You Can Now Find "Woot" in a Dictionary

Brian Albert

New member
Aug 5, 2011
116
0
0
You Can Now Find "Woot" in a Dictionary



The <a href=http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Concise-Oxford-English-Dictionary/Oxford-Dictionaries-Staff/e/9780199601080?r=1&cm_mmc=Google%20Product%20Search-_-Q000000630-_-Concise%20Oxford%20English%20Dictionary-_-9780199601080>Concise Oxford English Dictionary has officially been updated with a healthy dose of internet lingo.

Published this month, the twelfth edition of the Concise Oxford English Dictionary has been updated to include over 400 new words. Among them are "retweet," "woot," "noob," "cyberbullying," "sexting," and many others related to social media and internet culture. "Mankini" also made the cut, thankfully.

"Retweet that picture of me in my mankini or I'll sext and cyberbully you, noob!" is now a proper English sentence.

The dictionary has also been updated with new definitions for the words "follower" and "friend" - the latter being ridiculously diluted by a certain social network. These additions, according to the folks behind it, "are just carrying on the tradition of a dictionary that has always sought to be progressive and up to date."

It's important to note many of these words were already part of Oxford's online dictionary. The printed version in which these additional words will appear requires more time and deliberation between volumes.

So, what does this mean for you, the gamer?

If you've played Call of Duty: Black Ops for, oh, any period of time, you've certainly encountered homophobic, sexist, and racist children (and adults, too, sadly) who spit countless internet epithets your way without regard for the English language.

Well, they're still homophobic, sexist, and racist. But now, thanks to the modernization of the dictionary, many of their insults will at least constitute proper English. So there's that.

Source: Oxford Dictionaries via <a href=http://digitallife.today.com/_news/2011/08/18/7407194-retweet-woot-and-cyberbullying-added-to-dictionary?GT1=43001>Digital Life

Image

Permalink
 

DEAD34345

New member
Aug 18, 2010
1,929
0
0
Sorry, but I lost all respect for dictionaries when "bootylicious" became a recognised word (in the Oxford dictionary no less).

This sounds good and all, until you realise those words are only now being treated with the same amount of validity as "bootylicious".

[HEADING=1]Bootylicious![/HEADING]

[sub]Just typing it makes me feel ill.[/sub]
 

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
4,806
0
0
mariofan1000 said:
Ninja'd by the first comment. Plus it's low content.
I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's good in moderation, but these things can ruin a language, it's already ruined Swedish spelling.
 

thiosk

New member
Sep 18, 2008
5,410
0
0
mariofan1000 said:
If there was ever a reason for a low content post,
this is it.

Woot. I like woot. Do you like woot? Woot with me now my wooters.
 

King Toasty

New member
Oct 2, 2010
1,527
0
0
lunncal said:
Sorry, but I lost all respect for dictionaries when "bootylicious" became a recognised word (in the Oxford dictionary no less).

This sounds good and all, until you realise those words are only now being treated with the same amount of validity as "bootylicious".

[HEADING=1]Bootylicious![/HEADING]

[sub]Just typing it makes me feel ill.[/sub]
That... that's not true, is it?


...





Oh god it is. What have we become.
 

Rubashov

New member
Jun 23, 2010
174
0
0
Languages evolve, and to remain relevant, dictionaries must evolve with their corresponding languages.
 

DEAD34345

New member
Aug 18, 2010
1,929
0
0
King Toasty said:
lunncal said:
Sorry, but I lost all respect for dictionaries when "bootylicious" became a recognised word (in the Oxford dictionary no less).

This sounds good and all, until you realise those words are only now being treated with the same amount of validity as "bootylicious".

[HEADING=1]Bootylicious![/HEADING]

[sub]Just typing it makes me feel ill.[/sub]
That... that's not true, is it?


...





Oh god it is. What have we become.
You're OK, you're Canadian, you can just wash your hands of this whole monstrosity. I'm English, and this is our dictionary. I used to be proud of my county but now... I just don't know any more.

The Oxford dictionary used to mean something. Now, any old word can get in there.
 

Kimarous

New member
Sep 23, 2009
2,011
0
0
I just got an amusing image of how people will speak in the next few decades. Imagine, if you will, a high-class business executive referring to an under-performing employee as a "herpaderping noob lol".
 

teqrevisited

New member
Mar 17, 2010
2,343
0
0
Whilst the evolution of language is inevitable, there's nothing that says I can't bloody detest it.

I'll take that woot and shove it right past that mankini so hard that they'll be retweeting until they have it surgically removed.
 

Quaxar

New member
Sep 21, 2009
3,949
0
0
Grmph, took me 5 minutes to get that "retweed" had nothing to do with whatever ret-weed was supposed to be on the internet but has to do with Twitter.

Woot, I'm a noob. Please don't cyberbully me. Kthx.
By Ceiling Cat, if kthx isn't in that dictionary I swear I'm going to buy the one from Cambridge!
 

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
21,802
0
0
Abengoshis said:
AHA! This means I have more words for scrabble. :D
i hadnt realised. hooray!
well, at least that the language of the internet is improving. by making language our ***** and conforming to us.
is our next act to change the value of pi to 3.1416?
 

xXAsherahXx

New member
Apr 8, 2010
1,799
0
0
God dammit, what the hell Oxford? What are you, a 16 year old girl with a small purse!? They are not words. W00t? really? There are numbers in that "word." Next thing to happen would be admitting numbers in the words for numbers. Example: TH1RT3EN.

