You people are insane....(Yet another rape thread)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Signa said:
Once again, perception, but I've heard that far more often than I felt it was demonstrated. I'm pretty certain if you're a serial rapist, that would apply. [removed for potential code of conduct violation. I'm not getting in trouble for an off-hand comment.]

Damn, I really hope I'm not pissing you off. Firefox is screaming red at me from quoting you with the typos.

but we arnt talking about pedophiles..which is (as far as Im concerned) a different thing altogether

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
But wait, you're allowed to call me biased and say that I'm believing in 'bullshit,' but I can't suggest that you're acting crazy?
Yes, calling you biased isn't the same as calling someone mentally ill.
I didn't call you mentally challenged or mentally handicapped, I said mentally ill. This is coming from a guy WITH a mental illness, me saying that you're acting mentally ill is the same as me calling you racist, I'm only commenting on your ability to see reality. I'm not saying that you're damaged, just crazy.

I still think that I'm right about this particular double standard, and I don't think that there's anything I could say that would change your mind.
You're just proving my point that you're biased. You just think you're right and refuse to provide evidence. I mean seriously, you think there's nothing you could say to change my mind? Why? Because I wouldn't believe you when you just want me to take your word for it? Oh wow, how horribly closed minded I must be to not just believe whatever the hell you say!
No, because you're acting crazy (irrationally). That's why you won't listen to anything I say.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
Lionsfan said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Signa said:
Vault101 said:
don;t know if your saying that as a joke but Morty is a guy
What? Well he was defending chicks like he was one; like he had a vested interest in protecting all girls, including the bad ones I was talking about. It was personally insulting to him that I didn't like the girls in my area.
*facepalm*

I don't need a vested interest to notice that you're quite sexist against both men and women. And I had no vested interest in protecting 'the bad ones', I think that you really lack much of a basis for calling 9/10ths of women in your area bad. I think anyone does.
How much basis does he need? According to him, 9/10ths of the women in his area are undateable, and that proves what exactly? That he's sexist? Maybe he just has super-high standards that few of the women in his area meet? Maybe he knows a lot of them, and thinks they're all annoying? His opinion doesn't mean that 9/10th of the woman are anything, it's just how he feels about them, and it doesn't prove anything regarding his alleged "sexism"
Right, so you were in that thread a few months ago? No? Then do you know exactly what he said? No? Then why are you pretending you do?
I just sifted through a whole bunch of posts, and yes, I still stand by what I posted

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
chadachada123 said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
But wait, you're allowed to call me biased and say that I'm believing in 'bullshit,' but I can't suggest that you're acting crazy?
Yes, calling you biased isn't the same as calling someone mentally ill.
I didn't call you mentally challenged or mentally handicapped, I said mentally ill. This is coming from a guy WITH a mental illness, me saying that you're acting mentally ill is the same as me calling you racist, I'm only commenting on your ability to see reality. I'm not saying that you're damaged, just crazy.
Yeah, that's supposed to make calling me mentally ill any better?

Oh well I'm totally satisfied now. Or not.

And I'm quite able to see reality.
Well, I'm sorry that I offended you. I'm equally offended by you calling me biased, but I shrug it off easily enough.

I'll leave you to your reality, then, so as not to offend you by pointing out your own biases.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
idarkphoenixi said:
Just a small thing about that whole "dressing provocatively" issue:

I think anyone with even the smallest amount of common sense would agree it's a bad idea to go walking down a strange neighbourhood by yourself wearing a tube top and a miniskirt. If what someone wears has no say in the matter, then it shouldn't sound like such a bad idea to do something like that. Just saying, if you're going to be in a place where something is likely to happen it's just good sense to take some kind of precautions.

Not saying that it's ever the womans fault. But rape is like a forest-fire, you can't always stop it but you can sure try to prevent it. I mean sure, if you feel like you want to get piss-drunk at a frat house to the point where you pass out on the couch/bed then you have every right to do that. But unfortunately, guys are pigs and some will look for any excuse or opportunity to take advantage of you.

ehh...These rape threads always make me uncomfortable. You can never say the right thing.
Well, not generalizing all guys as pigs is a good place to start. I think throwing "some" more towards the beginning of that sentence would look a lot better. I'm guessing it was just accidental word placement on your part though. I agree with the general gist of your post.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
Oh don't pretend to be sorry for insulting me.

And get over it, biased isn't an insult.

You've failed to point out any biases. It's rather hard to be biased in asking you to prove something.
Welp. I'm outta here.

So, in regards to everyone else, I'm glad we've come to relative agreement about where OP was correct and where he was very wrong.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
To the OP: uh, mostly true, I guess, obviously?

