You have one wish!

Kud

I'm stuck because demonic spider
Sep 29, 2009
The power to break people's knees with my mind.

I would wipe the asshole race out by strictly enforcing my justice on them.
Also it would be the funniest thing ever.

ADDmuse

Oct 17, 2011
I would choose to enter any fantasy medium(books, movies, TV) as if it was a book from MYST as well as being able to write Ages. And I would make it so I always have a linking book back to the real world no matter where I go.

Amgeo

Apr 14, 2011
Honestly, I'd wish for a universal language, preferably one that everyone knew in addition to their native language. I really feel like it would be helpful to the world if everybody was able to communicate.

Rowan93

Aug 25, 2011
Sean Steele said:
Rowan93 said:
Sean Steele said:
Rowan93 said:
1. I think the universe would be better at me at the helm I assure you that AIDS would be nipped in the bud

2. You really cant screw it up its like a lawyer when they screw you over. "Godlike Power, sure but... I get to pick the god." Omnipotence is one thing that is conceptually universal they would have to give me exactly what I asked for.
1. Sure, probably better with a human at the helm than without, although if you're worried about AIDS you're probably thinking a bit too small to be the optimal human to give unlimited cosmic power to.

2. Well, yes you can, I gave an example of how. Plus, omnipotence isn't actually conceptually universal, people argue about the definition a lot. It's mostly the niggly bits, but those bits could destroy the universe if you poke them (don't try to make a square circle, or a rock so big you can't lift it, for instance).
I'll be a hands on deity, AIDS gotta go.

No Omnipotence, the ability to do anything it directly translates to ALL POWER. There is no confusion to it thats the term.
Actually, no, that's pretty vague. The specific philosophical issues I mentioned are unresolved (and if you think a particular solution is obvious, you haven't said which - can you do paradoxes or can't you?), but on top of that there's the issue of control - again, I've already mentioned this. Are you not reading thoroughly before replying? You should read things before replying.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Amgeo said:
Honestly, I'd wish for a universal language, preferably one that everyone knew in addition to their native language. I really feel like it would be helpful to the world if everybody was able to communicate.
Actually... That's a really good wish, that would help humanity as a whole.

Wow, that really caught me off guard. I wasn't expecting something of this nature, both meaning the concept of language, and the rather selfless nature of the wish itself.

Good show.

Amgeo

Apr 14, 2011
silver wolf009 said:
Amgeo said:

Wow, that really caught me off guard. I wasn't expecting something of this nature, both meaning the concept of language, and the rather selfless nature of the wish itself.

Good show.
Yay, I made a think!

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Amgeo said:
silver wolf009 said:
Amgeo said:

Good show.
Yay, I made a think!

Congratulations on your think my good sir.

Rowan93

Aug 25, 2011
silver wolf009 said:
Rowan93 said:
silver wolf009 said:
I'd wish for the ability to multiply myself like Billy Numerous.

Think about it. I could get 70 different jobs, and even if they were all minimum wage, that's something like 500 dollars an hour. With the clones sustaining me, I'd never be short on company, conversation, or cash. Best part though? I'd not have to get a job. The clones would.
If you split into 71 separate people, and 70 get minimum-wage jobs, that means that 98.6% of you is working a crappy minimum-wage job. It also means you have to pay for 71 people's food and clothing and possibly housing with that money, depending on how long you stay dispersed. You'll at least have to have lunch separately, most other expenses can maybe be avoided but it'll be tricky. And that's if you're not too worried about being visible, but really you should be because your powers don't make you any less vulnerable to the government. If one of you is captured by the government and experimented on, you are actually going to experience that crappiness, even if another part of you is free. On that topic, you probably get to experience multiple deaths.

Or, if the clones are less inherently you, you'll just get the more boring problem of rebellion and getting your ass kicked by yourself.
There's no need to feed or water the clones, as they simply disolve back into Billy upon command, or when he reaches his limit. I don't believe we were ever given an exact number for his limit, but it was more than enough to literally pick up and steal a BRIDGE. And we're not talking some piece of wood, we're talking this kind of bridge:

And bring it to a football stadium he more or less filled on his own.

The clones are duplicates, and work towards a shared goal, as is demonstrated by them forming human ladders and other formations, plus that Tron style maze. This means they're either following orders, or simply working together for a common goal. They know they're finite, and they don't seem to resist or disobey, so mutiny isn't a likely possibility, and could easily be undone by reabsorbing them in the incredibly unlikely possibility they do cause trouble.

And I don't regularly die on any given day at work, so why would I experience multiple deaths? Also, I'm pretty sure they don't share sensation.

As for the government thing, don't let more than one version of me be seen together. Hell, if I wanted, I could propose a business agreement with the government. I'm pretty sure any government would kill for a replicating platoon.