...You people don't know what English is and you guys invented the damn language!!

The dictionary should have ended once "Flapper-girl" was admitted. It sounds like a dolphin.

Sorry for the rant, I love my language.
 

Catchy Slogan

New member
Jun 17, 2009
1,933
0
0
If you're going to blame anyone, blame internet culture, for it being so popular. The guys and gals at Oxford Dictionary are only doing what is required of any dictionary, updating it with new words as our language evolves.

It's not the end of the world.

It's just a definition.

Get over it.
 

ace_of_something

New member
Sep 19, 2008
5,995
0
0
I remember when woot was supposed to be a victory cry meaning 'take all the Women & Treasure' (a sideways ampersand looks like two 00's in certain fonts) Least the first time i heard it, in the long long ago, that's how it was explained to me. I think this was in 97 or 98 I believe it was the first tribes game.
 

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
845
0
0
Kimarous said:
I just got an amusing image of how people will speak in the next few decades. Imagine, if you will, a high-class business executive referring to an under-performing employee as a "herpaderping noob lol".
Quite possibly the funniest thing I've read all day. Good show sir.
 

Brian Albert

New member
Aug 5, 2011
116
0
0
Kimarous said:
I just got an amusing image of how people will speak in the next few decades. Imagine, if you will, a high-class business executive referring to an under-performing employee as a "herpaderping noob lol".
"No Fred! No more apologizing! You have herped and derped your way through this company since day one, sexting on the job is not ok! Get out of here you noob!"

Fred: "Woot, no more work for me then!"
 

megamanenm

New member
Apr 7, 2009
487
0
0
xXAsherahXx said:
God dammit, what the hell Oxford? What are you, a 16 year old girl with a small purse!? They are not words. W00t? really? There are numbers in that "word." Next thing to happen would be admitting numbers in the words for numbers. Example: TH1RT3EN.

...You people don't know what English is and you guys invented the damn language!!

The dictionary should have ended once "Flapper-girl" was admitted. It sounds like a dolphin.

Sorry for the rant, I love my language.
It's called being up to date, and yes they ARE words, a meaningful unit of speech used to form sentences, what else would they be? And they admitted 'woot', not 'w00t'. And since when did they create the English language?

You just need to expect that new words are constantly created, and they either have to add them, or become outdated.
 

CrashBang

New member
Jun 15, 2009
2,604
0
0
I love this. The English language is ever-evolving and it's good that professional linguists understand this and act on it. That doesn't mean that text language should be permitted as a way of writing, nor should spelling or grammar be changed, but new-age words being included in the dictionary? Hell yes!
 

Epitome

New member
Jul 17, 2009
703
0
0
I can't wait till "Sexting" wins a game of scrabble somewhere...

W00t is gone so mainstream now, I need a new expression of joy.
 

xXAsherahXx

New member
Apr 8, 2010
1,799
0
0
megamanenm said:
xXAsherahXx said:
God dammit, what the hell Oxford? What are you, a 16 year old girl with a small purse!? They are not words. W00t? really? There are numbers in that "word." Next thing to happen would be admitting numbers in the words for numbers. Example: TH1RT3EN.

...You people don't know what English is and you guys invented the damn language!!

The dictionary should have ended once "Flapper-girl" was admitted. It sounds like a dolphin.

Sorry for the rant, I love my language.
It's called being up to date, and yes they ARE words, a meaningful unit of speech used to form sentences, what else would they be? And they admitted 'woot', not 'w00t'. And since when did they create the English language?

You just need to expect that new words are constantly created, and they either have to add them, or become outdated.
I'm pretty sure the English invented English, Oxford ENGLISH dictionary.

Anyways, I don't give a shit about that part. I won't except that the basis of a word in my language has origins on Facebook and Xbox Live. It can be updated, but that doesn't mean that literally every word a teenager invents should be part of it.
 

Amphoteric

New member
Jun 8, 2010
1,277
0
0
xXAsherahXx said:
megamanenm said:
xXAsherahXx said:
God dammit, what the hell Oxford? What are you, a 16 year old girl with a small purse!? They are not words. W00t? really? There are numbers in that "word." Next thing to happen would be admitting numbers in the words for numbers. Example: TH1RT3EN.

...You people don't know what English is and you guys invented the damn language!!

The dictionary should have ended once "Flapper-girl" was admitted. It sounds like a dolphin.

Sorry for the rant, I love my language.
It's called being up to date, and yes they ARE words, a meaningful unit of speech used to form sentences, what else would they be? And they admitted 'woot', not 'w00t'. And since when did they create the English language?

You just need to expect that new words are constantly created, and they either have to add them, or become outdated.
I'm pretty sure the English invented English, Oxford ENGLISH dictionary.

Anyways, I don't give a shit about that part. I won't except that the basis of a word in my language has origins on Facebook and Xbox Live. It can be updated, but that doesn't mean that literally every word a teenager invents should be part of it.
If a word becomes commonplace to use then it should be in the dictionary. That is the entire purpose of a dictionary. A record of words in our language.

I hear noob constantly, therefore it should be in the dictionary.
 

megamanenm

New member
Apr 7, 2009
487
0
0
xXAsherahXx said:
megamanenm said:
xXAsherahXx said:
God dammit, what the hell Oxford? What are you, a 16 year old girl with a small purse!? They are not words. W00t? really? There are numbers in that "word." Next thing to happen would be admitting numbers in the words for numbers. Example: TH1RT3EN.

...You people don't know what English is and you guys invented the damn language!!

