Your childhood game!

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Not very original I'm sure, but Pokemon (R/B/Y version) was the first game I ever really got obsessed with. I poured hundreds of hours into Red alone and hundreds more into it's counterparts and future installments and that was without ever really capturing them all, but there was always that beleaguering feeling in the back of your head, that compulsion to just catch that one more, to just get a few levels higher, to find this new item, to learn this new move, that I could never put it down. Pokemon was a very special part of my childhood. Which I guess is kinda sad when you think about it. XD

- Omni ^_^

Astiahl

May 2, 2011
Toss up between FF9 and Crash Bandicoot, really...still have them both in the living room, actually. xD

The Big Boss

Apr 4, 2011
Pinhead Larry said:
Dragon Warrior Monsters. I got it with my GBC and Pokemon Yellow, and I've loved Dragon Warrior/Quest ever since, it's been my favourite JRPG since I was 5. I recommend it for everyone that hasn't played it; it's stubbornly traditional, yes, but it's an amazing series.
Awesome, i thought i was the only one who loved that game. Spent hours playing this as a child than any pokemon game!

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Spyro the Dragon. Was one of my very first Playstation games and damn did I play it a lot.
Been considering to get the first three games from PSN, but it feels like I'd destroy my precious memories if I did.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Final fantasy 1. Super mario world , contra three , final fantasy 4 , final fantasy 6 and secret of evermore , are the games i have played the most ad a kid. Never actually finished secret of evermore .

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
I guess a tie between Kirby's Adventure and The Legend of Zelda. I'd go for Kirby in terms of gameplay, easily, but I had so much fun (and frustration) playing Zelda with my dad.

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
Tetris. The original.

I single handedly doubled share prices for AA battery makers, even with teh awesome battery life that thing had.

I still have it, it still works.

The Big Boss

Apr 4, 2011
Final Fantasy 7 was probabaly the main one for me, though i did spent hours on MGS and other Final Fantasy titles but 7 will always have a special place in my heart. I still play it today.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Chrono Trigger takes first place.
The Legends of Zelda: A Link to the Past takes second place.
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest takes third place. I think.
Somewhere into that equation fits Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy VI, MegaMan X, and a few other games.

These were all childhood defining moments for me. But especially Chrono Trigger.

Really, the entire SNES system was a childhood defining moment for me. Despite the fact I grew up on the Atari 2600. It was the Super Nintendo that was the peak of my excitement in video games, and the system that I have judged on all video games on since then.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
xXxJessicaxXx said:
For anyone that knows me and my taste in games this would sound ridiculously weird, but the Strike games...Urban Strike, Jungle Strike etc.

I was so hooked on those as a little girl.

I'm not sure there is many games around that have similar game play. Isometric helicopter shooter and occasional ground sections where you would like run through a warehouse and rescue someone. Of course I could be wrong.

I remember those! They were amazing. In fact, I think I still have Desert Strike kicking around in the house somewhere.

Besides those (now that I've been reminded of them), it would have to be the first Sonic The Hedgehog. So many times I've played and replayed that game. Still play it every once in a while thanks to it being on XBLA.

malmodir

Jul 12, 2010
The first three which came to mind are Warcraft 2, Die Siedler and Sonic 2. So these have to be my "childhood game"s.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Again, I answer this question the same way I have always had to: Banjo Kazooie, and Banjo Tooie.

Oh, how the mighty Rare has fallen...

thespyisdead

Jan 25, 2010
i only have one thing to say: UNREAL TOURNAMENT.

/thread

surprisingly, it still holds up today quite well

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Manic Miner on the C64 and ZX Spectrum, there were obviously a lot of similar games, but we always ended up taking turns at Manic... such a tricky game, I defy any 'hardcore' gamer to play through that game, it's as difficult as photoshopping Susan Boyle.

Old school platform games are always pretty tricky, I've no idea how we coped without quicksave, or any sort of save for that matter. We liked 3D Deathchase, Ghostbusters, TLL, Dizzy, Batman (isometric), Head Over Heels... I could prattle on in a nostalgic haze about the 80's games and how great they were - then I remember Technician Ted, and other horrific games like that.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Kyrian007 said:
This. I could crank quarters into this machine for hours. Or could have if I ever had enough quarters.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Our local arcade had the sitting cabinet, covered in cigarrete burns, fire damage, and had a funky 70s smell to it, but damn I loved that game.

Karhukonna

Nov 3, 2010
I must've been on second grade or something when my mother brought a game with her she had bought on a cruise or something, go figure. The box art wasn't exactly thrilling or terribly describing of the game, but I played it anyways.

I didn't speak any English at the time, but I still managed to get maybe one fifths through the game before getting stuck at this one puzzle. I tried and I tried, until I finally gave up. I forgot all about the game for a long time, but every now and then I'd pick it up and try again, only to fail miserably.

I must've been on 8th or 9th grade when I stumbled upon the disc again, and I started playing it. When I finally got past the damn puzzle, it was like discovering a new world. I loved every single part of the game, but the very beginning is only now starting to feel fun to play, as the memories of grinding and trying to beat the damn puzzle finally start to fade.

For me, this game was larger than life. When I finally beat the final boss, I was not happy at all. I felt, instead, empty. As if beating the game had been this hidden, forgotten driving force that I had now depleted. I eventually got over it when Breath of Fire IV came along, but for me number three still is the greatest game ever made, and I still make it a point to complete the game once a year.

For those of you interested, the game received an enhanced PSP remake. And the puzzle I was stuck on was the cube puzzle in Momo's Tower.