EDIT: Forgot to mention they the jumpsuit, so they do duplicate clothes, although more than likely simply skin tight ones, so one suit can cover us all.
They need to be fed if they stay separate long enough that it gets to lunchtime. If 71 of you meet up at the same restaurant, you're not exactly keeping it on the down-low. Plus, your work clothes (none of which will be skintight because you'll be dressed like normal people) will have to go somewhere, and after lunch there'll be 70 of you either naked or in weird skintight clothing trying to organise and get dressed. It'll make quite a scene, and it's much easier to just go to about 71 different places to eat, or pack 70 different packed lunches.

If there's about 70 of you going to 70 different jobs, one of you will probably die in a car crash or something in a year or two. And that you will be as much you as any of the other yous, so you'll be experiencing that death. It might not really count as multiple deaths that way... you'll experience death with multiplicity? Something like that. It basically just goes with experiencing being in two places at once.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Rowan93 said:
silver wolf009 said:
Rowan93 said:
silver wolf009 said:
I'd wish for the ability to multiply myself like Billy Numerous.

Think about it. I could get 70 different jobs, and even if they were all minimum wage, that's something like 500 dollars an hour. With the clones sustaining me, I'd never be short on company, conversation, or cash. Best part though? I'd not have to get a job. The clones would.
If you split into 71 separate people, and 70 get minimum-wage jobs, that means that 98.6% of you is working a crappy minimum-wage job. It also means you have to pay for 71 people's food and clothing and possibly housing with that money, depending on how long you stay dispersed. You'll at least have to have lunch separately, most other expenses can maybe be avoided but it'll be tricky. And that's if you're not too worried about being visible, but really you should be because your powers don't make you any less vulnerable to the government. If one of you is captured by the government and experimented on, you are actually going to experience that crappiness, even if another part of you is free. On that topic, you probably get to experience multiple deaths.

Or, if the clones are less inherently you, you'll just get the more boring problem of rebellion and getting your ass kicked by yourself.
There's no need to feed or water the clones, as they simply disolve back into Billy upon command, or when he reaches his limit. I don't believe we were ever given an exact number for his limit, but it was more than enough to literally pick up and steal a BRIDGE. And we're not talking some piece of wood, we're talking this kind of bridge:

And bring it to a football stadium he more or less filled on his own.

The clones are duplicates, and work towards a shared goal, as is demonstrated by them forming human ladders and other formations, plus that Tron style maze. This means they're either following orders, or simply working together for a common goal. They know they're finite, and they don't seem to resist or disobey, so mutiny isn't a likely possibility, and could easily be undone by reabsorbing them in the incredibly unlikely possibility they do cause trouble.

And I don't regularly die on any given day at work, so why would I experience multiple deaths? Also, I'm pretty sure they don't share sensation.

As for the government thing, don't let more than one version of me be seen together. Hell, if I wanted, I could propose a business agreement with the government. I'm pretty sure any government would kill for a replicating platoon.

EDIT: Forgot to mention they the jumpsuit, so they do duplicate clothes, although more than likely simply skin tight ones, so one suit can cover us all.
They need to be fed if they stay separate long enough that it gets to lunchtime. If 71 of you meet up at the same restaurant, you're not exactly keeping it on the down-low. Plus, your work clothes (none of which will be skintight because you'll be dressed like normal people) will have to go somewhere, and after lunch there'll be 70 of you either naked or in weird skintight clothing trying to organise and get dressed. It'll make quite a scene, and it's much easier to just go to about 71 different places to eat, or pack 70 different packed lunches.

If there's about 70 of you going to 70 different jobs, one of you will probably die in a car crash or something in a year or two. And that you will be as much you as any of the other yous, so you'll be experiencing that death. It might not really count as multiple deaths that way... you'll experience death with multiplicity? Something like that. It basically just goes with experiencing being in two places at once.
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooor...

They'll just tough it out for the day and not get lunch. Then I can eat for all of us, after I dissolve them.

You're trying to create gripes about magically granted comic book super powers. Not a wise endeavor.

Rowan93

Aug 25, 2011
silver wolf009 said:
Rowan93 said:

They'll just tough it out for the day and not get lunch. Then I can eat for all of us, after I dissolve them.

You're trying to create gripes about magically granted comic book super powers. Not a wise endeavor.
Well, yeah, you could do that, I suppose. The main issue I wanted to point out was that the duplicates are still you, and so you're still working minimum wage jobs. You seemed to skip over that bit.

Yeah but these powers are towards the crazy end of what transhumanism in the future can actually provide, so thinking about the metaphysics issues is important.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Rowan93 said:
silver wolf009 said:
Rowan93 said:

Well, yeah, you could do that, I suppose. The main issue I wanted to point out was that the duplicates are still you, and so you're still working minimum wage jobs. You seemed to skip over that bit.

