Your Culinary Hot Takes

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
For most of my childhood BBQ meant sweet marinated pork grilled on really thin bamboo skewers. And exclusively pork too. Only when I was older did I learn that barbecue is a method of cooking and not a dish. I have no clue how our definition came about.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Potatoes are just delivery vehicles for condiments.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Barbie - grilling and frying everything
BBQ - slow and low cooking and MASSIVE prep activity...
I dunno, the slow and low method sounds like a lot of fucking around, admitedly the end result is kick arse. but I prefer just throwing my burgers, sausages, cheap steaks and Coles brand chicken skewers on and having loads of food ready in about twenty minutes tops.

Then again, in the ancient wisdom of that kid in the Old El Paso advert, "Why not both?"

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
I dunno, the slow and low method sounds like a lot of fucking around, admitedly the end result is kick arse. but I prefer just throwing my burgers, sausages, cheap steaks and Coles brand chicken skewers on and having loads of food ready in about twenty minutes tops.
Nah, slow and low is only middling level fucking around. For high level fucking around you cure and smoke meat.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Crystal Violet

2020: I have not gotten over the scarf thing
Legacy
Sep 22, 2020
Paris
Country
France
Bacon is good but does not make me cool because that is what the internet decided in the 2010s. Bacon makes me cool because it pisses off my Jewish parents.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Nearly all beers tastes like crap. I don't know why people drink this stuff. The only ones I care for are Seagrams and Smirnoff Ice.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Made bread today. Very dense and not very nice. Neither's the bread.
A part of me feels that making one's own bread is something that shouldn't go wrong, like, at a fundamental level. This post hurt my feelings. May your next loaf be plush and plentiful.

Nearly all beers tastes like crap. I don't know why people drink this stuff. The only ones I care for are Seagrams and Smirnoff Ice.
I'd argue those aren't beers, but carbonated cocktails.

Beer [proper] is an acquired taste, and once acquired, you can appreciate the various differences between types. I didn't like beer until the early 2000s when I tried Michelob Ultra Amber. Not saying it is a "good" beer 20 years later, but it was a gateway guiding to me towards what I like and don't like. Nowadays, I drink pretty much any beer on offer, but I know I prefer darker beers with minimal hop. My favorite being Yuengling from America's oldest brewery which until recently was only available on the East coast, but has since expanded opening a brewery in Ft. Worth, so now it's readily available here in Texas.

That said, beer might simply not be your thing. I don't fault anyone who doesn't drink it, but I know personally, one swig of one beer is not definitive of "beer." Like with our friend @ObsidianJones who doesn't like cheese, there's too many varieties of it to simply say you don't like ANY of it, but I guess it's possible in some godless world.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Overuse of hops is one of the reason I avoid most 'craft' beer. Seems like most of them think catpiss and a shitton of hops makes beer.
As an ex-home brewer I only usually used a lot of hops to cover up having made a rubbish beer. Commercially, I think it's pretty cheap to chuck in a load of hops, but making a nice thick beer is quite expensive (just look at the price of Special Brew vs. well, anything by Brewdog). But the nicest thing I ever made (Dangerzone) was a very strong, very malty and thick ale. Like glorious hot syrup with a high ABV.

Sounds like a case of over-kneeding the dough.
Honestly, I barely touched it, which I guess could also be bad.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
As an ex-home brewer I only usually used a lot of hops to cover up having made a rubbish beer. Commercially, I think it's pretty cheap to chuck in a load of hops, but making a nice thick beer is quite expensive (just look at the price of Special Brew vs. well, anything by Brewdog). But the nicest thing I ever made (Dangerzone) was a very strong, very malty and thick ale. Like glorious hot syrup with a high ABV.
Well yeah, making a thick, full bodied beer is way more expensive (in ingredients and time) than churning out any old crap and trying to hide the mistakes under a fuckton of hops... and in some markets, they won't sell well anyway (most people don't want to be smashing thick, malty ales during an Australian summer).

Honestly, I barely touched it, which I guess could also be bad.
Hmmm... from experience that would've just given an inconsistent/uneven texture (dense clumpy bits, normal bits, lots of air pocketing) not high density...

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
It's a momentous day. Just had two bites of my first ever Big Mac.

