read This

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
You Are Probably Not Using Internet Explorer to Read This

For the first time since Netscape, less than half the people browsing the web use Internet Explorer.

At one point in the 1990s, Microsoft's Internet Explorer enjoyed an almost 90 percent market share for web browsers. For many users, that blue "E" icon was synonymous with "internet." The ubiquitousness of Microsoft's browser and its policy of bundling it with the Windows operating system is what led to the famous antitrust trials last decade. But now, with the growth in popularity of Google's Chrome, Apple's Safari and Mozilla's Firefox, Explorer's kung fu grip on the internet is loosening. Explorer was only used by 49.9 percent of users in the month of September, according to StatCounter.

"This is certainly a milestone in the internet browser wars," said StatCounter's CEO, Aodhan Cullen. "Just two years ago Internet Explorer dominated the worldwide market with 67 percent."

It's important to note that stat-tracking of this kind is not an exact science, and that other internet statistics still places Explorer on top. For example, Net Applications reports that IE is still being used by 59.7 percent of the web-browsing audience. [http://marketshare.hitslink.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=0]

Still, Explorer is losing ground. And given its lack of innovation and general slowness when compared to Chrome and Firefox, it's not hard to see why.

Source: CNN [http://money.cnn.com/2010/10/06/technology/internet_explorer_market_share/index.htm?hpt=T2]

theevilsanta

Jun 18, 2010
Well obviously readers of a video game website aren't. I'm using Chrome atm. Firefox and I aren't on speak terms right now.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
HA, jokes on you, I am using Internet Explorer

just kidding, but now, seriously, I'm very fond of Opera, I find it to be an excellent explorer all around, though I do use IE for webs that dont work very well with opera, like the System Requirements Lab and stuff (stuff would be Robot Unicorn Attack game ^-^)

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
49.9% is still the biggest market share, though. Obviously with three other browsers named in the article and even more out there than that, there isn't one other browser that everyone else is using for the 50.1% remaining. Nice to see that IE is slowly moving closer to dying in a fire though. The only thing it's good for is using to download another browser.

Although to that 49.9% of people, what's wrong with you? Get Chrome or Firefox right now!

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Safari (Mac), Firefox annoys me these days. Its like the new IE.

*runs for cover*

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
I'm forced to use IE here at work because my workplace won't download another browser
At home though I used to use Firefox until it started jumping to any possible search bar that was on a web page. I've since switched to Chrome. I don't mind it, but if FF started working again I'd probably go back to it

drbarno

Nov 18, 2009
I'm using Firefox, actually only started regularly using it because IE went through a phase of continually freezing every 5 mintues.

Rhymenoceros

Jul 8, 2009
I'm on chrome personally (it's the only web browser that loads webpages at a half decent spped on my Craptop)

I'm not surprised it's fallen that low to be honest. The only reason I think it's still that high is because the older generations (50+) as a generalisation wont bother changing browser from whatever came with their computor in the 80's
/stereotype

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
I've seen some awesome IE9 marketing (features they say will be there, but beta installer failed in a really miserable way). I hope it gets a lot faster then, because I'm so sick of installing Chrome at every place I go. As a matter of fact, I haven't seen IE8 work normally at all (well, the optimization and debugging department). It is either painfully slow or leaves resource hogging processes of itself even if you close all its windows.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
Simply put, I don't really like IE. It's just slow and cumbersome. Firefox all the way, for me =D