The dictionary should have ended once "Flapper-girl" was admitted. It sounds like a dolphin.

Sorry for the rant, I love my language.
It's called being up to date, and yes they ARE words, a meaningful unit of speech used to form sentences, what else would they be? And they admitted 'woot', not 'w00t'. And since when did they create the English language?

You just need to expect that new words are constantly created, and they either have to add them, or become outdated.
I'm pretty sure the English invented English, Oxford ENGLISH dictionary.

Anyways, I don't give a shit about that part. I won't except that the basis of a word in my language has origins on Facebook and Xbox Live. It can be updated, but that doesn't mean that literally every word a teenager invents should be part of it.
Well from the way you worded that you said that Oxford invented English. And it's not like they're adding words used exclusively as an in-joke from a small forum or something, they're including words that are now widely known by people who frequent the internet.
 

Brian Albert

New member
Aug 5, 2011
116
0
0
It really goes to show that English is never proper and it is something that is always evolving and should be used creatively.
 

xXAsherahXx

New member
Apr 8, 2010
1,799
0
0
megamanenm said:
xXAsherahXx said:
megamanenm said:
xXAsherahXx said:
God dammit, what the hell Oxford? What are you, a 16 year old girl with a small purse!? They are not words. W00t? really? There are numbers in that "word." Next thing to happen would be admitting numbers in the words for numbers. Example: TH1RT3EN.

...You people don't know what English is and you guys invented the damn language!!

The dictionary should have ended once "Flapper-girl" was admitted. It sounds like a dolphin.

Sorry for the rant, I love my language.
It's called being up to date, and yes they ARE words, a meaningful unit of speech used to form sentences, what else would they be? And they admitted 'woot', not 'w00t'. And since when did they create the English language?

You just need to expect that new words are constantly created, and they either have to add them, or become outdated.
I'm pretty sure the English invented English, Oxford ENGLISH dictionary.

Anyways, I don't give a shit about that part. I won't except that the basis of a word in my language has origins on Facebook and Xbox Live. It can be updated, but that doesn't mean that literally every word a teenager invents should be part of it.
Well from the way you worded that you said that Oxford invented English. And it's not like they're adding words used exclusively as an in-joke from a small forum or something, they're including words that are now widely known by people who frequent the internet.
It just infuriates me is all. Next thing you know "PWND" or "PWNS" will you in there.
 

megamanenm

New member
Apr 7, 2009
487
0
0
xXAsherahXx said:
megamanenm said:
xXAsherahXx said:
megamanenm said:
xXAsherahXx said:
God dammit, what the hell Oxford? What are you, a 16 year old girl with a small purse!? They are not words. W00t? really? There are numbers in that "word." Next thing to happen would be admitting numbers in the words for numbers. Example: TH1RT3EN.

...You people don't know what English is and you guys invented the damn language!!

The dictionary should have ended once "Flapper-girl" was admitted. It sounds like a dolphin.

Sorry for the rant, I love my language.
It's called being up to date, and yes they ARE words, a meaningful unit of speech used to form sentences, what else would they be? And they admitted 'woot', not 'w00t'. And since when did they create the English language?

You just need to expect that new words are constantly created, and they either have to add them, or become outdated.
I'm pretty sure the English invented English, Oxford ENGLISH dictionary.

Anyways, I don't give a shit about that part. I won't except that the basis of a word in my language has origins on Facebook and Xbox Live. It can be updated, but that doesn't mean that literally every word a teenager invents should be part of it.
Well from the way you worded that you said that Oxford invented English. And it's not like they're adding words used exclusively as an in-joke from a small forum or something, they're including words that are now widely known by people who frequent the internet.
It just infuriates me is all. Next thing you know "PWND" or "PWNS" will you in there.
Tell me, what exactly makes you so angry about this?
 

xXAsherahXx

New member
Apr 8, 2010
1,799
0
0
megamanenm said:
xXAsherahXx said:
megamanenm said:
xXAsherahXx said:
megamanenm said:
xXAsherahXx said:
God dammit, what the hell Oxford? What are you, a 16 year old girl with a small purse!? They are not words. W00t? really? There are numbers in that "word." Next thing to happen would be admitting numbers in the words for numbers. Example: TH1RT3EN.

...You people don't know what English is and you guys invented the damn language!!

The dictionary should have ended once "Flapper-girl" was admitted. It sounds like a dolphin.

Sorry for the rant, I love my language.
It's called being up to date, and yes they ARE words, a meaningful unit of speech used to form sentences, what else would they be? And they admitted 'woot', not 'w00t'. And since when did they create the English language?

You just need to expect that new words are constantly created, and they either have to add them, or become outdated.
I'm pretty sure the English invented English, Oxford ENGLISH dictionary.

Anyways, I don't give a shit about that part. I won't except that the basis of a word in my language has origins on Facebook and Xbox Live. It can be updated, but that doesn't mean that literally every word a teenager invents should be part of it.
Well from the way you worded that you said that Oxford invented English. And it's not like they're adding words used exclusively as an in-joke from a small forum or something, they're including words that are now widely known by people who frequent the internet.
It just infuriates me is all. Next thing you know "PWND" or "PWNS" will you in there.
Tell me, what exactly makes you so angry about this?
I get angry because this is the type of language used when an Xbox Live addict kills a noob or is killed and called one. "Woot, I pwnd u"

It is also the same language teenagers on Facebook use. I already hate Facebook for having too many douchebags there, hearing that the language they use is part of mine is unacceptable.
 
