You will never be good at Melee again.

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Ew, chain grabs and wavedashing.

Just the kind of Smash Bros player I despise.
I've never played Super Smash Bros. Can you describe to me what the hell I just watched?

Razentsu

Jun 21, 2011
Well, this is a problem the Smash community has had since forever. The FGC and Smash community don't seem to get along because of it. Fighting games are made with the focus on competition, while Smash is not.

I don't like how much they have to modify a game's rules to make the game viable for competitive play, but then again, I love that they have succeeded in making the game viable. Despite the controversy, these guys have succeeded in creating something immensely interesting. Just because Sakurai has given up on a competitive Smash, doesn't mean the competitive community should have to. What they have is something they enjoy and are passionate about, far be it from us to take it away from them.

The competitive Pokemon community does the same thing, but to a lesser extent. There are banned Pokemon, banned moves, banned items, and banned combinations of moves. But man, competitive Pokemon is amazing, and I'd hate to see it abandoned.

Despite balance and whatnot, there is a high skill ceiling for these games. Even with a top-tier character like Fox or Metaknight you can't expect to win majors without tons of practice. Melee and Brawl aren't that horribly imbalanced.

At the end of the day, these are just different ways to play these games. There is no right or wrong way to play, as long as you enjoy yourself.

I enjoy the competitive rulesets as well as the game's natural ruleset. It's great that Smash is as modular as it is.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Terminate421 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Fappy said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Butbutbutbut that's how the pros do it Daystar!

Reminds me of how gay LoL has gotten since I last played. If you don't do everything according to the meta you're doing it wrong. Fuck e-sports.
No items!

Fox only!

Final Destination!
Those people make Smogon look like jesus. Thats the most boring thing I've ever heard of for a game too.....

Off topic but I see all the STALKER's avialable on Steam for a steal, which one is the least buggy and the most worth getting?
Get them all, play them in release order, mods will fix most bugs, the latest one (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat) is least buggy.

OT: Nothing to add, I'm bad at smash bros and games like it.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
oplinger said:
and how I just put it on youtube while working for a much better TAS testifies how unsatisfied I am with this video! Funny enough.
Sorry guy. TAS, tool assisted, not impressive.
I could tell just by watching the video, it's fairly obvious.

Also something's obviously up with the Team Jigglypuff animation, it's been altered in some way.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
canadamus_prime said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Fappy said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Reminds me of how gay LoL has gotten since I last played. If you don't do everything according to the meta you're doing it wrong. Fuck e-sports.
No items!

Fox only!

Final Destination!
I say if you're making up bullshit rules like that you're doing it wrong.
Indeed :D

Reminds me of a video.

That's just sad.
Nemesis729 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Nemesis729 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Nemesis729 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
SuperNova221 said:
Daystar Clarion said:

He wouldn't do it if it wasn't effective. He's playing to win. No reason to hate him for it.
For the same reason Wesker in UMvC3 is effective.

Doesn't mean it's not cheap as fuck :D
It's not cheap it's just strategy, if you think you can do it go to a tournament and give it a shot.
I'd never play in a tournament because of just this type of meta bullshit.

Making the other 99% of the game irrelevant because the 1% beats everything else is just ridiculous.
Oh cmon, it's really cheap right? Just use those strategies and you'll be OP right? Oh man maybe you can even use top tier characters,you'd be unstoppable
Of course I can't compete with tournament players, never said I could.

Doesn't mean I can't criticise the gameplay ethic behind it all.
I think it does, If you've never competed, never appreciated the absolute insane amount of practice it takes to be good at that game, you can't really talk.

Well you can, but it will just be the view of someone who doesn't really know what they're talking about...
Yes I can. Although I've never competed in a tournament I do know what sportsmanship is and from what I hear most competitive Smash Bros. players, or indeed any competitive game players, don't have any... at all. Beleive me, if you have to turn off 99% of the content then you're definitely doing it wrong, and if you have to make excuses as to why you lost and whine to the point that either you or tournament organizers are forced to make bullshit rules that eliminate 99$% of the games content then you definitely don't know what sportsmanship is.

Sep 14, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
gmaverick019 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
SuperNova221 said:
Daystar Clarion said:

He wouldn't do it if it wasn't effective. He's playing to win. No reason to hate him for it.

agreed, there are just some games out there, where the programmer who made the character could not have known how much of a troll character they were making for years of rage quits to come.

Even though i'm guilty of doing "FD no items" in the past, i definitely not was one of those exploitative doucherockets who claimed to be all skill then used those tactics.
I think we're all guilty of the FD no items thing at least once :D

But then you realise the true spirit of the game is in the chaos of the stages and randomness of the items.
haha yes, i love the randomness of tossing items in the air, especially the boxes that have the possibility of being filled with all bomb's, and that one person comes flying in with a random kick or punch and causes that half of the screen to go nuclear :D...also, the game is sporadic fun when you get that one person with the homerun bat in a small space...

