Your age and your thoughts

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
21, turning 22 in July.

I really don't feel all that bad about never being in a relationship. It sounds nice after reading and hearing about so many success stories between two people, but then I hear the horror stories about bad breakups and I worry that any person I would date would end up being a bad person, given my poor judgment of character.

I do, however, worry that I won't ever amount to anything given that I'm currently studying Creative Writing as my major and plan to be a writer for a career. Given that a good number of my classes have been spent around people who have not only devoted much more of their time to writing and writers than I ever would be capable of, but that I also meet a few people who are fantastic writers who have the same passion and desire that I do, only more skill.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Ryallen said:
21, turning 22 in July.

I really don't feel all that bad about never being in a relationship. It sounds nice after reading and hearing about so many success stories between two people, but then I hear the horror stories about bad breakups and I worry that any person I would date would end up being a bad person, given my poor judgment of character.

I do, however, worry that I won't ever amount to anything given that I'm currently studying Creative Writing as my major and plan to be a writer for a career. Given that a good number of my classes have been spent around people who have not only devoted much more of their time to writing and writers than I ever would be capable of, but that I also meet a few people who are fantastic writers who have the same passion and desire that I do, only more skill.
This is the age of the self-publisher, don't be down on yourself. [labeouf]Just dooooo iiiit![/labeouf]

Seriously, there's never been a better time to be a writer - get out there.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
36. Doesn't cross my mind except to be self-deprecatingly humorous about "getting old", mainly because my daughter turns 18 this year. So yeah, I've got time ahead of me (barring health crisis or random bad luck) so I'm not worried. I'm not as far ahead as I thought I'd be, but then again, I actually thought I'd be dead before 30 so... yeah.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I've become the person at work people go to get help with problems. I've tried to expand my horizons and realised that the horizon is endless. I feel like I'm being pulled in a million directions at once. I was told just the other day that if there was going to be someone to rely on to tell the truth in our group, it would be me.

Necrozius

Jun 21, 2016
Another 35er here. Career that I like, wife that I get along with, 2 hilarious kids. Some regrets but I can't complain, really.

Grew up with VHS and cassette tapes and without internet: loving the evolution of technology and feel that those who want to go back to those things are out of their minds.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States

Slightly more cynical, if that was even possible for me, and my anxiety has gotten slightly worse. Fun times.

Doing some life changes and I still don't know how I feel about it all.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
25 year old guy here.

Who feels like hes pretty much failed life in the last 25 years and doesn't see that chainging anytime soon.

But at least I have a soul crushing dead end job which i'll probably never escape and a bit of money in the bank for the inevitable debt when I either try to buy a place or go back to uni or loose my job. So I guess its not all bad.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Too old and too many thoughts. Feels like I was born cynical and have to work backwards from there. Life is too fleeting to waste being swallowed by your own negative reactions to life. Its too easy to become defensive and bitter from the worse than life has to indiscriminately offer. That spreads to other people's lives if you're not careful. It matters not what material possessions you retain as you take your last breath, only what you have managed to contribute to the quality of life for those who still have to continue this curious existence. You don't need your own kids for that btw. Humans seem pressured into that a lot for some reason.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
27, and feeling a bit young seeing people in their thirties and forties here. Not in the best position in the world, but better than I was a few years ago, since I have, y'know, work.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
25, close to 26.

Too many bad descisions made, and the last 4 or 5 years have been quite shit mentally. Currenty working on alot of things, although I really wished those happend earlier, and I hate myself for figuring out things this late.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
I'll turn 32 this year. I'm fine with that, but my life isn't so great. When I was in my late teens and early 20's, I never saw myself reaching 30. I'm happy to see some friends from college doing well, but it sucks to be the guy that went nowhere, to the point where I avoid them if I happen to see them somewhere, to avoid that "hey what are you up to, man?". Oh well, I thought I'd be bald by now but nope, life is shitty but at least I still have my hair, even if it's starting to go gray.

I guess I'm just old enough to think about some huge mistakes I made in the past that put me in a completely different path. I can't help but wonder if I changed two particularly terrible choices in my life. Things that seemed pretty small and inconsequential at the time but then as time passes, you feel the weight of those choices in your life. BRB getting a time machine.

