Your childhood game!

Ectoplasmicz

Nov 23, 2011
We all had that game. You know the one! The game that you could never put down as a kid. The game that had you hooked, that you spent hours, days, weeks, months, even years on. The game that you may have cruised through, or the game that you just could not beat! (one nasty level!)

The game that was your childhood.

What game did you spend the most time on as a young kid, put the most hours into, and could never put down.

For me, Burnout 3: Takedown takes the cake. The great gameplay and excellent fun it provided, along with the fact i loved cars and crashes (i mean, who didn't?) made it the game that I loved most during my childhood. I spent ages and ages trying to beat the game, but never could (That last damn championship), and ended up coming back to the game last year and finally finishing it.

So onto you Escapists, what was your childhood game? The one you loved most!

EDIT: Another that just popped into my mind was Gex: Enter the Gecko for PS1. WHO ELSE REMEMBERS THAT GAME?!

Pinhead Larry

Jan 9, 2012
Dragon Warrior Monsters. I got it with my GBC and Pokemon Yellow, and I've loved Dragon Warrior/Quest ever since, it's been my favourite JRPG since I was 5. I recommend it for everyone that hasn't played it; it's stubbornly traditional, yes, but it's an amazing series.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
For anyone that knows me and my taste in games this would sound ridiculously weird, but the Strike games...Urban Strike, Jungle Strike etc.

I was so hooked on those as a little girl.

I'm not sure there is many games around that have similar game play. Isometric helicopter shooter and occasional ground sections where you would like run through a warehouse and rescue someone. Of course I could be wrong.

Mr. In-between

Apr 7, 2010
There are really too many to count. Do I say Super Mario RPG because of all the times I've played it through? Do I say Illusions of Gaia or the Zelda titles? Making me pick just one game to define my childhood is like asking someone to pick their favorite child.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I guess that would be the Exile series. (Escape from the Pit, Crystal Souls and Ruined World.)

In retrospect they were kind of crap though.

I don't suppose anyone else played them...

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
Well, there are a couple that instantly come to mind. Those being: Hexen: Beyond Heretic, Sin and Shadow Man. I used to play those three extensively during the ages of 6 - 11 or something like that. I enjoyed the hell out of those games, even though I had no idea what was going on story-wise or why these people were all killing each other, I just loved them. Blood was another one, albeit I didn't play it AS much because the Evil Dead hands scared the shit out of me. Haha. I played through Hexen not long ago, actually. Good time there.

I'm going to have to give Shadow Man a spin sometime to, now I think about it.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
I really didn't start playing video games till I was 13. So yea, went from playing the board game life and capture the flag to Star Wars: Galaxies and Star Trek: Bridge Commander.

njrk97

May 30, 2011
banjo tooei donkey kong 64 damm mad jack i rarley beat him he was so hard but banjo tooie was fun as i still play it and never get board

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Probably pokemon games as a young, young kid. Jet Force Gemini was good fun too.

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
Strangely enough, I played mostly RTS when I was younger, a genre which I rarely play nowadays. Mostly Westwood games (R.I.P.) with a bit of Warcraft on the side. Hell, now that I think about it, I just might have played all of the games in the First Decade. Not too sure on the expansion packs for C&C and C&C Red Alert, though.

LittleBlondeGoth

Mar 24, 2011
There were a few on my Amiga that took over my spare time...

XCom UFO Enemy Unknown was one of the biggest, I could lose hours on that. Still can, in all fairness. A lot of the old platformers like Zool were nail bitingly gripping as well, since you only had a finite number of lives and you were desperate not to lose them. Though I'm certain I got through a number of joysticks with those. Then there was the humungous timesink that was the Ultima series. And Populous II. And Cadaver, one of the best games I've ever played.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Bubsy...

"what could possibly go wrong"

ahhh bubsy...such infamous words

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
That would be quite a few for me.
Let see I remember I playing Mario Karts hundred of times, I once skip watching a new Simspons episode (the one with "Laddy") so I can get past this ghost level in Super Mario Bros 2 and don't get me started on Pokemon Red.

Psychoid

Oct 6, 2010
ectoplasmicz said:
For me, Burnout 3: Takedown takes the cake. The great gameplay and excellent fun it provided, along with the fact i loved cars and crashes (i mean, who didn't?) made it the game that I loved most during my childhood.
Congratulations on making me feel old :(

For me, it would be Chuckie Egg on our BBC Micro from when I was very young, or the first two Monkey Island games on our Amiga a few years later

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
xXxJessicaxXx said:
For anyone that knows me and my taste in games this would sound ridiculously weird, but the Strike games...Urban Strike, Jungle Strike etc.

I was so hooked on those as a little girl.

I'm not sure there is many games around that have similar game play. Isometric helicopter shooter and occasional ground sections where you would like run through a warehouse and rescue someone. Of course I could be wrong.

This. So many times this. Except for the girl bit. :p

But also, Flimbo's Quest and Bubble Dizzy on the C64, Jurassic Park-Rampage, Golden Axe and Streets of Rage on the Megadrive