Your First Anime

Mray3460

Jul 27, 2008
My questions are these: 1) What is the first Anime you ever watched (If you've ever watched an anime), 2) How were you introduced to it, and 3) Did it make you want to watch more anime (Why or Why not)?

1) Death Note.
2) I'd been friends with an Albino African American Anime Otaku (no joke) for years, and he'd always tell me about various forms of anime and, after we got to know each other a bit, suggesting ones that I might like, but I've never taken the time to watch any of them because A. I'd always be too busy to sit down and watch an entire series and B. Most of the "good" ones that he describes seemed...well...weird (A notebook that kills people, a ninja in an orange jumpsuit that turns into a group of bikini clad women, cowboys in space, cowboys in space again but with rock music, a rubber band pirate, and countless renditions of giant robots fighting eachother). I finally got some down time though, took his advice, and watched Death Note (The first one he ever suggested to me, and one of two that he spoke of most frequently, the other being Naruto).
3) While I expected it to be entertaining (I knew that no one would watch it if it didn't have some merit) I was surprised and delighted by the deep character development and stunning attention to detail. I still go back and watch some of the more awesome "No ****ing way...!" moments every now and again. Needless to say, it made me want to watch other animes.

Note: If this has been done before, please link to the original thread.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
1. Shaman King
2. My bro showed me a TV channel that played Anime after 10pm =]
3. sometimes, (see avatar) I loved Lucky Star a lot, but most animes i cant seem to get into.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
1-Love Hina

2-Me and my brother just saw the DVD and bought it.

3-Yes. Anime is cool and I like it. Therefore, I continue to watch it.

UAProxy

Sep 11, 2009
I'm First Anime!?

Oh god. What have I been doing with my life?

Oh, and Cardcaptor Sakura. In Japanese before it released in America.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Not including 'kids shows' like pokemon, DBZ etc. (because that would be 95% of peoples I imagine)?

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Introduced by a friend who had an episode up on her myspace. It was the first episode if you go in chronological order (but not in series order).

It did. I watched all the episodes almost back to back. I then went onto other Animes. I am still extremely picky about Anime, I haven't watched half the shows people on here have, even though they are well known and popular.

DrScoobs

Mar 6, 2009
bleach was my first. it was kl but then i realised that there was so much better out there

dandahammer

Partaker of adult beverages
Jun 2, 2009
Movie was Akira and TV was Ranma 1/2.
If I'm remembering right, it was at Dragoncon back in '93.

stormcaller

Sep 6, 2008
1) Pokemon
2) It was on TV at the time.
3) Yes, I loved the idea of cute fuzzy animals harnessing elemental power to beat each other to near death for our amusement. I was an interesting child to say the least. The only other anime I've watched properly is Dragonball Z though, ahh the days of running around the school yard as Super Saiyan infinity.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Well:

1) DBZ (bet you everyone is going to say that)

2)Saw it on a Tv screen at Burger King playplace

3)For a while. I was around seven, it was new and everyone was talking about different kinds of anime. Recently I've been watching less of it.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
1st Pokémon, if you don't count it Yu-Gi-Oh! If you don't count that, Love Hina.

Introduced via Saturday morning cartoons

When I started watching it was just another cartoon to me, as was Yu Gi Oh! Not sure when i realised it was actually a Animé, so I couldn't say.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
1.) Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam Wing
2.) My friend showed it to me when I was 10.
3.) I have enough Gundam shit that I could probably rival John Funk with all of it.

minoes

Aug 28, 2008
1. Mazinger Z.
2. That was my Dad´s favorite cartoon after the Flintstones.
3. Not really, the one that got me interested in "anime" was Candy Candy.

Azraellod

Dec 23, 2008
1)pokemon i think (i was about 7... i think)

2) a friend heard about it somehow, and convinced me to watch it (not that i needed much convincing at whatever age i was).

3) i was too young to understand what anime really was as opposed to any other cartoon. i did end up watching others like it though, if that's what you mean.

Pink_Pirate

Jul 11, 2009
man that a tough one... i think probably DBZ for me...so
1) DBZ
2) had a japanese/greenlandic friend who had some VHS tapes of it from japan.
3) i fell in love with the abstract art style, i dunno what it was about it. To this day my interest in anime is primarily from a artistic point of view, so most of the series I get into are because of the quality of the art and animation.

skularis

Sep 18, 2008
Robotech was the first one i ever watched after that i got into Gundam wing outlaw star ruroni kenshin cowboy bebop ghost in the shell and im still finding more that i like to watch newest one to catch my interest in one called Fate Stay Knight.......oh and Trinity Blood is one i never get tired of watching.

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
Well, I'm not going to count Pokémon. But other than that, I think it was Trigun... Though I'm not sure.

Georgeman

Mar 2, 2009
1. Dragonball (like every person and their dog)
2. Well one of the main tv channels were showing it and everybody in high school was talking about it.
3. Not really. While I did watch Pokemon and a bit Yugioh for a while, the dubbing sucked seriously and I lost interest quickly. It wouldn't be till I watched Elfen Lied (in Japanese) where I would get a more active interest in anime.