Anyway, it's weird aging.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
29 and mired in a mixture of self-doubt, self-loathing, confusion and...I think there's some hope in there. Of course that could just be some burnt-on queso. I feel now like I did 10 years ago and I felt then mostly how I felt five years before that. I don't FEEL like an adult and at this point I doubt I ever will. I'm feeling kind of lost and very unsure of myself more than anything but also stuck in some places. It's a very weird feeling. I'm curious to see how things play out from here since I'm either looking at a golden horizon or high-tide on piss river. Possibly both.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
35, here. To me, it's just another notch on the belt, 'cause I'm more invested in bein' Uncle Jack han worrying about how old I am. I wanna be the best uncle that I can.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
21. It's occurred to me that I've spent most of my life in fantasy worlds (videogames, films, novels to a lesser extent, dungeons and dragons) and I'm growing increasingly dissatisfied with escapism in general. The problem is that those escapist tendencies are so deeply ingrained that it's difficult to do other things with my life. I downloaded Heroes of the Storm rather than finish reading a book this week, because I can feel competent at a thing and see marked improvement (complete with shiny progress bars) in a lot less time, and with better sound design, than learning a lot of other skills.

Still not happy about the fact I've only been on 2 dates, with the same girl, almost 2 years ago, and she hasn't spoken to me in about as much time. Nothing happened either. I'm not sad that I haven't gotten laid: hell it was saint patrick's day yesterday and, besides my own university, there's another one down the street and several bars nearby. Even as weird and average looking as I am, alcohol makes that shit really easy. I'm sad because I feel like I'm unwanted, and won't ever be wanted by someone in that way.

I just feel like I've wasted the greatest opportunities I've had to be something, and feel somewhat trapped by the demands of University, because I'm not a great student (see aforementioned dissatisfaction with the theoretical. Let me build some shit and then break it down from there with a physical thing, all theory relating to a single very real concrete example I can hold and had some role in shaping). I'm actually failing all of my classes right now, because I've had sleep problems all semester and thus have missed a lot of class, so in writing this I'm procrastinating on doing that makeup work to change those Fs into Cs and Bs. As are a pipe dream. I'm too sick of school, which has been my entire life and thus the setting for most of my shitty memories and experiences, to put that much effort into any one class. Not when I have several others.

I've also been feeling lonely, but that's gotten better as I've improved in social skills. I can say this to everyone who thinks they'll never improve: it really is just trial and error. Every good quip is built on the backs of a dozen others who died in their infancy. Every smooth line the sole survivor of a hundred attempts. It's always awkward as hell at first, but this is why cities, and travel by bus/train/plane, are great: you're probably never going to see those people again.

So, TLDR, not a whole lot different from your average insecure teenage angst, but I'm not a teenager anymore. I'm a young adult with no, or very few depending on the standards of the audience, interesting stories to tell. I'm probably gonna be hedonistic as fuck for a couple of years coming out of college if this keeps up. Anything is better than being nothing.

... which now that I think about it is a good response to the question "what kind of god would allow 'x' to happen?". One who understands that Nothing is the worst thing, and that good only exists as a counter to bad (or whatever positive feeling you find appropriate and its negative counterpart). No problems: nothing happens.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
24 and hopeful. Currently I hate my life, but there are opportunities to change it. Juuuust around the corner...

huckleberryhound

Nov 19, 2009

Didn't think i'd make it this far. Life for me is about making sure my daughter has the best start i can give her. If i could give any advice to those who haven't wasted their life away yet, it'd be Make sure and save 10% of everything you make (Luckily for me, i learned that just in time).

Loving the games there are now though...I got a hand held Frogger for Christmas one year, and playing Knight tyme on the spectrum was crazy high tech. Now we have Resident Evil 7. Sweeeet.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
28. 29 next month.

It's...I had hoped I would be in a very different place by this stage in my life. At least making 30k a year, rather than the pittance I'm surviving on now.

Figured I would have graduated from college, rather than dropping out in disgust due to the behavior of professors and personal/financial issues.

There's nothing I really feel qualified to do and nothing I genuinely want to do, outside of a pipe dream or two. So...yeah.

And now I'm staring down the barrel of 30, single, stuck living at home, with no career prospects, and swimming in debt.

Not to be melodramatic, but 16-year-old me might have just offed himself if he knew.

Maybe a more positive attitude would help?

Few times I've tried that have immmmmediately been punished though. I'm talking instant karma. Like, pulled over and given a ticket for 5 over type of karma.

And, from what I've seen, experienced, and been told...it doesn't get better.

Ya just get to watch your meat suit slowly deteriorate around you.

Anywho!

I like to think it's going all right.

springheeljack

Red in Tooth and Claw
May 6, 2010
Old enough to be worth a whole quarter and old enough to find a lot of things that people younger than me say and do intolerable. I feel like I'm in a race to pursue whatever dreams and ideas I have before I am shackled down by responsibility and family. I mean I'm sure I'll really appreciate the experience when the time comes but seeing many of my friends go down that route is a little scary. I also feel it's time to get into better shape so I don't end up looking like my father. I'm also worried about potential hair loss. five years to 30. You know all that good stuff.