Your age and your thoughts

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
chocolate pickles said:
Not sure where entitlement comes into this. Yeah, I come from a good home with good parents, but the fact I left college with 2 A*'s and got an unconditional offer to uni was off my own back, no one else's.
I understand where you're coming from, but that's just not true. You said it yourself, you have a good home and good parents - you've been given a good environment in which to succeed that set you well on your way to those A*s. That's not to diminish your achievement either, those are good grades, but appreciation where appreciation is due and all that.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Cycloptomese said:
I've been having some lower back pain the last couple of years. I told my dad about it and he said "Get used to it". Thanks for the encouragement, paps.

Unless your dad is medical professional, you'll be much better off seeing one of those, especially if it's something you can work on like posture or just a bit of core strength.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
25. I wouldn't say everything is fucked, but long-term I don't see my life ending well. I did manage to secure some employment for this summer, so that's good.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
37. in a week i will be officially closer to 40 than 35...

honestly, i'm ok with my age. i still look a bit younger (with help of clothes and makeup), and gravity havent take much toll on some body parts yet. i'm married, we have 2 kids, i have a solid job with a pretty good retirement plan, we have our own house. 20 years ago i would never suspected that i would be there in my life at my age...

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
19, and I simultaneously feel like it's time to start becoming more mature and responsible whilst also having no desire to do such things. Oh well, let's see where I take my life in a few year's time.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
24. I try not to think about it, but I wish I were just slightly younger, maybe 5 - 6 years, because I have more understanding now and a better thought process that would have been really useful. I feel like a few choice doors are closed to me as I get older, and it's only once I'm older that I know about certain choices and how to use them. It's not so bad now, but I can see the pattern and I'm worried it'll only become pronounced.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
sageoftruth said:
I'm 32. Age really doesn't mean much to me at this point. I appreciate the freedom and the disposable income, and thankfully I have a job with flexible hours, so I can still game to by heart's content.

If anything, I find myself thinking a lot more about what I hope to accomplish in my lifetime than I did when I had more years ahead of me. I've already dropped 20 lbs on a recent diet, so that's a start.
Congrats on the weight loss

Generalissimo

Your Commander-in-Chief
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
UK
And i'm playing a long game. Hoping for employment, but if i'm being honest, it's not going to happen. I have plans to slide into politics via city council, that's my only thing keeping me going, that i'll one day make it to parliament.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
trunkage said:
sageoftruth said:
I'm 32. Age really doesn't mean much to me at this point. I appreciate the freedom and the disposable income, and thankfully I have a job with flexible hours, so I can still game to by heart's content.

If anything, I find myself thinking a lot more about what I hope to accomplish in my lifetime than I did when I had more years ahead of me. I've already dropped 20 lbs on a recent diet, so that's a start.
Congrats on the weight loss
Thanks a lot. It's not often on these forums that people leave a post just to show support. I appreciate it.

Anyway, I just finished cutting a new hole into my belt so my pants will stop sagging.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
Wow, didn't think I'd be one of the oldest people here. I'm 38, pushing 25 or 93, depending on how worn out I feel on any given day. I'm married with two kids, both of whom have been diagnosed with ASD, so life is a bit harder with our kids than we were expecting it to be. I have a decent job taking home a pretty good amount of money. I'd be pretty damn financially stable if we didn't have so much debt, though we're working on it. We hope to be able to purchase a house next year, though when I look at the cost of homes around here, I get worried that we may not qualify for a high enough loan.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
25. I have my financial life sorted out now that I have a decent job and have paid off my student loans. I find that I'm wanting a long term relationship a lot more than previously. I worry a lot less about what people think of me and I'm a million times better at being sociable.

Nov 28, 2007
28, and not satisfied with my life. Depression really isn't helped when you are almost 30 and still in college, working towards a career while the most stable job you've held is your current job as a cart attendant at Target.

On the plus side, at least I have a steady job, so it's an improvement over years 16-27. Now, I just need to get my Medical set up to get me a primary care doctor that isn't an hour away, I might be able to get happy pills.

Edit: Oh, and socially, I suck. Autism will do that to you. I'm getting somewhat better, but still don't really seem to "connect" with anyone in face to face situations.

That said, I don't worry too much, as I don't intend to have kids. I'm not emotionally stable, due to my depression, and I don't think I'm mature enough to handle having a kid. I've seen too many parents who shouldn't be one to want to make the same mistake.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Thinking I should probably get settled but there's still so much I want to do before that. Also feeling pressure that if I wait too much longer to make a decision (aka have children) I could regret it.

