Your favorite Gameboy Advance games

The Sanctifier

Nov 26, 2012
The Sanctifier said:
My favorite was the Advanced Wars games. They were a bit too talky, but they did have an interesting take on turn based strategy. There was also this golden eye game which was quite fun. Had a lot of cool puzzles in it. I remember it had this bit where your stranded in a desert with a limited amount of water and you had to go towards a certain coordinate on the map (you can't check your position) to get to a airport. It was funny because it worked on a Cartesian Plain system which I was just learning in maths at the time.
oops, clicked quote instead of edit :)

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I'm not big on favorites but there's some great games on it, I think I have more GBA games than anything else.

So some lesser known games:

-Summon Night 1 & 2 are great RPGs with a lot of charm to them
-Scurge is like a 3/4ths view metroid, and no that despite what you think is how it's spelled oddly.
-Drilldozer a fun game that seems to have gone totally unknown considering you can still find sealed copies.
-Shining Force a complete remake of a Sega Genesis title. It's solid but cases that either version are better can be made.

90% of anyone I've known with a GBA have no idea about these games, so they could be lesser known or my friends are just oblivious to awesome games.

Dr.Panties

Dec 30, 2010
I'm really surprised that no-one has mentioned the amazing Astro Boy: Omega Factor! Seriously, one of the best games that came out on the system, and still well worth your time today.

TheJazzyH

Jan 7, 2011
-Wario Land 4 is the first GBA game I played, as others here have.
-Pokemon Leaf Green was the first Pokemon game I ever played.
-Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones was also the first Fire Emblem game I played, although I never got to experience it until my brother got it as a 3DS ambassador download.
-Mario Golf: Advance Tour is the still the most entertaining sports game I've ever played, which makes me excited that a new Mario Golf game for the 3DS was announced.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
My are these three-

Golden Sun (and 2)
Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword (The one with Eliwood in it)
Advance War

NoeL

May 14, 2011
Was Sword of Mana mentioned? That was pretty cool I guess.

Now, what hasn't been mentioned yet... (digs out digital collection)

Ghouls N Ghosts is a fantastic port.
Mario vs Donkey Kong is surprisingly fun.
River City Ransom EX kicks ass.

Other than that, there are a number of solid SNES ports which I won't mention.

Also, regarding Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 2, if you pick that up prepare to be bored. VERY bored. I don't think I've played a more dialogue-heavy JRPG. They just don't stop talking! To make matters worse, they're not saying anything particularly interesting, and you can't skip it. I reckon I "played" that game for about an hour and hardly saw a second of gameplay.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Final Fantasy tactics Advance and the Pokémon games of that generation. The former more than the latter, it has IMO the best graphics that console ever saw, and some of the deepest gameplay.

Averant

Jul 6, 2010
Can't believe I haven't seen any mention of Advance Wars yet! Great tactical game. Other mentions are Pokemon Ruby and Saphire, Mario&Luigi Superstar Saga, Fire Emblem, the Metroid games, Golden Sun games, Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced, any LoZ game, I'm sure. Man, there were so many good ones...

EDIT: never mind, looks like all the Advance Wars fans are on the second page lol

FrostyFinn

Jan 10, 2013
I got my hands on Boktai 1 and 2 recently and they are lots of fun. The sunlight gimmick is cool and its nice to have a gba game with stealth elements in it.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
I can't believe no one has said this yet:

Tactics Orge: The Knight of Lodis.

The original Tactics Ogre on the Playstation was a Final Fantasy Tactics knockoff. Okay maybe it wasn't, but it sure felt like one. Then Atlus pulled a Saints Row 2 and made its sequel better than the main game's sequel. The storyline is miles ahead of Tactics Advance and your choices during dialogue (plus your performance against the final boss) bring large changes to the ending.

ALSO, YOU CAN NAME YOUR CHARACTERS. No having to settle for stupid and inane names like Abednego for soldiers you don't even actively acquire. You also don't have to constantly wait for a race/class you need to wander by and ask to be a part of your club... you just go to the soldier store and get what you need. Y'know, like what Tactics Advance failed to offer.