Feb 13, 2008
19,430
0
0
Lord Mountbatten Reborn said:
lunncal said:
The Oxford dictionary used to mean something. Now, any old word can get in there.
I'm sure many others in the past also said the same thing about words we use every day without compunction.
Like Xerox, Hoover etc.

Or color. I hear they're even putting that misspelt word in there. ;)
 

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
845
0
0
Amphoteric said:
If a word becomes commonplace to use then it should be in the dictionary. That is the entire purpose of a dictionary. A record of words in our language.

I hear noob constantly, therefore it should be in the dictionary.
Have you considered getting better at games?

lol jks
 

OmniscientOstrich

New member
Jan 6, 2011
2,879
0
0
Yeah, I stopped being surprised about this sort of thing when 'Bouncebackability' was officially recognised as a word.
 
Jun 24, 2009
349
0
0
I really have lost all respect for Oxford at this point. Just because a word is used a lot doesn't mean it's legitimate. Slang terms like that change too much to be included in a dictionary.
 

A Pious Cultist

New member
Jul 4, 2009
1,103
0
0
"noob" belongs. Though I'm honestly not sure what the fuck is going on with these news stories about "britneyfication" (a term that no one has ever used and which will clearly die out) and "retweet" (a term that no one has ever used in any other context than on Twitter and that will clearly die on when the site does) being included. I'd like to assume they're bullshit but that was be a bit presumtious. Surely there must be a full story though, right? Right?!
 

ExplosiveTiger

New member
Jul 4, 2011
22
0
0
Amphoteric said:
If a word becomes commonplace to use then it should be in the dictionary. That is the entire purpose of a dictionary. A record of words in our language.

I hear noob constantly, therefore it should be in the dictionary.
I believe "newbie" is in the Oxford dictionary, same word really.
 

HardkorSB

New member
Mar 18, 2010
1,477
0
0
Brian Albert said:
You Can Now Find "Woot" in a Dictionary



The <a href=http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Concise-Oxford-English-Dictionary/Oxford-Dictionaries-Staff/e/9780199601080?r=1&cm_mmc=Google%20Product%20Search-_-Q000000630-_-Concise%20Oxford%20English%20Dictionary-_-9780199601080>Concise Oxford English Dictionary has officially been updated with a healthy dose of internet lingo.

Published this month, the twelfth edition of the Concise Oxford English Dictionary has been updated to include over 400 new words. Among them are "retweet," "woot," "noob," "cyberbullying," "sexting," and many others related to social media and internet culture. "Mankini" also made the cut, thankfully.

"Retweet that picture of me in my mankini or I'll sext and cyberbully you, noob!" is now a proper English sentence.

The dictionary has also been updated with new definitions for the words "follower" and "friend" - the latter being ridiculously diluted by a certain social network. These additions, according to the folks behind it, "are just carrying on the tradition of a dictionary that has always sought to be progressive and up to date."

It's important to note many of these words were already part of Oxford's online dictionary. The printed version in which these additional words will appear requires more time and deliberation between volumes.

So, what does this mean for you, the gamer?

If you've played Call of Duty: Black Ops for, oh, any period of time, you've certainly encountered homophobic, sexist, and racist children (and adults, too, sadly) who spit countless internet epithets your way without regard for the English language.

Well, they're still homophobic, sexist, and racist. But now, thanks to the modernization of the dictionary, many of their insults will at least constitute proper English. So there's that.

Source: Oxford Dictionaries via <a href=http://digitallife.today.com/_news/2011/08/18/7407194-retweet-woot-and-cyberbullying-added-to-dictionary?GT1=43001>Digital Life

Image

Permalink
Every new word started off as a slang word. Then, if more and more people started to use it, it became common, and after a few years or maybe a generation, it became part of the language.
That's how things go with languages.

If these words will stop being used then they will not be put in the new dictionaries and will disappear from the language.
 

Beryl77

New member
Mar 26, 2010
1,599
0
0
Some people are really overreacting. It's just written in the dictionary, it's not like the language is ruined now. It simply has additional words.
I bet in the past, there have always been people who have reacted like many in this thread when new words had been added to the dictionary, words which are normal to us now. A language always changes, get over it.
Most people who think those words aren't worthy of being written in there, just think like that because these words are new and they haven't seen them being used anywhere else except childish situations. Just because at the moment these words are mostly used in online games and internet forums, doesn't mean that it will stay like that forever. What if in 30 years, "noob" is a common word, that's being used in everyday language?
 

DEAD34345

New member
Aug 18, 2010
1,929
0
0
Lord Mountbatten Reborn said:
lunncal said:
The Oxford dictionary used to mean something. Now, any old word can get in there.
I'm sure many others in the past also said the same thing about words we use every day without compunction.
Yes, and I have nothing against that. When a word is commonly used, it has every right to be in the dictionary.

... but: [HEADING=2]Bootylicious!?[/HEADING]

No true human has ever spoken that word apart from to condemn its usage. It should not be in the dictionary.

