Your Favorite Terrible Movie. Or So Bad They're Awesome

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I'm pretty sure Black Sheep was meant to be a comedy, as in purposefully bad and cheesy. Still, it should count anyway.

Not so fond of 'so bad it's good'n stuff tbh. Not sure why, just doesn't do anything. Prefer to be engaged instead of pointing and laughing at failure. I envy those that do though, looks like ppl have a lot of fun with it, and can't deny that having fun is fun. Peter Jackson's old film's were about the closest to it I experienced. Oh wait, does the TV series of What We Do in the Shadows count? Maybe it is possible.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
Ahh, but which bad Black Sheep movie are you talking about. The just boring Black Sheep (1996) with Farley and Spade... or the really baaaaaaad Black Sheep (2006.) I'm pretty sure you mean 2006, I can't imagine anyone watching the 96 version and remembering having done so for more than a day or so.

Mine, probably Hudson Hawk. I know its terrible but I can't help it. Aiello and Willis singing tunes while stealing treasures is just guaranteed to put a smile on my face. Plus, a golf bag plunger grenade launcher... funniest deadly weapon ever.
... Really "Baaaaaa"d Black Sheep?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I usually don't go for "so bad, they're awesome" movies. The Room, Birdemic, The Happening, Manos The Hands of Fate or Plan 9. I think they're just plain bad and/or boring. With one exception:

The Wicker Man

The one that gave us Nic Cage in a bear suit punching a woman. The one with the bees. Not the good one with Christopher Lee.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I'm pretty sure Black Sheep was meant to be a comedy, as in purposefully bad and cheesy. Still, it should count anyway.
Yes, bad on purpose is still bad, so I count it.

Not so fond of 'so bad it's good'n stuff tbh. Not sure why, just doesn't do anything. Prefer to be engaged instead of pointing and laughing at failure.
I don't mean that the films are failure, when I say "so bad it's good." My primary example, The Last Dragon, I think is a good movie, as far as the overall structure. It's just got some very poorly combined components, and it's so deeply rooted in it's time, that it just makes you cringe due to how 80s it is. I mean they were seriously putting their hearts into that film, and they succeeded at making what they wanted. But I wouldn't say it's "high quality". But that doesn't matter. It's still GOOD. Flaws and all. But it's the combination of all those things, that makes it something I love. Which is why it's on this list.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
I don't mean that the films are failure, when I say "so bad it's good." My primary example, The Last Dragon, I think is a good movie, as far as the overall structure. It's just got some very poorly combined components, and it's so deeply rooted in it's time, that it just makes you cringe due to how 80s it is. I mean they were seriously putting their hearts into that film, and they succeeded at making what they wanted. But I wouldn't say it's "high quality". But that doesn't matter. It's still GOOD. Flaws and all. But it's the combination of all those things, that makes it something I love. Which is why it's on this list.
If you were a child of the 80's or 90's, you're well aware of this effect. It is what we were subsisted on. For example, The Breakin' Series.

They are legitimately trying here. And we can see past the somewhat marginal attempts and see that they are honestly trying to entertain us. That there is love here.

And the God Damned Man Had Magical Powers. Why Has That Never Been Brought Up?!

HE DANCES ON THE CEILING AND HE NEVER FINDS A WAY TO USE THAT TO HELP HIM?!

These are movies about winning respect via dance battles and saving a community center. They are not Jedi.

All Black People were magical in the 80's, is what I'm telling you.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
If you were a child of the 80's or 90's, you're well aware of this effect. It is what we were subsisted on. For example, The Breakin' Series.

They are legitimately trying here. And we can see past the somewhat marginal attempts and see that they are honestly trying to entertain us. That there is love here.

And the God Damned Man Had Magical Powers. Why Has That Never Been Brought Up?!

HE DANCES ON THE CEILING AND HE NEVER FINDS A WAY TO USE THAT TO HELP HIM?!

These are movies about winning respect via dance battles and saving a community center. They are not Jedi.
Quite right; I cannot see any Jedi using the force to have that kind of fun

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
So I'm sure it's going to get mentioned eventually but Repo! The genetic opera is pretty entertaining schlock movie and very much deserving of being watched, I mean it's a mid 2ks goth rock musical about evil corporations that control the government that are ripping people's organs out, I don't know what else needs to be said here.

Also Jason takes Manhattan, like seriously that shit's hilarious and Jason kicking the radio is downright iconic.

Also I wouldn't say it's a bad movie at all, in fact I'd say it's excellent but it's weird, crude and kinda disgusting but Naked Lunch is like a fantastic story about the perceived benefit of drugs vs the damage they actually do to you.