In regards to the whole "people don't necessarily dress provocatively/revealingly for attention" argument. I've never really heard a good rationalization as to why it's not, on some level, rooted in the desire for attention from others (if it's not for practical purposes like the heat or something). I'm not saying that must be the case or even is most of the time, I've just never heard a good argument against it. I mean, if you lived in a cave away from people or were raised by animals, I doubt you'd really keep after your personal appearance or bother wearing clothes that made you "look nice". The idea of "looking nice" I believe is rooted in being visually appealing or noticeable to others (thus the word "attractive"). There's nothing particularly WRONG with that in my mind (if you're operating within the boundaries of what's legally acceptable), nor do I think it must be for the express purpose of sexually enticing potential mates, but to adamantly declare "I wear revealing clothes for no one but myself" always struck me as disingenuous. I imagine that perhaps there's a whole lot of unconscious psychological subtext that goes on in that regard though, as I find it doubtful that a woman would consciously think "hey, I'm going to wear this plunging neckline and push-up bra so dudes will stare at my rack!", even if that happened to be what she really wanted. This idea would apply to men too.

This is obviously just based on my own thoughts and observations. Again, I'm not saying this must be the case for everyone (or even is this case for most) I just don't really see a whole lot of plausible alternative motivations.

oh god I'm going to regret posting this. I think I already do -__- Please don't killl meeee.

Ryan All

Jun 12, 2012
SpectacularWebHead said:
You cannot accidentally rape someone in the way a murder can happen accidentaly.
And hope to god this fad ends soon...
Ever heard of manslaughter?

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Ryan All said:
SpectacularWebHead said:
You cannot accidentally rape someone in the way a murder can happen accidentaly.
And hope to god this fad ends soon...
Ever heard of manslaughter?
I don't think manslaughter is technically defined as murder, as it's classified under, well, manslaughter. However, murder can still be committed by killing someone through reckless indifference, intention to commit grievous bodily harm or intent to commit a dangerous felony, so the intent to kill is not necessary to classify murder as, well, murder. Meaning it can still be accidental.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Abandon4093 said:
canadamus_prime said:
SpectacularWebHead said:
3: Rights for Rapists
They have none, 'nuff said. ...or rather they should have none.

The long and short of it is we now live in a society of excuses. It longer matters whether or not a person is guilty of a crime, it's whether or not they can be held responsible for it, which is absurd. Unless they were under some sort of bizarre mind control they should ALWAYS be held responsible.
Being held responsible for your actions =/= taking away their human rights.
I hate to do this because I do agree with you, the sentiment that people being denied freedom (Righfully) deserve no-rights is stupid.

That said, the way they are held responsible for their actions is taking away some of their human rights, such as: The right to freedom, the right to free enterprise, etc etc.

Not to be too much of a jerk. That said, anyone who'd imply that people who're locked up for a significant portion of their lifre getting off easy is deluded. Crazy. Insane.

Tony Kelly

Mar 11, 2012
SpectacularWebHead I agree with you completely.

I would just like to point out one small addendum. There is are a few situations where Rape can be accidental. They are all very situational and revolve around the same principle, that the 'rapist' was not aware the partner did not have the mental/legal capacity to give consent.

Most obviously this would include sleeping with someone under-age when you have had no reason to suspect their true age (these days 16 year olds can pass for being in their 20's if they try hard enough). Also It might include someone who is too far off their face with drugs and/or alcohol (especially if they wake up the next day and don't recall giving consent).

While I have never been in any of these scenarios, the prospect terrorfies me. I don't want to accidentely take advantage of anyone or get caught unknowingly breaking a law with SO much negative press. You hear of people getting on the sex offenders list for these sorts of things (or way more innocuous things, like peeing in a public park at 3am) and getting treated like a Pedo for the rest of their lives. Not cool.

So yeh, where Rape is the result of someone deciding to violate someone without given consent I tend to beleive we should lock them up and throw the key and all of the lame justifications ('she was dressed like she wanted it') can't save you. But sometimes Rape isn't always quite this cut and dry.

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
Why, if you look like a duck and you walk like a duck - well, there is a chance you gonna get shot. If you look like a whore, and you talk like a whore - well, there is a chance you gonna get fucked... By the way, is running away without paying constitutes rape for a prostitute? Or is it stealing? Joyriding?

Also, do you realize that by some recent retarded precidents in US any male who has had sex can be accused of rape IF WOMAN CHANGED HER MIND AFTER COITUS? Yeah, even if you are married to her. And she can cut off your penis when you are asleep, and later be found not guilty.

Human beings are driven by emotions as much as rational thought, and lust is a powerful emotion. Provoking it and then doing a U-turn is simply not wise, because such primal urges are very hard to control.

I am not saying that rape is always womans fault, why, far from it, but both sides of the case should always be examined, before jumping to conclusions. Habeas corpus should never be ignored. And lately the tendency seems to be just the opposite - man is supposed to prove himself innocent, both in courts and discussions, and that seems a bit unfair to me.

PS. rape threads are soooo two weeks ago... just let that shit die.

PPS. have any of you read "To Kill a Mockingbird"?