[sub]And now I need to go take a shower because I typed it again.[/sub]
 

Foxbat Flyer

New member
Jul 9, 2009
538
0
0
awesome in some contexts, but not so awesome in others... maybe now i can stop being my parents dictionary for these words... w00t
 

Ickorus

New member
Mar 9, 2009
2,887
0
0
Sure words like woot and noob are perfectly fine in my opinion but words like retweet shouldn't be in there since it's only relevant to twitter.
 

zehydra

New member
Oct 25, 2009
5,033
0
0
Noob is a good addition, since it has widespread use throughout gaming culture, and has already deviated somewhat from it's original sole meaning of "newcomer".
 

zehydra

New member
Oct 25, 2009
5,033
0
0
Randomeaninglessword said:
I really have lost all respect for Oxford at this point. Just because a word is used a lot doesn't mean it's legitimate. Slang terms like that change too much to be included in a dictionary.
and what constitutes a legitimate word? And who decides? Language is not one of those things where "proper language" will change when a dictionary organization decides to update its vocab list.

Language will not, and cannot be regulated, only taught.
 

The Random One

New member
May 29, 2008
3,310
0
0
Randomeaninglessword said:
I really have lost all respect for Oxford at this point. Just because a word is used a lot doesn't mean it's legitimate.
Then... what makes a word legitimate? Being used a lot by people who wear ties and drink wine? A dictionary is supposed to reflect language, not dictate it.

I'm angrier at the inclusion of cyberbullying. I'm tired of cyber- being used as a prefix to mean 'the word that follows, only through/near a computer'.
 

Brian Albert

New member
Aug 5, 2011
116
0
0
Good. They are words people use and it's their responsibility to document those words. Go back 100 years and see what words you take for granted that snobs (like you) would have complained about. Language is constantly evolving, particularly English.
 

Chamale

New member
Sep 9, 2009
1,345
0
0
xXAsherahXx said:
God dammit, what the hell Oxford? What are you, a 16 year old girl with a small purse!? They are not words. W00t? really? There are numbers in that "word." Next thing to happen would be admitting numbers in the words for numbers. Example: TH1RT3EN.

...You people don't know what English is and you guys invented the damn language!!

The dictionary should have ended once "Flapper-girl" was admitted. It sounds like a dolphin.

Sorry for the rant, I love my language.
I'faith, by Iesu, Shakespeare! Art thou a maiden of six-and-ten years? They are not words. Rant? Verily? An thou'lt mouth that "word." All as next'ld be admitting accents in the French words. Example: Café.

... You know not the wot of English, and you fellows created the By-Our-Lady language!!

The Tale Alphabeticall should have ended once "Chair-man" was admitted. It has the hearkening of a carpenter.

Pray forgiveness for the defyance, I shall not see my language prophaned.

Languages change.
 

Lillowh

New member
Oct 22, 2007
255
0
0
xXAsherahXx said:
I get angry because this is the type of language used when an Xbox Live addict kills a noob or is killed and called one. "Woot, I pwnd u"

It is also the same language teenagers on Facebook use. I already hate Facebook for having too many douchebags there, hearing that the language they use is part of mine is unacceptable.

STOP LIKING THINGS THAT I DON'T LIKE
Fix'd.
OT: This is neat that they are trying to keep up with the times. English is an incredibly adaptable language and it's fun to watch things change and evolve.
 

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
3,691
0
0
Chamale said:
xXAsherahXx said:
God dammit, what the hell Oxford? What are you, a 16 year old girl with a small purse!? They are not words. W00t? really? There are numbers in that "word." Next thing to happen would be admitting numbers in the words for numbers. Example: TH1RT3EN.

...You people don't know what English is and you guys invented the damn language!!

The dictionary should have ended once "Flapper-girl" was admitted. It sounds like a dolphin.

Sorry for the rant, I love my language.
I'faith, by Iesu, Shakespeare! Art thou a maiden of six-and-ten years? They are not words. Rant? Verily? An thou'lt mouth that "word." All as next'ld be admitting accents in the French words. Example: Café.

... You know not the wot of English, and you fellows created the By-Our-Lady language!!

The Tale Alphabeticall should have ended once "Chair-man" was admitted. It has the hearkening of a carpenter.

Pray forgiveness for the defyance, I shall not see my language prophaned.

Languages change.
]

You, good sir hath procceded to obtain thy internets!

OT: Yeh, I fully agree with the fact that language changes. Did you know that the word humbug used to be as bad as c**t, now its a name of a sweet shop near where I live.
 

orangeapples

New member
Aug 1, 2009
1,836
0
0
Didn't all words in teh dictionary begin as some slang term that common regular people used?

Also, when will 'teh' become an acceptable alternate spelling of 'the'?
 

The Great JT

New member
Oct 6, 2008
3,721
0
0
Adamantium rage...building! Cannot...contain...urge to kill!! [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBUISgnYpTQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=18s]

14 hours, three ice packs and an anger management session later...

RAPE THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE WILL YOU, I'LL KILL YOU!! I'll kill all of you, you'll get the gas!!

[The Great JT has been restrained in a mental hospital until some time has passed and this much raw stupid has had some time to blow over.]
 

xXAsherahXx

New member
Apr 8, 2010
1,799
0
0
Chamale said:
xXAsherahXx said:
God dammit, what the hell Oxford? What are you, a 16 year old girl with a small purse!? They are not words. W00t? really? There are numbers in that "word." Next thing to happen would be admitting numbers in the words for numbers. Example: TH1RT3EN.

...You people don't know what English is and you guys invented the damn language!!

The dictionary should have ended once "Flapper-girl" was admitted. It sounds like a dolphin.

Sorry for the rant, I love my language.
I'faith, by Iesu, Shakespeare! Art thou a maiden of six-and-ten years? They are not words. Rant? Verily? An thou'lt mouth that "word." All as next'ld be admitting accents in the French words. Example: Café.

... You know not the wot of English, and you fellows created the By-Our-Lady language!!

