Your First Anime

gaw

Sep 29, 2009
"Starblazers" (aka. Space Battleship Yamato), "Speed Racer"
(yes .. I'm old :) )

Hollock

Jun 26, 2009
1) pokemon 2) my aunt got a vhs of it for me for christmas (i didnt have the channel it aired on now i have a HUGE collection of pokemon vhs [i might be missing 2 or 3 episodes from the orginal red/blue/yellow saga])If it werent for that i probably would have turned out a very different person than i am today. 3) no because i thought anime was stupid :-( . Now i really like a small percentage of anime but it's either really really likes or neutral to. this summer i just got over really shitty openings (i've only ever liked the first bleach one andt the first pokemon) and the hair. Why cant they ever stick to one theme song anymore?!?

weirdaljedifan2

Apr 12, 2008
1) Pokémon or Dragonball Z
2) Cartoon Network/Toonami
3) I did watch Yu-Gi-Oh later on. And I watched Strawberry Panic all the way through pretty recently.

Phantomess

Sep 19, 2009
1. Saber Marionette J
2. Friend's brother let her watch it, she sat me down and made ME watch it, too. Absolutely adored it. We then watched AKIRA. I think I was about nine...
3. Sure, I liked the style and the action, but I think it was the quirky storyline that made me really interested. I'm more into the Scrapped Princess collection at the moment, though, but I'm also lovin' BlackJack.

this_was_a_mistake

May 22, 2008
1) Either DBZ or Gundam
2) I don't know, me and my sister were just watching it one day.
3) Yes...until about six grade when I totally got over it.

EDIT: Oh...it was Pokemon!

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
Er... Samurai Pizza Cats? That was anime right? I just watched it 'cause that's what was on. Total rip-off of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles though.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Superior Mind said:
Er... Samurai Pizza Cats? That was anime right? I just watched it 'cause that's what was on. Total rip-off of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles though.
Heavens, another person who knows the Samurai Pizza Cats! It was my favourite childhood cartoon, and happened to be indeed an anime cartoon. So yeah that'd be my first one as well. Obviously inspired by the Teenage Mutant Turtles, but I loved it way more, I devoured all the delicious over-the-top-ness and shameless self-parody. Plus I prefer cats over turtles.

My first serious anime was Cowboy Bebop, and is still my favourite.

No one got me into them, I just stumbled across them and I just kept watching. They didn't really get me into more anime, that only happened when I went to college and met a bunch of fellow nerds. I've never réally gotten into anime though, I watch the occasional episode, and recently live-action has taken over anime again.

Suikun

Mar 25, 2009
1. Sailor Moon (Which probably explains a lot...)

2. Watching Cartoon Network habitually, and the Toonami era took me to the magical world there.

3. YES. I loved the pretty colors and interesting story. I'm sure that probably plays into a few things in later life, but hey, it's a pretty good starter anime. I still like watching episodes today, now that I actually understand more of what's going on. Turns out in first grade, you don't really retain much more than an episode or two.

Textbook Bobcat

Sep 9, 2009
Between Dragon Ball Z and Pokemon, back I still hadn't entered my first decade of living.

Aside from a couple (Afro Samurai, Spirited Away, Steamboy immediately spring to mind) I haven't seen any others.

iJosh

Nov 21, 2007
1. Dragonball
2. Randomly on cartoon channel
3. Just the sequel and so on.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Escaflowne. It had the best english anime intro I've ever knew.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5ZXbrqPjKM

Although, it had the worst english voice actors I've ever knew...

mugetsu37

Sep 26, 2009
1) Tenchi Muyo

2) Saw it on at a friend's house (fortunately, one of the clean episodes). I was about 9 or 10 at the time, so it didn't really seem that funny to me.

3) Nope, didn't really start watching anime for another 6 years or so.

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
1) Dragonball Z
2) My mom's boyfriend recorded it and a bunch of Toonami shows on tape and gave me it.
3) Actually, it made me want to watch Toonami more, which led to me watching more anime, so yeah.