Your Culinary Hot Takes

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
You don't have to be a fan of McDonald's to worship their potato products. Try again at another location; if the hashbrowns taste as bad as the last time, then they're just not for you. Also, you a taste bud deformity.
I'm just not a fan of fast food in general, never have been. If for some reason someone offers me a McDonalds breakfast and buys it despite me refusing, I'll at least give it a bite.
If I really wanted cheap food while I'm out and about, I'd just go to Weatherspoons.

A&W, Wendy's, and Savy Sliders are so much better burger joints. Krystal's is better than White Castle.

I actually prefer Vietnamese food over Chinese food, 50% of the time.
We don't actually have any of those, don't think they've ever hopped over the pond, and if they have it'll take another 20 years to get down here. I live in a university town though, so we do have 3 fancy independent burger joints within about 5 minutes walk of each other.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
We don't actually have any of those, don't think they've ever hopped over the pond, and if they have it'll take another 20 years to get down here. I live in a university town though, so we do have 3 fancy independent burger joints within about 5 minutes walk of each other.
That makes sense, and not surprising. Krystals you can only get if you're down South, or are in some parts of Ohio. I am a little surprised, you all don't have a Wendy's.

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
Poor A&W, infamous for overestimating the average 'Murican's understanding of fractions.

For those who don't already know the story, A&W released a 1/3 pound burger to compete directly against 1/4 burgers from other fast food places. Priced around the same and preferred in taste tests, the 1/3 pounder only flopped because most Americans couldn't wrap their heads around the fact that 1/3 > 1/4.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
That makes sense, and not surprising. Krystals you can only get if you're down South, or are in some parts of Ohio. I am a little surprised, you all don't have a Wendy's.
Take Away Shops in England and Australia have been making burger and chips for a long time and I can assure you; even the worst burger from a Take Away is going to kick the ass of anything from any chain you care to name.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Take Away Shops in England and Australia have been making burger and chips for a long time and I can assure you; even the worst burger from a Take Away is going to kick the ass of anything from any chain you care to name.
Complete with bacon, egg, pineapple, beetroot and the head gasket from a 1967 datsun.

Reactions: Gordon_4

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Complete with bacon, egg, pineapple, beetroot and the head gasket from a 1967 datsun.
I don't do pineapple.

Some yes; some no.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Krystal's is better than White Castle.
Having never tried Krystal Burger, I cannot confirm or deny that sentiment, but I will caution you to tread lightly with such words. A lesser man than myself might order a gang of unruly thugs to descend on your location and... change your mind.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Having never tried Krystal Burger, I cannot confirm or deny that sentiment, but I will caution you to tread lightly with such words. A lesser man than myself might order a gang of unruly thugs to descend on your location and... change your mind.
It's the truth. The ultimate truth. Back then and now, Krystal's has way more variety and offerings than white castle. When White Castle didn't have a lot on their menu aside from burgers and fries. Krystal's has their sliders, Coney dogs, chili cheese fries, chicken strips and chicken nuggets, shakes, etc. And this is me naming the stuff they had before White Castle decided to up their menu variety, and Krystal's still has more than them.

Edit: Savy Sliders is better than White Castle too.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
It's the truth. The ultimate truth. Back then and now, Krystal's has way more variety and offerings than white castle. When White Castle didn't have a lot on their menu aside from burgers and fries. Krystal's has their sliders, Coney dogs, chili cheese fries, chicken strips and chicken nuggets, shakes, etc. And this is me naming the stuff they had before White Castle decided to up their menu variety, and Krystal's still has more than them.

Edit: Savy Sliders is better than White Castle too.
I don't typically make threats, and as of now, I still won't, but you are testing the limits of my civility with your sacrilege.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Ice cream cones. Why? Here's a dessert that melts almost instantly; let's give it to you stacked three-scoops high on a biscuit that gets soggy and challenge you to lick it like a dog until it's finished and before you've got melted milk stuffs running down to your elbow. I mean, you're literally held captive when handed an ice cream cone; you can't put it down, and you can't take your time enjoying it. No, thank you; put my ice cream in a cup or bowl so I can eat it with a SPOON it like the grown-ass man I am.

That said, I'll watch a woman eat an ice cream cone all day, so let's not cancel them entirely just yet.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
No, thank you; put my ice cream in a cup or bowl so I can eat it with a SPOON it like the grown-ass man I am.
Rarely ever ate ice cream out of a cone. The last time I did that, I was..uugggghhhh....13!

I don't care much for Milk Shakes. I don't hate them, but I'll always prefer a Slushie or Smoothie when given a choice between the three.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I'd walk past both to get Malaysian or Indonesian.
Indeed, the Malaysian place up the road from me serves a fantastic hot Mee Goreng with tomato, garlic, curry and salt fish. I have it about every other week. Thing I love about the place the most, 90% of the customers just see it as an above average Chinese restaurant. They cater to that by serving the same menu that every standard Chinese place in the U.S. has. But if you are in the know, you order the Malaysian dishes and it is a much more special experience.

Recently had a fun experience at a Indo/Pakistani cafe. They do a buffet on Sundays. I go occasionally. The owner shows me a picture and tells a fantastic story. A few weeks earlier one of the regulars tells him his food is really good... but why doesn't he have any American food with the buffet? So the next week the buffet had a little addition. He showed me the picture of the American dish he added to his buffet. A buffet dish, filled with melted Cheez Whiz and chicken nuggets floating in it... and 2 tiny American flags hanging proudly over it.

Reactions: RhombusHatesYou

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Indeed, the Malaysian place up the road from me serves a fantastic hot Mee Goreng with tomato, garlic, curry and salt fish. I have it about every other week. Thing I love about the place the most, 90% of the customers just see it as an above average Chinese restaurant. They cater to that by serving the same menu that every standard Chinese place in the U.S. has. But if you are in the know, you order the Malaysian dishes and it is a much more special experience.
Don't think I've ever been to a Malaysian restaurant in Australia where they didn't also have the "standard Chinese dishes" on offer as well. Not sure why. Doesn't bother me as I'm usually agonising over whether to get the Mee Rendang or the Kuey Teow.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Don't think I've ever been to a Malaysian restaurant in Australia where they didn't also have the "standard Chinese dishes" on offer as well. Not sure why. Doesn't bother me as I'm usually agonising over whether to get the Mee Rendang or the Kuey Teow.
I figure they're hedging their bets with losers - like me - who are hard to crowbar out of the comfort zone but can't resist a bargain.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Greggs are shit. Steak bakes? Sausage rolls? Grease soaked pastry filled with something that I can only assume has already been through the digestive system of a dog. Fuck off back over the Tamar you lard eating Northern bastards.

Much as I hate to link to The Scum...