The Tale Alphabeticall should have ended once "Chair-man" was admitted. It has the hearkening of a carpenter.

Pray forgiveness for the defyance, I shall not see my language prophaned.

Languages change.
Funny, I suppose there wasn't a word for small or purse in the age of Shakespeare. We still resist slang and call it unkempt, I will do the same with this.
 

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
2,552
0
0
Some of these words are a bit questionable... but it's nice to see dictionaries keeping up. My personal favourite addition to recent dictionaries would be Google [http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/google]. It's a verb now.
 

UberNoodle

New member
Apr 6, 2010
865
0
0
I don't really understand why all these times warrant stories. The 'dictionary' is huge and over multiple volumes. There is everything from formal to colloquial in those volumes. The purpose of the dictionary is to record language, not legitimise it. Woot and others may be in the dictionary, but it doesn't mean those words are appropriate in an academic report, in politics, at the family dinner table, or in front of your parents. So what exactly is the reason for these articles, when there aren't and weren't the same for the thousands of other slang terms already entered?
 

Son of a Mitch

New member
Aug 7, 2011
109
0
0
Upon reading this article, I just feel like my English teachers are huddled up in a corner, crying themselves to sleep.
 

Hosker

New member
Aug 13, 2010
1,177
0
0
Damn you, internet! You're ruining the English language! I refuse to believe "woot" is an actual word.
 

King Toasty

New member
Oct 2, 2010
1,527
0
0
lunncal said:
King Toasty said:
lunncal said:
Sorry, but I lost all respect for dictionaries when "bootylicious" became a recognised word (in the Oxford dictionary no less).

This sounds good and all, until you realise those words are only now being treated with the same amount of validity as "bootylicious".

[HEADING=1]Bootylicious![/HEADING]

[sub]Just typing it makes me feel ill.[/sub]
That... that's not true, is it?


...





Oh god it is. What have we become.
You're OK, you're Canadian, you can just wash your hands of this whole monstrosity. I'm English, and this is our dictionary. I used to be proud of my county but now... I just don't know any more.

The Oxford dictionary used to mean something. Now, any old word can get in there.
A Canadian watching England stuggle with their language is like a kid watching their granpa go senile. :c
 

fenrizz

New member
Feb 7, 2009
2,790
0
0
The Great JT said:
Adamantium rage...building! Cannot...contain...urge to kill!! [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBUISgnYpTQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=18s]

14 hours, three ice packs and an anger management session later...

RAPE THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE WILL YOU, I'LL KILL YOU!! I'll kill all of you, you'll get the gas!!

[The Great JT has been restrained in a mental hospital until some time has passed and this much raw stupid has had some time to blow over.]
Sir, I must respectfully ask you to kindly look at the post I am quoting beneath this quote.

Chamale said:
xXAsherahXx said:
God dammit, what the hell Oxford? What are you, a 16 year old girl with a small purse!? They are not words. W00t? really? There are numbers in that "word." Next thing to happen would be admitting numbers in the words for numbers. Example: TH1RT3EN.

...You people don't know what English is and you guys invented the damn language!!

The dictionary should have ended once "Flapper-girl" was admitted. It sounds like a dolphin.

Sorry for the rant, I love my language.
I'faith, by Iesu, Shakespeare! Art thou a maiden of six-and-ten years? They are not words. Rant? Verily? An thou'lt mouth that "word." All as next'ld be admitting accents in the French words. Example: Café.

... You know not the wot of English, and you fellows created the By-Our-Lady language!!

The Tale Alphabeticall should have ended once "Chair-man" was admitted. It has the hearkening of a carpenter.

Pray forgiveness for the defyance, I shall not see my language prophaned.

Languages change.
This is the most brilliant response I've seen in my many years on the internet.

Congratulations Sir, you know are the proud owner of a internet.
 

IncredibleTurnip

New member
Feb 27, 2011
66
0
0
W00t was the Merriam Webster's 2007 word of the year, also. If it's a word, at least spell in with letters. I mean where is "*%[email protected]#&!" (noun: expression of grief or malice) going to be in the dictionary? Before "A"? After "Z"? In "A" as asterisk starts with an "A"?

This is madness! MADNESS!!!
 

Icehearted

New member
Jul 14, 2009
2,081
0
0
Woot? WOOT?! They're willing to do this to our precious language?!



...and I won't even axe why they haven't added embiggen yet.
 

Arisato-kun

New member
Apr 22, 2009
1,543
0
0
Chamale said:
xXAsherahXx said:
God dammit, what the hell Oxford? What are you, a 16 year old girl with a small purse!? They are not words. W00t? really? There are numbers in that "word." Next thing to happen would be admitting numbers in the words for numbers. Example: TH1RT3EN.

...You people don't know what English is and you guys invented the damn language!!

The dictionary should have ended once "Flapper-girl" was admitted. It sounds like a dolphin.

Sorry for the rant, I love my language.
I'faith, by Iesu, Shakespeare! Art thou a maiden of six-and-ten years? They are not words. Rant? Verily? An thou'lt mouth that "word." All as next'ld be admitting accents in the French words. Example: Café.

... You know not the wot of English, and you fellows created the By-Our-Lady language!!

The Tale Alphabeticall should have ended once "Chair-man" was admitted. It has the hearkening of a carpenter.

Pray forgiveness for the defyance, I shall not see my language prophaned.

