Your animated avater is distracting

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
I used to have one, ages ago.

But I got rid of it because it used to annoy myself with the constant movement and motion at the top of my screen.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
^ if people are justified in liking and having animated avatars, then people are justified in disliking them too. So I'm throwing my hat into 'kill them all with fire' ring... Web pages are far too busy anyway (especially with ads. and no, I will not use AdBlock), so animated avvies just add to the hyperactive, distractingly looping white noise.

IN MY DAY: this was all fields...

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
BeerTent said:
jademunky said:
Before I say anything else, let us get it out of the way: yes I know that pressing esc disables them.
YOU LIED TO ME! Escape does nothing!!

THERE IS NO ESCAPE FROM ANIMATED AVATARS!!
Huh, it worked once anyway. Doesn't seem to be working for me either.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
@tippy2k2 made mine, and I love it. A while back, an animation of Calvin and Hobbes sprung up and there was a gif version that I loved so much, I had to spread it. Like herpes!

OT: Short continuous ones like Daystar's and Vault's are cool, but ones like Caramel Frappe's right now... *shiver* Funny but terrifying

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Not a fan of the ones that filter through different shots but I like loops. Wouldn't say they bother or distract me though.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I know mine is an eyesore and that's kind of the point, but it's not that distracting... is it?.

[small]I love Super Meat Boy, so I'm not changing anything >:C[/small]

Personally I don't mind flashy and/or creepy avatars, heck, I LOVE Lacktheknack's creepy and flashy avatars :)

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
mitchell271 said:
Short continuous ones like Daystar's and Vault's are cool, but ones like Caramel Frappe's right now... *shiver* Funny but terrifying
Terrifying? How so? Too flashy?

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Maxtro said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
LobsterFeng said:
I only find them distracting when they happen to be sexy ladies or something of the sort.
Like the guy with the gif about the sexy Dragon's Crown sorceress. You know the one.

I have been summoned!

What's distracting about my avatar?

BTW, this is the one I use on IGN

You've got mesmerizing bouncing boobs on display. How is that not distracting?

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Don't really have a problem with them but the only ones that I actually like are those that have real point to them being gifs.

Like the Hades "God Fucking Damnit!!!" one in this thread, the one with the drag to see what killed you, Topoz's tetris etc. They're all showing something that you couldn't with a still image.

Many others though just seem to be moving for the sake of moving, not really showing anything that couldn't just as easily be communicated without any animation. Don't really see the point of those over a normal avatar. Not saying they're bad, just nothing that makes me go "Oooh... cool gif...".

Terratina.

RIP Escapist RP Board
May 24, 2012
There's an easy solution without pressing esc, just reduce the window of you browser some then press the middle mouse button and move the mouse to the right. :p

Ever since I found out the easy way of making .gifs, I can't stop making them. The only thing annoying about them is when they don't work even though they are within the limits. Bah.

I, for one, have never had a complaint about any of mine. Though I dunno if this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/18.848793.20955022] is a complaint or not.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Aerosteam said:
mitchell271 said:
Short continuous ones like Daystar's and Vault's are cool, but ones like Caramel Frappe's right now... *shiver* Funny but terrifying
What it implies... McDonalds isn't just on every street corner, it's in every fictional universe! AHHHHHHHHHH

Aerosteam

Sep 22, 2011
mitchell271 said:
Aerosteam said:
mitchell271 said:
What it implies... McDonalds isn't just on every street corner, it's in every fictional universe! AHHHHHHHHHH
OH SHIIIIIIIIII-

But that's a McCafe caramel frappe traveling around. Weird, no?

By the way I made that avatar.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
I'm not bothered by animated avatars, I usually look at the first before i see what they wrote, but it's not like it's distracting.. i don't always look at them first but I do like seeing what interesting ones people have..

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
TopazFusion said:
Anyway, I always like how threads like this [small](and there have been quite a few of them, over the years)[/small] always turn into a parade of animated avatars.
All I know is once the momentum starts, its hard to stop.

More animated avatars....

MOAR

SuperSamio64

Nov 4, 2010
I suppose mine is a little disconcerting, but's it supposed to be. I think it's great. It's better on my phone because I have the same gif tiled all across the lock screen. It's not great for battery life though.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Redlin5 said:
More animated avatars....

MOAR
MOAR!

I've been meaning to change my avatar back to the old Blue Flaming Eye, but I seem to have misplaced it... again...

Bah.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
BeerTent said:
Kolby Jack said:
Hmmm, I guess mine is a bit flashy, but I've had flashier. Like this!
Why did you stop using this one? It's awesome! I'm laughing over here just watching it. Can I use it? I love Colbert!
It didn't feel very personalized because I found it in a google search. I feel having a hand-crafted one better defines someone. Definitely feel free to use it, just search for "stephen colbert rave gif" in google images and you'll find it in all sorts of sizes.

Aerosteam

Sep 22, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
Aerosteam said:
By the way I made that avatar.
Yo, dude! I already gave you credit on page 2 before you even commented. Look!

Caramel Frappe said:
Snippity do da.
You don't have to keep telling others that you've made it ^_^ because I already shall tell them with pride! I love my Avatar and though you're an awesome artist, I don't want you to feel as though I never give you credit for whatever reason brother!
Yeah, I know that, but I'm taking any opportunity to tell people myself because I feed on pride. :p

Also it would be interesting to see some sort of reaction to it myself.