SOMEONE IS GOING TO DIE ^_^

Dec 14, 2009
Buchholz101 said:
Daystar Clarion said:

I've never played Super Smash Bros. Can you describe to me what the hell I just watched?
Essentially, someone using game exploits.

Things that the devs didn't intend to be part of the combat, but every tourney player dog piled on because it makes them 'leet'.

Dec 14, 2009
gmaverick019 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
gmaverick019 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
SuperNova221 said:
Daystar Clarion said:

agreed, there are just some games out there, where the programmer who made the character could not have known how much of a troll character they were making for years of rage quits to come.

Even though i'm guilty of doing "FD no items" in the past, i definitely not was one of those exploitative doucherockets who claimed to be all skill then used those tactics.

But then you realise the true spirit of the game is in the chaos of the stages and randomness of the items.
haha yes, i love the randomness of tossing items in the air, especially the boxes that have the possibility of being filled with all bomb's, and that one person comes flying in with a random kick or punch and causes that half of the screen to go nuclear :D...also, the game is sporadic fun when you get that one person with the homerun bat in a small space...

Love it on Hyrule, when everyone's under the castle, just bouncing off the walls with insanely high damage :D

Sep 14, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
gmaverick019 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
gmaverick019 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
SuperNova221 said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Love it on Hyrule, when everyone's under the castle, just bouncing off the walls with insanely high damage :D
haha exact map i was thinking of, PERFECT time to pull out a falcon pawnch or fuckin ganondorf hay maker (that damn punch takes longer than a spirit bomb to charge up) and send everyone into a pinball frenzy amidst the castle's tunnel area :p

that game is infinitely more fun to play with random friends than "pro's" who use constant move cancellers and endless grab/smash combo's, especially if they edge hog so you can't get back to the platform >:/

(as you might be able to tell, i had a couple of over competitive friends who joined the super smash competitive scene for a while, very aggravating to play against them when they constantly picked fox and snake)

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Making the other 99% of the game irrelevant because the 1% beats everything else is just ridiculous.
Fuckin' A right.

Smash Bros Melee was a turning point in my gaming experience.
It clearly defined the difference between playing to Win, and playing for fun.

And it thoroughly ruined competitive gaming for me for the rest of my life.
I saw friends turn into total monsters because of that E-Sport mentality, and this is when it was still in its infancy.

It (along with Armored Core 2 & 3) also introduced me to the concept of the Metagame, and the difference between a static metagame, and a dynamic metagame.

Man. How I sometimes wished that I didn't know what I do about Smash Bros. Took most of the fun of playing right out. :\

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
wow, talk about cheesing. People who do stuff like that suck all of the fun out of the game for everyone else. They are actually more detrimental to the game and the community than trolls.

This would be like if boxing was over in the first 10 seconds based upon who threw the first blow.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I was never more than average at Melee to begin with. And now that I have Brawl, I don't even need more.

To be honest, I don't really mind competitive players and the competitive playstyle, so long as it doesn't affect me. They enjoy structure tempered only by incidental chaos of the metagame, I enjoy the game's potential for built-in chaos. Granted, most of my Brawl career has been fighting against that competitive mindset; none of the guys I played with believed in anything like "Fox Only," and I don't mind turning items off, but I got thoroughly sick of playing Final Destination and Smashville all the time, with the occasional Battlefield as an extra special treat.

Whenever I could, I would slip in a Hanenbow or Big Blue match, preferably with dipsticks, assist trophies, and food turned on.

Especially Big Blue. My favorite map in the game, and you have no idea how happy I was that it made its way into Brawl.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Good old times...
I miss melee...
Used to play it like hell and actually got really good at it.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Buchholz101 said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Essentially, someone using game exploits.

Things that the devs didn't intend to be part of the combat, but every tourney player dog piled on because it makes them 'leet'.
It's not perfect but it sure makes it more entertaining to watch. Which is the whole the point.

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:

Play brawl- if you haven't.
Lulz will be had, it's great fun for screwing around. They just amp everything up to eleven for shits and giggles.
For example, gannons punch now does 666 damage and you can do any move out of it without cooldown :D

OT:

Bah, I'm far more impressed at people kicking ass at any street fighet game tbh. Or any game.

Don't get me wrong, I like the smash brothers games a lot, and am actually pretty damn good. I just don't see the point unless you use one of the mods like brawl+ that balances the game for competitive play. Vanilla melee and brawl just aren't really geared towards it.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Fappy said:
Daystar Clarion said:

No items!

Fox only!

Final Destination!
Reminds me of professional Yu-Gi-Oh! play.

No Rescue Cats!

Theme Decks Only!

Necrovalley!

Ah, my poor Wight deck will never beat anyone unless I lightsworn the crap out of it...

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i am incredibly good at melee, ask my M&B profile AND i finished dark messiah on hardcore.

oh wait you are talking about the laughing stock(or so i have been told) of the fighting game community.

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:

Yeah my cousin does this but I still beat him without wavedashing and without grabs, it's incredibly easy to counter.