Languages change.
The thread should really end right here. Languages change. Get over it.
 

funguy2121

New member
Oct 20, 2009
3,407
0
0
Brian Albert said:
You Can Now Find "Woot" in a Dictionary



The <a href=http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Concise-Oxford-English-Dictionary/Oxford-Dictionaries-Staff/e/9780199601080?r=1&cm_mmc=Google%20Product%20Search-_-Q000000630-_-Concise%20Oxford%20English%20Dictionary-_-9780199601080>Concise Oxford English Dictionary has officially been updated with a healthy dose of internet lingo.

Published this month, the twelfth edition of the Concise Oxford English Dictionary has been updated to include over 400 new words. Among them are "retweet," "woot," "noob," "cyberbullying," "sexting," and many others related to social media and internet culture. "Mankini" also made the cut, thankfully.

"Retweet that picture of me in my mankini or I'll sext and cyberbully you, noob!" is now a proper English sentence.

The dictionary has also been updated with new definitions for the words "follower" and "friend" - the latter being ridiculously diluted by a certain social network. These additions, according to the folks behind it, "are just carrying on the tradition of a dictionary that has always sought to be progressive and up to date."

It's important to note many of these words were already part of Oxford's online dictionary. The printed version in which these additional words will appear requires more time and deliberation between volumes.

So, what does this mean for you, the gamer?

If you've played Call of Duty: Black Ops for, oh, any period of time, you've certainly encountered homophobic, sexist, and racist children (and adults, too, sadly) who spit countless internet epithets your way without regard for the English language.

Well, they're still homophobic, sexist, and racist. But now, thanks to the modernization of the dictionary, many of their insults will at least constitute proper English. So there's that.

Source: Oxford Dictionaries via <a href=http://digitallife.today.com/_news/2011/08/18/7407194-retweet-woot-and-cyberbullying-added-to-dictionary?GT1=43001>Digital Life

Image

Permalink
Mankini's inclusion is far more important than any of that nonsense.

I remember my parents' monstrous dictionary that sat on its own pedastle in the living room when I was a kid informed me that "careful speakers do not use 'ain't." This didn't deter my racist, sexist, homophobic aunt from using "ain't."
 

TriGGeR_HaPPy

Another Regular. ^_^
May 22, 2008
1,040
0
0
A word is just a sound which carries meaning... So, yeah, this doesn't surprise me at all.
 

James Crook

New member
Jul 15, 2011
546
0
0
Among all these, I only find "cyberbullying", "retweet" to be acceptable. Also, I tolerate "woot" and "sexting" to some extent, but only if they're clearly labelled to be an "abbreviation" and a "contraction" respectively.
An example of a good definition, to me, would be: "Woot: Internet/SMS language slang, abbreviation of "We Own the Other Team", a vindictive phrase to express success in a competitive environment, such as traditional sports or its place of origin, eSports, but can be used as an onomatopoeia to express content, due to its pronunciation being similar to a whooping sound."

I really hope this helps - to some extent - young people could create much more imaginative stories when asked to in a scholastic environment. (Not so sure about using "woot" in an essay though.)

EDIT: I don't know if many people would find this related, but here it goes:
 

Nalgas D. Lemur

New member
Nov 20, 2009
1,318
0
0
Abengoshis said:
AHA! This means I have more words for scrabble. :D
That is the most optimistic outlook on this whole thing I've ever seen. I like it. Way to stay positive. And that is so going to annoy the crap out of my girlfriend the next time I play Scrabble with her. Heh.
 

MajorDolphin

New member
Apr 26, 2011
295
0
0
Along with "that's what she said", the younger generation has no idea how old the term "woot" actually is.
 

AdumbroDeus

New member
Feb 26, 2010
268
0
0
lunncal said:
King Toasty said:
lunncal said:
Sorry, but I lost all respect for dictionaries when "bootylicious" became a recognised word (in the Oxford dictionary no less).

This sounds good and all, until you realise those words are only now being treated with the same amount of validity as "bootylicious".

[HEADING=1]Bootylicious![/HEADING]

[sub]Just typing it makes me feel ill.[/sub]
That... that's not true, is it?


...





Oh god it is. What have we become.
You're OK, you're Canadian, you can just wash your hands of this whole monstrosity. I'm English, and this is our dictionary. I used to be proud of my county but now... I just don't know any more.

The Oxford dictionary used to mean something. Now, any old word can get in there.
You're proud of your country for GOOD LANGUAGE?


Man, you need a new country, English has the purity of a street hooker and always has.


Speaking in general, this is probably the same reaction certain snobs had to the radical shifts in language that shakespeare started (ex. turning every noun into a verb).



Randomeaninglessword said:
I really have lost all respect for Oxford at this point. Just because a word is used a lot doesn't mean it's legitimate. Slang terms like that change too much to be included in a dictionary.
You realize that pretty much all modern english used to be slang at some point right? The rest was stolen from other languages.


Son of a Mitch said:
Upon reading this article, I just feel like my English teachers are huddled up in a corner, crying themselves to sleep.
And that makes me happy, because we are letting language change instead of leaving it to the province of 17th century shut-ins that were in love with latin.




Also, you all need to watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7E-aoXLZGY&feature=player_embedded


His commentary about the people that expect his support PARTICULARLY apply to most of the people in this thread.
 

DEAD34345

New member
Aug 18, 2010
1,929
0
0
AdumbroDeus said:
lunncal said:
You're OK, you're Canadian, you can just wash your hands of this whole monstrosity. I'm English, and this is our dictionary. I used to be proud of my county but now... I just don't know any more.