Phasmal said:
26, nearly 27.

Feeling restless to get settled, if that makes sense. A lot of people I know are having babies and getting married.
I know we're not quite ready for all the rest yet.

So it kinda feels like I'm waiting until we are.
Basically this, all the "So when are you two going to get married?" and "your clock is ticking, tsk tsk" societal pressure doesn't help.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Eclipse Dragon said:
Thinking I should probably get settled but there's still so much I want to do before that. Also feeling pressure that if I wait too much longer to make a decision (aka have children) I could regret it.

Phasmal said:
26, nearly 27.

Feeling restless to get settled, if that makes sense. A lot of people I know are having babies and getting married.
I know we're not quite ready for all the rest yet.

So it kinda feels like I'm waiting until we are.
Basically this, all the "So when are you two going to get married?" and "your clock is ticking, tsk tsk" societal pressure doesn't help.
I'd ask what's the worst that happens if your clock runs out? You've lived a life you wanted, enjoyed yourself and didn't let society define your passion or enjoyment?
Oh the pain? The angst?

Maybe its different with guys, but I'm more than happy with never having kids or settling down. Just doesn't strike me as something I'd enjoy...

DanteRL

Jan 14, 2010

Just moved in with my wife, we finally have our own place. I still have some of those "shit I'm getting older! Shit! How do I stop this?". But then I remember that, as someone pointed, the only way to stop it is death, so I just roll with it.

Lot of people worried about sounding or being mature. Damn, I do my own laundry and pay my bills, but I also play a shitton of videogames and have a gaming channel... So, I don't know how I fare on maturity.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Eclipse Dragon said:
Eeeyup, since I made that post I have gotten officially engaged. When I told my mother that I was engaged (after congratulating me) she told me that now people were going to meddle even more and everyone was going to have an opinion on when and how I should get married. I was like "Nooo there's no way that will happen".
It totally happened.

Silentpony said:
I'd ask what's the worst that happens if your clock runs out? You've lived a life you wanted, enjoyed yourself and didn't let society define your passion or enjoyment?
Oh the pain? The angst?

Maybe its different with guys, but I'm more than happy with never having kids or settling down. Just doesn't strike me as something I'd enjoy...
I think it's different with guys. I think you get less bombarded about it. Not saying you don't get pestered about it, but as a 26 year old woman I am being asked on the regular if I want kids or if I'm currently pregnant. I'm just about to move into a bigger house and already about four or five people have asked me if I'm moving because I'm pregnant or if I'm going to get pregnant as soon as I move in.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
29, which feels rubbish because it might as well be 30, and 30 is well and truly "Adult". Strangers stopped referring to me as a "young man" a couple of years ago, but if I have a clean shave I get ID'd by everyone. Thus I'm simultaneously too old and too young for my liking. I preferred being 24-27. Everything before was kind of shit, everything after is also kind of shit, but at least I have more money for it.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Silentpony said:
Oh the pain? The angst?

Depending on the area, family, ext, a lot of women, once they hit late 20s, early 30s and increasingly so the closer they get to 40, start getting bombarded with "So when are you going to have kids!????"

Guys, theoretically can have children whenever they want[footnote]though the risks for birth defects, ext increase just the same, a lot of people don't consider that[/footnote]. This takes some of the societal pressure off of them. For women it's pretty accepted, you don't have them by 40, you don't have them at all.

I don't generally click well with children and up until fairly recently I considered myself child-free [footnote](Now it's like okay maybe 1 or 2 when we're ready, can we adopt?)[/footnote]. If I turned out to be infertile because of some medical defect, I wouldn't go stealing babies from hospitals and I don't think it would make that much of an impact on my life personally. That being said, taking a potentially child-free stance has caused some... interesting responses.

I have been called selfish, I am regularly told "If you don't have one, you're going to regret it."
One time, I told my boss I was feeling sick in the morning and his response was "You don't think you might be pregnant do you?" there was little reason other than feeling sick (in the morning) for that conclusion.

After a while ... it does get to you. My SO and I are pretty set on the idea that we will not be having kids right now, if I had to get an abortion, the absolute only person who would know is my SO. God help me if any of our parents found out we aborted a grandchild.

I know ultimately it's my decision and I can, with little regret tell them all to kindly fuck off. It just gets tiring.