Also, if you feel under-leveled, you don't have to chasing down random people who seem to only run away from you if you want to fight them... just go into the training mode to pit half your team against the other half. No matter what location you're currently occupying, you can go train on a battlefield at that location.

onyx_sword

Apr 1, 2013
Wow! Most of my favorite GBA games have already been mentioned. On those, briefly...

Metroid Fusion & Zero Mission - Simple but challenging.
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap - My personal favorite out of all LoZ games.
Megaman Zero Series - Much more difficult than other MM games.
Pokemon Games - If you get one, get Emerald.
Final Fantasy I & II - Best portable FF, in my opinion.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I did not like Circle of the Moon, I know of 2 other GBA Castlevania games: Aria of Sorrow & Harmony of Dissonance. You might try those. I'm told all 3 are variations of Symphony of the Night.

If you like turn-based strategy rpgs... I can recommend 2 good ones. Both feature upgradable "giant robots" and pilots with levels/abilities.
Super Robot Taisen Original Generation - Most of the game is spent arranging units on a grid from an overhead view.
Zoids: Legacy - Plays like most jrpgs.

Favorite SNES port: Sword of Mana
Favorite NES port: Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
Fire Emblem: Path to Radiance. Never got around to the other Fire Emblem games, but I thoguht that one was great.

Advance Wars series: Great & fun turn based combat.

Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers: A great hack & slash game, one of my favorites of the genere. Personally I liekd it more than a lot of modern equivalents. Diablo III had nothing on this one in terms of pure entertainment value, IMO.

Breath of Fire I+II: My favorite Jrpg series, you can turn into a dragon. Both have their enjoyable quirks, and worth the money for sure.

Final Fantasy Tactics was fun, but I could never really stand the plot, or the main character. The Judge system was a roayal pain, I'll say that much. Still, thought it was good, if not as good as the others on this list.

Kayos

Apr 7, 2010
pokemon red, blue, (yellow somewhat), gold, silver, crystal (2nd gen is by far my favourite).
Ruby, sapphire, emerald- fire red and leaf green :p

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Pokemon of course, what else? And all versions of them. (although i enjoyed them more after they were in colour, not just different filters / grey)

But since everyone probably mentioned those i also liked the ghost busters or Mario games.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Meaning of Karma said:
Tactics Ogre was released two years before FF tactics.

They were also made by the same people.

Additionally, Ogre is way better.
Oh... I see. No wonder I didn't like Cling Together... it was the beta version of Tact-wait a minute... what's that...

Now it's even HARDER to read... hold on...

Oooh! Them be fightin' words. Okay, not really, but Tactics was better. I liked the story more, for one. Saving the world from an ancient evil that's been manipulating a corrupt church into escalating a war between two warmongering groups is more interesting than just focusing on the war and trying to win it for one side or the other. Sure, you didn't get to choose branching directions and endings, but meh, Ogre had just two different endings with variously changed details anyway. Still not better than Tactic's story (in my opinion, obviously). And I can't get enough of those Final Fantasy classes.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Harvest Moon

Wario Ware

Advance Gunstar Heroes

Advance Guardian Heroes

RedmistSM

Jan 30, 2010
Wario Land 4 was really good! Shorter than the previous ones, but a lot of fun, and I played through it tons of times. For action titles, I really liked Dragonball Advanced Adventure and Astro Boy Omega Factor. For RPGS, I loved Pokemon Ruby and the Golden Sun games, but in retrospect neither are the best of games, especially Golden Sun. Ruby was the one time I really delved into the depth of Pokemon and started breeding and EV training and stuff, though. Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga was wonderful, its combat system has been surpassed by Bowser's Inside Story, but it is still the funniest in the series.

Tropicaz

Aug 7, 2012
Pokemon Fire red and Ruby were class, of course, and I agree with wario land.
Golden Sun was awesome, I loved it.
Also advance wars 2: Black hole rising was awesome, provided hours of entertainment for me and my friends.