The Oxford dictionary used to mean something. Now, any old word can get in there.
You're proud of your country for GOOD LANGUAGE?


Man, you need a new country, English has the purity of a street hooker and always has.


Speaking in general, this is probably the same reaction certain snobs had to the radical shifts in language that shakespeare started (ex. turning every noun into a verb).
I was proud of my country for many reasons, but I've always known that our language was a mix of many different ones and yes, that it is completely different to what it used to be. I have nothing against any of the words in the first post of this thread getting into the dictionary.
No, the reason I can't be proud any more, is...

[HEADING=2]BOOTYLICIOUS[/HEADING][sub]They seriously let a word that is a combination of "Booty" and "Delicious" into our language, and that is unforgivable.[/sub]​
 

ThatLankyBastard

New member
Aug 18, 2010
1,885
0
0
Kimarous said:
Imagine, if you will, a high-class business executive referring to an under-performing employee as a "herpaderping noob lol".
...you sir, just made my day...

OP: Yeah! Now I can use internet lingo in class and not get the evil eye from teachers! W00T!
 

AdumbroDeus

New member
Feb 26, 2010
268
0
0
lunncal said:
AdumbroDeus said:
lunncal said:
You're OK, you're Canadian, you can just wash your hands of this whole monstrosity. I'm English, and this is our dictionary. I used to be proud of my county but now... I just don't know any more.

The Oxford dictionary used to mean something. Now, any old word can get in there.
You're proud of your country for GOOD LANGUAGE?


Man, you need a new country, English has the purity of a street hooker and always has.


Speaking in general, this is probably the same reaction certain snobs had to the radical shifts in language that shakespeare started (ex. turning every noun into a verb).
I was proud of my country for many reasons, but I've always known that our language was a mix of many different ones and yes, that it is completely different to what it used to be. I have nothing against any of the words in the first post of this thread getting into the dictionary.
No, the reason I can't be proud any more, is...

[HEADING=2]BOOTYLICIOUS[/HEADING][sub]They seriously let a word that is a combination of "Booty" and "Delicious" into our language, and that is unforgivable.[/sub]​
Well, I find your linguistic snobbery unforgivable, please leave my country, we'll be better off. I like my country bootylicious.
 

DEAD34345

New member
Aug 18, 2010
1,929
0
0
AdumbroDeus said:
Well, I find your linguistic snobbery unforgivable, please leave my country, we'll be better off. I like my country bootylicious.
Hmph, we're clearly not going to agree on this, so any further argument would be pointless. Before I go, though, I'll just recommend you take a long shower. It's the only method I've found to alleviate the itchy-unclean feeling you get after typing that word.
 

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
7,131
0
0
The biggest question of course is what exactly the official definitions of these words will be. Does anyone know what Woot really means? Will noob be ascribed the incorrect definition of newbie? Will the interenet even give a damn and look up the definition either way?
 

Clive Howlitzer

New member
Jan 27, 2011
2,783
0
0
When I read the thread title I just thought of how many awesome things I picked up from woot.com. I forgot it was an actual word.
 

Last Hugh Alive

New member
Jul 6, 2011
494
0
0
lunncal said:
Sorry, but I lost all respect for dictionaries when "bootylicious" became a recognised word (in the Oxford dictionary no less).

This sounds good and all, until you realise those words are only now being treated with the same amount of validity as "bootylicious".

[HEADING=1]Bootylicious![/HEADING]

[sub]Just typing it makes me feel ill.[/sub]
I remember hearing a few years ago they also added "Krunk" to the dictionary. These are strange times indeed.
 

AdumbroDeus

New member
Feb 26, 2010
268
0
0
lunncal said:
AdumbroDeus said:
Well, I find your linguistic snobbery unforgivable, please leave my country, we'll be better off. I like my country bootylicious.
Hmph, we're clearly not going to agree on this, so any further argument would be pointless. Before I go, though, I'll just recommend you take a long shower. It's the only method I've found to alleviate the itchy-unclean feeling you get after typing that word.

Lol
Last Hugh Alive said:
lunncal said:
Sorry, but I lost all respect for dictionaries when "bootylicious" became a recognised word (in the Oxford dictionary no less).

This sounds good and all, until you realise those words are only now being treated with the same amount of validity as "bootylicious".

[HEADING=1]Bootylicious![/HEADING]

[sub]Just typing it makes me feel ill.[/sub]
I remember hearing a few years ago they also added "Krunk" to the dictionary. These are strange times indeed.

They're always strange times.
 

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
1,770
0
0
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
Abengoshis said:
AHA! This means I have more words for scrabble. :D
That is the most optimistic outlook on this whole thing I've ever seen. I like it. Way to stay positive. And that is so going to annoy the crap out of my girlfriend the next time I play Scrabble with her. Heh.
This is actually the first thing I thought of. Hopefully, I can get my Husband to play Scrabble with me again. He doesn't like to play anymore, because he doesn't tend to win. "That's not a proper word!" he'll say. Then I'll pull out the new dictionary,...

 

Harlief

New member
Jul 8, 2009
229
0
0
Wow, this thread is retarded. The Dictionary is a record of the English language as it is used.
Just because a word isn't in the dictionary doesn't mean it's proper English. Conversely, just because a word is in the Dictionary, doesn't mean one must facilitate the usage of any of the aforementioned words.

The idea that "it's not in the Dictionary, therefore it's not an English word," is based on a faulty premise and the fact that the Dictionary has lagged behind everyday English usage for centuries.