You first "**** This" Moment in Gaming

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
tkioz said:
What was the first "oh F- This!" moment you ever had in gaming?
The original Legend of Zelda. My copy was used, didn't come with the manual, and I was like nine years old. No GameFAQs, no internet, and I'm supposed to know to use the candle to burn the fourth tree from the--oh, F- This!

(I later purchased a hint guide and beat it, and fell in love with all things Zelda.)

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
I still don't remember what it was called, but it was this little 3D space shooter I used to play as a kid. This was back in 94 or so, and I was 3 or 4 at the time (I started early, lol) but I remember my brother and I used to get to the end and the dudes in the space ships would think the mission was over, but then the real final boss would pop out. He would then proceed to fire this completely unavoidable beam across the entire screen and would destroy us every time. After about 5 plays we gave up.

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
C2Ultima said:
Probably somewhere inside the campaign of Call of Duty: World at War on Veteran.
That damn sniper mission, kill the sniper. I literally shot him 17 times before he said fuck it an one shotted me when my AI partner pushed me out of cover

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
"AAAMBUSH!"
*DAKKA, DAKKA, DAKKA, DAKKA, DAKKA!!*

Screw Space Hulk. My generation's Dead Space (when my generation was ten years old).

iFail69

Nov 17, 2009
Xan Kriegor in UT99 on Godlike difficulty... Why did I even try...?

Also, Touhou... just... Touhou in general.

Felstaff

Sep 19, 2011
Three Four games spring to mind:

Ebonstar
I was young and I hadn't a clue what was going on, so I gave up. I returned to it recently, and realised there were controls to fire, as well as move (prior I thought all you could do was turn 360° on an axis). That explains everything! It's still hard as fuck, though.

seriously, fuck this game

Horror Zombies From the Crypt
...because I got stuck, and had no idea how to progress from the early part of the game, so my friend and I just gave up. Never played it again.

Was later informed that my friend figured it out, and found the rest of the game rather enjoyable

Psycho
Had no idea what was going on. Entered the mansion, ghost shows up. What next? This is crap! Gave up, never played again.

Although if someone knows what to do next, I'd be eternally grateful

Dr. Franken
I got stuck, and lost in the mansion, looking for a body part. I think I was 37% of the way through (that number has stuck in my mind). Annoyingly, every room respawned enemies, which was a pain in the neckbolts when you had to traverse from one end to the other, looking for the elusive piece of leg you were missing. Gave up, and like the tantrum-bucket I was, threw my Game Boy at the wall. Like all Nintendo hardware, it survived.

Looking for pieces of your lost love. You were made for each other!

noahpocalypse

Oct 23, 2011
The first Ratchet and Clank. PS2. About seven years old (give or take). I spent FOREVER on that game- just about every one of the later levels. The nighttime city one where you have to use the grind rails past the auto-aiming robots and you buy something at the end, the robot factory, the f#cking last level...

Sigh.

Then it was Jak 2. Save points were as screwed up as GTA is- I remember many levels where I couldn't leave to try another mission. Invading the Baron's palace, the island (later missions), the F#£?¥NG LAST LEVEL I HATE THAT IT WAS SO SO SO HARD.....

Izzy1320

Mar 4, 2010
My first? Playing Age of Empires II multiplayer for the first time, only to get spammed by cars with rapidfire machine guns...

Aside from that... Completing Mass Effect 1, level 54, all assignments except for the mineral collection completed, then opening up Mass Effect 2 to continue the game and discovering that the save game had been corrupted. I couldn't even reopen it in ME1... I had to replay the entire game...but that's besides the point <<;;

Adam Almond

May 11, 2011
I can't remember a game ever making me quit out of frustration back in the day. I think it took until recently, The Darkness...just really didn't like that game at all...

Taddy

Jan 28, 2010
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - SoC, hiding in the grass, which is taller than me. Full health and everything, hear a group of people go by, thinking to myself I'll just wait till they go back. Didn't like the idea of wasting ammo, food and first aid equipment. Well it turns out the AI didn't like the fact i was going to let a encounter go by and decided to (In the words of my mate) "Fuck my shit up something fierce." Cue the entire group of bandits opening a can of bullets and whoop-ass on me. Dead within 5 seconds. At which point my smashed my first into the table, that was about the 10th time i died in that hour.

I'm giving the game another go, buying as many first-aid kits i can get my hands on.

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
just recently... Skyrim... the Ancient Dragons... fuck this shit :p they are tough as hell... and no its no the normal/blood/frost that there are plenty of... ive only met 2 of the ancient dragons and i get burned and shredded everytime... takes me 2-6 tries to get one down... and alot of cover / healing / potions...

Needed a 10 min break... frustrations got a bit high xD

Sarah E

Nov 14, 2011
The freaking water spouting boss in Donkey Kong 3! That jerk kept knocking my elephant off the cliffs with its water spit -.- The thing made me break my first SNES control.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Al-Bundy-da-G said:
C2Ultima said:
Probably somewhere inside the campaign of Call of Duty: World at War on Veteran.
That damn sniper mission, kill the sniper. I literally shot him 17 times before he said fuck it an one shotted me when my AI partner pushed me out of cover
First time I played it, hardened difficulty, took me 20-30 tries.

Second play through, veteran difficulty, got the scheisskopf first time.

ba wha?

LastHour1

Oct 17, 2011
The first "f this" moment I've ever had? I don't know...I've had a lot since I started gaming at age six...Probably the original Rayman on PC. I love that game to death, and I've beaten it a couple times, but I remember getting it on CD-ROM back in...99? Quite a few years after it came out, but I was just getting into gaming then, and it was colorful and whatever.

That game was (and still is) HARD. Holy shit. I remember giving up on that game a few times, pounding on my keyboard, and just generally getting pissed off at it. I partially blame that on being young/new to gaming at that point.

The most recent moment? Either Super Meat Boy (FINALLY UNLOCKED THE KID!) or Call of Duty: Black Ops on Veteran. I generally liked the small part of the campaign I was able to beat, but the point when you have to run down the hill and kick over the barrels of napalm...on Veteran, with the infinitely respawning enemies with PERFECT GOD DAMN AIM...I literally broke a controller over that. No other CoD game, or any FPS in general has given me that much trouble on the hardest difficulty. Still haven't beaten that game. Never will.

PekoponTAS

Mar 7, 2009
I can't recall my first one, but the most recent one was I was playing Power Stone on the Dreamcast for the first time and I got to the final boss where I got my ass kicked repeatedly. Screw that nonsense. That guy's impossible. >:/

Also pretty recently I played the original Castlevania on the NES quite a lot, and after FINALLY struggling to get to "Death", I got killed pretty much instantly, and went "FINE! YOU WIN!" and shut off the game.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
[a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claw_(video_game)]Claw[/a]. When I got to the 3rd boss, I simply could not beat him, no matter how much I tried. It was only years later that I found out how to beat him.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
Gauntlet 4 on the Sega Genisis, made it to the final Dragon with my maxed out wizard.... Then the bastard began spewing every attack from all the other bosses in the game. I literally said "FUCK ME" & very quickly it was game over. Tried it about a dozen times, failed about a dozen times, haven't played it since.... Fuck That...