I don't know what possessed my gf to get one; we rarely eat fast food, but she just jumped, left, and came back with a Big Mac. I tried the first bite, and it was inoffensive, but my second bite had a healthy amount of their signature sauce, and absolutely not. Hard pass. She's butt-hurt right now; she was really hoping to change my opinion on staple condiments. Next will probably be a Whopper, but thankfully, the nearest Burger King is too far away for any of her impulse purchases.

Big Mac? 0/10.

Reactions: Chimpzy

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
It's a momentous day. Just had two bites of my first ever Big Mac.

I don't know what possessed my gf to get one; we rarely eat fast food, but she just jumped, left, and came back with a Big Mac. I tried the first bite, and it was inoffensive, but my second bite had a healthy amount of their signature sauce, and absolutely not. Hard pass. She's butt-hurt right now; she was really hoping to change my opinion on staple condiments. Next will probably be a Whopper, but thankfully, the nearest Burger King is too far away for any of her impulse purchases.

Big Mac? 0/10.
Yeh, while I do enjoy me some junk food once in a while, I've never had anything from a fast food chain like McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut or whatnot that was better than just passable. Like, it's fine I suppose, and it'll work in a pinch, but given the choice of literally anything else? I'm eating whatever the other thing is.

A variant of this is when I'm abroad in a foreign country, say Turkey, on vacation with some people. When the question of "what'll we eat?" inevitably rears its head, there's invariably one person who suggests McDonalds, cuz they're everywhere. And I'm like, wtf, you're in Turkey, and you want McDonalds? So much choice of delicious local specialties, but nah, McDonalds. Not even a genuine doner kebab, which is already street food for tourists, but no, you want a fucking Big Mac.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yeh, while I do enjoy me some junk food once in a while, I've never had anything from a fast food chain like McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut or whatnot that was better than just passable. Like, it's fine I suppose, and it'll work in a pinch, but given the choice of literally anything else? I'm eating whatever the other thing is.

A variant of this is when I'm abroad in a foreign country, say Turkey, on vacation with some people. When the question of "what'll we eat?" inevitably rears its head, there's invariably one person who suggests McDonalds, cuz they're everywhere. And I'm like, wtf, you're in Turkey, and you want McDonalds? So much choice of delicious local specialties, but nah, McDonalds. Not even a genuine doner kebab, which is already street food for tourists, but no, you want a fucking Big Mac.
I find it inexcusable to accept that anyone with access to the flavor palettes of Europe would willingly ask for McDonalds. If I had ready access to foods from countries like Turkey, Italy, France, the Mediterranean area, etc., I'd be as big as a house. We ate Cuban yesterday, and you'd have thought we'd never had food before; it was so damned good. I wish you lot on the other side of all ponds knew how lucky you are. Vacationing in Turkey? Yeah, that's not "a weekend" for we Americans. We have access to a lot of Hispanic foods, but the breadth of cuisine diversity available to Europeans is mindboggling. I mean, how do you find time for the romance you're famous for with all of those flavors floating about? Also, does Grub Hub deliver internationally?

Reactions: Chimpzy

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I find it inexcusable to accept that anyone with access to the flavor palettes of Europe would willingly ask for McDonalds. If I had ready access to foods from countries like Turkey, Italy, France, the Mediterranean area, etc., I'd be as big as a house. We ate Cuban yesterday, and you'd have thought we'd never had food before; it was so damned good. I wish you lot on the other side of all ponds knew how lucky you are. Vacationing in Turkey? Yeah, that's not "a weekend" for we Americans. We have access to a lot of Hispanic foods, but the breadth of cuisine diversity available to Europeans is mindboggling. I mean, how do you find time for the romance you're famous for with all of those flavors floating about? Also, does Grub Hub deliver internationally?
I mean, it's not really a day trip for us either, but yeah, boggles my mind ok, technically, I could get in the car early morning tomorrow and have lunch in Paris by noon, be back by dinner, but I'd be spending 90% of it in transit, unless I got on the TGV, but that's a) not cheap, b) needs reservation so not on a whim. I mean, if I went on vacation to the US, I'd eat local, which would definitely include junk food, but not McDonalds. Probably won't be visiting again any time soon, if ever, so why waste any of the limited meals on something you can get almost anywhere else on the planet instead of trying the regional specialties.