Yeah but these powers are towards the crazy end of what transhumanism in the future can actually provide, so thinking about the metaphysics issues is important.
I work a minimum wage job anyway, so there's no change there.

And moreover, it's not the muscles or presence of this body, the one my consciousness is encapsulated in, that's being used to work the job. It's a replicated clone's muscles and time that are being used.

EDIT: I lied. I make about a buck more than minimum wage an hour. Also, there's nothing to say I couldn't get higher paying jobs. It'd just be harder/more time consuming to find that many.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
I'd probably wish for a long and happy life. But that's boring, so I'll go with the power to teleport anywhere on Earth.

Rowan93

Aug 25, 2011
silver wolf009 said:
Rowan93 said:
silver wolf009 said:
Rowan93 said:

And moreover, it's not the muscles or presence of this body, the one my consciousness is encapsulated in, that's being used to work the job. It's a replicated clone's muscles and time that are being used.

EDIT: I lied. I make about a buck more than minimum wage an hour. Also, there's nothing to say I couldn't get higher paying jobs. It'd just be harder/more time consuming to find that many.
And now we get to the juicy metaphysics.

When you split yourself over multiple bodies, you end up with more than one consciousness. Each one is a separate mind for the duration of the split, but each one remembers a past that was you, and when you merge the combined self will remember each of the separate experiences. Thus, you will experience the minimum wage jobs as well as whatever the prime you (which is, of course, a bit meaningless) is doing. Your memories when you combine again will consist of eight or so hours of partying, and five-hundred and sixty hours of menial work.

Alternately, the clones are "meaningless" duplicates, which are created and then destroyed, but they must still have a consciousness, because they have a human brain. They're people. In fact, they're not just humans with human brains, they're yous with your brain, so the matter of you experiencing all that minimum-wage work is still there, it's just that the extra selves are being destroyed. Even if you're fine with the ethics of creating yourself and then destroying yourself, what makes you so sure you're the core self, and not a duplicate that was created, and is going to be destroyed at the end of the day?

Plus, issues of whether the "duplicates" would rebel aren't necessarily gone just because Billy Numerous doesn't get that problem, that could just be evidence in favour of the less rebelley option, i.e. the split/combine one, over the create/destroy one.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Rowan93 said:
silver wolf009 said:
Rowan93 said:
silver wolf009 said:
Rowan93 said:

When you split yourself over multiple bodies, you end up with more than one consciousness. Each one is a separate mind for the duration of the split, but each one remembers a past that was you, and when you merge the combined self will remember each of the separate experiences. Thus, you will experience the minimum wage jobs as well as whatever the prime you (which is, of course, a bit meaningless) is doing. Your memories when you combine again will consist of eight or so hours of partying, and five-hundred and sixty hours of menial work.

Alternately, the clones are "meaningless" duplicates, which are created and then destroyed, but they must still have a consciousness, because they have a human brain. They're people. In fact, they're not just humans with human brains, they're yous with your brain, so the matter of you experiencing all that minimum-wage work is still there, it's just that the extra selves are being destroyed. Even if you're fine with the ethics of creating yourself and then destroying yourself, what makes you so sure you're the core self, and not a duplicate that was created, and is going to be destroyed at the end of the day?

Plus, issues of whether the "duplicates" would rebel aren't necessarily gone just because Billy Numerous doesn't get that problem, that could just be evidence in favour of the less rebelley option, i.e. the split/combine one, over the create/destroy one.
I'm not sure how much of this would apply, as I'm not an avid follower of DC universe cannon. If you'd like, you can E-mail DC about it, and they might get back to you.

As for me, I'm just chilling with myself, and all the other versions of myself.

You know, I can do that. Because I made a post on an internet forum about how I'd wish for that if I were given one wish, and I didn't take it too far.

Rowan93

Aug 25, 2011
silver wolf009 said:
Rowan93 said:
silver wolf009 said:
Rowan93 said:
silver wolf009 said:
Rowan93 said:

I'm not sure how much of this would apply, as I'm not an avid follower of DC universe cannon. If you'd like, you can E-mail DC about it, and they might get back to you.

As for me, I'm just chilling with myself, and all the other versions of myself.

You know, I can do that. Because I made a post on an internet forum about how I'd wish for that if I were given one wish, and I didn't take it too far.
I don't see what DC has to do with it, I'm only caring about DC universe canon to the extent that you would potentially bring it up and use it to argue a point, and I'd like to pre-empt that so I can talk about philosophy instead of comics. But if you want to stop talking as soon as things do get into philosophy instead of comics, that's fine too.

blipblop

May 21, 2009
Idk.. that people would be more opend to each other and more respectful of different minded people yeah I know a bit lame but I cant think of anything else and I guess that alot of unnecessary fights/hating comes from not accepting that other dont think like you