Also like everything Nicolas Cage is in, like I won't name anything because I genuinely think a lot of it is excellent, but almost every time I give a recommendation of a Nic Cage movie my friend's tell me it's trash, but yeah huge Nic Cage fan over here.

Ghostrick Dorklord

Ordinary High School Girl
Legacy
Oct 2, 2009
Through the Looking Glass
Country
Wonderland
I was thinking about this for a while now and I really can't think of anything really. Maybe because I don't watch too many movies so it doesn't come to mind but I think I have an example...

The Jurassic Park movies past the first one are constantly debated whether or not they're good or completely garbo. I'm gonna assume that most people consider them the latter so I'm mentioning them here. Yeah they all have various degree in quality but honestly I'm not in it for the story, rather I'm here for the dinosaurs. You put on big dumb dino action I watch. I honestly can't think of any other major dinosaur movie franchises other than Carnosaur to quell my thirst for dinosaur fun but what can you do?

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Kung Pow! Enter the Fist has to be the dumbest fucking movie i genuinely enjoyed.

It's stupid even as an idea on a paper. It uses footage from an old kung-fu movie, with everyone dubbed with caricatural voices and main hero being digitally inserted Steve Oedekekekerk. As an example scene:

The whole movie is like this. It's like a feature length YTP.
And maybe that's why it was still funny to me. It's not a good film by any means(it's arguably even a film), but it got me with how utterly absurd it was. It's somehow a bad comedy that still made me laugh.

Last edited:

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
... Really "Baaaaaa"d Black Sheep?
I'm not even sure why I watched it. Genetically modified sheep turn humans into zombies comedy isn't my usual thing but I watched it anyway. I can definitely see "so bad its good" potential there. I didn't like it, but it makes sense in a so bad its good list. Its basically a cheaper New Zealand centered Slither, and just like that I didn't like it but understood why people did.

Another entry, Space Truckers. Its my go-to anytime someone is talking about the stellar filmography of Dennis Hopper. I always have to add "yeah, and then he was in Space Truckers." Dennis Hopper, some other actors, and a bad guy cybernetically enhanced with a pull starting...

Yes, if your mind went there, there is a scene where he grabs the rope and pull starts it.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I'm not even sure why I watched it. Genetically modified sheep turn humans into zombies comedy isn't my usual thing but I watched it anyway. I can definitely see "so bad its good" potential there. I didn't like it, but it makes sense in a so bad its good list. Its basically a cheaper New Zealand centered Slither, and just like that I didn't like it but understood why people did.

Another entry, Space Truckers. Its my go-to anytime someone is talking about the stellar filmography of Dennis Hopper. I always have to add "yeah, and then he was in Space Truckers." Dennis Hopper, some other actors, and a bad guy cybernetically enhanced with a pull starting...

Yes, if your mind went there, there is a scene where he grabs the rope and pull starts it.
If I may quote the late but great Sir Christopher Lee "An actor should expect to be in bad films, the trick is not to be bad in these films". I cannot imagine anyone giving a shit about Space Truckers if a talent like Dennis Hopper wasn't in it and acting like he'd just done a line of coke the length of a very leggy prostitute.

This is from "The Return of Captain Invincible". A superhero parody/deconstruction/something by Richard O'Brien - he of Rocky Horror Picture Show fame - and Alan Arkin as the titular Captain Invincible.

But no one gives a fuck; because there's aforementioned Sir Christopher playing a supervillain to the hilt and singing a song about alcohol because the good Captain is a raging boozer; and defeating him. Who cares if the rest of the movie is shit, because it gave us this..

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Oh, I got one I think now, it is pretty bad, and am not one for gross out humour but it had a scene that went so over the top it did break a chuckle, just gotta google search the title cause it's escaped the brain...

GRIMSBY! With Sacha Baron Cohen and Mark Strong, a lot of low hanging fruit but was a bit of dumb fun with some iffy 'working class' humour. Tends to help being not quite sober too.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Nobody mention Road House yet? The fuck is wrong with you people!?

Patrick Swayze with the mother of all mullets, and the sexiest Sam Elliot you've ever seen.
But is Road House considered bad? It isn't my favorite but I wouldn't call it bad.

Oh and I had a tribute mention that also is borderline between bad and just 90's action movie. The late Wilford Brimley (oh, and Jean Claude Van Damme) in John Woo's first American film Hard Target. Brimley brings the quality of acting in the film up pretty significantly as Jean Claude's Uncle Douvee.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
But is Road House considered bad? It isn't my favorite but I wouldn't call it bad.
It's still well made, in that it's shot well and acted well, but it's dumb as a fucking brick. Patrick Swayze as this honourable master bouncer who lives in the attic of a stable above the noble horses, doing bare-chested tai-chi. And that's just him. The whole movie is laced in this ridiculously dumb badassery.

