You stole my kill!

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
Can't remember the shooter but I've been irritated as a sniper before from that kind of thing. But at the same time I don't go accuse my teammate of stealing my kills since its not really that big a deal to me.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Ando85 said:
By their logic if they got the kill first, I could accuse them of "stealing my kill". Needless to say a lot of people online are scumbags. I just don't understand the logic.
It's the logic that comes from a game that's all about personal score and not at all about teamwork and team victory. Play some Battlefield and you'll see how it's done - kill gets you 100 points as usual, the person who didn't get the kill gets the credit for the amount of health he took off the enemy he was shooting, so nothing is really stolen. Also, with the mechanics at play (being quick to die and everything), people are usually grateful for finishing their kill because it means there's less chance of them getting killed by the person they were shooting at in turn. Also, with the goal being to win and not to whore the K/D ratio and the score being handed out as frequently for teamwork as it is for kills, it's just not there.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
In WOW this makes me rage because as a rogue there is always one hunter that will tab and get the final shot in on someone that you have been fighting. It's a bit more obvious that someone is about to kill someone there than in a shooter though.

We were playing Magicka the other night trying to get the ice age achievement and my mate kept blowing up the things I had frozen, It was pissing me off big time, but I try not to rage at my friends.

Argtee

Oct 31, 2009
I can understand someone saying that you stole their kill because you killed the person they were shooting. (happens to me a lot in CS:S)

...but killing someone before someone else gets to...isn't stealing a kill.

Hiname

Songstress of Ar Ciel
Mar 23, 2011
Ahh yes, Kill Stealing... By some practised to perfection of art-like levels.

But then, aside from shooters.. kill stealing in LoL seems to be some kind of crime worthy of capital punishment.
And oh sweet mother of mercy, if you play as a melee support like Leona and you accidently score the last hit on someone because your DPS buddys uber skillshot ZOMFGDAMAGE move wassn't enough to bring it down, prepare for the ultimate shitstorm.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
ExiusXavarus said:
Online gameplay follows only two laws, in my experience:

1. If you can kill them, you're a noob.
2. If they can't kill you, you're a hacker.

As for the kill stealing, I don't really play online much, but if I end up stealing a kill and someone tries to call me out on it, I go: So? He's dead, you're not. Go kill someone.
And if you're absolutely thrashing them, you're a "tryhard". Oh, come on, (I say,) you've been getting more and more angry and wound up as the game has progressed. Don't try and say you haven't been gunning for me your hardest throughout the match.

How can you try too hard? I mean... I'd get it if you kept absolutely thrashing a one armed guy at tennis, but really?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
Ando85 said:
Alright, I can understand downed enemies in Gears of War, final stand in Call of Duty.
Even those I feel are fair game. I don't play Gears so maybe it's different but when they're in last stand, they still get to fire at me. You wanted the kill, you should have finished him instead of making me risk myself to take him out.
It's the same in Gears of War: If you wanted the kill, you should have finished him. They can't shoot at you when they're down in Gears, but they can get revived by a teammate while you're taking your sweet time to reload instead of switching to pistol to finish them off or plodding over to try and get an execution. You don't take your kill, tough shit. It's better for the team that the enemy dies completely and that you don't risk your dumb ass plodding out into the open to go for an execution.

Of course, there are the obvious kill stealers who just follow people around not doing anything until it's kill time and then suddenly they remember how their gun works, but that's in any game.

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
I've seen this a few times...

I disregard it due to the fact that either I'm doing things to help my team (Via reducing the number of attacking enemies so my team can focus on fewer targets) or I'm just trying to survive and I needed the person I killed to not get another shot off.

In MMO's though it just gets stupid, in battlegrounds (Where it's team vs team deathmatches anyway) when I attack someone to get my teammate to join the rest of the team in the main push quicker I get called a kill stealer. Some idiots also rage at me taking their honour/pvp equivilent resource not realising that it is given out to anyone in the area (Thus honour farming bots in WoW and such)

Really you can just ignore 99% of all talking in random matches online, since it's usually insults given off by idiots.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
And this is why I avoid playing in pubs with randoms. Any online game I play is on a server that I know the userbase (at least a little) and we play to, you know, play the damned game. Anyone that bitches at me for kill stealing gets a standard, 'that's called an assist, jackass'.