DarthSka

Mar 28, 2011
Treating these criminals differently isn't going to do anyone any good. Like others, they can be rehabilitated if given the chance. Of course, punishment to the full extent of the law is also necessary to go along with this, but don't just lock him/her up and throw away the key.
Jonluw said:
When people are saying someone was stupid for wearing "those kinds of clothes in that kind of environment", they're saying just that. They're not saying the rapist is any less to blame; they're just saying the victim was an idiot.
This is a completely reasonable thing to say. If you walk around the bad part of town fanning yourself with 20 dollar bills, you're a moron. The guy who robs you is still a criminal, but you're an utter dimwit for putting yourself in that situation.
I also agree the idea this fine poster has put forth, though I would ideally replace the part with skimpy clothes with getting shit faced at a party.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Mortai Gravesend said:
Signa said:
Vault101 said:
What? Well he was defending chicks like he was one; like he had a vested interest in protecting all girls, including the bad ones I was talking about. It was personally insulting to him that I didn't like the girls in my area.
*facepalm*

I don't need a vested interest to notice that you're quite sexist against both men and women. And I had no vested interest in protecting 'the bad ones', I think that you really lack much of a basis for calling 9/10ths of women in your area bad. I think anyone does. Your shit about men not being able to think logically when aroused sure doesn't help the impression.

Wait, are you sure? That conversation was months ago, but I swear I read something where he said that he was a girl. I just assume people I'm talking with are dudes unless they say otherwise. I wouldn't have made the girl connection without someone saying so first.
No, that was a stupid assumption on your part. My god damn profile has said I was male since the day I first joined.

As for the other part about hormones, I'm not the one to talk to on that for sure. It's just what I've heard, and I know some people, my brother included, are controlled far more by their hormones than I can conceive. I'm certain the effect is quite different than alcohol in that it doesn't affect the part of the brain that inhibits bad behavior, but I think it's more like it just shuts down the logical part of your brain, making it easier to do things without thinking about it, like crossing the street without looking both ways. Which is why it was part of my opinion in this thread. Add in getting drunk and you're doubly-screwed in making the right choice to not rape people.
As a guy I'm going to say that it's probably just a bullshit excuse. Hormones do not remove the ability to think logically, they don't override all your thinking. I would know. If for some reason they do that to you, that sounds like a personal problem to go see someone about.

Hm, I wonder if religion bans sex the way it does so that men are more horny and just accept the non-logic of what it teaches? Another topic for another time, but I'm always thinking about things like that.
That has got to be one of the most poorly thought ideas I've ever heard.
Why you gotta be like that man? First off, I said I assumed you were a dude, and someone said something that stuck in my mind. I don't know if that was you or some one else, or even a typo, but there's no need to attack me for it.

If I'm sexist against both men and women, doesn't that just mean I'm a misanthrope? I'm just calling people out on their bad behavior. You're welcome to do the same to me, but you're going to have a hard time picking apart my words if you can't read my actions. I do my best to be a nice guy to the people around me, even if I resent them. On the internet, I don't have to be as nice, so I'm going to speak my mind as I see things. Call me wrong, I don't care, but it would be nice if you'd respond with less "you're wrong" and more "you're wrong and here's factual evidence why."

Given your zealotry in this topic, I don't trust your hormones anymore than I trust mine to tell stories. Rational people don't act the way you are now. And my hormones aren't really any of your business. If it was a "problem" like you said, I would have it checked out. Lacking interest in sex isn't much of a problem as much as a boon. I don't get distracted by pretty girls, and as such, I'm going to call them out on their shit if they try using that as a tool against me or my fellow man. But you obviously didn't really read my comments, because if you did, you'd have seen where I said it doesn't apply to me. You're just set on attacking me and that other guy.

That has got to be one of the most poorly thought ideas I've ever heard.
Case in point. There wasn't any need to comment on that if you weren't going to expand on it.

If it makes you feel better, I'll try to find that study I've been referenced to. I did a precursory check and failed, but I can try again later. It seems Google has been used to find a lot of things regarding sex, and none of which is what I'm looking for.

flames09

Nov 26, 2011
Every time I see these threads I die a little inside, I thought we had established that discussing it on gaming sites with anonymity leads to flaming and insults.

Can we please leave this for more mature places, we have proven multiple times that the majority of the community is unable to discuss this sensibly.

Kraj

Jan 21, 2008
not the most innovative or worthwhile thread in my humble opinion.

OT: see above.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Lionsfan said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Lionsfan said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Signa said:
Vault101 said:
*facepalm*

I don't need a vested interest to notice that you're quite sexist against both men and women. And I had no vested interest in protecting 'the bad ones', I think that you really lack much of a basis for calling 9/10ths of women in your area bad. I think anyone does.
How much basis does he need? According to him, 9/10ths of the women in his area are undateable, and that proves what exactly? That he's sexist? Maybe he just has super-high standards that few of the women in his area meet? Maybe he knows a lot of them, and thinks they're all annoying? His opinion doesn't mean that 9/10th of the woman are anything, it's just how he feels about them, and it doesn't prove anything regarding his alleged "sexism"
Right, so you were in that thread a few months ago? No? Then do you know exactly what he said? No? Then why are you pretending you do?
I just sifted through a whole bunch of posts, and yes, I still stand by what I posted
HA! Stalker.

(the posts you should have found are all the way back in February)