But to clarify, a movie needs to have a semblance of quality for me to enjoy how bad it is. I'm not going to bother with actual shit movies, my entertainment time is too precious to me for that. But movies like Road House or Troy, those I can enjoy ironically.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's still well made, in that it's shot well and acted well, but it's dumb as a fucking brick. Patrick Swayze as this honourable master bouncer who lives in the attic of a stable above the noble horses, doing bare-chested tai-chi. And that's just him. The whole movie is laced in this ridiculusly dumb badassery.

But to clarify, a movie needs to have a semblance of quality for me to enjoy how bad it is. I'm not going to bother with actual shit movies, my entertainment time is too precious to me for that. But movies like Road House or Troy, those I can enjoy ironically.
I get what you mean, but you can enjoy Roadhouse unironically. I just take it for what it is. My parents, especially my mom, love this movie and Patrick Swayze. And they do not love it "ironically".

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I get what you mean, but you can enjoy Roadhouse unironically. I just take it for what it is. My parents, especially my mom, love this movie and Patrick swayze. And they do not love it "ironically".
Oh, I take it for what it is as well, since I'm sure the filmmakers were aware of how dumb this whole premise was. Though I do think that at the time they intended for a couple aspects to be legitimately cool and badass, like Swayze's hair and his whole demeaner. Then there's the bad guys who are so blood-spittingly evil, it's just kinda hilarious. The infamous line 'I used to fuck guys like you in prison' is so preposterously evil that it becomes impossible to take serious, but then that's also what makes it so awesome.

And for the record, I LOVE Patrick Swayze. The dude was my hero growing up. Nobody could get as pissed as he could. When Swayze got mad the planet started sweating.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Oh and I had a tribute mention that also is borderline between bad and just 90's action movie. The late Wilford Brimley (oh, and Jean Claude Van Damme) in John Woo's first American film Hard Target. Brimley brings the quality of acting in the film up pretty significantly as Jean Claude's Uncle Douvee.
Big Hard Target fan here too. I love that movie; gotta remind myself to get the blu ray. I do recommend the sequel. It's not as good as the original of course, but Scott Adkins actually does a good job. A lot of the actions good, though there is some parts were they use shaky cam on people who don't have a martial arts background. Thankfully that's rare.

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Hollow Point. I mean I wouldn't say its terrible, but its certainly a dumb action movie that is super fun.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Big Hard Target fan here too. I love that movie; gotta remind myself to get the blu ray. I do recommend the sequel. It's not as good as the original of course, but Scott Adkins actually does a good job. A lot of the actions good, though there is some parts were they use shaky bcam on people who don't have a martial arts background. Thankfully that's rare.
I've seen the sequel. Really suffers from not being directed by John Woo, and the comparison to the original does not do it any favors. It could have benefitted by just not acknowledging any connection to the original and changing the title, but then I'm guessing no one would have watched it out of curiosity like I did... meaning almost no one would have watched it at all.

Coming back to this thread, I can't believe I haven't mentioned my favorite "so bad its good" movie of all time... Split Second. Rutger Hauer is (this name is cheese at its best) Harley Stone, edgiest of on the edge detectives fueled by a gamer's caffeine intake plus a 6-year-old's level of sugar consumption. Stone is partnered with a new detective who is a fastidious stick up his ass type. Stone's love interest is Kim Cattrall, who has a shower scene and... well she has a shower scene and a couple of badass action girl moments. It’s half-past the future in a global-warming flooded London and the "Zodiac" style serial killer menacing the streets of London is half xenomorph, half plague rat, and half demon. Yes three halves, it is also fairly huge. But as Hauer’s “Harley Stone” would be quick to remind everyone, there’s no problem that copious amounts of large enough bullets can’t solve.

And it used to be, you couldn't ever find this movie. Outside its native U.K., there was some sort of distribution legal complication meaning that no one was streaming it and physical copies outside of Region 2 were very rare. Must have been cleared up since, I think its on Amazon Prime now. I love it. It is very aware of how ridiculous its stock-type characters are, and its dialogue is studded with quips and jokes... but its setting of a half underwater London is interesting and fairly innovative and genuinely unsettling. Its effects were really pretty good considering its budget and for the time of its release. And like any good horror movie, until you actually get a good look at "the creature" it is an effectively scary antagonist. Think a xenomorph that has human level intelligence and a serial killer's fascination for toying with the police that are hunting it.

Reactions: BrawlMan