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
It's not their kill unless it's on the score board.

To be honest if I see someone who is downed in Gears of War or in Second Chance in COD I am still going to kill them. That way they won't be getting back up, or they won't be taking pot shots at me.

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
I STILL say that they should make it so that the player that does the most damage to the enemy gets the kill... The Assist should go to the person that did second most damage, and those are the two that get points for the kills (of course you'd still get spot bonuses and so on). Also, if the game allows healing (for example CoDs regenerating health or BFs med packs) then the healing should equally reduce the attack score of those shooting at that induvidual.

So if player 1 gets shot by player 2 and 3 and player 2 does 40% damage while player 3 does 5% damage and player 1 hides to heal, player 2 will still have 35% damage counting towards player 1 when player 3's score for that kill hit's 0%. Of course, as player 1 keeps healing, also player 2's score will be reduced eventually to 0%.

Player 1 gets shot by player 2, 3 and 4. Player 2 does 50%damage and player 3 does 30% damage, while player 4 only does 20% damage. Player 2 gets the kill on his statistic and the points to go with, player 3 gets an assist and points representing the 30% damage he did, while poor old player 4 was too late for the game and gets nothing.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
On games like League of legends, stealing kills is a serious problem.

For example some prick on your team will last hit an enemy after you got them down to about 10% of their health.

I would rage at something like that....

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
TopazFusion said:
skywolfblue said:
There is no logic to it. They're just being dumb.
Pretty much this.
If they take the kill, you get blamed for "not helping them out".
If you take the kill, you get blamed for "kill stealing".
You can't win either way.
Yes you can! You just turn around and team kill the whiner.

In all seriousness, don't let it get to ya. Some people out there think they're friggin Rambo and deserve all the kills.

Maybe remind them next time that when you "steal" a kill that it ultimately doesn't matter since you're just playin a virtual game that doesn't add up to anything in the real world.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Tell them, "Stop whining battle brother all kills belong to the Emperor!"

Only time stealing kills matters is in DOTA style games. Where individual player get they money for their kills and unless they can keep up with the enemy they are at a disadvantage.

In most other multiplayer games it seems that even if players get cash per kill it does not leave them a huge disadvantage should they not get "enough" kills.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
Bernzz said:
I don't play online much, so I don't often get accused of that, but the general rule seems to be that some people just want an excuse to be angry. Their self-entitlement overpowers all of their other emotions, so they must be the one getting every kill. So if you kill someone, anyone, you are a kill stealing ******. In their opinion.

Semi-related, if I summon assassin recruits in Assassins' Creed: Revelations, and during the fight am in the process of sync-killing someone, my recruits have the tendency to push me aside to kill the enemy the rest of the way dead.

Kinda like: "No, no, Mentor, I've got this one, you hang back and just watch."

It gets a tad annoying. I CAN DO IT MYSELF GUYS.
From experience, the AI are really the only 'other player' that can ever be accused of kill-thievery reliably; they seem bent on killing whatever you are. For example; I'm about to use a shout on that Draugr and; "No you're not!" cries my companion and hits them with an arrow that somehow insta-kills them; shout goes off and misses all possible targets *RAGE*. Then three Draugr Death Overlords appear, alerted by my shout. *MEGA RAGE*

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Well I only really play Battlefield 3 and Team Fortress 2 online so the fact that teamwork is pretty much required means that I tend to avoid things like that. I mean it's not like myself or the other guy on my team won't both be awarded for the assist anyway.

MisterM2402

Nov 19, 2009
I don't usually openly complain about anything like this, but it can definitely be annoying in certain situations.

If you're about to kill someone and your teammate gets there first, fair enough. If you take off 80-90% of an enemy's health and somebody else gets all the credit for getting the last shot in, it can feel a bit unfair. If a sniper kills someone just as I'm about to 3 times in a row, I just laugh and say "Aw man, go away! :D".